football
Latest News:

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

Match 42 discussion: Aldershot (H)
13 April, 2017 18:12
I'm still full of confidence, despite the FGR result. I'm going 4-2 with Lincoln drawing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 09:08 by mini_andy.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

Re: Match 42 discussion: Aldershot (H)
13 April, 2017 18:59
Not so confident.I thought that this would be the harder fixture at the beginning of the week.Hoping for a win but expecting a draw.Maybe 1-1.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 19:01
Aldershot defensively conceded the same number of goals, so I am going for a 2-1 to Rovers

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 20:54
Important to get back to winning ways, tough team to score against, so expect a close game and hope for a 1-0 win.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 20:57
2-1 i reckon. Can't make it tomorrow because of baby duty, Wirral Radio ready.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 21:28
Quote:
Hardly Irons
No excuse, bring them along :-)

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 21:59
Sorry again chaps Aldershot win

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 22:00
I'll be there, 2-0 home win, goals either side of half time

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 23:11
We both need points! 1-1 for me !

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 23:38
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Sorry again chaps Aldershot win
no surprises there then home win for me

Stewsydney
Stewsydney (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 00:33
I dont think we will win , draw or away win for me , i think aldershot will be the ones to avoid jn playoffs over 2 legs as not many teams do well there

iagoapcen
iagoapcen (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 06:44
if the atmosphere is anything like Tuesday, and if they've sorted central midfield out, then we'll win 3-1 :-) and lincoln to lose next two games

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 08:47
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
Hardly Irons
No excuse, bring them along :-)

I've been thinking about it, but is there anywhere for a 9 week old that would be safe? Was even contemplating getting a box if they were indoor!

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 09:56
C'mon the Rovers!..C'mon you Gulls!

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 10:09
[quote Hardly Irons][quote Cybertron][quote Hardly Irons]2-1 i reckon. Can't make it tomorrow because of baby duty, Wirral Radio ready.[/quote]No excuse, bring them along :-)[/quote]

I've been thinking about it, but is there anywhere for a 9 week old that would be safe? Was even contemplating getting a box if they were indoor![/quo

Put the baby in the back of the Aldershot net if Tuesday's game was anything to go on,but if it's like last Saturday's put a hard hat on the baby (Sm138)

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 10:10
Is it a 3pm kick off, will be watching abroad and trying to work out time zones

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2017 10:12
Quote:
Higgosboots

Where are you higgo?

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 10:16
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Higgosboots

Where are you higgo?

Ireland

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 10:34
Today's Ref Peter Wright has taken charge of 14 game's in our league this season and has issued 43 yellow and 1 red in those 14 game's that's over Three card's per game ,today's game could be a stop and start game with the Ref letting the crowd and the TV viewers that he's in charge and he's the 🌟 star or the biggest clown again.

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 12:27
Ok a televised game, I am working in Dundee today as we don't get the bank holiday off here but I will be going to the pub to watch this one. I predict a 2 0 scoreline to us as we really did not deserve to get beat by FGR, if we create more chnces today I am sure a few will go in cmon rovers

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 13:03
Aus

goosed
goosed (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 15:46
Fookin second goal there for aldershot wot the @#$%& is our defence doin he had all the time in the world to score fookin@#$%&tranmere

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2017 15:49
very interesting first half.. very impressed with the shots frontline, their movement and touches are causing us a lot of problems. Benyu and Mensah look very good and McClure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2017 16:00 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2017 15:58
Half time 2-2.. the 2 meanest defences in the division??

goosed
goosed (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 16:34
Wots with cook not playing ????

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2017 16:39
cmon rovers last 15 mins,, Lincoln losing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2017 16:42 by hong kong rover.

goosed
goosed (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 16:50
Tranmere are useless we just arnt good enough end of

Import
Import (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 17:22
Quote:
hong kong rover

2-1 to the Imps@ FT

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2017 17:32
Quote:
Import
Quote:
hong kong rover

2-1 to the Imps@ FT

fair play to Cowley. he has won the national league for you. without him where would u have been? for quite a few seasons you have been a mediocre mid table conference side going nowhere. now you've got to try and keep hold of him and that will be very tough.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2017 17:35 by hong kong rover.

