football
Latest News:
register rules help contact Image Map
 

smithy43
smithy43 (IP Logged)

Play Offs
12 April, 2017 00:34
Seen a lot of posts saying they would be happy to play FGR in the playoffs on the basis of todays performance. However as far as I know their 2 best players - Noble and Marsh-Brown were both carrying knocks so couldn't play today. If a sub-strength FGR can beat us now I do have my reservations about beating them when they have a fully fit squad in the play offs, especially with Harris out now.
Either way if were still in this joke of a league next year but manage to keep the big guns, theres no reason why we cant finish 1st then.

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 00:36
I have my reservations about beating anyone in the playoffs. Macclesfield being one example plus our record against top sides.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 00:46
If we play FGR in the playoffs,I would be very surprised if we lost to them again based on tonights performance.Marsh-Brown has apparently been frozen out by their manager so may not play for them again.

 
andygster
andygster (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 02:11
Am I right in thinking that we haven't beaten any of the top five teams? Even if some of those performances were good, we still came up short in the statistic that matters:

Lincoln - lost both
FGR - drew one lost one
D&R - drew one lost one
Aldershot - lost one

Strange that we are easily in second place given that record -also sets aside the myth from some that we struggle against lesser sides - the 85 points has come from fantastic consistency against side outside the top 7.

One positive heading into the playoffs is that because we haven't beaten any of those sides, at least there won't be any overconfidence or getting caught off guard - maybe that will actually work in our favor since we know our general performance level is easily better than those teams when we really work for it - just got to take those clear cut chances by the sounds of it!

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 09:59
Quote:
andygster
Am I right in thinking that we haven't beaten any of the top five teams? Even if some of those performances were good, we still came up short in the statistic that matters:
Lincoln - lost both
FGR - drew one lost one
D&R - drew one lost one
Aldershot - lost one

Strange that we are easily in second place given that record -also sets aside the myth from some that we struggle against lesser sides - the 85 points has come from fantastic consistency against side outside the top 7.

One positive heading into the playoffs is that because we haven't beaten any of those sides, at least there won't be any overconfidence or getting caught off guard - maybe that will actually work in our favor since we know our general performance level is easily better than those teams when we really work for it - just got to take those clear cut chances by the sounds of it!

We've beaten Dover twice and there is a good chance that they could end up fifth.

 
MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 10:01
Quote:
Hoots Mon
If we play FGR in the playoffs,I would be very surprised if we lost to them again based on tonights performance.Marsh-Brown has apparently been frozen out by their manager so may not play for them again.

Perhaps in the play offs and a Wembley appreance these frozen player's may suddenly reappear in the fold, I just don't fancy playing that so called football club and their tactics in the semi's.

If we have to play them let it be in the final at Wembley with a decent Ref of a higher standard than that man last night and many of the other so called Ref's in this Pub League.

 
Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 10:53
As I said we will not win the play offs and it will be lost on the home leg and if it comes to penalties we are well out of it .i fancy Aldershot to win the play offs I have said this for 6 months and not changing my mind ,injuries have really cost us and the host of missed chances .how many times have we heard the comment we should have been 2/3 goals up at half time .8missed penalties it all adds up to dropped points .and I fancy Aldershot to win on Friday we will win at Guisley and beat southport and draw at Maidstone

 
pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 11:31
The performance on Friday should give us a fair indication of how well we'll do in the play offs.

Aldershot could well finish in the top 5 and we have seen FGR last night.

Macclesfield have shown also how difficult they could be over 2 legs.

Not going to be easy whoever we end up playing, then there's the final at Wembley. Big stage, Big Game, Big Prize.

Will we bottle it?

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 11:43
Just when I thought it couldn't get worse we have to listen to that dear old negative and fickle fan .the 50 yearSamoaner.

 
efc0trfc3
efc0trfc3 (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 11:45
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
As I said we will not win the play offs and it will be lost on the home leg and if it comes to penalties we are well out of it .i fancy Aldershot to win the play offs I have said this for 6 months and not changing my mind ,injuries have really cost us and the host of missed chances .how many times have we heard the comment we should have been 2/3 goals up at half time .8missed penalties it all adds up to dropped points .and I fancy Aldershot to win on Friday we will win at Guisley and beat southport and draw at Maidstone
Any chance you can tell me the lotto numbers for Saturday?!

