football
Latest News:

Wirral Tranny
Wirral Tranny (IP Logged)

Andy Cook
14 April, 2017 11:20
No one can doubt the impact that Cole has had in recent weeks. He is finally using his frame and putting himself about and is getting the results. I believe that COOK is a better all round player with more to his game and has proven over the season that he can score goals. with a play off place now guaranteed is it worth tinkering with the formation and playing 4-4-2. with Cooke and Cole as main strikers,Norwood on the left and Jennings on the right and Hughes and Maynard in the Middle, The defensive four would be Buxton, Ihiekwe, McNulty and Ridelagh. I think missing Harris for the rest of the season will impact on the service that he and Hughes give to the forwards and this line up would give us real firepower and strength upfront and we would bully any defence in this league and league two, something that we didn't do against FGR.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

Re: Andy Cook
14 April, 2017 11:41
As I've said before, I'm not sure that we can play as we have been without Harris. There just isn't anyone else who can get about the pitch. Some may say Maynard but I don't. So if we revert to a 442, and I think we probably have to then Cook, for me, has to play. Who goes alongside him is a different matter. Cole is more mobile and works well with the way we have been setting up, but not sure you can play the two. You can't carry a non-scoring forward with 2 up front, no matter how hard he works. We are back where we started really. I'd be tempted to try the two big lads up front and Nors/Connor wide.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 12:42
Cook to start.....Mickey can pick the rest of the team!!!!

iagoapcen
iagoapcen (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 12:46
Can't see him wanting to change the system tbh because they are used to it and playing well. so probably a one for one change. hopefully maynard.

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2017 12:56
Quote:
iagoapcen
Can't see him wanting to change the system tbh because they are used to it and playing well. so probably a one for one change. hopefully maynard.

Ths is true, but if Harris was the one that made the system work with his energy and we don't have anyone else to do that, will we still play well? That's the issue. I suspect you are right, but I also suspect we don't have the personnel to carry it off without Harris.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 13:08
No need for a change of system. It seems to suit so many of our players. And apart from being desperately unlucky in Tuesday it's been very successful.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 13:17
Collins can be used, he's only had a short time on the pitch but he never let himself or the team down.

He comes highly rated by Wolves, and I'm sure we had him watched before bringing him here?

Norwood does run his socks off, but usually wastes at least 2 golden chances in every game.

Stockton could be used as an impact player to come on and nick a goal.

Mangan seems to be well down the pecking order and it's hard to see him figuring in any of our remaining games.

Sousa and Jennings could be effective as wing players with Maynard and Hughes in the middle.

Norwood as cover and Wallace as midfield cover on the bench.

Wirral Tranny

14 April, 2017 19:31
Cooky given 15 minutes at the end of the game. Its not good enough. He will be the player to get us promoted through the play offs. Play Cole and Cooky together, they both deserve to start and will score. thought right hand side of defence looked shakey today and boy did we miss Harris in midfield.

14 April, 2017 20:29
Cook has to start now. He's had a rest get him back in there.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 20:39
Quote:
steve mungalls Highlights
Cook has to start now. He's had a rest get him back in there.

+1

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 20:49
I go with that and the enforced absence of Harris was a reminder of why the midfield looked mediocre during the period he was overlooked

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:03
Quote:
DevonExile
I go with that and the enforced absence of Harris was a reminder of why the midfield looked mediocre during the period he was overlooked

Jennings played very well and scored another great goal. Hughes and Maynard were very poor, should be replaced by Wallace and Souza

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:20
Maynard I can just about make an allowance for due to his lack of 1st team football for a while . But Hughes has become so pedestrian lately and his passing in the last 3 games has been woeful . Don't know if he's carrying a slight injury or its a confidence thing but he's becoming a liability .

omd white
OMD WHITE (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:23
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Quote:
DevonExile

Jennings played very well and scored another great goal. Hughes and Maynard were very poor, should be replaced by Wallac
e and Souza
Replaced by Wallace really ? Maynard was a bit rusty today but I put that down to match sharpness he has far more to offer than Wallace. Think souza could of done with a bit more of the ball he can definatley cause the opposition problems . Hopefully Dunne could be back for playoffs.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:26
Quote:
DevonExile

I wouldn't have put Jennings in place of Harris and played Sousa up front today, Maynard was not up for it today after his lay off.

tranmerepete
tranmerepete (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 00:14
The problem with not playing him is that we have a player that was bang on form. Now he is not playing it will take away his sharpness plus match fitness at the most important time for us for years.......

Every ball is a white ball............TRFC

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 06:36
Cook isn't playing for a reason, probably that in a 5 3 2, he isn't fit enough to do the running g neither quick enough. He's overweight an it needs addressing

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 07:43
MM addressed this last week. He said he isn't hitting the numbers, so doesn't play. What those numbers are I don't know, I'm guessing something to do with the GPS trackers they wear?

