football
Latest News:

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

Total Tranmere Q&A with James Norwood
19 May, 2017 09:30
Every Friday during this summer, to give the Total Tranmere readers something to actually read, other than rumours and gossip. I’ll be bringing you a Q&A session that I have done with some of the players or staff. This week James Norwood kindly took the time to speak to me, the day after the playoff defeat.

Andy: How much harder was yesterday for you, seeing as it was Forest Green?

James: It wasn’t any harder for me being Forest Green, it couldn’t hurt any more falling at the last hurdle, it didn’t matter who we played, it was just so hard to take.

Andy: You signed a new contract during the season, so you’re here for the long term, what is it about the club that made you want to stay on?

James: It was an easy decision for me, everything about the club made me want to stay, from the players to the fans. The fans made it easy for me, the vast majority have shown me so much support in the time I’ve been here, so I want to stay to give them what they deserve, and that’s league football.

Andy: You formed a great partnership with Cole and Conner in the final third of the season, but how do you rate your season as a whole?

James: My season personally was up and down, I started well and then an injury and a ban hampered me a little bit, and I struggled to find the net. 3 goals in 18 games isn’t good enough but I found a little bit of form in the last 10 games and finished with 5 in 5 at the back end, so hopefully I can take that into next season.

Andy: Eastleigh away – you missed a couple of chances, and the tone of the fans changed. Instead of being frustrated, everyone wanted you to score more than anyone else on the pitch. I think we celebrated your goal more than Bens! At the end of the match, we could see what it meant to you. How does it feel to end a drought like that, is it something that plays on your mind?

James: I could feel it, I think I’d had chances cleared off the line, hit the post etc in the previous games and my job is to score goals, if I’m not doing that then I don’t feel like I’m doing my part. It was massive for me to get that goal, I could feel the love from the crowd and I think they were just as relieved as I was! Again, I have to thank them for sticking with me and showing me so much support during that time.

Andy: Talking of jobs, if you weren’t a professional footballer, what would you be?

James: I had a business scholarship to Michigan University, America. So I would have completed my studies there and done something along them lines.

(Andy: I wasn’t expecting that answer)

Andy: What does the end of season hold for you? How much time do you get off? Is it a case of holidays and relaxing, or staying fit?

James: It’s going to take a couple of weeks to get through this, I’ll rest up because it’s been a 50+ game season, then I’ll be in the gym doing everything I can to make sure I can play my part in making sure that this doesn’t happen again.

Andy: What’s the hardest thing about being a footballer? Is it maintaining the constant fitness, or something else?

James: The hardest thing is the mental torture you go through. As you get older you learn to deal with it. You can go from the top of the world to the bottom in 90 minutes. You can’t replicate that feeling of winning, and a lot of people won’t know what it’s like to lose, and to go home knowing that thousands of people have paid money to watch the team they love lose. It’s horrible, you take everything personally.

Andy: You’ve lived on Merseyside for 2 years now, do you consider it home? Or will home always be where you grew up?

James: It’s a difficult one. I feel at home at Tranmere as a club and with the fans it feels like I’ve been here a lifetime. I’ve bought a house up here because I’m planning on being here for as long as Tranmere want me. But home is wherever my mum and dad live. Because it’s a smallish town, I’ve got a close knit friendship group and my parents there, so home for me is Eastbourne, but Liverpool is definitely my second home.

Andy: And finally, what was your favourite moment of the season, and your favourite goal?

James: My favourite moments of the season was probably the Chester and Wrexham wins, as a Tranmere player you realise the magnitude of these games, and how important it is for the fans to have “bragging rights” on the opposition fans for however long it is before the next game. We were fortunate enough to take 10 points out of 12 against our main rivals.
For me the favourite goal was Eastleigh at home, 94th minute winner and to see how the players and fans reacted was something special. That, or the second goal at home to Aldershot to seal our place at Wembley. To score in front of 10,000 fans is special, but to score in front of 10,000 of your own made it all the better for myself.

A massive thank you to James Norwood for doing this. Love him or hate him, he always puts a shift in and gives 100%.

Next week: Ben Tollitt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2017 20:46 by mini_andy.

MESSAGES->author
Rizla (IP Logged)

Re: Total Tranmere Q&A with James Norwood
19 May, 2017 09:44
Great article Andy.

