football
Latest News:

pc1968
pc1968 (IP Logged)

Five disappointments
18 May, 2017 20:43
A few days on from Sunday's disappointment and I was looking back on the last few years
You can't expect constant success and you can't win them all but ....

May 2013 after being nearly 10 points clear at Christmas we finish 11th in league one

May 2014 relegated to league 2 ( I still maintain Ronnie could have kept us up )

May 2015 relegated to the national league - devastating and a day I thought would never come

May 2016 just missed out on the play offs following some dreadful home performances in the final few weeks

May 2017 after playing really well the most points and goals for a long time we lose at Wembley

It's been really hard to take

However last season for the first time in a few years I actually started looking forward to the home games

There were some great games at prenton park and the atmosphere and attitude certainly changed for the better

Looking back on Wembley I firmly believe we could have won with Vaughan Harris tollitt and Wallace playing
The injuries were all serious and so unlucky
And don't forget andy cook had a spell out and Conor Jennings had a long spell out

I agree with those who say we don't need wholesale changes
More a case of fine tuning and getting our injured players fit again

I'll be renewing my season ticket soon
Watching with interest on players in and out
And waiting for details of the friendly games

Maybe not 3rd time lucky
Next year Maybe 6th time lucky !!

Keep the faith

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

Re: Five disappointments
18 May, 2017 21:39
As my father who has supported the team for over 70 years said, "Supporting Tranmere, there have always been more tears that cheers". Optimism is a little thin on the ground at the moment, but I can see progress over the last two seasons, stability in the squad is important, and as you say with a few tweeks and a better run of luck with injury next season really could be the one to cheer.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 22:44
Quote:
pc1968
A few days on from Sunday's disappointment and I was looking back on the last few years

May 2013 after being nearly 10 points clear at Christmas we finish 11th in league one

May 2014 relegated to league 2 ( I still maintain Ronnie could have kept us up )

May 2015 relegated to the national league - devastating and a day I thought would never come

May 2016 just missed out on the play offs following some dreadful home performances in the final few weeks

May 2017 after playing really well the most points and goals for a long time we lose at Wembley

However last season for the first time in a few years I actually started looking forward to the home games

There were some great games at prenton park and the atmosphere and attitude certainly changed for the better

Looking back on Wembley I firmly believe we could have won with Vaughan Harris tollitt and Wallace playing
And don't forget andy cook had a spell out and Conor Jennings had a long spell out

Maybe not 3rd time lucky

Keep the faith

May 2015 there we're many mistakes during that season that resulted with us dropping out of the league,one of the most damaging in my mind we're those idiots Rob Edwards and that Jeremy (our director of football or C/E what ever his title was)who didn't take it on board to give Ian Goodison a further twelve months. We had some poor loan player's in that period, Goodison over that season would have been worth those six extra points at home and may well have stopped the drop. Our position now may not have been in this​ non league set up because of that oversight.

To late now I know but I do wonder,even Goody stayed around a long time in the area as if he was waiting for the call to come but it never did.(Sm60)

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 22:46
Think we should change from Rockford Files to a certain song by Jethro Tull ;0)

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 23:06
Quote:
BELMONT
Quote:
pc1968

Maybe not 3rd time lucky

Keep the faith

May 2015 there we're many mistakes during that season that resulted with us dropping out of the league,one of the most damaging in my mind we're those idiots Rob Edwards and that Jeremy (our director of football or C/E what ever his title was)who didn't take it on board to give Ian Goodison a further twelve months. We had some poor loan player's in that period, Goodison over that season would have been worth those six extra points at home and may well have stopped the drop. Our position now may not have been in this​ non league set up because of that oversight.

To late now I know but I do wonder,even Goody stayed around a long time in the area as if he was waiting for the call to come but it never did.(Sm60)

Can't really blame rob Edwards, he inherited a poor squad of players, and no money to improve it. When Micky took over, he basically went mad with the new found kitty.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 00:18
Can't wait for the new season. For me this usually kicks in in July.

pc1968
pc1968 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 13:39
i agree we should have kept Ian Goodison for one last season

i know the Jethro Tull song !

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 21:27
Ahh yes, that one.

One stupid thing was not giving a near 20 goal player a contract extension, leaving open to unfair criticism for months.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 22:44
Quote:
pc1968
i agree we should have kept Ian Goodison for one last season
i know the Jethro Tull song !

Maybe next season it will be Life's a long song.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 23:13
Cant live without the Rockford files

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 23:50
Quote:
kennyspint
Cant live without the Rockford files

In that case you can work out what my handle means

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 00:26
James Garner explained in an interview that Jim Rockford's license plate number, 853-OKG, was created by his agent, Meta Rosenberg (who was a producer and sometime director of the series), at the start of the show and stands for August, 1953 - when Garner got his first acting job, and OKG which stands for Oklahoma - his home state, and his own last name - Garner, thereby making "August 1953 Oklahoma Garner" the full meaning of the Firebird license plate. (However, in his autobiography Garner states that he never knew the origin of the license plate number.)

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

20 May, 2017 00:51
Honestly think if we'd kept Goody we'd still be in league 1.

Sadistic to say...I've enjoyed this adventure

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

21 May, 2017 00:55
Thanks Kopette I didn't know that, as you spotted 853OKG

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

21 May, 2017 21:55
Quote:
Koppette
James Garner explained in an interview that Jim Rockford's license plate number, 853-OKG, was created by his agent, Meta Rosenberg (who was a producer and sometime director of the series), at the start of the show and stands for August, 1953 - when Garner got his first acting job, and OKG which stands for Oklahoma - his home state, and his own last name - Garner, thereby making "August 1953 Oklahoma Garner" the full meaning of the Firebird license plate. (However, in his autobiography Garner states that he never knew the origin of the license plate number.)

I decided to use the handle after watching two episodes which also starred Lauren Bacall. That makes me think we should shout out as appropriate " you know how to whistle , ref?"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net