football
Latest News:
register rules help contact Image Map

theonewiththeflask
theonewiththeflask (IP Logged)

McNulty Haters
18 May, 2017 16:42
It is unbelievable how some football fans turn very quickly. Mcnulty has been a unit all through his career. He has, and always will be, beaten for pace but his reading of the game remains top drawer. First half against Aldershot he was unplayable. We get beat in the playoff final and people saying he should be released. Granted he could have been tighter on the second goal but the 1st and 3rd where hardly his errors. We had 1 of the strongest defences in all leagues last season, keeping 22/3 clean sheets and McNulty was central to this. I dont think he should play every game and against teams who play pacey counter attack then maybe not but he has a role both on and off the pitch next season.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

Re: McNulty Haters
18 May, 2017 16:52
As I've said elsewhere, when your weakness requires the opposition to have a forward who is both pacy and skilful and then have to get you in a one-on-one matchup and hit a thunderbolt from 20 yards then it ain't much of a weakness really. You might give up a handful of those goals a year. I'd rather have the opposition trying to do that than throw crosses into the box because you're weak in the air, can't read the game, are a weak tackler, etc.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 17:19
Nobody hates him. people think he is to slow. by . your own admission you would not play him against a pace attack. you need a settled team to play against anyone .so I would certainly keep him as cover and who knows what happens when his contract is up .on the plus side he is a better captain than Steve Jennings who is to quiet .Macnulty is very vocal which is what you need .what we need is a young fit Macnulty type

davep63
davep63 (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 17:29
Definitely keep him, he's played in nearly every game since we signed him,admittedly he's not quick but he reads the game well and he's been a major part of all those kleen sheets we have kept this season. SWA

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 18:49
Agree

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 18:54
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
....what we need is a young fit Macnulty type

You won't find anyone like that beneath the Championship, never mind in this league! He'll still be a key player next season, especially if we carry on playing three at the back - even if Ihiekwe goes, a back 3 of Steve, Buxton and, say, Sutton should be formidable at this level. My only reservation would be that he can get exposed in a flat back 4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2017 18:55 by Aldo'smuzzy.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 20:53
I think its easy to get fixated on pace, for the most part a sharp football brain and ability to read the game is more important, pace can get you out of trouble if you get it wrong.
The other point worth noting is that both Davis and Steeveee played pretty much every minute of the season, which means he has an acceptable disciplinary record and was injury free.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 20:57
I think a lot of people have been saying he's too slow for a good while now, not since last week

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 21:00
I would say nuts is still good enough but perhaps more protection from midfield players we just did not get tight enough at wembley, so an energetic midfield is on my shopping list.

Bolton Rover
Bolton Rover (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 22:11
McNulty is our most consistent player. Sometimes he's caught for pace but has no other weakness. Wins every header and ensures we never get outmuscled. He reads the game brilliantly and can pass the ball too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2017 22:12 by Bolton Rover.

18 May, 2017 22:33
I've had this argument on Facebook. I struggle to understand that these people actually watch the same game as me. Not saying I'm the font of all knowledge but I sit with lads who have played to a decent standard and we rave about Mcnulty every week. If he did have pace he would be playing at the highest level because every other aspect of his game is A1.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 00:15
Mcnulty brilliant but getting caught out more than last season, but we didn't lose at Wembley because of him. Needs to be in a system which protects his lack of pace, which Micky has done- Wembley there was no backup. I am on record thinking he was a shadow of his former self but playing a back three converted me. My main worry, how much will the loss of Mikey's pace and skill expose Steve if he leaves. But still a leader and an icon got to keep.

MESSAGES->author

19 May, 2017 08:39
Quote:
steve mungalls Highlights
I've had this argument on Facebook. I struggle to understand that these people actually watch the same game as me. Not saying I'm the font of all knowledge but I sit with lads who have played to a decent standard and we rave about Mcnulty every week. If he did have pace he would be playing at the highest level because every other aspect of his game is A1.