ShaunCH45
ShaunCH45 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 11:02
Enjoyed reading this. Looking forward to the next

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 11:21
Great ,you get a feel of what the player as a person is about .

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 11:47
I'm guessing that scholarship he was talking about was to play football for them as well. A lot of US universities offer academic scholarships for those gifted in certain sports. You play for their team, which helps them attract students and they give you a free education. They are tough to get though but it's a great route to a degree for those not quite good enough to make it to a pro contract, provided you have the academic qualifications as well.

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 12:03
Its just a shame nobody in these interviews ever has the guts to suggest to Norwood that he has a few sessions with John Aldridge in the close season who can show him how to finish one-ones.

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 14:53
Good article Andy, it will make a change to read instead of all the gossip and rumours as you say! However, there's no pleasing some!!!!

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 15:13
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Its just a shame nobody in these interviews ever has the guts to suggest to Norwood that he has a few sessions with John Aldridge in the close season who can show him how to finish one-ones.

That's a sure fire way of ending the interview quickly, as well as stopping other ones. Most current contracted players weren't overly keen to do them anyway!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2017 16:15 by mini_andy.

shankstheman
shankstheman (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 15:20
I remember the days when Chris Malkin could have five 1 on 1's a game and only then maybe only score 1. For me it's all about getting in those situations and how Nors gets into to those positions is by pure grit and determination, it'll come Nors and best of luck for next season. Finally thanks Andy for taking your time out to keep us in touch, great idea!!

Wirral Mike
Wirral Mike (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 17:45
A nice piece Andy and the absence of 'sick as a parrot' and 'over the moon david' answers is duly noted together with the respectful and positive attitude to the Wirral / Merseyside area. Nors is clearly a footballer whose brains are not only in his feet. If his run with the ball and pass to Stockton in the Play Off 1st leg was by de Bruner to Aguero or Ozil to Sanchez MOTD would play it over and over again and the pundits would be in raptures. Looking forward to seeing this hard working, articulate and intelligent player gracing PP again next year.

stairwaytoheaven
stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 21:01
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

Cannot believe you actually posted that, so what exactly would you do to boost the lads confidence, and what do you expect of a non-league player. The lad playing for FGR who scored the 1 on 1 last Sunday was on loan from Wigan, hardly non league is it, give Nors a break.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 23:05
Quote:
stairwaytoheaven
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

Cannot believe you actually posted that, so what exactly would you do to boost the lads confidence, and what do you expect of a non-league player. The lad playing for FGR who scored the 1 on 1 last Sunday was on loan from Wigan, hardly non league is it, give Nors a break.
+1 You can be absolutely certain that he spends hours working with coaches to improve.
Great interview, and nice to see that players are willing to engage with fans, the least we can do is be respectful when they do.
The most telling part was the question about Eastleigh away, it shows that as fans we do make a difference to the players. I was at the game cheering him on after he had hit the post, there were a lot of positive vibes from the travelling SWA, the joy from fans and players when he scored was something incredible.
The only part of the interview I'd argue with is when he says his job is scoring goals, yes it clearly is, but it is also working hard for the team, defending from the front and setting up goals and that is something which he has done brilliantly at, particularly in the latter part of the season. I've no doubt he will read this thread, simple message is, James keep at it focus on the goals you score and the ones you set up, forget the ones you miss, but continue to learn from them and improve as I am certain you will.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 23:18
Every time you score James, my wife and I in the Kop or on a train or anywhere say Lord Norwoods special boots

luckyseven
luckyseven (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 01:12
Got a lot of love for Nors. Puts a shift in every game, never stops making runs, tracks back, creates space for others with his positioning and runs, he's good on the ball, rapid, and I've never seem him give less than 100%. He offers a lot more to the team than just a goal threat, the lad is an athlete, and you can see from his reaction when something goes wrong that he genuinely cares. Just needs that little bit of belief in himself in 1 on 1s, to have confidence, not stress in front of goal, and just enjoy his footy. No doubt he's gonna be great next season.

Viking Tranmere

21 May, 2017 13:07
Quote:
mini_andy
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

That's a sure fire way of ending the interview quickly, as well as stopping other ones. Most current contracted players weren't overly keen to do them anyway!

