football
Latest News:

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

Match 45 discussion: Southport (H)
21 April, 2017 14:01
1-0 win I think. They're all playing for contracts, always dangerous!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/04/2017 05:12 by mini_andy.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

Re: Match 45 discussion: Southport (H)
21 April, 2017 14:39
3-0, we're playing for goals and contracts also.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 15:45
I have just seen the Southport chairman's letter of resignation and they are clearly not in a good place. A comfortable 3-0 for me!

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 15:57
2-0 win

Fiftyyearsarover

21 April, 2017 15:57
2-0 win

Jimsteel
Jimsteel (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 16:25
Tranmere 4 -0 Southport. Lincoln 1 - 1 Macclesfield. Lincoln 3 pts clear +2 goals difference. They go to Maidstone on plastic pitch needing draw for title but lose 1-0. All goes to final game and the nervy imps lose to a rampant Southport 2-0. Rovers secure a 1-0 victory at Maidstone courtesy of a 90min penalty from Norwood. Ubi fides ibi lux et robur.....

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 18:03
Our draw at Southport started a run with just one win out of six and that sequence is a major factor in why we have been playing catch up.Despite the skin last week Southport are dire and this should be a nailed on convincing win

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 20:16
We won't murder 'em but I'll go for a 3-0 win and a Lincoln loss! S W A

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 21:34
I will go for 2 0 comfortable win

iagoapcen
iagoapcen (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 21:46
strong start 2-0
they come back in 2-1
we score just before half-time 3-1
utterly felch them in second half with bench going wild 7-1
sounds daft but i've bet 100 quid on it ;-)

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 21:50
We'll be majestic and carry our form in to the playoffs and win 6 0 at Sincil Bank next season

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 23:25
I'm going for a 6-1. Cole hattrick once again

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 07:01
Can't forget they beat Forest green 2-0 the other day, so can't see us rolling them over. Going for a 1-0 win.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 07:15
Like the optimism but Lincoln need two points from 3 games to win it,

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 08:06
If Lincoln win this lunchtime, the most important result for today is:

no injuries and no sendings off.

If our reserve team can win today, then great, but its not the most important thing.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 14:57
half time.. dover losing , aldershot winning.

MESSAGES->author

22 April, 2017 16:00
looks like its gonna be aldershot in the semis, dover have blown it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2017 16:03 by hong kong rover.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 17:06
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
If Lincoln win this lunchtime, the most important result for today is:
no injuries and no sendings off.

If our reserve team can win today, then great, but its not the most important thing.
Sadly with Vaughan out it feels almost like a defeat.
It also adds weight to the case for protecting key players by resting them next week

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 17:15
It also shows our lack of defensive cover. If Lee Vaughan is out for the play-offs and unless Sutton is fit, we will be forced to revert to 4 4 2.

Fiftyyearsarover

22 April, 2017 17:16
How much more bad luck can we have with injuries .next week MM must rest most of the team ,it's going to be tough enough against Aldershot as it is without any one else being injured .l fear the injury list will cost us in the playoffs

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 17:22
Sutton would do fine at RB, but no chance as a wing back. Duggan?

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 17:30
The concern for me is that it is that the injury is yet again the loss of one of our more mobile players.It is one of the reasons that I really regret that MM has not been giving Maynard game time in order to get fit.The loss of Vaughan makes a Wallace Hughes combination even less appropriate

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 17:31
Quote:
coltran
It also shows our lack of defensive cover. If Lee Vaughan is out for the play-offs and unless Sutton is fit, we will be forced to revert to 4 4 2.
From the commentary on Wirral Radio, Sutton is out for the season, the other thing that was apparent was that Vaughn's injury could be significant, it sounds like ankle ligaments, so probably a few weeks, either way assuming it isn't too bad, he can't be risked on the plastic at Maidstone. If Maynard is fit he could go in as either full back or centre back. I am not sure which players we have that could be played next week against Maidstone, I don't think there is particular cover for the back 4/5

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 18:01
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Sutton would do fine at RB, but no chance as a wing back. Duggan?

Duggan was sent off today . I saw Gumbs play very well at right back at Northwich in preseason. Maybe we should bring him back and play him at Maidstone and see how he gets on.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 18:09
3 of the 4 goals[the first 3] were quality finishes. Norwood's 2 must have pushed his confidence up a lot[particularly liked his second]Their goal was scored by the guy involved in the Vaughan incident so was NOT appreciated by anyone.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 18:15
Quote:
DevonExile
The concern for me is that it is that the injury is yet again the loss of one of our more mobile players.It is one of the reasons that I really regret that MM has not been giving Maynard game time in order to get fit.The loss of Vaughan makes a Wallace Hughes combination even less appropriate
Agree

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 18:24
It was great to see us score 4 when our gentleman friend from Mongolia[Mr Chau?] was present .At the end during all the applause and chants for the team,he was stood next to Mark and was bouncing up and down as well as clapping.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 18:41
There were Four Guys over from Northern Norway in the Kop (as well as the group from Iceland), great to see them at PP. Hope All you guys enjoyed the game and atmosphere, have a safe trip home and come back again soon.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 18:58
Had 4 lads from Iceland sitting behind us in the Town End. They loved every minute and especially Jennings and McNulty and got right into the "Off, Off, Off" shouts for that snake number 29, Myers, who did Vaughan.

