football
Latest News:

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

Stats since Micky took charge
15 April, 2017 12:42
The other day I made a point, responding to our friend gimpy...... that if we had Micky from the start of the season, we would be out of sight by now.

I've just done the research, and I was wrong!

P29
W19
D5
L5

Pts 62
Average 2.137 ppm

That's a season total of 98, Lincoln could finish on 103.

Let's hope and prey that we do enough in the playoffs to get out of this damn league!!

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

Re: Stats since Micky took charge
15 April, 2017 14:10
Quote:
mini_andy
The other day I made a point, responding to our friend gimpy...... that if we had Micky from the start of the season, we would be out of sight by now.

P29
W19
D5
L5

Pts 62
Average 2.137 ppm

Let's hope and prey that we do enough in the playoffs to get out of this damn league!!

Can I echo your last sentence a thousand times.
Anyone who will currently accept a third season in this league because they are TRFC through and through and will only be "positive"; this is not positivity, it's defeatism and portrays a lack of ambition (well that's my take on it). If it comes to it, we'll all have to accept it but, right now, f#*k the idea!!! Let's be loud and proud at Guiseley and get back to winning ways (see you there)! Let's just look at our previous two games as a hangover after a good night out! The fat lady ain't sang yet as far as promotion is concerned and winning at Wembley will be oh so sweet. By no means do I wear rose-tinted glasses but I refuse to give up on the idea of promotion; so for those of us who haven't experienced it for a while (particularly if you're married), there could still be an exciting climax to come!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2017 15:42 by Phil65.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 14:23
Didn't want the play offs,but if we have to go down that road hopefully we can get to the final with most of the squad fully fit and if we play like we did against FGR but with the ball finding the net we can do it.

One thing extra I would wish for on top off winning at Wembley would be the four officials, that being the Ref the two Assistant Ref's and the fourth official be Premership/Championship level and not any of these clowns out of this pub league.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 17:08
Amen to that.Did not note the names but the best referees this season were all away,Bromley,Eastleigh and Wrexham.Mainly because you didn't notice them where as most are either inconsistent or prima donna that like to be noticed.
The great regret for me as Tollit will not play if we get to Wembley.The space and his pace could have been match winning.The slight doubt is whether the width of the pitch could expose our central defenders. Mind you it is all academic until we win the semi

smithy43
smithy43 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 18:03
Just had a look at the referee for last years semi-final. The guy was Robert Jones, who was a conference ref last season but got promoted to League 2 this year. The snippet from Grimsby's website - "
Currently in his second season at this level, Jones will be rewarded for his performances over the course of the campaign by being given the chance to officiate the showpiece fixture," So looks like we'll get the best ref in this league if its any consolation. Link below

[www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk]

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 19:19
Loving the positive vibes from this thread - positivity is the key word I would associate with mickeys tenure in fact.

I live in Liverpool so talking football over here is often an instructive process on my part as most adult friends support Liverpool and Everton. The way I have spoken about us since mickey took over is laced with, and under-pinned by, positivity.

We are play off bound with a team that Brabin couldn't get a tune out of, and mickey has done that despite the additional handicap of taking over mid-season.

He has also instilled a level of professionalism and quality that has seen the team adapting from a two winger system to wing backs (including what I thought was a seamless switch to a flat back four in the Aldershot game).

My five year old son loves going to the match with me and was proudly running around Calderstones Park this afternoon in his Tranmere kit. This is the legacy that Mickey is laying down and I would love it (sorry) if we had a Wembley trip this season.

SWA.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 22:40
Quote:
Kenny_Crons
Loving the positive vibes from this thread - positivity is the key word I would associate with mickeys tenure in fact.
I live in Liverpool so talking football over here is often an instructive process on my part as most adult friends support Liverpool and Everton. The way I have spoken about us since mickey took over is laced with, and under-pinned by, positivity.

We are play off bound with a team that Brabin couldn't get a tune out of, and mickey has done that despite the additional handicap of taking over mid-season.