Indeed, that is really the job of the Management. Not just Norwood but some of the young players coming through would benefit from a few sessions with "the Gunslinger" .. I'm sure he would help if asked.
Nice interview, JN is a good bloke, and a good player who gives 100%.

RonnyBE
RonnyBE (IP Logged)

22 May, 2017 13:37
First of all, thanks for the interview and insight – I think we’re all behind Norwood to make another step up next season together with TRFC.

One thing I’ve been pondering about (and I’m not sure how active the club is in that field at the moment) is whether it might be a good investment for him to get together with a mental coach for a few sessions. He himself indicated that the toughest part of the game is the mental torture and responsibility. Those one-on-one’s could be much more a case of ‘staying cool’ rather than technical capacities plus the fact that the 1 vs 1 situations are becoming a ‘thing’ for him probably wouldn’t help either. Some mental tricks to cope with that might push the balance to the right side. Getting together with a mental coach is something that only works for some – for others it’s a waste of time – but it might be worth a shot in his case. He seems like a clever guy and might be open for such a thing.

Looking forth to the next interview and best of luck in 17/18 to James.

pc1968
pc1968 (IP Logged)

22 May, 2017 21:10
When talking about missed chances remember we scored the most goals for many years
In fact if we hadn't missed all those penalties we would have got to 100

Missing one on ones is very frustrating
Whilst someone worked out that 8 missed penalties ( yes 8 ) remarkably didn't actually cost us any points there's no doubt that the one on ones certainly did

I'm sure james Norwood knows there is "room for improvement " and will do everything he can to put things right

Not sure about a mental coach ....
Maybe Harry Kane could spare us an hour !!!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 May, 2017 21:48
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
stairwaytoheaven
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

+1 You can be absolutely certain that he spends hours working with coaches to improve.
Great interview, and nice to see that players are willing to engage with fans, the least we can do is be respectful when they do.
The most telling part was the question about Eastleigh away, it shows that as fans we do make a difference to the players. I was at the game cheering him on after he had hit the post, there were a lot of positive vibes from the travelling SWA, the joy from fans and players when he scored was something incredible.
The only part of the interview I'd argue with is when he says his job is scoring goals, yes it clearly is, but it is also working hard for the team, defending from the front and setting up goals and that is something which he has done brilliantly at, particularly in the latter part of the season. I've no doubt he will read this thread, simple message is, James keep at it focus on the goals you score and the ones you set up, forget the ones you miss, but continue to learn from them and improve as I am certain you will.

Agree totally. Was Viking at Eastleigh? If he was,then he'd understand more.

tranmerepete
tranmerepete (IP Logged)

23 May, 2017 08:31
I would say he needs someone like Aldo to come in a show him. He hits it at the keeper every time. Bring in a coach for the forwards to learn from......

Every ball is a white ball............TRFC

MESSAGES->author
acc928 (IP Logged)

23 May, 2017 09:13
Eastleigh when Nors scored was amazing, it was as if we willed him to score and his response to us in the crowd said it all. At the final whistle Mickey went straight over and hugged him.

MESSAGES->author

23 May, 2017 09:18
Quote:
tranmerepete
I would say he needs someone like Aldo to come in a show him. He hits it at the keeper every time. Bring in a coach for the forwards to learn from......
Part of the art of finishing is the ability to stay calm and pass the ball into the net in those situations. Imnot sure you can teach someone that composure. It's not anything technical. Good finishers have it, ones that aren't so good don't - they go for pace of shot, which makes the keeper's job easier. There's no way Norwood would have played pretty much all his career in this standard if he was a better finisher. Think about what he brings to the team rather than his flaws. Every player in this standard has flaws.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

23 May, 2017 11:07
Quite a few of these ''misses'' are great work by the keepers. That is their job-shot stopping.

MESSAGES->author

23 May, 2017 11:49
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quite a few of these ''misses'' are great work by the keepers. That is their job-shot stopping.
Yes, but as a former keeper that's exactly what you want someone to do in a one on one. It gives you a great chance of deflecting it wide or away from goal. The ones you hate are the guys who slot it calmly along the ground into the corner, or who go round you, before you get too close. The specialities of Messrs Aldridge and Muir respectively. The guy who hits it hard always gives you a chance.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

