football
Latest News:
register rules help contact Image Map

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

Would you rather.....
20 May, 2017 00:55
Have survived relegation from league two yet stayed around the bottom half of the table or be in our current position but guaranteed promotion next season?

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

Re: Would you rather.....
20 May, 2017 08:06
What info do you have? Guaranteed promotion.No-one will roll over for us.Wrexham finished 2nd with 98 points and are still in this league.We have to start all over again and hope that we can do it this time round. SWA

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 08:56
Rafa Benitez used a colourful expression when Newcastle were relegated posing the question, "Would you rather be the head of the lion or the tall of the mouse?" We are now the head off the lion as far as the National League is concerned.

Clearly there are financial implications to a prolonged exile from the Football League but purely from a supporter's experience it is a valid question to consider. Winning football, lots of goals scored in the 'right' end, an appreciative and supportive crowd to be a member of, exposure on live national television, two realistic chances of getting to Wembley each year and a genuine sense of expectation and excitement.

Those mouse tail clubs such as Hartlepool in League 2 season after season have a sense of dread that their fall from grace is imminent, watch more defeats than victories, sing "We Are Staying Up" with decreasing enthusiasm, and more with a sense of resignation. Few goals to cheer, frequently changed managers and a ten second slot on Channel 5 is your only national media exposure.

There is a lot to enjoy while we witness the re-vitalisation and hopefully the beginning of a renaissance under the Palios' and Micky in the National League.

As Tranmere69 pointed out though, we must be prepared for next season to not be guaranteed anything and get behind the team from the first minute of the first game. Someone else pointed out that last year was the year they started enjoying going to home games again and for me it was the year that it became a source of pride to be a Tranmere supporter again and to be comfortable in encouraging family and friends to visit Prenton Park too. After a few years of apologising for being a supporter, the increase in crowds suggest that a number of people have also had their pride rekindled.

I want promotion so much, and believe that it is the start of something bigger but I am determined to enjoy our promotion push again next season with enthusiasm. No point in being morose and depressed about the season just ended. I want the team to be lifted and it finally feels as if we'll be going into a new season not with the weight of expectation that killed Brabin's first season but with a sense of optimism and anticipation and togetherness. C'mon!

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 09:45
Just to point out, the original post was hypothetical. On that basis, give me league football anytime. I remember some fans being please we got relegated under Aldo as we would be big and successful in a lower league; incidentally, how wrong were they. I hated that attitude at the time as I would rather have the challenge of playing "bigger" teams in "bigger" stadiums with "bigger" support; even if our success rate is lower. To me, there's an air of defeatism accepting being in a lower league even if we are successful. Don't get me wrong, I still feel pride supporting the boys at Guiseley, but the pride would be magnified if we took the slight detour to Bradford and yet again to Leeds. Still, I enjoyed your positive slant on it Koppette.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 14:46
Quote:
Phil65
Just to point out, the original post was hypothetical. On that basis, give me league football anytime. I remember some fans being please we got relegated under Aldo as we would be big and successful in a lower league; incidentally, how wrong were they. I hated that attitude at the time as I would rather have the challenge of playing "bigger" teams in "bigger" stadiums with "bigger" support; even if our success rate is lower. To me, there's an air of defeatism accepting being in a lower league even if we are successful. Don't get me wrong, I still feel pride supporting the boys at Guiseley, but the pride would be magnified if we took the slight detour to Bradford and yet again to Leeds. Still, I enjoyed your positive slant on it Koppette.

good post phil..league footy all the time.. just wish we could turn the clock back about 168 hours.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 18:15
Since my Tranmere bets for the season are now bin fodder, think I will gamble on Tranmere as champions and FGR to be relegated..

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 18:44
Quote:
853OKG
Since my Tranmere bets for the season are now bin fodder, think I will gamble on Tranmere as champions and FGR to be relegated..

Think that has to be the only way. My nerves couldn't take another play-off saga!! If FGR stay up, so be it; revenge will be sweet!

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 19:43
I hope FGR stay up, we need to show the void between ours and league 2.

I've put £20 on champions already.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 21:00
Quote:
Hardly Irons
I hope FGR stay up, we need to show the void between ours and league 2.
I've put £20 on champions already.

After 20 years of bets as champions ( really thought I had cracked it on Ronnie's run when they beat LO away on my birthday) think I will do an each way!

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

21 May, 2017 09:25
I do a tenner on us winning the league and a tenner on us being promoted . If we're champions you get both bets up .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net