He has also instilled a level of professionalism and quality that has seen the team adapting from a two winger system to wing backs (including what I thought was a seamless switch to a flat back four in the Aldershot game).

My five year old son loves going to the match with me and was proudly running around Calderstones Park this afternoon in his Tranmere kit. This is the legacy that Mickey is laying down and I would love it (sorry) if we had a Wembley trip this season.

SWA.
I would agree the style of play is now a lot better and more entertaining than Brabin was able to get from the team despite the huge injury problems that have hit us.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 23:44
Quote:
Kenny_Crons

That's not entirely fair, as most people were not complaining when Brabin had 5 in 5 and got top and also Mickey is getting great form with a goalkeeper and defense all of whom are Brabin recruits, except Ridehalgh who is a retained player and Ihiekwe who is a throwback to the league days.

However although I don't think Brabin was complete garbage like some might, I still feel more assured by Mellon, as at least Mellon has encouraged more goal scoring in the team, by getting a bit more out of Brabin signings like Cook and has been willing to be a little more experimental at times with tactics and a bit more shrewd with subs.

For me Brabin tried his best, but compared to his old mucka Micky Mellon he did come up a bit short, but if it wasn't for players like Cook, Harris, McNulty, Davies etc, Mellon might be not have been doing as well, depending on his recruitment had he been in charge in June, although what little influence Mellon has had on recruitment so far, I:E: Dunn and Tollit, as examples, looks reassuring.

So Brabin deserves a bit of thanks and respect for trying his best and not least for achieving, until recently, the best points total Tranmere, if I recall, have ever had.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 08:10
Thanks are due in terms of the squad that we have because they are all brabins players, so fair enough in that respect.

But my main point was about an undefinable feeling that simply wasn't there until mickey arrived.

I was in holiday at the start of the season and missed the winning start so my first game was Southport away. I was really excited going to the game and to say I was underwhelmed was a huge understatement.

I just feel that brabin wasn't really up to it and mickey is, and the atmospher in the ground proves that beyond any stats.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 10:36
Quote:
mini_andy

P29
W19
D5
L5

Pts 62
Average 2.137 ppm

If Micky had been in charge from the beginning, he would have brought in better players earlier and had a preseason to get the team sorted. So you cannot really extrapolate from what he has achieved with Brabin's team , which is pretty damn good anyway. I do echo the sentiment of promotion though.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 18:54
From the beginning, by that do you mean this season or last, as had it been this season, would he necessarily have signed a player like Cook and if it was last season, I don't think he'd have had as much of a chance based on Cook's circumstances.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 19:04
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Kenny_Crons

That's not entirely fair, as most people were not complaining when Brabin had 5 in 5 and got top and also Mickey is getting great form with a goalkeeper and defense all of whom are Brabin recruits, except Ridehalgh who is a retained player and Ihiekwe who is a throwback to the league days.

However although I don't think Brabin was complete garbage like some might, I still feel more assured by Mellon, as at least Mellon has encouraged more goal scoring in the team, by getting a bit more out of Brabin signings like Cook and has been willing to be a little more experimental at times with tactics and a bit more shrewd with subs.

For me Brabin tried his best, but compared to his old mucka Micky Mellon he did come up a bit short, but if it wasn't for players like Cook, Harris, McNulty, Davies etc, Mellon might be not have been doing as well, depending on his recruitment had he been in charge in June, although what little influence Mellon has had on recruitment so far, I:E: Dunn and Tollit, as examples, looks reassuring.

So Brabin deserves a bit of thanks and respect for trying his best and not least for achieving, until recently, the best points total Tranmere, if I recall, have ever had.
The way I look at Brabins tenure is he came in when we were at our lowest ever ebb. He ended up with an away record we may never see again and finished 3 pts off 3rd. His and his teams biggest problem was working out how to overcome sides that came to PP. They virtually all played defensive and tried to catch us on the break. After a couple of defeats they looked terrified at being caught and it showed in our game. Mickey does seem to play more like the home side at PP and takes games to opposition and it's paid off.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 19:24
Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Kenny_Crons

The way I look at Brabins tenure is he came in when we were at our lowest ever ebb. He ended up with an away record we may never see again and finished 3 pts off 3rd. His and his teams biggest problem was working out how to overcome sides that came to PP. They virtually all played defensive and tried to catch us on the break. After a couple of defeats they looked terrified at being caught and it showed in our game. Mickey does seem to play more like the home side at PP and takes games to opposition and it's paid off.
In a nutshell , Mickey has more of an idea how to break down teams who come and park a double Decker right across PP .

