14 April, 2017 17:20

Where will we finish in the play offs?

Semi Final Losers
Final Losers
Final Winners

You must be logged in to vote.

57 Votes

Show results

Think the ideal route is Dover then Daggers in the final, knowing our luck we'll lose on pens to FGR in the final.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

Re: poll play offs
14 April, 2017 17:44
Exhausted

smithy43
smithy43 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 18:06
Do a grimsby, rest all the players next couple games, and let the fringe have an audition to make the play off squad

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 18:27
The difference is Grimsby were secure. They couldn't go second or third. We can't. I'd much rather finish second. Rest the players for the last game if we can. That's enough.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 18:58
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
The difference is Grimsby were secure. They couldn't go second or third. We can't. I'd much rather finish second. Rest the players for the last game if we can. That's enough.

+1

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:17
Agree2

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2017 19:22
Was going to edit that as it made no sense, but as Hoots agreed it must have to him! Grimsby finished third. And were guaranteed that spot about 3 weeks out. We aren't secure in second by any means. Let's go into the playoffs with confidence and finish second.

14 April, 2017 19:23
Knew as soon as I opened this that losers would be top. I wonder why some people on this forum support Tranmere. We will win the play off final and be playing league football next year.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:26
Do we have any fringe players left. Dunn I believe has only started training this week, Sutton had a reaction to his injury last week. Obviously there's Sousa and Collins.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:27
Yes Steve it's maddening.can't name names again but there posts are consistent .

14 April, 2017 19:31
Quote:
Loyden1
Yes Steve it's maddening.can't name names again but there posts are consistent .

It's boring now though mate. There's a difference of opinion and then there's just being constantly negative.

Old Yeller
Old Yeller (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:37
Maybe it's just a realistic assessment of where we think we will end up. Doesn't demonstrate negativity necessarily

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:43
We can win the play-offs but not with Hughes and Norwood who I'm afraid were appallingly bad today again.
Maynard wasnt much better but he has just come back from injury and did improve as the game went on.

Cole played well up front & scored another cracking goal but needs a strike partner who can score - Cook or Collins.

Jennings played well again, also scored another cracking goal. Wallace could play the holding midfield role with Souza wide midfield.

With those changes we can definitely win.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:44
I will always back us to win. I'll be at the first leg, no matter where it is. Unfortunately im away for the second, but the final is already pencilled in.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:46
Quote:
steve mungalls Highlights
Knew as soon as I opened this that losers would be top. I wonder why some people on this forum support Tranmere. We will win the play off final and be playing league football next year.
I am certain that every Rovers poster hopes for the same thing. But the record show that the play offs are such a lottery that they are unpredictable.In these circumstances it is no unreasonable that some fear the worst I remember the heart break of the loss to Notts County, Swindon and Hartlepool all games teams where there was reason to feel that we would be the stronger side
Ok some are more hopeful than others but it is no reason to feel superior to those that fear it is often not the best team that wins the play offs

smithy43
smithy43 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 20:03
Quote:
2 the moon
Do we have any fringe players left. Dunn I believe has only started training this week, Sutton had a reaction to his injury last week. Obviously there's Sousa and Collins.

also dawson, mangan, mekki, the 5 subs today, duggan, steve jenno all deserve some game time i believe. would love to know what the beef is between micky and cook/dawson.
Have to agree negativity breeds negativity, the way we've got behind the fans last few games has won us games and probably got us a point today, without the fans we'd be well further down

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 20:12
I am one of the ones being touted as negative and that's fine the trouble is this team is not as good as many on here blindly think they are .people saying we were going to win the League when it was obvious we were not weeks if not months ago .people predicting 3-1 3-0 win today never going to happen myself and others on here don't criticise some of the totally over the top positive predictions so don't criticise us ,some of you reside in la la land as far as rovers are concerned any critisism is met with indignation .as far as this poll is showing there is quite a few agree with what I am saying ,so get over it guys and accept what it iS .other people's opinions

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2017 20:18
I really don't think there is any beef with Cook. Simply put, as an attacking force the team has looked miles better as a unit over the last 4 games than at any point over the last 2 seasons in this league. Does it need to be any deeper than that? I am one of Cook's biggest fans and was from day one. I was also Norwood's loudest critics. I wouldn't change the forward line at this time though. Stockton is scoring goals and the movement of Jennings/Norwood plus the overlapping wing backs is what is creating the chances.