 
Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 11:46
Since we are play-off bound with 4 games remaining, worth Micky looking at different formations.
Cook-Cole partnership for one. Maynard instead of Hughes another, and also trying to see if Collins can fit in.

 
pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 11:50
Please show some respect to other users!

It's a forum and as such, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

I respect the views of everyone on here. We all see things differently in matches and we all have our favourite players.

You will always get conflicting posts, but let's not resort to name calling

 
coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 11:55
I don't really think that people object to anyone expressing their views. It can be irritating though when people try to portray negative opinions as facts.

 
pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 12:05
We have 4 to play, let's hope it's 4 wins and see what Lincoln do.

We do need to be more clinical though. If half of the chances went in, we'd be Champions already.

Were a good side, just not taking our chances.

 
chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 12:20
It will be interesting to see if Mickey persists with Wallace, I was listening on Wirral radio so hard for me to judge perhaps we need more energy lets get sousa on the pitch as he looked really good strong and powerful on the ball when watching the 9 goal thriller on utube, I think some sort of change is now needed, I am hoping Mickey has a plan

 
smithy43
smithy43 (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 12:41
If Maynard is fit then he has to go straight into that 11. Only midfielder left with a bit of bite, Wallace and Hughes far too pedestrian to impact the game. Might be worth resting players like vaughan and rides and jennings, cant afford to pick up any more injuries for the play offs

 
MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 12:48
Quote:
smithy43
If Maynard is fit then he has to go straight into that 11. Only midfielder left with a bit of bite, Wallace and Hughes far too pedestrian to impact the game. Might be worth resting players like vaughan and rides and jennings, cant afford to pick up any more injuries for the play offs

+1 Maynard

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 12:53
As Coltrane says Yeh that's right .others have opinions I respect. But iv got tranmere in my blood and my heart and soul and 2000 games later still get riled by criticisms. Sorry for any offence.

 
Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 13:06
If it is the Play Offs you would think we had already lost with the amount of negativity.

Yes our record is poor against the top sides but, with the exception of a very poor performance against D&R at home all the other games have been very tight.

Aldershot Away 3-1 in the game for 70 to 80 minutes until two late goals.

D&R Away 0-0, played most of the second half with 10 men should have won with Cooky's last minute opportunity.

Lincoln Home 0-1, very tight game little creativity one rare chance taken by Lincoln.

FGR Away 2-2, another game we should have won.

Lincoln Away 2-1, shouldn't have lost this game a rare Scotty Davies mistake however, fortunate penalty to us almost an embarrassment to score.

D&R Home 0-2, probably our worst performance at home this season enough said.

FGR Home 0-1, still cannot believe we lost

Aldershot Home ?

The final team in contention Dover, we have beaten Home and Away (4-1 and 1-0)

Like most fans the preferred route back to the FL is as Champions but, at the moment, that is unlikely. If it is the Play Offs and we make the Final I fancy us against anyone.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 15:59 by Jack of all Trades.

 
Mighty White
Mighty White (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 13:55
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Since we are play-off bound with 4 games remaining, worth Micky looking at different formations.
Cook-Cole partnership for one. Maynard instead of Hughes another, and also trying to see if Collins can fit in.

Hold on, we still have a chance of winning the league. We should be striving to win all of our remaining games and hope Lincoln slip up.

"WHERE THERE IS FAITH THERE IS LIGHT AND STRENGTH"

 
Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 14:21
Quote:
Mighty White
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Since we are play-off bound with 4 games remaining, worth Micky looking at different formations.
Cook-Cole partnership for one. Maynard instead of Hughes another, and also trying to see if Collins can fit in.

Hold on, we still have a chance of winning the league. We should be striving to win all of our remaining games and hope Lincoln slip up.

"WHERE THERE IS FAITH THERE IS LIGHT AND STRENGTH"

For that we need to win handsomely on Friday - by 3 or 4 goals and hope Lincoln lose against a battling Torquay side.
Then hope Gateshead, Macclesfield or Maidstone beat them too and we win our last 3 games.