Not a medical man but Vaughan looked in so much agony and then collapsed when he tried to stand so there's no chance he will be back this season however long it lasts.

Buxton was superb and Ikiekwe oozed class, McNulty had a couple of wobbles but apart from that solid.
Thought Ridehalgh's delivery was below his usual standard.

Vaughan was ever eager until he got carried off, Hughes had some nice touches and Wallace has trained on since his first game back.

Conner Jennings scored a couple of belters and was busy but think he could do with a longer stud because he keeps on slipping over at crucial moments.

Very pleased for Norwood; both superbly taken goals and always trying.

Stockton quieter and couldn't make the ball stick but made a couple of nice lay-offs.

Vaughan injury was right in front of us but didn't see what their sub, Brodie, did to make McNulty spy his @#$%& after the bad tackle on Vaughan. Can any one enlighten me? Ta.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:04
I understand Vaughan has a hairline fracture to the leg and I wonder whether we will ever see him in a Rovers shirt again. The tackle on him was reckless and dangerous. It certainly seemed a red card offence but clearly the referee thought otherwise and I just think of some of the unmerited sendings off we have had this season!

But the important thing is that Vaughan recovers as soon as possible. Whatever else he has given his all in Rovers cause is extremely committed and always gives a hundred per cent

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:04
When did Sutton get injured? I just thought he had been dropped. Damn. Maybe a winger playing wing back?

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:07
It stemmed from their sub Brodie? trying to pull Vaughan up after the tackle and the fourth official had to separate them.

I hope he feels a right b****** but, I am amazed he wasn't booked or even red carded for what went on.

How the Southport player only got a yellow for the tackle just reinforces how inconsistent and downright incompetent most referees in this league are.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:09
Quote:
Yiggsy
Had 4 lads from Iceland sitting behind us in the Town End. They loved every minute and especially Jennings and McNulty and got right into the "Off, Off, Off" shouts for that snake number 29, Myers, who did Vaughan.
Not a medical man but Vaughan looked in so much agony and then collapsed when he tried to stand so there's no chance he will be back this season however long it lasts.

Buxton was superb and Ikiekwe oozed class, McNulty had a couple of wobbles but apart from that solid.

Vaughan was ever eager until he got carried off, Hughes had some nice touches and Wallace has trained on since his first game back.

Conner Jennings scored a couple of belters and was busy but think he could do with a longer stud because he keeps on slipping over at crucial moments.

Stockton quieter and couldn't make the ball stick but made a couple of nice lay-offs.

Vaughan injury was right in front of us but didn't see what their sub, Brodie, did to make McNulty spy his @#$%& after the bad tackle on Vaughan. Can any one enlighten me? Ta.

Brodie has form against Tranmere-remember York away. Don't know what he did this time to upset McNulty

beb end regular
beb end regular (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:10
McNulty - lots of the lads angry with their player (Brodie) after his behaviour in getting Hughes sent off in York.
Maynard - knock on calf - injured
Sutton- tendonitis in achilles, out for season
Vaughan - possible hairline fracture, more likely deep bruising, unlikely to play again this season

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:11
It pretty much has to be Maynard then. The bench is beginning to look really thin. Two ACLs and 2 breaks/fractures in the space of a couple of months. Really bad luck for us and very bad for Vaughan who's begun to really take to the more attacking role.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:12
Quote:
martyd12
I understand Vaughan has a hairline fracture to the leg and I wonder whether we will ever see him in a Rovers shirt again. The tackle on him was reckless and dangerous. It certainly seemed a red card offence but clearly the referee thought otherwise and I just think of some of the unmerited sendings off we have had this season!
But the important thing is that Vaughan recovers as soon as possible. Whatever else he has given his all in Rovers cause is extremely committed and always gives a hundred per cent

It was probably the only big decision the ref had to make in the game and he had a long time to think about it while Vaughan was being treated. He chickened out. What made it worse was that Myers then scored their goal very shortly afterwards

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:15
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
It pretty much has to be Maynard then. The bench is beginning to look really thin. Two ACLs and 2 breaks/fractures in the space of a couple of months. Really bad luck for us and very bad for Vaughan who's begun to really take to the more attacking role.

Where is Maynard? He hasn't played any part in the two games this week.Is he injured again?