Import
Import (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 17:51
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Import
Quote:
hong kong rover

2-1 to the Imps@ FT

fair play to Cowley. he has won the national league for you. without him where would u have been? for quite a few seasons you have been a mediocre mid table conference side going nowhere. now you've got to try and keep hold of him and that will be very tough.

Is it not about the ambition of the Imps board to out bid many clubs for the Cowley's services. Including TRFC.

Team Spirit
Team Spirit (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 17:57
Quote:
Import
Is it not about the ambition of the Imps board to out bid many clubs for the Cowley's services. Including TRFC.

We had a a Manager and I didn't hear any rumours we looked to get shut in the summer much as plenty would have happily seen Gary Brabin go then, so I'm not too sure you outbid us.

We're quite happy with Micky Mellon thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2017 17:57 by Team Spirit.

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 18:30
Quote:
goosed
Tranmere are useless we just arnt good enough end of

When you say 'end of' does that mean you think your opinion is final, definitive and the views of anyone else should be dismissed out of hand. How arrogant is that. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I for one, and I suspect many others would strongly disagree with you. Just because you choose to use the phrase 'end of' don't assume that your opinion is validated or in any way authoritative or infallible.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 18:31
We looked tired second half. It was not lack of effort but we were just a fraction late to the 50/50 balls.Some of this reflected the loss of the engine Harris offers and Maynard was a little rusty.Staring Cook on Monday may bea way of resting Norwood who has put so much into recent games.
The big worry for me is Hughes who looks increasingly laboured and who disappeared from the game in the last 30 minutes.
I wasn't particularly impressed by Souza.If Dunn is fit he could offer more

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 18:36
I know Maynard was coming back after a while off but the only time he found a white shirt today was when it was hanging on his peg in the dressing-room.

The team still played quite well but that Mensah and McClure and Benyu had our defence guessing far too often for comfort.

I still think that dropping Jennings back into midfield and bringing Sousa on for Maynard would have been the option for the last 10, maybe earlier, with Norwood on the left and Cook in the middle. We had some joy down the right flank and with Buxton backing up Vaughan and Sousa thought we could have exploited that more.

Oh well, so it's the play-offs and just checked the table on the beeb site and Aldershot got leapfrogged by Dover...

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2017 18:38
Quote:
Yiggsy
I know Maynard was coming back after a while off but the only time he found a white shirt today was when it was hanging on his peg in the dressing-room.
The team still played quite well but that Mensah and McClure and Benyu had our defence guessing far too often for comfort.

I still think that dropping Jennings back into midfield and bringing Sousa on for Maynard would have been the option for the last 10, maybe earlier, with Norwood on the left and Cook in the middle. We had some joy down the right flank and with Buxton backing up Vaughan and Sousa thought we could have exploited that more.

Oh well, so it's the play-offs and just checked the table on the beeb site and Aldershot got leapfrogged by Dover...

aldershot v dover on easter monday

SmartRover
SmartRover (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 18:41
Fair play to Aldershot, their front line was a breath of fresh air, No. 20 was head & shoulders best player on the pitch, our defence looked rocky every time their front line run off and between them, you can see why they've been on a run that has propelled them into the frame for a play off place. We faded again second half and players looked jaded, funny when fans are screaming for Maynard to get a start when he clearly wasn't match fit and off the pace. Miserable weather throughout the game, from the JK thought the Ref had a really good game, it's all about opinions don't forget ! Expect them to get the last play off place but whether we can hold on to 2nd place is another matter. Most fans around me thought that they were the best team to visit PP this season, don't think many can argue with that.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 18:51
A decent enough performance but,both goals down to sloppy defending.

Impressed with Aldershot especially their front three probably one of the best in the division however, all their efforts may ultimately be in vain as Dover are a point ahead with a game in hand.

Agree team looked tired second half but,the conditions didn't help. I thought Maynard played well considering his first game back apart from the final ball or lack of it!!!