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 21:15
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Kenny_Crons

In a nutshell , Mickey has more of an idea how to break down teams who come and park a double Decker right across PP .

I'm not sure that is totally true, though it is to an extent for sure. Brabin had a basically defence first set up, which is why we had a good record away from home and against the better sides. Micky is much better at beating the weaker sides. For Brabin it didn't work when teams set out to defend against us, particularly at home. For Micky, the more attacking style hasnt worked against the better sides to date. If we'd got near the record we had last year against the top 6 and away from home this year we would already be promoted and similarly if we'd been able to dispatch teams at home last year we would have won the league as well.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 21:47
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Kenny_Crons

I'm not sure that is totally true, though it is to an extent for sure. Brabin had a basically defence first set up, which is why we had a good record away from home and against the better sides. Micky is much better at beating the weaker sides. For Brabin it didn't work when teams set out to defend against us, particularly at home. For Micky, the more attacking style hasnt worked against the better sides to date. If we'd got near the record we had last year against the top 6 and away from home this year we would already be promoted and similarly if we'd been able to dispatch teams at home last year we would have won the league as well.
and don't underestimate the difference the crowd make. Brain was pretty much universally hated and it oozed down onto the pitch. The crowd were on the players backs and the atmosphere was lets say uninspiring. The owners, the manager, the staff, the players have come out recebtly and said what a difference it makes to have a passionate crowd.

MESSAGES->author
Armaghwhite (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 21:56
Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Kenny_Crons

and don't underestimate the difference the crowd make. Brain was pretty much universally hated and it oozed down onto the pitch. The crowd were on the players backs and the atmosphere was lets say uninspiring. The owners, the manager, the staff, the players have come out recebtly and said what a difference it makes to have a passionate crowd.
I disagree he was universally hated. A lot of good points made about the side he built. MM gets the ball moving quicker giving defences less time to organise which is why I think we have been more successful. I met GB once and he was a decent bloke, definitely don't hate him.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 22:19
Quote:
Armaghwhite
Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Kenny_Crons

I disagree he was universally hated. A lot of good points made about the side he built. MM gets the ball moving quicker giving defences less time to organise which is why I think we have been more successful. I met GB once and he was a decent bloke, definitely don't hate him.
I certainly don't hate Brabin, he bought some stability which was much needed, he effectively built most of the squad we have now, pretty much from scratch. Although he did have a run of 5 victories at the start of the season, I don't think performances were great during that period and I felt that he rather ran out of ideas on how to get the best out of the squad. MM has experience of getting teams out of the NL which is what we needed.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 11:22
Quote:
Matt34
From the beginning, by that do you mean this season or last, as had it been this season, would he necessarily have signed a player like Cook and if it was last season, I don't think he'd have had as much of a chance based on Cook's circumstances.

The original post refers to this season. I was replying to that post.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 11:52
Even when we were on that opening run there were may,me included,who felt that we were not convincing.It was that silly period when any doubter was labelled negative. It is interesting to see how many posters who where then anti any expression of concern are now some of those most strongly praising the improvement under Mellon.
MM has done well in reshaping the squad and showing more flexibility about playing formations.For several months he didn't seem to know his best side and injuries played a part in getting key people like Harris as a fixture. That said MM has done remarkably well to keep us competitive during the recent spate of injuries.
It is too soon to judge his effectiveness in terms of recruitment.Some signings such as Tollit are superb but the signing of Dawson and Wallace and even Mangan are more questionable.With his general track record though there is every reason to think that by the end of the season we will be far stronger than at the start of last year

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net