football
Latest News:
register rules help contact Image Map

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

O/T Most overrated bands .
17 April, 2017 23:39
It seems there's a lot of music fans on the forum , so , to escape the nerves of end of season ( and with the Libertines playing PP ) , who are the most overrated bands in music . I'll go first by ( without doubt ) THE most overrated being Radiohead . Others include Bowie ( about half a dozen decent tracks ) , Foo Fighters ( for some reason Dave Grohl seen as some kind of demi-god cos he was in Nirvana ) , Nirvana & Oasis .

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: O/T Most overrated bands .
18 April, 2017 12:19
U2
Nirvana
Sex Pistols
The Smiths
Eric Clapton and Cream

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 13:42
I quite like the Smiths and the Pistols ( Pretty Vacant being THE greatest intro of all time ) . U2 started of as a really good rock band but wouldn't cross the road to see them now . Clapton has always been overrated and its nice to see we agree on Nirvana!

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 14:30
Coldplay

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 14:55
Stones Roses
Happy Mondays
The Smiths

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 15:14
Coldplay, Manic Street Preachers, U2, Nirvana

MESSAGES->author

18 April, 2017 15:41
not so sure about the sex pistols, they were immensely influential but mainly coz of their shock value. john lydon couldn't sing to save his life. sid vicious couldn't even hold a bass guitar properly, let alone play it, the drummer was nothing special. the only one with any musical cred wad guitarist steve jones, but he wasn't that good...

could go on to most overrated and underrated footballers..

most overrated, by an absolute country mile - DAVID BECKHAM.

most underrated - steve nicol at Liverpool, one of the best utility players I have ever seen.

Reremnart
Reremnart (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 16:03
I agree totally about U2. When they first started they were a top band. Boy and October are great albums. Now they are living off their past glories and haven`t made a good album since the Joshua Tree IMO. I`m amazed that tens of thousands of people are still prepared pay the sort of prices they are to see them at Twickerham.

Radiohead I could just not understand. I listened to OK Computer and it did absolutely nothing for me yet there are those who maintain it is some sort of musical masterpiece

Coldplay are a product of an age when being blend is not only acceptable musically but encouraged by the record companies. A truly awful band IMO and one if they were playing in my garden I would turn the dog on, if I had one that is.

As for some of the others mentioned here The Sex Pistols and the Smiths were products of their times I guess. The Pistols in particular. The fact they only made one studio album and people still hold them in high regard despite their obvious lack of true musical ability says a lot about them in the eyes of those of us who were around at the time.

How anybody can possibly call the musical genius that was the late great David Bowie "over rated" as an earlier poster did, is beyond me. He is, IMO, without doubt the greatest musical talent this country has ever produced. His catalogue of work is amazing and his ability to continue to make interesting and diverse music and sell the number of albums he did in a 40 year career proves that I think. For somebody to say he made " half a dozen decent tracks" is quite frankly laughable. If you want to see somebody truly overrated I suggest you look somewhere a lot, lot nearer home than Bowie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 16:11 by Reremnart.

MESSAGES->author
HalfManHalfBiscan (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 16:06
Oh HKR!!!

The Smiths are brilliant. The line from their 'What She Said':
"What she read
All heady books
She'd sit and prophesise
It took a tattooed boy from Birkenhead
To really really open her eyes"

For me...Simple Minds

I left my heart in Papworth General

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 16:20
Any girl band

pez
pez (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 16:45
U2, Coldplay, Take That, One Direction all need putting down imo!

Adele is also very overrated and has not really earned her godlike status.

I mainly listen to Ska music and frequently attend gigs by The Selecter, The Specials and Madness.

The majority of 80's bands have played every smelly Moshe pit in the country in the days before arena tours were unheard of, and therefore deserve more plaudits for the hard graft they have had to put in.

It annoys me when you see tickets for these fabricated bands going on sale for £100+ on the internet.

I for one was delighted when Madness agreed to grace Prenton Park this Summer and I'm looking forward to a great show.