Ipersonally would bring Gumbs back from Warrington and play him at Maidstone at wing back and see how he gets on.

Team Spirit
Team Spirit (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:15
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
How the Southport player only got a yellow for the tackle just reinforces how inconsistent and downright incompetent most referees in this league are.

And yet we've had six reds.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:16
Sutton is out with an Achilles tendon injury. He will not play again this season and does not know whether he will be offered a contract for next season. At least he has a good degree and won't be unemployed for long when he gives up football. Personally I hope he is here next year!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:17
Quote:
martyd12
Sutton is out with an Achilles tendon injury. He will not play again this season and does not know whether he will be offered a contract for next season. At least he has a good degree and won't be unemployed for long when he gives up football. Personally I hope he is here next year!

+1

MESSAGES->author
The Silent Knight (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:19
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
It stemmed from their sub Brodie? trying to pull Vaughan up after the tackle and the fourth official had to separate them.
I hope he feels a right b****** but, I am amazed he wasn't booked or even red carded for what went on.

That's exactly what happened with McNulty. Had a crystal clear view from my seat in the Town End.

Unfortunately had the same view for the tackle. Without the benefit of further replays, my first reaction was that it was a really bad tackle; late and higher than a ball being on the deck. Deserved a red. The 4th official led the referee on the decision.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:24
I thought Lee had already played the ball before being tackled as well?

MESSAGES->author

22 April, 2017 19:24
Quote:
Yiggsy

Agree with this in its entirety.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2017 19:31 by The Silent Knight.

MESSAGES->author

22 April, 2017 19:26
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
I thought Lee had already played the ball before being tackled as well?

He had. Just trying to emphasise how high the tackle was.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:27
Another horror tackle; worthy of Michael Myers. There is no protection from referees in this league; they are are as low as a slugs belly, evil little weasels, with the vision of a mole, the backbone of a jellyfish and the balls of a neutered dog. Do I not like them!!

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:29
Quote:
Jack of all Trades

Thanks Jack, must have glanced away at that second as the missus was upset at Vaughan being in so much agony.

At least the bar-steward got dog's abuse from the town-end after that when he was warming up and he got a warning of the steward when he was mouthing off back at people. Nasty piece of work.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 19:32
Quote:
martyd12
If it is a fracture then that is terrible for Vaughn he has played well all season particularly as you say when the formation was changed. It would be a great shame if he doesn't appear for us again.

MESSAGES->author

22 April, 2017 22:02
have just been on you tube and someone has posted a 3 min clip of tranmere v southport at prenton in the 1966/1967 season. the film is in colour and taken from someone in the old open end. you can see a packed borough road side and the old 5 span cowshed roof. rovers playing in all white and southport in all yellow. the film is grainy but worth a watch. I don't know how to post it on the forum, so if anyone can, I am sure some fans would like to see it. the clip is titled,.. New Tranmere v Southport 1966 67 season. the clip is 3mins 5 secs long.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 22:27
Quote:
WWStandsure
There were Four Guys over from Northern Norway in the Kop (as well as the group from Iceland), great to see them at PP. Hope All you guys enjoyed the game and atmosphere, have a safe trip home and come back again soon.
Sorry if this has been said already but I think it is the first time our Norwegian followers have seen us win. So thanks for your support and we love you keep comeing back.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 22:30
Quote:
martyd12
Absolutely, how did the ref consider that challenge equivalent to Wallace's yellow

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 April, 2017 22:57
Quote:
kennyspint
Quote:
martyd12
Absolutely, how did the ref consider that challenge equivalent to Wallace's yellow

I was surprised at the refs actions while Vaughan was down.He seemed to be strolling around having a short chat with a few players mainly Southport here and there and not paying much attention to the stricken player.

He also managed after the half time interval to come out a good few minutes before Southport deigned to appear and eventually went back into the tunnel to see if they were actually bothering to come out. When they did come back out.rather than kick off,they decided to do a warm up exercise at the side of the pitch totally ignoring him.

It served them right that they then conceded two goals in the next five minutes.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 06:55
Quote:
Phil65
Another horror tackle; worthy of Michael Myers. There is no protection from referees in this league; they are are as low as a slugs belly, evil little weasels, with the vision of a mole, the backbone of a jellyfish and the balls of a neutered dog. Do I not like them!!

I'm not sure how the ref can stop a tackle. We have had an awful lot of injuries, do the players need to liven up to the dangers of the league?

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 08:15
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Phil65

I'm not sure how the ref can stop a tackle. We have had an awful lot of injuries, do the players need to liven up to the dangers of the league?

