football
Latest News:
register rules help contact Image Map

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

Anyone else now actually getting excited about the 3 extra games?
17 April, 2017 21:12
I know we've still got a very outside chance of the automatics. But if Lincoln pip us their season will finish prematurely...

Anyone else though like me (and the Tranmere accountants) now getting excited about the prospect of the play offs and the prospect of a trip to Wembley??

.. and three more live games on International telly.

That will be an unprecedented ELEVEN live games (including the Liverpool friendly) this season on national/ International telly. Terrific for selling the Tranmere brand name home and abroad.
We have benefited from the National League being independent from the EFL set up, where all but one or League 2 teams get zero coverage.

Great stuff, come on the SWA!

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Re: Anyone else now actually getting excited about the 3 extra games?
17 April, 2017 23:08
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
I know we've still got a very outside chance of the automatics. But if Lincoln pip us their season will finish prematurely...
Anyone else though like me (and the Tranmere accountants) now getting excited about the prospect of the play offs and the prospect of a trip to Wembley??

.. and three more live games on International telly.

That will be an unprecedented ELEVEN live games (including the Liverpool friendly) this season on national/ International telly. Terrific for selling the Tranmere brand name home and abroad.
We have benefited from the National League being independent from the EFL set up, where all but one or League 2 teams get zero coverage.

Great stuff, come on the SWA!

Trouble is the money you get for one TV appreance in the Football League is more than you get perhaps for a couple of more than you get in this damn Pub League , I think it's around £5K for this league not a lot,yes perhaps you get more TV air time in this league but number's watching non League can't be much.

Let's just get out of it as soon as possible,the end of this season would do nicely.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 23:21
Not worried about 3 extra games cos we're gonna win the league . If we don't win the league I will make a solemn promise to listen to a complete Radiohead album ( from start to finish ) . The sacrifices I make for my beloved Superwhites !!

Zint
Zint (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 08:40
Nervous rather than excited, but will look forward to a play off final at Wembley, if we get there.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 09:48
Who is Radiohead ?.😀 enjoy your purgatory ugly bob .

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 09:54
Lincoln only need to win one game out of the 3 , I'm 100% sure they will win one. More than likely all 3. We have done well this season but to many blips under both managers. Threw away games after being up 2-0.

Viking Tranmere

18 April, 2017 10:25
No-one can match the excitement of the play-offs.
If we fail then we dust ourselves down and go again next season, as favorites again, lots of telly selling the brand name and with even bigger crowds.
2-3 seasons down here didnt do Luton, Oxford or Doncaster any harm, all 3 smaller clubs than Tranmere, all coming back rejuvenated and with a much larger crowd base than what they went down with.

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 15:17
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
No-one can match the excitement of the play-offs.
If we fail then we dust ourselves down and go again next season, as favorites again, lots of telly selling the brand name and with even bigger crowds.
2-3 seasons down here didnt do Luton, Oxford or Doncaster any harm, all 3 smaller clubs than Tranmere, all coming back rejuvenated and with a much larger crowd base than what they went down with.

Totally Agree

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 15:58
i would be more excited if we could sort out our midfield options. When Ronnie Moore signed Wallace he stated how pleased he was because. ' He can tackle,shows energy and and can pass'

Well two-thirds of the list have disappeared and the frequency of the last quality is reduced by the loss of the first two.

Injuries leave us pressed but Wallace would be my last rather than first go to.His limitations will be more exposed against the quality of play off opposition and if we get to Wembley the thought of him and Hughes together on such a large pitch fills me with alarm

pez
pez (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 16:16
I think we'll struggle against Aldershot over 2 legs.

They seemed younger and fitter and showed plenty of desire during our recent encounter.

They are a decent side and will relish this opportunity.

We will need to up our game quite a bit if we're to progress to the Wembley final.

I fancy D & R to do FGR over 2 games and provided we can dispense of Aldershot, I fancy us to beat D & R at Wembley.

Not going to be sexy football and we will need every man to stand up and be counted.

A couple of displays like the recent 9-0 affair would be excellent, but I fear that was strictly a one off performance.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 16:29
I thought the aldershot forwards terrorized us in the first half the other day. I noticed that waddock played an even stronger attack yesterday vs dover with Benyu, Mensah, kanu, Rendell, Fenelon all playing. mind u, it took a lateish penalty from sub McClure to get the only goal of the game. they really impressed me the other day with their attacking midfield and forward play. maybe its best we avoid them in the play offs or dover pip them to the last play off place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 16:33 by hong kong rover.

Viking Tranmere

18 April, 2017 17:05
Hopefully we'll get Dover rather than Aldershot, but they also looked good.
All 6ft, slim, quick on the ball.
I agree with the other posters, Hughes and Wallace (or Maynard) will get over-run by Aldershots pace, thats why its important we get Mitch back.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 22:37
Very excited. See post elsewhere progress made this season and last whatever league we're in onwards and upwards

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 23:06
I can't say I am excited about the playoffs, its great we are there and the team has undoubtedly progressed over last season, but I still have the bitter memories of Reading, Swindon and Leicester....

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 10:34
Anyone have the play off dates?

