football
Latest News:

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

Know what
16 April, 2017 00:00
This has been the best season since we were top of League 1 We are competitive and we are in the play offs. We are a football league club like so many others in this league. Lincoln have been brilliant, they still may slip up. We have been brilliant lets keep up the brilliant support until the end of the season

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

Re: Know what
16 April, 2017 00:07
Would you rather be a big fish in NL or a small fish in L2?

I'm enjoying this season and i think its because we're the big guns. That said, I'm ready to leap Ziggy.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 00:51
Quote:
Hardly Irons
I'm enjoying this season and i think its because we're the big guns. That said, I'm ready to leap Ziggy.
any type of fish in L2 for me. I personally think this league is horrendous. I don't go away at the moment and I know our fans that do have enjoyed going to different grounds etc so they may have a different view. We need to get out of it asap. When the fixtures come out I think @#$%&, this is bad. Obviously being at the right end of the table can turn any fixture into a big game but my God we need to get out of it before it becomes our tomb.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 00:51
Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Hardly Irons
any type of fish in L2 for me. I personally think this league is horrendous. I don't go away at the moment and I know our fans that do have enjoyed going to different grounds etc so they may have a different view. We need to get out of it asap. When the fixtures come out I think @#$%&, this is bad. Obviously being at the right end of the table can turn any fixture into a big game but my God we need to get out of it before it becomes our tomb.
+1 hate this league with a passion.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 02:49
We aren't a football league club we are Non League side. The fact of the matter is we are here because we deserve it. 2 seasons in and we haven't lit the place on fire because it's our level. I would much rather watch us play at our level and be competitive than be getting toshed every week at Morecombe. Let's not fool ourselves we will struggle in League 2. We aren't the money bags some people like to think we are.

andygster
andygster (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 03:09
Quote:
Higgosboots
We aren't a football league club we are Non League side. The fact of the matter is we are here because we deserve it. 2 seasons in and we haven't lit the place on fire because it's our level. I would much rather watch us play at our level and be competitive than be getting toshed every week at Morecombe. Let's not fool ourselves we will struggle in League 2. We aren't the money bags some people like to think we are.

Okay, what nonsense. League 2 is pish standard as well. We will not struggle and Palios said top 1/3 budget whatever league we are in - so I would fully expect a playoff challenge with MM at the helm.

We were on a downward spiral for years - that's why we fell so quickly when it finally caved in. We had an owner just keeping us on life support and no stability in the playing squad or manager. So yes factually we are non-league right now, but I'm not accepting that as our long term fate.

Now we have an owner setting us in a sustainable direction, a proper manager, and a somewhat settled squad. It is all about momentum, getting a team to gel and stability. There are many clubs with a similar support base (and no sugar daddy) able to survive nicely in league one and even mount the occasional playoff bid. That is what we can and should strive for as 'where we belong' - not thinking ourselves as small fish in a big pond. Sorry Tranmere Rovers is still far more of a known club than Morecambe, Newport, Stevenage and all the other traditional non-league clubs. Our pedigree in the Football League - even in the darkest days of the 80's we were a League club - let's not forget that and resign ourselves to defeatist small club mentality. Realistic, yes, but confident and optimistic about the club's potential!

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 06:18
As an overseas fan that doesnt get to the games, the only good thing about being in the national league is the live tv coverage of national league games. So far this season ive been able to see 7 rovers national league games live and the liverpool pre-season friendly. With us having secured a play off berth that means even more live rovers tv games to come. If we were back in league 1 or 2 then there would have been a lot less live tv coverage, unless we went on some long magnificent run in the FA cup. I am sure some of the rovers supporters have enjoyed visiting some of these grounds in the conf and renewing acquaintances with our old foes chester n wrexham but its got to be places like crawley, exeter n accrington any day of the week.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 07:24
Quote:
andygster
Quote:
Higgosboots

Okay, what nonsense. League 2 is pish standard as well. We will not struggle and Palios said top 1/3 budget whatever league we are in - so I would fully expect a playoff challenge with MM at the helm.