If we change tactics then things change. But as it stands I wouldn't.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 20:23
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
We can win the play-offs but not with Hughes and Norwood who I'm afraid were appallingly bad today again.
Maynard wasnt much better but he has just come back from injury and did improve as the game went on.

Cole played well up front & scored another cracking goal but needs a strike partner who can score - Cook or Collins.

Jennings played well again, also scored another cracking goal. Wallace could play the holding midfield role with Souza wide midfield.

Norwood was that bad today he had a hand in both our goals. And was involved in pretty much e everything we managed to create.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 20:37
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

You said the same over and over again on the other board about Stockton and just talk absolute bull about Norwood. Collins has scored one goal when we were already eight up and has hardly played at all for us!!

Viking Tranmere

14 April, 2017 20:39
Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

Norwood was that bad today he had a hand in both our goals. And was involved in pretty much e everything we managed to create.

couldnt disagree more. Constantly offside or fouling, and failing to hold the ball up. And failed to score again when in good positions.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:14
Because of our poor record against the top sides I can see why some people think we wont win the play offs. I don't see why some people think that Wallace is the answer. One of the main problems we've had this season was lack of pace in midfield Wallace wont solve that. When Harris got into the team we played a lot better because of his pace.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:22
Quote:
Old Rover
Because of our poor record against the top sides I can see why some people think we wont win the play offs. I don't see why some people think that Wallace is the answer. One of the main problems we've had this season was lack of pace in midfield Wallace wont solve that. When Harris got into the team we played a lot better because of his pace.

I agree about Harris but if Wallace were to be recalled I would put him instead of Hughes.

With regard to the ''poor record against the top sides[apart from Dover],I would say that the only game we deserved to lose was against Dagenham at home[I didn't see the Lincoln home game as I was on holiday]

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:26
If we play to our potential , play it to feet and take our chances I don't fear anyone .

jim rockford
jim rockford (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:42
Question in the context of how the play off games are played what difference does it make if we finish 2nd or 3rd.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:45
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover

I agree about Harris but if Wallace were to be recalled I would put him instead of Hughes.

With regard to the ''poor record against the top sides[apart from Dover],I would say that the only game we deserved to lose was against Dagenham at home[I didn't see the Lincoln home game as I was on holiday]
I take your point but we have got a poor record against the top teams. Do you think that any team will fear us in the play offs( asking a question not making a statement ).

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:54
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover
I think most teams would fear us . They would fear us More than we fear them.

I take your point but we have got a poor record against the top teams. Do you think that any team will fear us in the play offs( asking a question not making a statement ).

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:54
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover

No. But nor should we fear any of them.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:57
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover
I think most teams would fear us . They would fear us More than we fear them.

I think most teams would fear us . They would fear us More than we fear them .

smithy43
smithy43 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 22:03
Thing is teams like Dover, FGR and Daggers aren't used to playing with so much pressure on them. Come the playoffs, the pressure may just get to them. For us its another game were expected to win, so no real extra expectation on the players. But the players at Dover will now have this extra pressure on them to perform and I reckon we can do it against them, same as the final. In the league they just come and play with no pressure hence the sh*te record, but in the play offs its a different story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2017 22:04 by smithy43.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 22:20
I said after FGR Lincoln will drop points, don't think they will know as they are secure. Ultimately what has cost us this season is our inability to score goals against good sides. We don't take our chances, second half we created very little and for all the possession offered little danger. Harris' us a big miss no-one offers his effort from the rest of the midfield. I really like Hughes but he's ineffective in the 5 3 2. That system requires a midfield runner getting into the box to support your forwards who bar Norwood are pretty static. Think I would drop Hughes, move Norwood back to midfield as he is the only other who can match Harris for running and invite him to get forwards as much as possible. Maynard would have to sit deep and then bring either Mangan or Susa in up front to try and give an extra dimension. Without something different we won't progress past the semis. We have beaten no top sides bar Dover which has ultimately cost us the league, and nothing from that game would convince me other wise.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 23:31
I have voted for us to win the final at wembley, but 3 words to describe the play offs from a fans perspective..horrible, nervy, unenjoyable.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 06:30
Also, look at the other teams in the playoffs:

Us
Daggers
FGR
Dover/aldershot

If them, at Wembley, I can only see us a daggers having any form of decent following. We would take 20k, which would be more then the rest, and at least double FGR and Dover.

We really could be the 12th man!

Viking Tranmere

15 April, 2017 07:54
Aldershot looked good yesterday with their very fast forwards, credit to our defence 2nd half we got the measure of them.
Dover - who look as if they will pip them to 5th spot - also looked good against us at PP - big, lean, quick players, and not the bunch of play-actors that we had here last season.