MESSAGES->author

18 April, 2017 17:17
I could willingly put down simon cowell.. no in fact, I would rather torture the b*stard. 3 hours on the stretch rack, then have him hung drawn and quartered and then whats left of him burnt at the stake. he is live music and guitar based classic rocks greatest ever nemesis.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 17:20
I would hazard a guess that decisions are not based on having listened to all the albums by each band mentioned. Bowie for instance simply stopped producing pop / commercial material for the masses. Radiohead spawned Muse (listen to paranoid android) Personally, I think Take That, Boyzone, little Mix, Girls Aloud are overrated and I freely admit I couldn't even get beyond their awful singles to bother listening to their albums.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 17:34
Bill Hayley and the comets .just a fat @#$%& trying to do his dad dance 😀

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 17:36
Quote:
hong kong rover
I could willingly put down simon cowell.. no in fact, I would rather torture the b*stard. 3 hours on the stretch rack, then have him hung drawn and quartered and then whats left of him burnt at the stake. he is live music and guitar based classic rocks greatest ever nemesis.

Now there's a thought, torture concerts at Prenton Park... hang the corpses from the top of the Kop when done then we get a cheer when the ball doesn't quite make it over the stand at the next match but hits cowell in his dead balls instead 👍

velico
velico (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 17:54
Quote:
pez
U2, Coldplay, Take That, One Direction all need putting down imo!
Adele is also very overrated and has not really earned her godlike status.

I mainly listen to Ska music and frequently attend gigs by The Selecter, The Specials and Madness.

The majority of 80's bands have played every smelly Moshe pit in the country in the days before arena tours were unheard of, and therefore deserve more plaudits for the hard graft they have had to put in.

It annoys me when you see tickets for these fabricated bands going on sale for £100+ on the internet.

I for one was delighted when Madness agreed to grace Prenton Park this Summer and I'm looking forward to a great show.
yep agree with all that. booker t, is also a good listen.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 17:56
Add Elbow to the list as well . Musical equivalent of the colour Grey .

18 April, 2017 19:18
Most of the band's mentioned I like, how uncool am I 🤔 as far as dislike I can't stand Neil Diamond dreadful singer and songs make me want to vomit. Also anything Simon Cowell gets involved with I have a real dislike of manufactured bands.

Fiftyyearsarover

18 April, 2017 20:02
I think Neil diamond is great .when you young guys get dumped by a woman ,put "hello again " on. The tears will flow like the ale on a night with Hongkongrover .as for Simon Cowell can't stand the man if he was ever going to be hung i would happily pull the lever. harsh but true

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 20:43
If it wasn't for Simon Cowell Little Mix wouldn't be playing PP and putting lots of coffers in our club ! Is that not a reason to like him ?!

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 20:55
There's a few of my favourite bands been mentioned in this post. I suppose it's all personal preference and the word 'overrated' to me just means someone doesn't like something a lot of other people do.
Still I'll throw one in I've never understood the appeal of, Queen

Fiftyyearsarover

18 April, 2017 21:27
Can't stand girl bands talentless most of them .on the motorway windows up queen on full blast what's not to like 👌.but you can go on about who likes what .one mans meat another mans poison .

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 21:37
Yeah , music is so subjective . I suppose my definition of overrated would be immense popularity in relation to minimal amount of talent ( be it singing , songwriting , musicianship or a combination of all ) .

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 22:44
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Bill Hayley and the comets .just a fat @#$%& trying to do his dad dance 😀
To be fair he was older than my Dad then

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 00:10
Quote:
Uglybob
If it wasn't for Simon Cowell Little Mix wouldn't be playing PP and putting lots of coffers in our club ! Is that not a reason to like him ?!

I don't dislike him, but manufactured acts are just full of micro-managed can't sing, cant play, sound and look pretty similar types, with predictable careers when their thing splits up.

Be aware when Little Tarts, sorry Mix split up in the next 3-4 years, at least two of them will almost certainly do Celebrity Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, or The Jump.

U2, definitely overrated.

That reminds me of that story about Bono clapping his hands at regular intervals during a gig one time and saying every time I clap my hands an African dies and someone in the audience shouted well stop f*cking clapping then.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 01:28
Radiohead, stereophonics,u2,Beatles,nirvana,Coldplay

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 12:12
U2 were great until the Joshua Tree, then they just disappeared up Bono's @#$%&. They've managed a few decent tracks since. Radiohead's OK Computer is the best album of the last 20 years. It may be the last great album ever made. Since then they've disappeared up themselves too though.