Nothing to do with stopping the tackle, it's all about appropriate punishment for the assailant and therefore hopefully setting a deterrent to protect future victims. It's how society should work.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 08:23
Mellon in his after match interview said that he hoped that the tackle wasn't deliberate.When it is an accident,the player who commits it generally shows some concern for the stricken opponent. I don't recall seeing Myers show the least bit of interest.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 08:35
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Phil65

Nothing to do with stopping the tackle, it's all about appropriate punishment for the assailant and therefore hopefully setting a deterrent to protect future victims. It's how society should work.

Naive

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 09:06
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Phil65

Naive

Another constructive comment. What should L learn from that? Were you at the game? The tackle was right in front of me and was worthy of a red card. Do you not have any concern for the welfare of our players or indeed other players outside of TRFC.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 14:06
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Phil65

Naive

Another constructive comment. What should L learn from that? Were you at the game? The tackle was right in front of me and was worthy of a red card. Do you not have any concern for the welfare of our players or indeed other players outside of TRFC.

It's a naive approach to think cards will deter bad tackles, if thats the opponents tactics the rules are already in place and they are flouting them anyway to try to win.

MESSAGES->author

23 April, 2017 15:02
Quote:
Higgosboots
It's a naive approach to think cards will deter bad tackles, if thats the opponents tactics the rules are already in place and they are flouting them anyway to try to win.

You can't completely deter or eradicate bad tackles. Sometimes they will happen due to a split second difference in timing, human error or misjudgement, weather conditions, or simply the way the recipient of the tackle lands. You can help minimise them though through education; through training and through appropriate punishment. Unfortunately, football is often a subjective game divided by differing opinion both on and off the pitch, and between officials, players, fans and media pundits. This is a good example of where video technology could aid the referee in making the correct decision and award the appropriate punishment. He had enough time talking randomly to players that could have been better spent reviewing any available footage. He didn't see the tackle, he followed the ball down the line. Instead the fourth official provided an account even though his view was obscured by the away dugout and management. He got it wrong and the player has escaped the proper punishment and as a result has not received the requisite re-education on his tackling.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 19:45
This season we have had two broken legs and a ruptured cruciate from bad tackles. The referee responses have been foul against us nothing and yellow card. Enough said. How do we respect them?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 19:47
Quote:
The Silent Knight
Quote:
Higgosboots

You can't completely deter or eradicate bad tackles. Sometimes they will happen due to a split second difference in timing, human error or misjudgement, weather conditions, or simply the way the recipient of the tackle lands. You can help minimise them though through education; through training and through appropriate punishment. Unfortunately, football is often a subjective game divided by differing opinion both on and off the pitch, and between officials, players, fans and media pundits. This is a good example of where video technology could aid the referee in making the correct decision and award the appropriate punishment. He had enough time talking randomly to players that could have been better spent reviewing any available footage. He didn't see the tackle, he followed the ball down the line. Instead the fourth official provided an account even though his view was obscured by the away dugout and management. He got it wrong and the player has escaped the proper punishment and as a result has not received the requisite re-education on his tackling.

TV is another debate, where draw the line, would be going to the TV every two seconds. Plus not gonna happen at this level, you'd need a maze of cameras, like RFL.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 20:43
Quote:
kennyspint
This season we have had two broken legs and a ruptured cruciate from bad tackles. The referee responses have been foul against us nothing and yellow card. Enough said. How do we respect them?

The Kirby incident decision was right.The Barrow player was not at fault.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/04/2017 20:46 by Hoots Mon.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 20:51
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
kennyspint

The Kirby incident decision was right.The Barrow player was not at fault.
+1 . It was unfortunate but Jake kicked the Barrow players foot / leg .

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 20:55
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Phil65

Naive

Punishment intrinsically is a deterrent. If the appropriate punishment is not applied, then you are correct, it will not deter bad tackles. Therein lies the issue; the incompetency of the arbitrators. Serious foul play, of which Myers tackle conforms to one of the categorisations, should be punished with a red card. Again, as you suggest, if the rules are in place and being flouted, who's responsibility is it to deal with such deviations? As they say, two wrongs don't make a right; both player and referee were at fault. If we accept the status quo in regards to this then add a third party to the decadence . Those who err in mind know the truth.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

23 April, 2017 22:03
Video evidence could work in football but it would have to be used sparingly and not just on a whim whenever a referee wanted it, so set guidelines for usage would have to be established.

As for a replacement for Vaughn, I believe Eddie Clarke is a fullback, so maybe he should be let out for a run about in the first team next time around, for at least 45 minutes, as he is a rare breed of Tranmere youth who gets a contract mid-season, so that may mean Mellon has taken a liking to him more than most or all others in the system currently and as Tranmere are a cast iron certainty for second, barring any unforeseen circumstances causing a points deduction, Forest Green cannot take second, so Clarke may be one to experiment with.

Tranmere also could experiment with one or two others in light of the playoffs, like Turner for Davis as an example, or Omotola upfront, unless any loan spells have not ended yet.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net