Do they wear them in training too? Could that be the problem, he's a poor trainer?

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 08:30
Quote:
mini_andy
MM addressed this last week. He said he isn't hitting the numbers, so doesn't play. What those numbers are I don't know, I'm guessing something to do with the GPS trackers they wear?
Do they wear them in training too? Could that be the problem, he's a poor trainer?

Will be GPS trackers, and that's how Norwood keeps his place as he never stops running.. I bet he even runs home after the match 🙂

tranmerepete
tranmerepete (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 09:15
So as a forward if you run all day but don't score you get picked. But if you score 23 goals you get dropped.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 09:43
Quote:
tranmerepete
So as a forward if you run all day but don't score you get picked. But if you score 23 goals you get dropped.

Well I guess if you are providing assists and help all over the pitch it's better than dropping Norwood as Cook or Stockton don't do any close as much of that type of work. Stockton is scoring equally as good as Cook that's why they are just straight swaps for each other.

MESSAGES->author

15 April, 2017 10:12
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
tranmerepete

Well I guess if you are providing assists and help all over the pitch it's better than dropping Norwood as Cook or Stockton don't do any close as much of that type of work. Stockton is scoring equally as good as Cook that's why they are just straight swaps for each other.

Basically yes! We are creating miles more chances than we were. We may not convert quite as many, but overall if we score more goals it is surely the correct decision.

Wirral Tranny

15 April, 2017 10:25
Yep, he is a bit porky however his frame is part of his game. If he had blistering pace built like Lynford Christie and stored 23 goals a season even when not playing 90 minutes every game he wouldn't be playing in the national league. He is the target man this club has been screaming out for since league one days. No one can doubt the effort that Norwood put in and what he can create so play him on the left. If it doesn't work then change it around. 3.5.2 hasn't worked for them
last two games so let's mix it up a bit to try and break teams down.

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 11:00
Give James his due, he did play an excellent ball throiugh to set up Connor for his goal. But he himself needs over 10 clear cut chances (including penalties) for every goal he scores now and that just isnt good enough to get us out of this league.

Aaron Collins has played for 10 minutes, and with his 2 chances scores one and hits the post with the other.

tranmerepete
tranmerepete (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 11:01
I would say the chances are coming from the wings and Jay Harris lately in midfield and Conner. I would imagin Cook would have converted more as well now that we are feeding them the ball. Im all about playing players who are playing well but leaving cook out is a waste. We should be giving someone with 20 + goals a season more game time.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 18:23
Cook almost certainly would start at almost every other club.Is he that much slower than Rhead or Miller ?
He is no greyhound but his work rate is high and certainly matches that of Stockton.Just before he was benched he was often lauded as someone who works his socks off.Credit to Stockton but over time I would always back Cook to score more goals.
I just hope he gets more than 10-15 minutes a game as we will need him to have a sharpness to his game over the remainder of the season

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 19:11
I really don't understand people knocking Norwood for not scaoring.

He runs, he harries and he creates.

I am certain he would love to get a chance at being on the end of one of his own crosses or through balls.

If some of the other players set Norwood up for the chances he has created for others and he flunked them then fair enough.He is the type of player who makes things happen for others through effort and selflessness.

If only he'd stop getting caught offside.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 19:28
Quote:
Yiggsy
I really don't understand people knocking Norwood for not scaoring.
He runs, he harries and he creates.

I am certain he would love to get a chance at being on the end of one of his own crosses or through balls.

If some of the other players set Norwood up for the chances he has created for others and he flunked them then fair enough.He is the type of player who makes things happen for others through effort and selflessness.

Unfortunately +1 with your last sentence .

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 20:55
Stockton doesn't get caught offside because he doesn't move to offer options like Norwoog does.

Norwood is an unselfish runner who plays for the team. We need more like him.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 21:15
Quote:
Yiggsy

That's what happens when you test the oppositions back four.That's why he gets through too on more occasions than anybody else

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 21:19
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Give James his due, he did play an excellent ball throiugh to set up Connor for his goal. But he himself needs over 10 clear cut chances (including penalties) for every goal he scores now and that just isnt good enough to get us out of this league.

Aaron Collins has played for 10 minutes, and with his 2 chances scores one and hits the post with the other.

The one Collins scored was when it was eight nil and Solihull just wanted the final whistle.

Can you show us your stats to back up your ''over 10 clear cut chances[including penalties]'' claim please?

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 21:31
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Yiggsy

That's what happens when you test the oppositions back four.That's why he gets through too on more occasions than anybody else
Sorry Hoots , that's not testing the opposition back four , that's mis-timing your run .

