football
Latest News:
twitter Totally Tranmere Podcast Website facebook register rules help contact Image Map
Next Game: Cambridge Utd (H) - Friday 19th December 2014 at 7.45pm

smaller squad better striker
davenemm (IP Logged)
16 April, 2012 20:08
R.M. has stated we may have a smaller squad but with better strikers. We certainly do need a goal scorer although dont want a depleted squad and then suffer injuries. Who will he be able to keep, who will want to stay and who will arrive.

Re: smaller squad better striker
Deadly Submarine (IP Logged)
16 April, 2012 20:49
Already heard of a couple that will be going but I suspect there will be quite a few more.

Clearly Ronnie is staying then.

Deadly Submarine

Prenton oldpup (IP Logged)
16 April, 2012 21:28
I heard that RM wants to give Goodie another season. Sorry to say this but I think Goodie has been great but we should now look for someone a little younger & a bit more mobile perhaps.

Iaap (IP Logged)
16 April, 2012 21:42
Who have you heard on the way out sub and were have you heard this from?

iaap (IP Logged)
16 April, 2012 21:45
Who have you heard on the way out sub and were have you heard this?

Matthew the rover (IP Logged)
16 April, 2012 22:43
How much smaller does he want to make the squad? We already barely have any strikers as it is, especially once Cassidy and Brunt go, are lacking on the wings and have just three centre-backs!

jade-trfc (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 10:49
On our budget I think you could have 18 players and a couple of younger players that don't take up a lot of the budget such as cole Kirby and healing which would give you 21 players plus loan players so you could still have a 23 man squad which isnt to bad

We also hav options on 4 players I think is
Muzzy
Holmes
Buchs
And I think Devaney not 100percent sure tho so I would i think we should keep Holmes and Buchs and offer mccrystal a new contract but we need to offer ash a new deal to get compo

Ricci (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:57
I am pleased he is looking to address our most pressing isssue, which is scoring goals. However the type of players we need are expensive, so it will be interesting to see who we can attract.

jade-trfc (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:39
Seen John welsh said on radio that he wanted a new contract

MartinDarko (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:42
Id definatley look to keep :

Welsh
Robbo
Holmes
Buchs

and I'd consider :

Devaney
Mcgurk
Mccyrstal

bigmart (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 19:47
Mcchrystal is still under contract for next season.

Matt34 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 21:05
Right now once Brunt, Wallace and Cassidy leave, I'd want to relieve Akins of his position. He has made some useful contributions this season, especially getting 2 in a mtch earlier in the season, but he is not consistent or potent enough for me.

Strikers / Wingers I wouldn't mind coming on free transfer or season long loans right now would be Cassidy, Lateef, Gary Twigg, Baxter, (long shot), Clinton Morrison, John Sutton, (Hearts, a cheap deal based on their I think still uncertain circumstances), Jordan Slew and a.n.others.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

17 April, 2012 21:25
Akins has been one of our better players this season in my opinion. Certainly wouldn't get rid of him.

Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 21:57
Quote:
Matt34
Right now once Brunt, Wallace and Cassidy leave, I'd want to relieve Akins of his position. He has made some useful contributions this season, especially getting 2 in a mtch earlier in the season, but he is not consistent or potent enough for me.
Strikers / Wingers I wouldn't mind coming on free transfer or season long loans right now would be Cassidy, Lateef, Gary Twigg, Baxter, (long shot), Clinton Morrison, John Sutton, (Hearts, a cheap deal based on their I think still uncertain circumstances), Jordan Slew and a.n.others.

Slew was hopeless when we played Stevenage the other week.Lateef hardly set the world on fire when he was here for a month this season. Morrison-how old is he?

jade-trfc (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 22:42
Personally would keep Akins but RM has said in interviews he wants out and out wingers he is clearly a big fan of robbo as well so would assume he will be trying to keep him

Ricci (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 13:09
I think it will be interesting to see what he does with Mcgurk and Devaney. Both can be very good league 1 players in my opinion, but are constantly injured. Can we afford to accomodate injury prone players?

Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 15:37
I would keep McGurk over Devaney.The latter appears to be a very slow healer.

DevonExile (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 18:27
Devaney came with a sick note record and nothing has changed. With a smaller squad we can carry Robinson missing games but not 2 players. I also think that we must replace Goodison

tranmerepete (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 19:22
We are rubbish with out him........