Agree totally. If he wasn't the size and age he is he wouldn't be here and we couldn't even think about matching his wage expectation. The younger, fitter McNulty isn't out there. We'd just end up with someone with a different set of flaws.

stairwaytoheaven
stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 09:07
Its not that anyone hates Macca, except the other 23 teams in this league, its just that he has limitations against a strong pacey attack. No one can fault his positional play, he reads the game brilliantly, in most cases from set pieces he is on the end of the ball, other teams, well the better ones, have realised this and keep the ball away from him as FGR did on Sunday, he is easily turned which an experienced forward will do, having said that if he was quicker then he would be playing in the premiership.
Macca on most occasions I watched him last season was my man of the match, particularly Aldershot play offs away, he was immense.
For 90% of the time in this league he is the man for the job but he will come unstuck on occasion and its for Micky to tweak the formation to offer him some protection.
Looking forward we will need to replace him with someone who will be able to compete at League 2 level, we have an opportunity in this league to blood some youngsters, they will learn from Macca and be much the better from the experience.

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 11:56
Lets not forget, he was in the National League team of the season, presumably chosen by the players themselves. He was also a rock in the defence that conceded the fewest goals in the division. Micky will I'm sure be aware that he is coming to the end of his career and will probably need phasing out over the next few seasons. Our best defender since Ian Goodison.

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 11:59
Like Buxton, a poor example to younger players

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 13:13
I don't understand why McNulty and Buxton set a bad example to younger players?

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 13:21
Nulty has just been a big part in a team that amassed 95 points he's good player I'm glad he's staying on

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 13:47
I don't think anyone disputes his attributes. He reads the game excellently, yes he has good skill on the ball, he's strong. Quite clearly the lad would have played at a higher level with even a hint of athleticism. I'm really not sure on which side of the fence I'm on here. He's deffo a big framed guy, but personally I think he can loose a few pounds pre season and keep them off. And I think the club should make that priority number 1 for him. He has to be onboard with that too, which is why a managers job is so difficult. Clearly I'm unaware of his lifestyle or what the club are doing with him but it's clear he's put weight on through this season. The more he has up top the more he has to drag around, if he can loose 5kg it's a hell of a lot less to drag about and will probably extend his career significantly, he isn't as old as he might look.

From MM point of view who knows what his thoughts are, It appears SM took advantage of an option he had to extend his contract by a season, as opposed the club offering a year. Does Micky want him, will he play who knows we shall have to wait and see. I would think that option to extend would have been based on staying within certain parameters possibly fitness, games played etc. Ultimatley I would have to think his future position be as a deep sweeper but we shall see.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 20:05
He knows what needs doing but it's been apparent for months that he's finding it more difficult as the years roll on. It happens to all players.He's done a good job but perhaps a player coach role would be more suitable now with MM using him sparingly.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 22:09
Personally I don't think players in a successful team, who have a good attitude and play well, are any sort of bad role model.

Anyone remember that advert with what looked like a Turkish or Iranian guy who looked overweight and then performed perfectly executed gymnastics moves?

Proves the point and as for McNulty's fitness he has also finished nearly every game he's started which is nearly every game this season, whereas fitter looking players like Connor Jennings and Jack Dunn have had a lower ratio of starts to total number of possible selections, due to injury.

At least McNulty isn't someone who would go around scoffing a lot of junk food and / or smoking around his prodigy, unlike some of the people you see in society, who wander around smoking near their babies and having fat 6 year old's, because they're wearing jogging pants big enough to engulf a small car.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 22:10
I think McNulty is sound , MOTM on more occasions than anyone . Can till do a great job for us for another season . Remember , Goody was 42 when he left us but could still put in a shift . Both of their reading of the game doesn't come from the training ground - that's experience .

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 22:29
He's a great teacher, look how ihiekwe has come on this season. I expect Gumbs to do the same next season.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 23:40
Quote:
mini_andy
He's a great teacher, look how ihiekwe has come on this season. I expect Gumbs to do the same next season.
I don't think his influence on the back 4/5 can be underestimated, Ihikewe is twice the player he was, Buxton and Gumbs could also benefit from his guidance, there are signs that Buxton already is. He is undoubtedly closer to the end of his playing career than the start, but he can certainly do a job for us next season, and then I hope as a coach or player coach.

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 13:02
There is a real danger with letting McNulty and Buxton off, that others, particularly our younger players, might justifiably take this attitude:

"If Steve and Adam can get away with their derisory attitude to Jacko's strict fitness regime, why can't we??"

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 13:19
[quote Uglybob]I think McNulty is sound , MOTM on more occasions than anyone . Can till do a great job for us for another season . Remember , Goody was 42 when he left us but could still put in a shift . Both of their reading of the game doesn't come from the training ground - that's experience .[/quote

Perhaps the difference was Goody was fit (Sm60)and like a C/B he could still move faster than McNulty can now who doesn't look the part too slow and opposition forwards know this . That is McNulty's​ flaw.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 13:37
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
There is a real danger with letting McNulty and Buxton off, that others, particularly our younger players, might justifiably take this attitude:
"If Steve and Adam can get away with their derisory attitude to Jacko's strict fitness regime, why can't we??"