We were on a downward spiral for years - that's why we fell so quickly when it finally caved in. We had an owner just keeping us on life support and no stability in the playing squad or manager. So yes factually we are non-league right now, but I'm not accepting that as our long term fate.

Now we have an owner setting us in a sustainable direction, a proper manager, and a somewhat settled squad. It is all about momentum, getting a team to gel and stability. There are many clubs with a similar support base (and no sugar daddy) able to survive nicely in league one and even mount the occasional playoff bid. That is what we can and should strive for as 'where we belong' - not thinking ourselves as small fish in a big pond. Sorry Tranmere Rovers is still far more of a known club than Morecambe, Newport, Stevenage and all the other traditional non-league clubs. Our pedigree in the Football League - even in the darkest days of the 80's we were a League club - let's not forget that and resign ourselves to defeatist small club mentality. Realistic, yes, but confident and optimistic about the club's potential!

Your as good as your last race. We drew 2 all with Aldershot. The club is a non league club until maybe we aren't one. By the we used to be scenerario Liverpool should be the world's biggest club, Forest are one of Europe's best, Brighton should be Premier league champions, Leeds should be playing Champions League, Coventry should be the premiership etc etc. What exactly does a top 3rd budget mean and where would those funds come from where they don't exist know.

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 07:52
We are as good as our crowds - and our crowd potential.
We are easily League One with our great support at the moment - and with our catchment area (400,000 in Greater Wirral) can sustain a Championship side.

The long-term task for Palios is to make it fashionable for Wirral people (and even Merseyside) to support Tranmere ... and not the 2 Liverpool clubs. It can be done. Bradford City, Huddersfield and Barnsley have over the years broken the grip that Leeds had on West Yorkshire support: instead of one team (Leeds) at the top of what is now the Premiership and the others in Level 4, you now have them all in Level 2.

Read this famous article by award winning sports reporter Patrick Barclay (Independent, 29 April 1989) about the great potential of Tranmere:
www.nottingham.ac.uk/-sczsteve/Patrick_Barclay.pdf

“The club may once have drawn support from shipyards and dockyards, but the wider Wirral hinterland has a population as great as Liverpool’s and more prosperous. They are being wooed by half-page advertisements in the local papers”. This was after we clocked 10,400 for a game against Scunthorpe in Level 4.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 10:40
Despite my so called negative outlook I firmly believe we will get back into League football at some point .Tranmere rovers is a really well known and respected clubs and the number of well known football people who talked of our demise as a sad day is telling .but here we are non League in a really tough league no one is going to give us anything .we have a sick bay that resembles the A&E at Arrow park on a bad night .basically we have been kicked out of it .if we have had all hands fit we might have caught Lincoln .we need some big tough defenders and a couple of big guys up front to give teams a tough time we need the type of attitude of ,if one of ours goes off on a stretcher one of yours will follow .saying that I enjoyed Aldershot they came to give us a game and were not a dirty side at all.we have to put right these lapses at home as I have said 1 point out of 6 at home last week just won't cut it .what did Lincoln get 6/6 .there is some flaw in this side you can't quite put your finger on .you just don't know what your going to get with them .the football is excellent sometimes and a better team than last year .inconsistency is part of the problem and the real bugbear, missed chances , and if a team wants to win the League you can't miss 8 penalties