I don't think its possible to over rate groups that don't write their own songs and play their own instruments so all manufactured 'bands' are excluded from this list by definition, not just cos they are shite. Here's my list:

Sex Pistols (all image, no music - to say they had influence is an insult to bands like The Clash)
The Smiths/Morrissey (Jangly & miserable, a few half decent tunes)
Guns n Roses (never got them, some decent tracks on Appetite, everything else is formulaic dross)
Coldplay (if magnolia paint was music, this is what it would sound like)
Muse (just over distorted noise with little tune largely)

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 20:42
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
I don't think its possible to over rate groups that don't write their own songs and play their own instruments so all manufactured 'bands' are excluded from this list by definition, not just cos they are shite.

They can be overrated, simply by the number of sales they get. If they all sold 2,000 copies they wouldn't be that rated, but if they're selling gold discs it's overrating them to me.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

20 April, 2017 00:24
I'm not going to list all the bands that are overrated but I'm happy to see nobody has included either the Clash or Pete Wylie. Both are the best.

Sorry I've turned this around but IMO it needed saying!

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

20 April, 2017 10:03
HKR - do you have a 'help list' for those willing to assist with SC. Bet it's a very, very long one if so.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

20 April, 2017 20:41
The Bebington Kop Drum band.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

20 April, 2017 22:33
Quote:
TranmereFan
The Bebington Kop Drum band.

You should be band from the forum for that (Sm133)

MESSAGES->author

21 April, 2017 06:35
Quote:
WWStandsure
HKR - do you have a 'help list' for those willing to assist with SC. Bet it's a very, very long one if so.

Lol

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 23:18
MP4. They're decent enough, but have they even had an album out, or are they just bolstering their fame on Matt Fordes Dave show.

Also the keyboard player who's in the SNP should have stuck with Runrig, as the SNP mostly represent Scotland and wouldn't be likely get overall power, as they wouldn't appeal to most English and Welsh people even if they had candidates south of the border and he could have been playing some tasty gigs now, not listening to embittered Lib Dem's moaning about the loss of 15 MP's.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 19:38
The magic numbers, elo, kiss, travis, van halen to name but a few

Abba were the worse ever

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 00:24
Quote:
the kav
elo, Abba were the worse ever

Really?

MESSAGES->author

05 May, 2017 09:08
Quote:
the kav
The magic numbers, elo, kiss, travis, van halen to name but a few
Abba were the worse ever

Agree with kiss n van halen. Kiss are just a joke party band with very little on offer in the way of musicianship.. eddie van halen is in a long list of rock guitarists that receive way too much attention. A far better player around the same time as van halen was gary moore( superb blues/rock guitarist)

Blues n rock guitarists that receive far too much attention..

Eric clapton
Jimmy page
Slash
peter frampton
The edge
BB king

Blues n rock guitarists that deserve a helluva lot more recognition

Rory gallagher
Gary moore
Roy buchanan
Freddie king
Alvin lee
John hammond
Brian robbo robertson

Just my opinion though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2017 09:20 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 15:49
Eddie van Halen gets recognition largely because had a new different style of extremely fast playing that hadn't really been heard much before and it influenced a lot of younger American guitarists. I agree they were overrated as a band and he probably is as a guitarist as well. Randy Rhodes was better imo, as is Nuno Bettencourt, but they were obviously very influenced in their playing style by EvH. First is sometimes the one who gets noticed even if others might be more deserving.

Kiss did some half decent stomping rock stuff early on but it got lost in the cartoon like image, much like Slade over here. Slade might be the most under rated band I've ever come across, which is mad when you consider how succesful they actually were for a time.

MESSAGES->author

05 May, 2017 17:47
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Eddie van Halen gets recognition largely because had a new different style of extremely fast playing that hadn't really been heard much before and it influenced a lot of younger American guitarists. I agree they were overrated as a band and he probably is as a guitarist as well. Randy Rhodes was better imo, as is Nuno Bettencourt, but they were obviously very influenced in their playing style by EvH. First is sometimes the one who gets noticed even if others might be more deserving.
Kiss did some half decent stomping rock stuff early on but it got lost in the cartoon like image, much like Slade over here. Slade might be the most under rated band I've ever come across, which is mad when you consider how succesful they actually were for a time.

although I never saw slade , what a fantastic live band they were.. have a listen to slade live at the Reading rock festival 1980, Doogie. its on you tube, defo worth a listen mate.. I saw Lizzy's last ever uk show at Reading rock festival in 1983.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 19:05
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
the kav

Really?

Hoots mon criticising another persons post.... didnt see that coming

REALLY!!!