If they were not fit , they would not last the 90 minutes. And not be in a team that conceded second fewest goals in the NL. Looking overweight and being fit are not mutually exclusive, and how do you know they have a derisory attitude to training?

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 16:13
Fully agree with your comment Mini Andy - McNulty has a great influence on other (younger and upcoming), players, worth far more to the side than just as 'a player' - I look towards this next season (with 'less' more serious injuries to come), perhaps his worth will stand out even more then - this now depends on 'other players' either re-signing or joining the side, over to you Mr Mellon.

MESSAGES->author
Armaghwhite (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 20:09
The man is slowly becoming a TRFC legend along with Nors, even though we're in a poo league. IMO. Can't believe people talk these two down.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 20:50
Quote:
Armaghwhite
The man is slowly becoming a TRFC legend along with Nors, even though we're in a poo league. IMO. Can't believe people talk these two down.
+1

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 20:53
If McNulty was slimmer and faster we wouldn't see him for dust; off to pastures new. Same for Nors if he finished all those one on ones he'd be long gone.(Sm132)

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

25 May, 2017 19:18
It seems everytime we lose his name comes up, regardless of any fault.

Yes he's slow, but the first few yards are upstairs and how many goals have we actually conceded due to this lack of pace ?. Some of the best defenders I've seen in the game are exposed by a bit of pace.

Yes he's big, but this notion some seem to have that he goes home after a game and stuffs his face with junk food is absolute crap. I stood next to him in the club shop a few weeks back and honestly he didn't look that big at all, obviously stick him in a footy kit and stand him next to the vast majority of players and he stands out.

That takes me onto his fitness. I'd say for his age and of course his size he's extremely fit. Does he look like he's about to have a heart attack after a game?, does he hell. And his performances in the play off games against Aldershot after a long hard season proves he looks after himself. If anyone wants a reminder of a player that is unfit just cast your mind back to Higdon.

I'm one of those sad people that reads other clubs forums when we play them and his names comes up so often. Is he getting laughed at?. No, it's always praise about what a class act he is and how he didn't give certain players a sniff all game and sometimes how they'd love to have him in their side. Absolutely no surprise he was picked in the team of the season by his peers.

MESSAGES->author

25 May, 2017 21:31
Quote:
2 the moon
Yes he's slow, but the first few yards are upstairs and how many goals have we actually conceded due to this lack of pace ?. Some of the best defenders I've seen in the game are exposed by a bit of pace.

Yes he's big, but this notion some seem to have that he goes home after a game and stuffs his face with junk food is absolute crap. I stood next to him in the club shop a few weeks back and honestly he didn't look that big at all, obviously stick him in a footy kit and stand him next to the vast majority of players and he stands out.

That takes me onto his fitness. I'd say for his age and of course his size he's extremely fit. Does he look like he's about to have a heart attack after a game?, does he hell. And his performances in the play off games against Aldershot after a long hard season proves he looks after himself. If anyone wants a reminder of a player that is unfit just cast your mind back to Higdon.

I'm one of those sad people that reads other clubs forums when we play them and his names comes up so often. Is he getting laughed at?. No, it's always praise about what a class act he is and how he didn't give certain players a sniff all game and sometimes how they'd love to have him in their side. Absolutely no surprise he was picked in the team of the season by his peers.

+1. Great post.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

25 May, 2017 22:20
Quote:
2 the moon

As someone who rates McNulty. I agree with most of your post, but as another sad person who reads other clubs forums, your statement is not entirely accurate. Yes, many do rate him, but many others do mock him for his size, highlight his vulnerability (in their eyes) to pace and criticise his "dirty" tactics; beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

26 May, 2017 10:26
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
2 the moon

As someone who rates McNulty. I agree with most of your post, but as another sad person who reads other clubs forums, your statement is not entirely accurate. Yes, many do rate him, but many others do mock him for his size, highlight his vulnerability (in their eyes) to pace and criticise his "dirty" tactics; beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yes, I did put 'It's always' and I agree that's not entirely accurate. Aldershot clearly were not happy with some of his 'tricks' but to be honest I've not seen to many bring up his vulnerability.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net