Every ball is a white ball............TRFC

@gony (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 21:09
prepare for big changes ! looking at last line up for the ressies we have an unsustainable squad size, we have to off load a good few ! who could should we hang on to ? so pleased not my call................... Goody ?!?!?! depends on wages, must hang on to keeper ! mid and defence I think will sort it's self ! a 'Goal scorer ?!?!?!!??..... ha if it were that easy eh

Deadly Submarine (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 11:59
Saying we are rubbish without Goodison makes it all the more reason to start looking for a long-term replacement.

He's made a lot more errors this season and his time could soon be up.

Deadly Submarine

19 April, 2012 12:04
Goodison's last two performances have been very, very weak

Prenton oldpup (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 15:03
I would agree with Matt the rover in regards to Goodison.There has been a marked decline in his game this season (getting up for the Ball)but we have not had anyone to replace him
However, Goodison has played a number of games when has been unable to train during the week when carrying over an injury from the previous match,he is almost 40 but has still turned out on more games than both Robinson and Devaney have done, while Ash has played out of his skin in helping to cover for him. It will be quite a task to find a replacement but something I feel we must do before next season.

davenemm (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 15:28
The thing with Goodison is that he has helped bring Ash Taylor into the making of a promising defender so much so dont be surprised if he is sold pre season . Ronnie will bring a central defender in and most likely use McCrystal as first choice with Goodie as back up for injuries.
If Welsh wants a contract with Rovers then yes please, let Weir go along with Kay.

Mikey (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 15:28
He's been poor by his standards but still decent.

He had a few sloppy moments at MK yet he had some moments of brilliance as well, he started the game very well defensively and Ibehre struggled to get past him.

One of the reasons I feel he looked more "exposed" at Walsall was due to Fonners who at times was stuck to his line. Nothing against him though as he also has been a key member of our squad this season.

He easily still has a season left in him IMO. He may no longer be the best defender in the league, or one of, but he's certainly better than average still.

EDIT: He'll also make a great impact striker (Sm6)

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac168/total-tranmere/goodison.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2012 15:40 by Mikey.

jade-trfc (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 15:50
Personally don't think Goodson has been that bad, what has he actually done wrong in the past games. In my opinion one centre back is only as good as the other because if you don't have the partnership or if one centre back is slow his feet you have to blame both etc so a think Goodison deserves another year

bigmart (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 18:27
hes certainly worth another year still a good player.

Matt34 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 18:46
Exactly.

Look at De Zeeuw at Wigan; great with Henchoz, poor without.

The end result is Goodison compliments other people and the "other" can bring out his game at times too.

@gony (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 19:04
anyone remember where Paul Linwood went ?

Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 19:41
He was at Fleetwood-don't know if he's still there.

tranmerepete (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 20:22
We have tried for years to find some one eles. We will find it very hard to replace him.

Every ball is a white ball............TRFC

bigmart (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 20:27
Linwood still there but doesnt play much in first team. Jamie Mcguire also there scoring lots of goals from midfield.

19 April, 2012 20:37
Quote:
bigmart
Linwood still there but doesnt play much in first team. Jamie Mcguire also there scoring lots of goals from midfield.

He would have played more this season but was out for quite a while with a length injury

@gony (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 22:00
thanks ! thought Paul would have gone on after we let him go ! liked watching him allways commanded ! but time will only tell ! think on 26th we will have to l;eat a couple of lads go

mallorcapete (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 08:42
let kay,weir,devaney,tiryaki go.power stockton on a season loan,keep all others maybe cassidy,wallace or baxter season loan,and sign a striker,sounds easy eh?

DevonExile (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 16:03
I agree with all of those but I would add Zoom,Raven, and one of McGurk or Showi (either is adequate as cover but not both). At 40 I just do not see Goodison having a full good season in him.

If we are to half a smaller squad then we cannot afford to carry any player that has not been worthy of a regular place this season. By defintion such players where not good enough to get into a team that for along period was in free fall

Matt34 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 20:10
Mcchrystal would be adequate in place of Goodison, but Goodison will always be really hard to replace.

welsh rover (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 23:45
would give goody another year not playing as main games tho. mccrystal and ash as the main partnership. also raven can play center back. would let devaney go good player but wont play enought games. and must be on one of the better wages. also with a run in the team mcgurk could be a top player in our league. would be great if we could get cassidy on a season loan. personally i would let enoch go must also be on one of the higher wages. and that money could be used to bring in a bettet forward. really hope we keep holmes and buchannan been two of the top performers.

stek26 (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 08:35
We need to keep the majority of the team together,getting rid of 5 to 10 players and bringing in the same amount would disrupt the team spirit too much and put us back to square 1.We'v had this same problem for the past few years.

