football
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

EFL news
12 April, 2017 17:47
a few interesting items regarding the EFL..

1. League 1 and 2 clubs to vote next month on whether its worth keeping on with the checkatrade trophy or to scrap the whole competition entirely. apart from the 70,000 turning up at wembley for the final, the rest of the competition this season has been a complete disaster.

2. goal line technology to be used in all matches in the championship as of next season. they will be using goal line technology in this seasons championship play offs. will leagues 1 and 2 get it soon?

3. a report has stated that 4 league clubs are in financial distress and are in real danger of going out of business. the 4 clubs haven't been named but it did state that 3 of them are in league 1 and the other one from league 2. I would think the league 2 club is leyton orient, any ideas on who the three league 1 clubs would be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 18:04 by hong kong rover.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

Re: EFL news
12 April, 2017 18:01
Difficult to say, there are various problems at a few clubs admittedly not all financial.

I would suggest possibly Chesterfield (currently up for sale), Coventry (Well documented fan protest and looking to move out of the Ricoh again !!!) and Port Vale (crowds down, loosing money and current owners seeking new investment)

All the above clubs currently in the relegation zone with only Port Vale having a realistic chance of staying up.

MESSAGES->author

12 April, 2017 18:05
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
Difficult to say, there are various problems at a few clubs admittedly not all financial.
I would suggest possibly Chesterfield (currently up for sale), Coventry (Well documented fan protest and looking to move out of the Ricoh again !!!) and Port Vale (crowds down, loosing money and current owners seeking new investment)

All the above clubs currently in the relegation zone with only Port Vale having a realistic chance of staying up.

thks, I had forgotten about Coventry.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

12 April, 2017 18:05
I'd be guessing vale Chesterfield .how much is that bury guy got don't think he got endless funds .wonder how Rochdale survive 2.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

12 April, 2017 18:40
Quote:
hong kong rover
a few interesting items regarding the EFL..
1. League 1 and 2 clubs to vote next month on whether its worth keeping on with the checkatrade trophy or to scrap the whole competition entirely. apart from the 70,000 turning up at wembley for the final, the rest of the competition this season has been a complete disaster.

2. goal line technology to be used in all matches in the championship as of next season. they will be using goal line technology in this seasons championship play offs. will leagues 1 and 2 get it soon?

3. a report has stated that 4 league clubs are in financial distress and are in real danger of going out of business. the 4 clubs haven't been named but it did state that 3 of them are in league 1 and the other one from league 2. I would think the league 2 club is leyton orient, any ideas on who the three league 1 clubs would be?

Morecambe are not exactly thriving either.

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

12 April, 2017 18:44
Its a few years since teams in League 2 went bust.
I think Aldershot and Maidstone were the last 2.
Rushden and Diamonds, Hereford, Darlington, Newport and Chester went bust after relegation to the Conference.

It would be nice to get promoted back to the league by rights though, not by demise of anybody else

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

12 April, 2017 18:55
I would say Goal line technology and the like is more useful for the lower leagues first instead due to the amount of inept refs and linesmen!

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

12 April, 2017 19:35
Feel sorry for Leyton Orient. They are right next to Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham with the latter cosying up next door to them at the Olympic Stadium.

As football was only invented 25 years ago when the Premier League was born of immaculate conception what chance have they got of sustaining a following?

Also a lot of the local population do not come from traditional football supporting cultures. Maybe that could be an angle for them to explore.

Coventry, who I think got promoted to Division 1 alongside Wolves in 1067 and stuck there, against the odds, like a tenacious pebble-dash on the toilet-pan for years on end is also a sad demise. I don't know the full facts but I get the impression that the devoted, honest and loyal fans who pay their own hard-earned towards the club's upkeep, have suffered a shafting.

Don't know what is going on with Blackpool at the moment but a year or two ago I did consider buying a pair of football boots in the Sale and showing up there on match day to offer my services.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

12 April, 2017 20:01
Quote:
Yiggsy
Feel sorry for Leyton Orient. They are right next to Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham with the latter cosying up next door to them at the Olympic Stadium.
As football was only invented 25 years ago when the Premier League was born of immaculate conception what chance have they got of sustaining a following?

Also a lot of the local population do not come from traditional football supporting cultures. Maybe that could be an angle for them to explore.

Coventry, who I think got promoted to Division 1 alongside Wolves in 1067 and stuck there, against the odds, like a tenacious pebble-dash on the toilet-pan for years on end is also a sad demise. I don't know the full facts but I get the impression that the devoted, honest and loyal fans who pay their own hard-earned towards the club's upkeep, have suffered a shafting.

Don't know what is going on with Blackpool at the moment but a year or two ago I did consider buying a pair of football boots in the Sale and showing up there on match day to offer my services.

LOL. Immaculate conception. I like that.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 13:17
Obviously there are no guarantees but this reminds me how we MUST build a sustainable future. It seems like the Mr and Mrs Pallios are taking the club in the right direction?

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

13 April, 2017 22:36
The right direction is right. You build financial solidarity, which in turn can increase a managers budget, thus allowing for recruitment of more capable players than would otherwise be the case and at NL level, even a budget that's £100,000 a season higher than most other peoples budgets can be a real philip, unlike in league 1 where it means very little these days.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author

17 April, 2017 18:19
zola has resigned as boss of Birmingham. ever since he took over its just been downhill all the way for them and they are now firmly involved in a full on relegation fight and they still have to play away to big city rivals villa. the dumb*ss Chinese owners thought best to sack gary rowett and now look at how sensationally it has backfired. rowetts dismissal was a complete joke..

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 18:30
coventry are not looking to leave the Rioch stadium .staying not an option .it now belongs to the Wasps rugby club and they must leave at the end of next season .it could be a ground share with a near neighbor

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2017 22:34
Quote:
hong kong rover
rowetts dismissal was a complete joke..

A bit like Bignot at Grimsby. He wins 3-1 and Mansfield lose and Grimsby stay 14th and close the gap on Mansfield to 3 points, so why do it then, when realistically winning wouldn't even get him up one league place, why not do it the week before, when the gap was still 6 points between Grimsby and Mansfield?

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author

18 April, 2017 15:58
so 'Arry Redknapp has 3 games to save Brum.. away to villa, home to huddersfield, away to Bristol city.. wont be easy.. I hope they go down, not for the fans but for the Chinese owners and the way they sacked rowett.. I am sick to death of seeing a lot of our clubs with so much tradition and a history n heritage that goes way back over a century being run and ruined in no time at all by idiots that just possess money but nothing else whatsoever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net