Yes its still on I suppose, but not with Hughes and Norwood.

 
luckyseven
luckyseven (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 15:08
Does anyone know the dates of the semi's, if we were involved? Have they been announced yet?

 
acc928
acc928 (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 15:12
Quote:
luckyseven
Does anyone know the dates of the semi's, if we were involved? Have they been announced yet?

From the National League website

Semi Finals

Wednesday 3rd May - 1st leg: 5th place vs 2nd place - Kick Off 7.00pm

Thursday 4th May - 1st leg: 4th place v 3rd place - Kick Off 7.00pm

Saturday 6th May - 2nd leg: 2nd place vs 5th place - Kick Off 12.15pm

Sunday 7th May - 2nd leg: 3rd place v 4th place - Kick Off 3.00pm

Promotion Final

Sunday 14th May 2017 Wembley Stadium Kick Off 3.00pm

 
pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 16:12
Hoping for a Play Off Final Win, then glorious sunshine on 19th to celebrate in style at Prenton Park with the legendary Madness!

May could well be a memorable month in Tranmere's long history

 
smithy43
smithy43 (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 17:02
Looking at it on reflection, the max we can finish on is 97 points.
For us to go up, Lincoln need 9 points or fewer and we must win every game and claw back the GD (again).
Lincoln could easily get just 1 point against Torquay, a side in need of points and Lincoln have shown signs of being complacent in the past
We beat Aldershot then its game on for the Heed for the playoffs, that could be a game Lincoln lose on Monday
The same with Macc Town; not a bad outfit so again a draw is plausible
Maidstone's home form and the plastic pitch means no guaranteed win also (I know we have to go there)
Fully expect them to trounce Southport, the same as us.

Admittedly Lincoln will probably win at least 2, but 3 draws are easily possible
Not sure if this is just wishful thinking, but it aint over just yet. Their main striker Angol is out injured and their centre mid is on a 3 game ban, so don't give up just yet whites. SWA

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 17:10
Quote:
smithy43
Looking at it on reflection, the max we can finish on is 97 points.
For us to go up, Lincoln need 9 points or fewer and we must win every game and claw back the GD (again).
Lincoln could easily get just 1 point against Torquay, a side in need of points and Lincoln have shown signs of being complacent in the past
We beat Aldershot then its game on for the Heed for the playoffs, that could be a game Lincoln lose on Monday
The same with Macc Town; not a bad outfit so again a draw is plausible
Maidstone's home form and the plastic pitch means no guaranteed win also (I know we have to go there)
Fully expect them to trounce Southport, the same as us.

Admittedly Lincoln will probably win at least 2, but 3 draws are easily possible
Not sure if this is just wishful thinking, but it aint over just yet. Their main striker Angol is out injured and their centre mid is on a 3 game ban, so don't give up just yet whites. SWA

torquay got a decent draw at aldershot last Saturday and are scrapping for survival so who knows , they might get something from the Lincoln game. lets hope so.

 
pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 18:10
Lincoln's superstar loanee Angol limped off last night, but his replacement scored the only goal and match winner.

They are not battering teams and seem to grind out a lot of 1-0 wins.

Torquay have something to play for whereas Chester are safe and have nothing but pride left to play for.

I think Torquay may well make a fist of it and scrap for their lives, hopefully prove a bigger test for Lincoln.

We just need to make our chances count, last night we could well have been 3 up quite comfortably.

 
WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
12 April, 2017 20:42
It seems Rovers play better on dry pitches, that could well favour us at wembley, FGR cannot be allowed to continue using dirty tricks and their physical game in front of any decent refs, their day will come (and the fall will be hard when it does).

 
coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
13 April, 2017 09:02
I fancy Lincoln to lose at Gateshead even though it really would be a major surprise if they failed to finish top. All we can do is try to win every game to maintain the impetus and if it's all over before the final game, perhaps rest some of the players for the game on Maidstone's plastic pitch. We shouldn't give up the fight before its mathematically impossible to finish top. Football is an unpredictable game.