I'd let kay & tiriyaki go and possibly weir if we can get wallace back for the season,apart from thati'd keepthe rest together.

Devaney,raven,mcgurk may of had there injury problems but when in the team have done well,i think mcgurk could be one of the best players in the league if fully fit for the year and played up front.Goodison is good for another year as back up and for his experience.

People may think am crazy but i think current squad we have now including the loan players could go into next season challenging for a play off spot with ronnie back,with maybe the addition of baxter for the year.

DevonExile (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 10:24
I do not think that you are crazy but just optimistic. Even since the return of RM we have looked poor when key players are missing,which suggests the squad is not good enough. The thread started on the assumption that we will have a smaller squad and that means it is important that there is better quality and better balance. Take Macrystal and Taylor both are solid defenders but both lack the skill to distribute the ball.How often this season where each guilty of clearances that immediately gave the ball away again. These days teams bbuild from the back. also clear that we lack punch up front.Cassidy on loan could be a solution but a relegated Wolves may use him and I suspect he could now get a better club.
Holding on to the same players to form a smaller squad runs the danger of retaining the same problems

Matt34 (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 19:45
The squad I might want to see for the start of next season based on current players.

Zoumana Bakayogo Yes

David Buchanan Yes

Jake Cassidy Yes

Andy Coughlin Yes

John Courtney Yes

Martin Devaney Yes

Owain Fon Williams Yes

Ian Goodison Yes

Danny Holmes Yes

Jake Kirby Yes

Joss Labadie Yes

Mark McChrystal Yes

Adam McGurk Yes

David Raven Yes

Andy Robinson Yes

Enoch Showunmi Yes

Cole Stockton Yes

Ash Taylor Yes

Will Vaulks Yes

James Wallace Yes

John Welsh Yes

Lucas Akins No

Michael Kay No

Ryan Brunt No

Mustafa Tiryaki No

Robbie Weir No

Max Power Yes

Add in 4 new players. 2 strikers, 1 wide midfielder and 1 defensive mid who's interchangable between the middle and back.

Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 20:30
Zoumana Bakayogo Yes

David Buchanan Yes

Jake Cassidy Maybe

Andy Coughlin Yes

John Courtney Don't know

Martin Devaney No

Owain Fon Williams Yes

Ian Goodison Yes

Danny Holmes Yes

Jake Kirby Don't know

Joss Labadie Maybe probably no

Mark McChrystal Yes

Adam McGurk Yes

David Raven Yes

Andy Robinson Yes

Enoch Showunmi No

Cole Stockton Yes

Ash Taylor Yes

Will Vaulks Yes

James Wallace Yes

John Welsh Yes

Lucas Akins No

Michael Kay No

Ryan Brunt No

Mustafa Tiryaki No

Robbie Weir Yes

Max Power Maybe but haven't seen enough of him

Add in at least 4 new players

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2012 20:31 by Hoots Mon.

sincethesummerof69 (IP Logged)
22 April, 2012 16:34
Really dont see why so many rate McGurk, for me he is a nothing player, no great crosser, not a ball winner, never looks like scoring or even getting in a scoring position. Runs around a lot but for me never to any real effect. Labadie and Devaney however can make a real difference when fit but have a feeling they will be gone as well as Weir (no big loss) and Kay (see Weir). Think Danny Holmes will go to a better team as real class lately. Goodo should get another season, maybe not the colossus he once was but still a legend. Robbo, Fon, Welshy and Bucks need to be kept. As for the rest..... not real bothered one way or the other.

Matt34 (IP Logged)
22 April, 2012 20:22
I think McGurk would have done better in a 4-4-2, but when Ronnie started playing it, Mcgurk was injured.

McGurk scored 3 goals in 3 games at one point with a brilliant cross box screamer against Wycombe, but Les never got as much out of him as he could have and the Ronnie period stopped him getting as much game time due to the cheek.

I'd say another season and then decide if it's stay or go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net