Dagenham - didnt see the game at PP but the TV game away, there was an outstanding performance by Mitch Duggan.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 08:04
Quote:
smithy43
Quote:
2 the moon

also dawson, mangan, mekki, the 5 subs today, duggan, steve jenno all deserve some game time i believe. would love to know what the beef is between micky and cook/dawson.
Have to agree negativity breeds negativity, the way we've got behind the fans last few games has won us games and probably got us a point today, without the fans we'd be well further down
I do not think that any professional deserves a game.They have to earn that and Jennings,Meekki and Dawson do not merit selection before those currently playing.
As for negativity breeding negativity it is founded on the false assumption that those that see the play offs as a lottery lack passion at matches.Well I fall into the group that recognises that all too often the best side is not the one that comes out on top.But I will totally hope that we succeed and at games will be as positive as anyone..The whole branding of people as negative is just far too simplistic for attitudes to a club and its situation are multi layered

Viking Tranmere

15 April, 2017 08:47
Quote:
smithy43
Do a grimsby, rest all the players next couple games, and let the fringe have an audition to make the play off squad

Good idea, particular against the Guiseley "bruisers" and the plastic Maidstone pitch.
Maybe Southport (home) play the regulars as it will be a "nothing" game, maybe even a mock penalty shoot out in front of the Kop and sheds. If there is a penalty shoot out in the SF's it will be at home.

MESSAGES->author

15 April, 2017 09:08
Quote:
Higgosboots
I said after FGR Lincoln will drop points, don't think they will know as they are secure. Ultimately what has cost us this season is our inability to score goals against good sides. We don't take our chances, second half we created very little and for all the possession offered little danger. Harris' us a big miss no-one offers his effort from the rest of the midfield. I really like Hughes but he's ineffective in the 5 3 2. That system requires a midfield runner getting into the box to support your forwards who bar Norwood are pretty static. Think I would drop Hughes, move Norwood back to midfield as he is the only other who can match Harris for running and invite him to get forwards as much as possible. Maynard would have to sit deep and then bring either Mangan or Susa in up front to try and give an extra dimension. Without something different we won't progress past the semis. We have beaten no top sides bar Dover which has ultimately cost us the league, and nothing from that game would convince me other wise.

What you say about the 532 is correct. (Are we really setting up like that by the way? I see it as more of a 3421). But I digress and I do disagree with your conclusions. Hughes is the one who holds the team together and keeps the ball moving, getting the wing backs involved. He is not the midfield runner and never has been but he is very effective in his role and it allowed Harris the freedom to attack the ball and make forward runs knowing he has protection behind. Wallace and Jenno could hold,they may offer a better range of passing, but can they hold the middle of the pitch as well? Similarly Maynard can make forward runs like Harris, but I seriously doubt his ability to get around the pitch in the same way.

Norwood in the centre of midfield? I can't see that at all. He's great at chasing down the ball but being disciplined in the heart of the pitch. I can't see it at all.

I also don't see this fascination some have with Sousa. He's tricky enough and has made contributions off the bench but I don't at the moment see a player that can come in and dominate in a full time role. Is he miles better than Mekki?

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 09:24
I take the following view. We will be one of four teams in the play-offs. That gives us a 4 to 1 chance of returning to League 2.

MESSAGES->author

15 April, 2017 10:29
will FGR pip us to 2nd spot? 5 days ago we were 7pts clear of them, now its down to just the 2pts.

FGRs remaining 3 games..

Away Southport
Home Maidstone
Away York

MESSAGES->author

15 April, 2017 10:37
I think most managers know which team they would rather face in the play offs.. who thinks the best for rovers would be Dover in the semis and Daggers at wembley?.. Aldershot v dover this Monday. what would be worse for Rovers in the play offs, a bang in form Ricky Miller or the Aldershot Front line firing on all cylinders? was mightily impressed with the shots in the final third of the pitch yesterday. their movement and touches were very good and some of the little one-twos they played in and around the box left us completely flat-footed at times. we have kept Miller quiet in the 2 league games this season and he hasn't scored against us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2017 10:50 by hong kong rover.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 10:53
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
I am one of the ones being touted as negative and that's fine the trouble is this team is not as good as many on here blindly think they are .people saying we were going to win the League when it was obvious we were not weeks if not months ago .people predicting 3-1 3-0 win today never going to happen myself and others on here don't criticise some of the totally over the top positive predictions so don't criticise us ,some of you reside in la la land as far as rovers are concerned any critisism is met with indignation .as far as this poll is showing there is quite a few agree with what I am saying ,so get over it guys and accept what it iS .other people's opinions

Highest points total in any season ever for Tranmere. Highest number of wins that i can remember .Guaranteed to be in playoffs. Lots to be negative about.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 10:58
Seems to me that in general the team that finish as NL champions tend to struggle in league 2 whereas the playoff winners go from strength to strength. Always an exception, depending on how much money thrown at the club.