The National League website seems to have been down for days. I know the final is on 14 May

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 11:20
I think it has to be the Wednesday Saturday after the Maidstone game, or Tuesday, Friday depending on television requirements. I couldn't access the site either.

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 12:36
Quote:
853OKG
I think it has to be the Wednesday Saturday after the Maidstone game, or Tuesday, Friday depending on television requirements. I couldn't access the site either.

If we finish second, we will be away on Wednesday 3rd May and home on the following Saturday. If we are third it's away Thursday and home Sunday. I think.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 13:10
Thanks

Viking Tranmere

19 April, 2017 14:00
This means we have to play a complete reserve team for the Maidstone game

Viking Tranmere

19 April, 2017 14:00

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 14:06
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

No it doesn't.We need momentum going into the playoffs. Apart from that,a lot of people have paid good money to travel and see the game.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 15:53
The Maidstone game is likely to be pretty meaningless and resting players both avoids injury and premature exposure to the card happy refs seen at too many games.Grimsby did it last year and lost but still went on to win the play offs.Our injuries to Harris and Tollit reduced our prospect of automatic promotion and we can ill afford to risk more problems in a meaningless game.It might also help MM in making decisions about the retained list by seeing how some of the fringe players perform

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 15:56
Quote:
DevonExile
The Maidstone game is likely to be pretty meaningless and resting players both avoids injury and premature exposure to the card happy refs seen at too many games.Grimsby did it last year and lost but still went on to win the play offs.Our injuries to Harris and Tollit reduced our prospect of automatic promotion and we can ill afford to risk more problems in a meaningless game.It might also help MM in making decisions about the retained list by seeing how some of the fringe players perform

+1 I have a ticket for the game, but more concerned about Playoffs than beating Maidstone.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 20:14
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

No it doesn't.We need momentum going into the playoffs. Apart from that,a lot of people have paid good money to travel and see the game.
I don't think we have enough players to play a completely different 11. I wouldn't want to see a lot of changes for the game, although unlikely there may still be something to play for, be that the title, or ensuring 2nd place. There may be some players who do need to take a game off, but there will be a whole week between Southport and Maidstone. Wallace and Maynard could still do with time on the field to get back to sharpness.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

19 April, 2017 23:57
If The Stones need to win to avoid relegation it will make us look very bad to the other bottom sides if we play a second eleven unless we win of course. Maynard and Wallace are first team players so doesn't apply to them.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

20 April, 2017 00:11
Quote:
kennyspint
If The Stones need to win to avoid relegation it will make us look very bad to the other bottom sides if we play a second eleven unless we win of course. Maynard and Wallace are first team players so doesn't apply to them.

I agree with your sentiments but I think Maidstone are safe.

I think we should play the strongest team we've got for each and every game at this part of the season. Yes of course when you're 3-0 up with 20 minutes left you can make changes to get other players involved but I'm not sure that we are good enough overall to bring too many others in at this time.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

20 April, 2017 10:37
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
Quote:
853OKG

If we finish second, we will be away on Wednesday 3rd May and home on the following Saturday. If we are third it's away Thursday and home Sunday. I think.

Interesting. Thanks.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

20 April, 2017 10:39
Of course there's always the crazy and improbable situation were Lincoln lose their next two games.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

20 April, 2017 11:51
I know that there is a week between the last two league games but from the Maidstone game we play 3 games in seven days.To my mind resting some players for the last game reduces both the chance of injury or suspension and let's us arrive fresh for the first play off.Beat Southport and we cannot finish below second.Even a defeat would mean third place and hence the advantage of the last leg at home would remain.
High energy players like Norwood would benefit from the rest.
There is the constant refrain that Wallace and Maynard need match time.The real issue is whether we should be going into the play offs with Wallace and Hughes in midfield.It would make real sense in the run in to use games to try other alternatives and formations.Maynard is not yet match fit .The question for me is when was Wallace last truly fit....it was the league match when we were top of Div 1.If he was ever to be a fit and mobile player again it would already have happened by now.If Harris had not have to give way to Wallace earlier in th season we might still have been looking at automatic promotion

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

20 April, 2017 12:33
It is also our last opportunity to give fringe players who might be needed to come off the bench and make an impact in the play offs some much needed game time. Mangan, Mekki, Sutton, Duggan perhaps. Rest those like Hughes and Norwood who haven't had much time off the pitch and give game time to others. Makes far too much sense no to.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

20 April, 2017 13:41
Booked a meeting in London for the 3rd, so Ill be there - whether Dover or Aldershot.

acc928
acc928 (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 09:15
Quote:
jonesy792
Anyone have the play off dates?
The National League website seems to have been down for days. I know the final is on 14 May

From the National League website

Semi Finals

Wednesday 3rd May - 1st leg: 5th place vs 2nd place - Kick Off 7.00pm

Thursday 4th May - 1st leg: 4th place v 3rd place - Kick Off 7.00pm

Saturday 6th May - 2nd leg: 2nd place vs 5th place - Kick Off 12.15pm

Sunday 7th May - 2nd leg: 3rd place v 4th place - Kick Off 3.00pm

Promotion Final

Sunday 14th May 2017 Wembley Stadium Kick Off 3.00pm

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

21 April, 2017 17:12
Quote:
kennyspint

They are mathematically safe,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net