Connor Jennings improving game by game

Noticed goosed posting again, quite frankly cannot take anything he says seriously but, everyone is entitled to their opinion even if we don't agree.

Mikeymoo
Mikeymoo (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 18:59
Where would any team be without its manager? Thats right last year we were also rans, this year we are looking like and playing like champions. We are not on our game currently, but still winning and fighting everything, thats the difference this year and the manager isn't playing.

Heres hoping you don't suffer the indignity of being close runners up and falling out of the play-offs, I really hate that idea for any runner up, if thats how it ends.

I'm fairly certain there is concern at the FA that either Morecombe or Coventry are at high risk of folding in their perilous states, maybe theres room for 3 going up?

Good luck, this season has been great for "division 5" it really is getting taken seriously at last, shame nobody told the officals that though.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:19
Just hope they don't make the playoffs, trouble with us today gave the ball away too easy and both Aldershot goals came out of poor defending.

Aldershot first their player basically walked past three of our defenders who all failed to deal with one player who did his job well taking advantage of poor defending. Second goal a gift poor defending again with a headed ball right in front of their player who picked the ball up,thanks for the gift thumped the ball back of the net. Instead of weak headed ball a good old-fashioned Goodison double scissor kick row Z any where but not headed down in front of the opposition.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:22
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
Noticed goosed posting again, quite frankly cannot take anything he says seriously but, everyone is entitled to their opinion even if we don't agree.

He only ever posts after a few poor(ish) results. Once we win another he will disappear again.

Tough to take but the league is Lincoln's. In some ways it is better to have this sorted now than to get close and lose out on the last day. Secure second place on be firing on all cylinders for the play offs is the order of the day now.

Team Spirit
Team Spirit (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:44
Fair play to Lincoln, they've had that extra bit of steel as today's result demonstrates, but we've come on leaps and bounds under MM, especially since the FAT Semi defeat and I'm optimistic about the play offs or should we lose that lottery, next season if we are still in this league.

Thought Aldershot were the best team we've faced here this season and their No.20 deserves special mention, not just for his performance but also for being quick to grab hold of Nors after that pathetic challenge from behind.

Lets win these last three and go into the PO on a high.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:51
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j321/pdon1/The%20fat%20Lady%20Singing-8x6-1_1.jpg

Well, thats that then.................

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:52
I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed todays game,especially the cracking first half.Aldershot were very good going forward and as good as any team I've seen us play at PP this season.Their number 20 [Benyu?] was the best player on the pitch and the number 11 [Mensah?]was excellent too. Their defence looked suspect but we didn't pressurise them enough overall. Our defenders too were much dodgier than normal and very vulnerable to their fast on the ground[in the first half particularly]moves.

Lincoln are looking uncatchable but we need to keep ahead of Forest Green[who were nowhere near as impressive as Aldershot]and finish second[assuming there's no late collapse from the Imps] .

I think if we rest anybody it should be Hughes whose level of performance has dropped significantly recently.I think Ridehalgh should take the corners and freekicks where a left footed player is required.Hughes floats the ball too much.

Maynard showed that he has not played for ages but improved in the second half

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 19:54
Quote:
Higgosboots
Aus

Enjoy your trip? Where are you staying?

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 20:02
Unlike our game with FGR , I don't think we deserved a win today . Thought Aldershot were by far they best footballing side to come to PP this season . Saying that , I don't think we played to our potential . Too many wayward passes ( especially Hughes ) , too slow to second balls , reverted to long balls from Ihiekwe in the hope Norwood ( How many times does he get caught offside ?) Or Cook would run onto them ( admittedly the wet surface didn't help quick one touch football ) . The problem with playing wingbacks is that they also have to get back when play breaks down and we were caught out today with the pace of their forwards . Their second was struck we'll but he had all the time in the world to pick his spot . As the glass is always half full , we drew with a good footballing side without playing to our potential , so realistically the top spot MAY have gone , but I wouldn't fear anyone in play offs knowing what we are capable of . Let's see what the last games bring .