MESSAGES->author

15 April, 2017 11:09
when we have been live on bt sport this season it has often p*ssed down and we haven't lost..

Away Daggers 0-0 draw, chucked it down
Away Chester 3-2 win, chucked it down
Away Wrexham 1-0 win, chucked it down
Home Aldershot 2-2 draw, chucked it down

with the play offs being televised, hope the heavens open on those play off days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2017 11:10 by hong kong rover.

gazza102
gazza102 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 11:09
It was a simple question, why give the options if when you tick a box other than "final winners" it is seen as being negative. There are arguments for and against each of the options given I sincerely hope we are final winners but this is a forum and people bring there own view point based on their knowledge and experience. Eachof the teams vying for the finals are good teams based on their season performance.

If we had all of our players at the managers disposal I would have no doubt we would win, but our lack of midfield options is an issue it may get better over the next few weeks but I think we will struggle if our only midfield options are Hughes, Maynard and Wallace. That's not being negative it is my opinion based on watching 30+ games this season.

smithy43
smithy43 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 11:20
Would it be worth experimenting with vaughan in CM alongside Hughes? Might seem a daft idea but he's very much the same player as harris - chases all game, decent ball on him and knows how to defend, got a wicked strike in him too? Does seem to have a lot of energy which is clearly lacking in Wallace and Maynard.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 12:22
Does Maynard lack energy? Or is he simply match rusty. In general his mobility has looked good,where as the impact of past injuries remains permanent for Wallace

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 16:01
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

Highest points total in any season ever for Tranmere. Highest number of wins that i can remember .Guaranteed to be in playoffs. Lots to be negative about.
In reality it's only comparable to last season as we've only spent two seasons in this marvellous league. It almost does a disservice to some of our great teams of the past who may have had less wins and fewer points. The National League; "You can't polish a turd but you can sprinkle glitter on it".

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 16:34
Yes, but remember our budget and players directly reflect the league we're in. It's not like we still have a league 1 side playing in this league. So the points total IS an achievement.

We're down here because of what happened in the past. It's the deck of cards we've been handed.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 20:54
Quote:
mini_andy
Yes, but remember our budget and players directly reflect the league we're in. It's not like we still have a league 1 side playing in this league. So the points total IS an achievement.
We're down here because of what happened in the past. It's the deck of cards we've been handed.

Being directly comparable to part-time teams doesn't sit well with me and never will. It is far from a level playing field. It's also the deck of cards, as the dealer, we shuffled ourselves. Of course the points total, by it's nature, is an achievement; certainly not the biggest or proudest moment in the club's history as I feel the sales pitch is trying to lead me to believe. As an off the cuff and ill-thought out comparison, it's like we've come runners-up in the employee of the year for Netto after recently losing our well-respected position at Waitrose.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 13:26
The sad side of not beating Lincoln twice this season(like they did to us) (Sm62)would have been a win on Monday
for us and defeat for Lincoln on Monday.

Would have meant us being crowned Champions on Monday sad ain't it.

Just shows how costly those Lincoln games turned out to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2017 13:29 by BELMONT.

smithy43
smithy43 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 17:42
I remember the lincoln away game, we had harris on the wing with mangan up top. Looking back, Micky probably didnt know his best 11 by then hence we lost. Reckon if we played that game 2 weeks ago theres no way we would have lost. The home game we had FOUR centre mids playing!! No wonder they won and we didnt score. If we won 1 and drew one we'd be 5 ahead of them right now, which essentially cost us the title. Thank f*ck we now have a grip on the best formation/players which eradicates some of the results against the teams around us.

Zint
Zint (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 13:06
My big concern is that our record on penalties means all a team has to do is grind out a draw in the final. If it then goes to a shoot out we're stuffed.

MESSAGES->author

17 April, 2017 16:00
aldershot beat dover to move into the last play off place but dover have a game in hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 16:01 by hong kong rover.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net