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 11:23
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Despite my so called negative outlook I firmly believe we will get back into League football at some point .Tranmere rovers is a really well known and respected clubs and the number of well known football people who talked of our demise as a sad day is telling .but here we are non League in a really tough league no one is going to give us anything .we have a sick bay that resembles the A&E at Arrow park on a bad night .basically we have been kicked out of it .if we have had all hands fit we might have caught Lincoln .we need some big tough defenders and a couple of big guys up front to give teams a tough time we need the type of attitude of ,if one of ours goes off on a stretcher one of yours will follow .saying that I enjoyed Aldershot they came to give us a game and were not a dirty side at all.we have to put right these lapses at home as I have said 1 point out of 6 at home last week just won't cut it .what did Lincoln get 6/6 .there is some flaw in this side you can't quite put your finger on .you just don't know what your going to get with them .the football is excellent sometimes and a better team than last year .inconsistency is part of the problem and the real bugbear,
missed chances , and if a team wants to win the League you can't miss 8 penalties
Before the last two games tranmere had 18 points out of 18 with games at 2 a week, which was better than Lincoln who also lost one and drew one in that 6 games. So saying a lapse due to injuries, tiredness and top teams riding their luck in what we're open and entertainingredients games isn't cutting it when it meant 19 points out of 24 iso not something I agree with. It was to the team,so credit that they got back to within three points before this easter period.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 11:47
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
We are easily League One with our great support at the moment - and with our catchment area (400,000 in Greater Wirral) can sustain a Championship side.

The long-term task for Palios is to make it fashionable for Wirral people (and even Merseyside) to support Tranmere ... and not the 2 Liverpool clubs. It can be done. Bradford City, Huddersfield and Barnsley have over the years broken the grip that Leeds had on West Yorkshire support: instead of one team (Leeds) at the top of what is now the Premiership and the others in Level 4, you now have them all in Level 2.

Read this famous article by award winning sports reporter Patrick Barclay (Independent, 29 April 1989) about the great potential of Tranmere:

“The club may once have drawn support from shipyards and dockyards, but the wider Wirral hinterland has a population as great as Liverpool’s and more prosperous. They are being wooed by half-page advertisements in the local papers”. This was after we clocked 10,400 for a game against Scunthorpe in Level 4.

As good as crowds? Crowds have very limited impact on income.

Johntyponty
Johntyponty (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 11:55
At our level they have a massive impact. Every extra 1,000 through the gate is an extra £15,000 a home game (assuming average ticket of £15) do that over 23 home games and it's an additional £345,000 a season. At an average wage of £30,000 a year that's 12 players paid £500 a week or 6 paid £1,000 a week

Lincolns attendance has almost doubled - all pay on the gate clientele - a massive boost to the coffers before you allow for the cup exploits.

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 12:01
It's all total speculation at this stage about how healthy we would be in the football league but surely the signs are positive.

Our infrastructure and fan base are certainly indicators of the capacity to be successful at league 1 level at least. If you add to this, the comments from the chairman about budget, this only strengthens the point.

I also do not subscribe to the view that evidence of our league potential should be seen in us tanking this league. With one up automatically and some very physical teams with negavtive tactics, the playing field is levelled to a huge degree. Cheltenham are a great example of how dominance in this league does not directly transfer to the league above - unless you have the capacity to be a bigger club when you get there.

We have a playing squad that is capable of playing football too so there wouldn't have to be a massive reshuffle if we got promoted.

We might not go up this year but in my opinion, we are a league club in waiting.

Team Spirit
Team Spirit (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 12:33
Quote:
Higgosboots

While I agree that all clubs are where they deserve to be at any point in time, to suggest that we have found our level in the fifth tier after 90+ years in the Football League is ridiculous. We are here as a consequence of a period managed decline when there was little investment in either infrastructure or playing staff.

Our level, if we have one, is bouncing around between L1 and L2 which we have done for most of our history.

Are you really suggesting you are content with us being competitive in the National League and yet failing to get out of it and do you really think a return to the FL will see us being cannon fodder for the likes of Morecambe etc?

Let's hope that the club have a bit more ambition than that.

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 12:58
Quote:
Team Spirit
Quote:
Higgosboots

While I agree that all clubs are where they deserve to be at any point in time, to suggest that we have found our level in the fifth tier after 90+ years in the Football League is ridiculous. We are here as a consequence of a period managed decline when there was little investment in either infrastructure or playing staff.

Our level, if we have one, is bouncing around between L1 and L2 which we have done for most of our history.