14 April, 2017 20:27
Quote:
Hoots Mon
I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed todays game,especially the cracking first half.Aldershot were very good going forward and as good as any team I've seen us play at PP this season.Their number 20 [Benyu?] was the best player on the pitch and the number 11 [Mensah?]was excellent too. Their defence looked suspect but we didn't pressurise them enough overall. Our defenders too were much dodgier than normal and very vulnerable to their fast on the ground[in the first half particularly]moves.
Lincoln are looking uncatchable but we need to keep ahead of Forest Green[who were nowhere near as impressive as Aldershot]and finish second[assuming there's no late collapse from the Imps] .

I think if we rest anybody it should be Hughes whose level of performance has dropped significantly recently.I think Ridehalgh should take the corners and freekicks where a left footed player is required.Hughes floats the ball too much.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Hughes has gone off the boil. He is useless at free kicks and corners. Play offs it is and we will be in the league next season.

Briantrfc
Briantrfc (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 20:37
I personally cant help but feel sorry for cook, its like MM is wanting to take all confidence from the lad. He dropped him when he was banging them in for fun for us. Ive been a rovers fan for 15+ years and its going to pain me to say this but i hope he gets a club where the backroom staff and fans are going to apriciate him he deserves that at least. But we all need to thank him for what he has done for us this season, without his we would be mid table and the thanks he gets is being chucked on the bench, i know he has another year on his contract but i can see a league team coming in for him this summer. There has to be an underlining issue that mellon has with him because why on earth would you leave a 22 goal scorer on the bench. Just bizzare

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Match 42 discussion o: Aldershot (H)
14 April, 2017 20:50
Enjoyed the game today .Aldershot the best visitors to PP for quite a while we were ok today but give the ball away far to often and committed to many fouls. 1 pt from 6at home in a matter of days simply not good enough .well done to Lincoln really deserved to be champions so please guys no more of this garbage of all is not lost .it really is now. has been for awhile .they have a bit more steel about them. we are a decent side but no better than the other playoff hopefuls we are all good in different ways .after today I am sticking with Aldershot to go up .very impressed with them .we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot .the playoffs will be lost at home and our record is not good against the top sides.and not to mention the dreaded penalties

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 21:19
Agreed, they were fantastic. So would prefer Dover in the playoffs rather than them
Dover too looked good - big but slim + Paine.
It aint going to be easy.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Match 42 discussion o: Aldershot (H)
14 April, 2017 21:32
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Enjoyed the game today .Aldershot the best visitors to PP for quite a while we were ok today but give the ball away far to often and committed to many fouls. 1 pt from 6at home in a matter of days simply not good enough .well done to Lincoln really deserved to be champions so please guys no more of this garbage of all is not lost .it really is now. has been for awhile .they have a bit more steel about them. we are a decent side but no better than the other playoff hopefuls we are all good in different ways .after today I am sticking with Aldershot to go up .very impressed with them .we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot .the playoffs will be lost at home and our record is not good against the top sides.and not to mention the dreaded penalties

I enjoyed reading your first 14 or 15 words.Then back to normal.

''All is not lost.It really is now'' Exactly how do you work that out?

After the game finished I said to those in their dug-out''we'll probably see you again in a couple of weeks''. They surprisingly didn't appear very confident that this would happen-big game for them against Dover on Monday.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 22:27
Quote:
steve mungalls Highlights
Quote:
Hoots Mon

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Hughes has gone off the boil. He is useless at free kicks and corners. Play offs it is and we will be in the league next season.
Agree with both of you

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 22:30
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Agreed, they were fantastic. So would prefer Dover in the playoffs rather than them
Dover too looked good - big but slim + Paine.
It aint going to be easy.

Harder to avoid finishing in the playoffs now, but Lincoln could still mess things up, so top spot is not completely out of reach, but if Tranmere end up in the playoffs, then any opponent represents a problem, so you just have to play the cards you're deal.