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 22:50
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Yiggsy

Sorry Hoots , that's not testing the opposition back four , that's mis-timing your run .

I always think that our players don't ''take a chance''enough and run forward and anticipate where a cross or pass may come.Lots of times the cross or pass won't arrive there but some occasions it will and you then find yourself in a great position to score because of your extra effort to get there. I understand the logic of your comment but to me this is similar[and possibly just as illogical].(Sm159)

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 23:18
I don't think that leaving Cook on the bench is a reflection on his scoring ability. Both Cook and Stockton are target men but I think Stockton is better when the ball is played to feet, which is the style of play we are currently playing, however if the game plan is to play long, either from the start or during the game Cook is probably a better option.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 23:37
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Yiggsy

I always think that our players don't ''take a chance''enough and run forward and anticipate where a cross or pass may come.Lots of times the cross or pass won't arrive there but some occasions it will and you then find yourself in a great position to score because of your extra effort to get there. I understand the logic of your comment but to me this is similar[and possibly just as illogical].(Sm159)

+1 (not illogical!).
I would also add that often the pass or cross can arrive too late which negates any positive runs that are made.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 23:41
Andy Cook; streets ahead as player of the season a few weeks ago. Now the fall guy? Oh the joys of football and its fickle ways.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 23:54
Quote:
Phil65
Andy Cook; streets ahead as player of the season a few weeks ago. Now the fall guy? Oh the joys of football and its fickle ways.
I wouldn't call him a fall guy he is a great player and I don't think anyone could honestly say otherwise. Better than Stockton ? well that is subjective, Stockton is certainly in form too. Its difficult to see how they can both play as that would mean no place for Jennings or Norwood, who (while in Norwood's case at the moment) add goals and also energy which create chances. It is a tough call which to play in the front line and one that falls to MM.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 01:06
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

David Amoo didn't have a slew of chances on debut a few years back and scored with a toe poke, then his goal scoring, far from becoming fluent, went on to be as dry as an Arabs flip-flop, so a debut goal is at best a small indication of possible form, but it doesn't suddenly mean you're going to eclipse one or two other strikers; not that I'm saying you necessarily think that.

Personally he might have scored more playing in flip-flops, as you could hit the ball at the goal, a flip-flop comes off, tw@ts the goalie in the face and the ball goes past him whilst he's temporarily disorientated, but wearing them might inadvertently cause a slight increased risk of a 3rd metatarsal injury, which until Wayne Rooney got one, no player in history anywhere in the world had ever had, but nevertheless an injury which since then has increased 1,000,000% in frequency, to the point where it could become an injury that players crave, or risk getting mocked for if they haven't had one by the age of 30, as I think 3rd M I's are a badge of honour these days aren't they.

I think Collins was brought in for cover really, not because Micky Mellon suddenly had a massive panic attack about someone like Norwood and started hyperventilating on his mobile, desperately trying to bring in someone with added edge, for fear Norwoods combination of industry and output would kill the teams chances of promotion.

As for Cook he's scored 23 goals this season, so I'm not overly bothered about his supposed size and I think he's more bulk than chub anyway, a bit like Akinfenwa, whereas McNulty is bulk, but there is a bit too much chub there as well and even if Cook could lost 10 lbs of fat and then looked like a possible 30 goal player, what would stop Leicester from trying to nick him, as they have a habit of poaching 30 goal NL players, so hopefully if he only gets maybe 25-26 this season, he'll fly under the radar of clubs like that and Tranmere will keep hold of him, whatever happens.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author

16 April, 2017 10:19
Collins is here for the experience of being in a first team squad. While there is promise there and some ability in no way does he look the finished article. Could he come in and outperform our current starters? Very, very unlikely. 10 minutes against a beaten team who had given up is no way to judge him.

Zint
Zint (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 11:35
Cook,IMHO, offers more than Stockton. I would start him against Guisely as I think he needs a full 90 minutes under his belt. Watching Nors against FGR and Aldershot, I was impressed by his work rate and energy. He is another player that should always start for us, unless injured.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 13:09
Quote:
Zint
Cook,IMHO, offers more than Stockton. I would start him against Guisely as I think he needs a full 90 minutes under his belt. Watching Nors against FGR and Aldershot, I was impressed by his work rate and energy. He is another player that should always start for us, unless injured.

+1

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 13:30
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Zint

+1
In my opinion Norwood is our best player, or at least the best we have available.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 19:09
Agree. Cook should be starting. If he doesn't start in the play off games, we really are shooting ourselves in the foot

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 23:11
Given that we haven't won the last 2 matches mean that old adage of don't change a winning team is out of the window and Andy Cook will return to the side, and if continues to score goals like he was then he'll be there through the play-offs?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net