Are you really suggesting you are content with us being competitive in the National League and yet failing to get out of it and do you really think a return to the FL will see us being cannon fodder for the likes of Morecambe etc?

Absolutely

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 15:14
League 2 ,when we get there, will mean playing against other full time clubs.Is there any club in the current League 2 that we could not compete with ?Hardly !None of them are to be feared.I remember feeling deflated when we went down to League 2 by the thought of the opposition we would be facing. Sadly the managers appointed for that season and the lack of funds plus the vast number of loan players made it into the annus horriblis for Rovers......the consequences of which we are still feeling.However until the final whistle is blown at the end of this season there is still hope.We have to believe,believe,believe !!! SWA

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 16:38
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

It was only four quid to get in then mate floating support could decide on the day to just come and turn up without it making an impact on the pocket. For the average bloke with a family twenty quid takes a lot of thought.

I cannot think of any other industry which has raised its prices by 350% over the last 30 years whilst dropping the standard by 20% yet still expect the same cust base

velico
velico (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 16:40
Quote:
Higgosboots
absolutely astounding.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 20:26
Tranmere would not get tonked in league 2 that often if at all I feel. Someone like Cook could score potentially close ti 20 a season, as Rickie Lambert scored as many in the championship as he did in league one and that is a bigger step up in quality than NL to league 2.

Tranmere's budget was supposedly £1,000,000 in league 2. but to could be higher next time due to increased sponsorship, even factoring out some money for player sales, because you can factor in monies made from a promotion, spread out over a period of time and also sponsors being asked to pay more, because you're sponsoring a league club.

Tranmere stayed up in league 1 for a few years before relegation, with round £1,200,000 - £1,400,000 in the last 5 years of league 1, so if Tranmere could spend 1,200,000 or more in league 2, there's no logical reason why they should struggle at that level. spending as much as they did in league 1, which was enough to create a survival squad.

I think the way Cook has played it's possible he could bag around 14-15 in league one and I feel that is a minimum number of goals from one striker you need to stand any chance of survival in any league, plus around 9-10 from your backup striker, a defense conceding less than 1.4 goals a match or less, plus a 20 goal midfield and a few goals from defenders as well as 2-3 own goals.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 21:58
Quote:
Team Spirit
Quote:
Higgosboots

I think this is the best post I've seen on here in a long time... are you my alter ego?

prentonpete1
prentonpete1 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 22:40
Scunthorpe have eyes on Cook it seems.

jim rockford
jim rockford (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 22:48
Quote:
prentonpete1
It will cost them as he is still under contract next season.

Briantrfc
Briantrfc (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 23:07
Quote:
prentonpete1

Is there any proof or truth to this??

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 23:14
Quote:
Briantrfc
Quote:
prentonpete1

And if there is should we take the money?

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 00:25
Quote:
Eric01 Tranmere
Quote:
Briantrfc
Quote:
prentonpete1

And if there is should we take the money?
Depends on the player to some extent.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 12:20
Be a little silly if we did for little cash amount, but can't stop him playing league football either.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 12:42
If it's true about Scunthorpe I would be not surprised if he left and would not blame him. he has scored about 23goals this season and is now confined to the bench .you can see he is not a happy bunny I am happy for Cole Stockton he is starting to show his potential so he must stay .cook will score goals for sure .if I personally had to move someone on it would be Norwood .i know a lot of people rate him but the chances he has missed for whatever reason he should be level with cook on goal count ..l thought at first he was saving cook for the run in but now it's obvious he prefers Norwood ,how many other sides would leave their top goal scorer out of a promotion push ,l just don't get it ,I know Norwood works hard but it's goals that count ,lack of goals has cost us points. even with the 9 against Solihull which was a 1 off ,you won't see that again ,it's still not good enough .lf cook goes we will regret it