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 19:47
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost

although I never saw slade , what a fantastic live band they were.. have a listen to slade live at the Reading rock festival 1980, Doogie. its on you tube, defo worth a listen mate.. I saw Lizzy's last ever uk show at Reading rock festival in 1983.
I was at that Reading gig HKR . What a 3 days . Rory , UFO and Whitesnake headlining . I was always a huge Slade fan in the 70`s and never got to see them . They weren't even on the Reading Bill as ( I think ) they'd been trying to break America . They replaced Gary Moore`s Gforce and blew everyone off the stage , they were awesome . That really was the start of their comeback ( if they'd ever been away ) . Went to Donnington the following year and they were on there as well . Theyre playing Liverpool at the end of this year but there's only Don Powell and Dave Hill left so I'll keep my cash and remember them when they were awesome .

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 19:48
Quote:
the kav
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
the kav

Really?

Hoots mon criticising another persons post.... didnt see that coming

REALLY!!!

Not at all. It's just my opinion.It's not the same as yours.Get over it. No need for the prickly response

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 19:55
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost

I was at that Reading gig HKR . What a 3 days . Rory , UFO and Whitesnake headlining . I was always a huge Slade fan in the 70`s and never got to see them . They weren't even on the Reading Bill as ( I think ) they'd been trying to break America . They replaced Gary Moore`s Gforce and blew everyone off the stage , they were awesome . That really was the start of their comeback ( if they'd ever been away ) . Went to Donnington the following year and they were on there as well . Theyre playing Liverpool at the end of this year but there's only Don Powell and Dave Hill left so I'll keep my cash and remember them when they were awesome .

Slade were awesome. I once saw them at Liverpool Stadium with Thin Lizzy and Suzi Quattro as back up bands.All three were tremendous. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I went to see Slade with only Powell and Hill left a few years ago in Manchester. The lead singer tried hard but without Noddy it was a big let down.Also on that bill were Hot Chocolate[without Errol-same as Slade without Noddy]and Showaddywaddy[original line up] who were excellent.

MESSAGES->author

05 May, 2017 20:17
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost

nice one bob. my only ever time at the Reading rock festival was 3 yrs later in 1983 when lizzy headlined the sunday and it was their last ever uk show before they disbanded. that lizzy performance from Reading 83 is on you tube.. lucky man and nothing but jealousy from me about u going to the 1980 festival. that rory performance at Reading '80 can also be found on you tube. pretty sure rory received a special award that night before going on stage for having made more appearances at Reading than any other act.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2017 20:33 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

05 May, 2017 20:27
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost

Slade were awesome. I once saw them at Liverpool Stadium with Thin Lizzy and Suzi Quattro as back up bands.All three were tremendous. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I went to see Slade with only Powell and Hill left a few years ago in Manchester. The lead singer tried hard but without Noddy it was a big let down.Also on that bill were Hot Chocolate[without Errol-same as Slade without Noddy]and Showaddywaddy[original line up] who were excellent.

this must have been the time when chas chandler was slades manager , hoots.

Goal Attack
Goal Attack (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 20:31
HKR: Get to bed big game in the morning .

MESSAGES->author

05 May, 2017 20:35
Quote:
Goal Attack
HKR: Get to bed big game in the morning .

lol, nice one goal attack.. I am just about to retire to bed now. its 3:30am here. thankfully no work tmrw so big lie in. then the day at leisure before the rovers game tmrw which I can see on bt sport. good night all, lol.

MESSAGES->author

05 May, 2017 20:45
doogie , hoots , ugly bob , kav, go on you tube and type in.. Thin Lizzy a night on the town.. its a 16 min clip with 4 tracks. have a listen to robbo's guitar solo on the second track, 'Emerald' its spellbinding.. being biased though lol,, off to bed now.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 21:03
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost

November 18th 1972

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 21:19
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost

November 18th 1972
Jeez Hoots , envy is never an emotion I suffer with but Slade , Lizzy and even Suzi Quatro ON the one Bill has pushed me pretty close ! The ONLY other slight envious touch is my mate who I go to gigs with was at the Supertramp gig on the Crime of the Century tour . Now that I would have loved to have been at . I get my own back though cos he's eternally green that I saw Talk Talk ( twice ) and he never got to see them . Balances it out I suppose !

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 16:36
Saw Slade at Leicester Poly in 1972 at the Freshers' Ball when they were the support act to Velvet Underground!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net