I still feel Tranmere have enough to get promoted if they end up in the playoffs.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

omd white
OMD WHITE (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 22:54
Quote:
BELMONT
Today's Ref Peter Wright has taken charge of 14 game's in our league this season and has issued 43 yellow and 1 red in those 14 game's that's over Three card's per game ,today's game could be a stop and start game with the Ref letting the crowd and the TV viewers that he's in charge and he's the 🌟 star or the biggest clown again.
Looks like you was Wright about the ref today and his brother was here on Tuesday.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 22:55
I thought it was a good game, in the first half particularly their front line were very dangerous, seemed less effective in the second half. The players did show some signs of fatigue, not too surprising given the recent run of games. Maynard looked like a player that hadn't played for a while but was better the longer the game went along.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 22:59
Quote:
OMD WHITE
Quote:
BELMONT
Looks like you was Wright about the ref today and his brother was here on Tuesday.

His brother was worse than him

omd white
OMD WHITE (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 23:05
Quote:
Briantrfc
I personally cant help but feel sorry for cook, its like MM is wanting to take all confidence from the lad. He dropped him when he was banging them in for fun for us. Ive been a rovers fan for 15+ years and its going to pain me to say this but i hope he gets a club where the backroom staff and fans are going to apriciate him he deserves that at least. But we all need to thank him for what he has done for us this season, without his we would be mid table and the thanks he gets is being chucked on the bench, i know he has another year on his contract but i can see a league team coming in for him this summer. There has to be an underlining issue that mellon has with him because why on earth would you leave a 22 goal scorer on the bench. Just bizzare
As the saying goes no player is bigger than the club also no manager is bigger than the club TRFC come first so what ever the bust up with Mm was with Cook get over it the club comes first not personal spats . You are all employees at the end of the day .

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 23:09
Personally think when Cook plays, we tend to play hoof ball up to him a little too often. Look a little more dynamic when Stockton plays instead.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 23:22
Just not good enough. Can't fault the desire bar first 10 but lack quality in the final 3rd.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 23:24
Quote:
TranmereFan
Personally think when Cook plays, we tend to play hoof ball up to him a little too often. Look a little more dynamic when Stockton plays instead.
+1

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 23:32
Quote:
OMD WHITE
Quote:
Briantrfc
As the saying goes no player is bigger than the club also no manager is bigger than the club TRFC come first so what ever the bust up with Mm was with Cook get over it the club comes first not personal spats . You are all employees at the end of the day .

How do you know that there was a ''bust up''?

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2017 23:59
Not at our best today.We were up against the best footballing side to visit PP this season.If we mess up the playoffs then I hope they go up.Thought their quick, skilful forwards were excellent in the first half. But having praised Aldershot also a big well done to a battling Rovers team.SWA

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 00:20
Quote:
Higgosboots
Just not good enough. Can't fault the desire bar first 10 but lack quality in the final 3rd.
Cole's strike was about a good a strike as you are going too see...no lack of quality there,

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 01:55
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
Higgosboots
Cole's strike was about a good a strike as you are going too see...no lack of quality there,

I was referring to the ability to break down defences and provide service to the forwards. We lack guile and quality in final 3rd.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 11:47
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
Higgosboots

I was referring to the ability to break down defences and provide service to the forwards. We lack guile and quality in final 3rd.

We are only 6 behind Lincoln in goals for. Onside ring we have lost half a team we haven't done too badly.

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

15 April, 2017 22:18
Compare the situation to last season trying to get in the play offs but unsuccesful, this season due to really unfortunate long term injuries we are still in with outside chance of automatic promotion but a garaunteed play off spot. So we have at least that tolook forward to, perhaps take a risk with the team selection nothing to lose. Regarding Stockton he is on fire at the moment seems to be in the right place to score the goals and he seems to be getting better although many defenders seem to want his shirt during the game refs seem to miss this, however cook is also a great striker perhaps stockton is fitter at the moment.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

16 April, 2017 07:28
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
Higgosboots

We are only 6 behind Lincoln in goals for. Onside ring we have lost half a team we haven't done too badly.

I know but it doesn't alter the fact we lack quality, guile or endeavour. I'm sure Micky knows it to hence the recruitment of Tollit, Wallace (albeit it its failed), Dunne,Susa. Brabin knew it to as he said at Sutton game, difference under Mellon is he has the ability to get the most from the players where as Brabin didn't.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net