Briantrfc
Briantrfc (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 12:54
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
If it's true about Scunthorpe I would be not surprised if he left and would not blame him. he has scored about 23goals this season and is now confined to the bench .you can see he is not a happy bunny I am happy for Cole Stockton he is starting to show his potential so he must stay .cook will score goals for sure .if I personally had to move someone on it would be Norwood .i know a lot of people rate him but the chances he has missed for whatever reason he should be level with cook on goal count ..l thought at first he was saving cook for the run in but now it's obvious he prefers Norwood ,how many other sides would leave their top goal scorer out of a promotion push ,l just don't get it ,I know Norwood works hard but it's goals that count ,lack of goals has cost us points. even with the 9 against Solihull which was a 1 off ,you won't see that again ,it's still not good enough .lf cook
goes we will regret it

+1

Cook hasnt had the credit he deserves for what he has done for us this season, he is constantly criticised and very rarely praised. Its almost as if MM has thought he has done what had to be done & he can be benched now which isnt fair on the lad after working his socks off. With out his injury and with out been benched he could of been on 30+ goals for us. I hope if he does go another team apriciates his goal scoring ability cuz we havent.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 12:59
Totally agree about Cook.He was benched when he was playing well and scoring regularly and for me is essential for the next season and certainly more important than Stockton or Mangan.On the other hand I would also want Norwood.His pace and energy is vital and I am convinced that his lack of goals is temporary

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 21:25
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
If it's true about Scunthorpe I would be not surprised if he left and would not blame him. he has scored about 23goals this season and is now confined to the bench .you can see he is not a happy bunny I am happy for Cole Stockton he is starting to show his potential so he must stay .cook will score goals for sure .if I personally had to move someone on it would be Norwood .i know a lot of people rate him but the chances he has missed for whatever reason he should be level with cook on goal count ..l thought at first he was saving cook for the run in but now it's obvious he prefers Norwood ,how many other sides would leave their top goal scorer out of a promotion push ,l just don't get it ,I know Norwood works hard but it's goals that count ,lack of goals has cost us points. even with the 9 against Solihull which was a 1 off ,you won't see that again ,it's still not good enough .lf cook goes we will regret it

Astounding post.

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 18:29
Worth using half of one of the remaining 2 games to see what a Cook-Cole partnership could do with quick players around and good crosses coming in.
Our dead ball/ corners play should be more productive for starters.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 19:05
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Worth using half of one of the remaining 2 games to see what a Cook-Cole partnership could do with quick players around and good crosses coming in.
Our dead ball/ corners play should be more productive for starters.

Our first goal came from a corner yesterday and our best position from a free kick came to nothing when Dunn took it and it was in an ideal position for Buxton who was also ready to take it.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 20:02
To go back to the original post,the most compelling thing about this league is that with sound leadership and management it is realistic to expect us to be contenders for promotion,and as long as that remains the case there is a sound chance that we will be promoted in due course.Remove that hope/expectation and gates would plummet.
If teams like Accrington,Rochdale,Scunthorpe,Crewe,Colchester,Yeovil,Mansfield etc can sustain a league club then so can we. It is not to assume a God given right but as a business/economic model it is clearly possible.Burton are an example of what can be achieved where there is a good chairman and sound management.
We have both at present and we have challenged this year albeit with elements of the side still needing development.
We are were we are because of a decade of the club being poorly run

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

18 April, 2017 22:13
Quote:
DevonExile
To go back to the original post,the most compelling thing about this league is that with sound leadership and management it is realistic to expect us to be contenders for promotion,and as long as that remains the case there is a sound chance that we will be promoted in due course.Remove that hope/expectation and gates would plummet.
If teams like Accrington,Rochdale,Scunthorpe,Crewe,Colchester,Yeovil,Mansfield etc can sustain a league club then so can we. It is not to assume a God given right but as a business/economic model it is clearly possible.Burton are an example of what can be achieved where there is a good chairman and sound management.
We have both at present and we have challenged this year albeit with elements of the side still needing development.
We are were we are because of a decade of the club being poorly run
Last season better than the season before this season better than last season onwards and upwards

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net