23 May, 2017 12:52
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Yes, but as a former keeper that's exactly what you want someone to do in a one on one. It gives you a great chance of deflecting it wide or away from goal. The ones you hate are the guys who slot it calmly along the ground into the corner, or who go round you, before you get too close. The specialities of Messrs Aldridge and Muir respectively. The guy who hits it hard always gives you a chance.
As a former keeper myself I agree with this post

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

23 May, 2017 13:00
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Hoots Mon
As a former keeper myself I agree with this post

I agree totally with both of you but if it was the opposition player who was through one on one on Scot Davies and he saved/blocked it,we would be saying ''great save Scottie'' not ''bad miss ******''

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

23 May, 2017 13:40
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Hoots Mon

Hi Doogie, on the subject of former great Rovers strikers like Aldo n Muir, I was recently looking through my excellent 'Tranmere Rovers the complete record book' the other day and was looking back at our 1975/76 promotion season and Ronnie moore scored 37 goals for us that season. 34 in the league and 3 in the league cup. he scored 8 times in the space of a week..

Dec 27 div 4 home vs Stockport won 5-0 , Ronnie scored 4 of them
Jan 3 div 4 away vs Newport won 5-1 , Ronnie scored 4 of them ( Mr Palios our other scorer that day )

He also scored 4 goals earlier that season in a 5-1 home win vs Brentford.

this promotion season was the season in which we were dumped out of the FA Cup in the 1st round by non league Coventry Sporting.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2017 13:56 by hong kong rover.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

23 May, 2017 15:28
He misses more one on ones because his pace allows him to get in that position more often than others.Even when not scoring his running brings something extra to the side. He is the kind of player that will always have some supporters on his back but he will give you 15+ goals most seasons.We rarely look at our best when he is not playing

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

23 May, 2017 15:54
Quote:
DevonExile
He misses more one on ones because his pace allows him to get in that position more often than others.Even when not scoring his running brings something extra to the side. He is the kind of player that will always have some supporters on his back but he will give you 15+ goals most seasons.We rarely look at our best when he is not playing

+1

tranmerepete
tranmerepete (IP Logged)

23 May, 2017 22:10
Going 1 on 1 with a keeper is ability not keeping calm. You can be as calm as you want but with out ability you limited. No one said he is not a great player but he could also improve his timing and 1 on 1 play.......

Every ball is a white ball............TRFC

Viking Tranmere

24 May, 2017 12:33
Give Norwood his due, he has improved on his offsides. We can't though afford another season of him constantly - and lets not kid ourselves - it is constantly - missing easy chances - including penalties. In my opinion I think this is an area we have to improve either with getting him better coaching - Aldo is an obvious - or by playing someone else. The coach could also work with Jeff Hughes because the lad has absolutely no idea in front of goal.

Next season, if Tollitt is fit and we continue with wing backs, having Tollitt and Connor feeding off either Stockton or Cook (if we can keep either!) should give us that fire power without us having to sign anyone.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 14:09
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Give Norwood his due, he has improved on his offsides. We can't though afford another season of him constantly - and lets not kid ourselves - it is constantly - missing easy chances - including penalties. In my opinion I think this is an area we have to improve either with getting him better coaching - Aldo is an obvious - or by playing someone else. The coach could also work with Jeff Hughes because the lad has absolutely no idea in front of goal.

Next season, if Tollitt is fit and we continue with wing backs, having Tollitt and Connor feeding off either Stockton or Cook (if we can keep either!) should give us that fire power without us having to sign anyone.

Your paranoid obsession with sticking the boot into one of our best players is well beyond a joke-BUT you are entitled to your bonkers opinions.I have seen what is said about your views elsewhere. Please don't let it get to the same stage here

Viking Tranmere

24 May, 2017 15:55
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

Your paranoid obsession with sticking the boot into one of our best players is well beyond a joke-BUT you are entitled to your bonkers opinions.I have seen what is said about your views elsewhere. Please don't let it get to the same stage here

see post from Tranmere Pete above.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 17:57
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

See post from DevonExile above

Viking Tranmere

24 May, 2017 20:22
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

See post from DevonExile above

OK Boss, the Vikings will behave ... as we always do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net