 
MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
13 April, 2017 15:53
[quote WWStandsure]It seems Rovers play better on dry pitches, that could well favour us at wembley, FGR cannot be allowed to continue using dirty tricks and their physical game in front of any decent refs, their day will come (and the fall will be hard when it does).[/quote



If we play better on dry pitches stop watering the damn thing before the start and at half time.]

 
WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 10:34
Re Belmont - personally I do not agree with the watering, bit of a mystery, but the club must have it's reasons. I have nothing to do with the watering. However re the initial comment - Wembley etc, the temperature could be about eight or more degrees warmer - I think that will favour us.

 
DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 11:56
It is a premature concern.I see a greater challenge in coming out best over two legs than I do winning at Wembley regardless of who we play.In either case I hope that the team are really working on pens as there is every chance that one of either the semi or the final will be decided that way

 
MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 13:40
Quote:
Mighty White
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Since we are play-off bound with 4 games remaining, worth Micky looking at different formations.
Cook-Cole partnership for one. Maynard instead of Hughes another, and also trying to see if Collins can fit in.

Hold on, we still have a chance of winning the league. We should be striving to win all of our remaining games and hope Lincoln slip up.

"WHERE THERE IS FAIT


H THERE IS LIGHT AND STRENGTH"

If Lincoln do not lose on Saturday, they are viritually assured of being champions. Sure, miracles do happen but with the superior goal difference...

Still, I am positive about getting to Wembley.

 
Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 15:34
If Lincon don't go up it will be the biggest miracle since that Jesus chap turned a Hovis into 5000 loaves and a bottle of water into 26 pallets of the purest water on a 45ft trailer

 
Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 16:11
Sorry it was wine not water an even bigger miracle 🙄

 
mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 18:51
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Mighty White
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Since we are play-off bound with 4 games remaining, worth Micky looking at different formations.
Cook-Cole partnership for one. Maynard instead of Hughes another, and also trying to see if Collins can fit in.

Hold on, we still have a chance of winning the league. We should be striving to win all of our remaining games and hope Lincoln slip up.

"WHERE THERE IS FAIT


H THERE IS LIGHT AND STRENGTH"

If Lincoln do not lose on Saturday, they are viritually assured of being champions. Sure, miracles do happen but with the superior goal difference...

Still, I am positive about getting to Wembley.

Are the not crowned champions on Saturday if they win, regardless of what we do

 
MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 18:59
Quote:
mini_andy
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Mighty White
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Since we are play-off bound with 4 games remaining, worth Micky looking at different formations.
Cook-Cole partnership for one. Maynard instead of Hughes another, and also trying to see if Collins can fit in.

Hold on, we still have a chance of winning the league. We should be striving to win all of our remaining games and hope Lincoln slip up.

"WHERE THERE IS FAIT


H THERE IS LIGHT AND STRENGTH"

If Lincoln do not lose on Saturday, they are viritually assured of being champions. Sure, miracles do happen but with the superior goal difference...

Still, I am positive about getting to Wembley.

Are the not crowned champions on Saturday if they win, regardless of what we do

Yes

 
Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 19:32
They won't have a superior goal difference if they draw one and lose 2 of the last 3 games, and we put 2 or 3 past Southport.

Not over yet, but since there game on Saturday is a 12.15 kick off we might know if we are still with a shout by the time we kick off 3pm

Forecast; Macclesfield win.

 
Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 20:15
12-15 pm kick off for Lincoln means it on tv .it was either them or us to be televised. Yes they need 2 polenta to be champions

 
mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 20:20
Why are the first leg matches 7pm kickoffs?

 
MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Re: Play Offs
20 April, 2017 22:22
Quote:
mini_andy
Why are the first leg matches 7pm kickoffs?


It might go dark early for some of these team's in this damn Pub League who may be in the play offs there's not much Street lighting round some of the allotments we find the opposition ground nestling amongst.

No don't know why they do this is it TV calling the tune for 7pm kick off's or is it just non league tradition bearing in mind that apart from last season (as it turned out we had nothing to do with them)what time they kick off to us it never mattered.


Sadly since we've found ourselves in this this league we now have to go with these rules such as 7pm kick off's and only five sub's, please Micky get the squad wound up and get us out of this League this season.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?