Latest News:
twitter Totally Tranmere Podcast Website facebook register rules help contact Image Map
Next Rovers Game: Tuesday 15th April 2014 - Crawley Town v Tranmere Rovers in Sky Bet League One at Broadfield Stadium - Kick Off 7.45pm
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie
Posted by: Welshpool Whites (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2012 21:33

Not what i wanted to hear Burton looking at trying to get Ronnie as there boss, come on Peter get him on a decent contract dont wait until end of season might be to late by then.

Re: Ronnie
Posted by: Deadly Submarine (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2012 22:11

Still can't say I'm overkeen on Moore getting the job again beyond his temporary stint.

Maybe Rotherham will come sniffing as well now haha!

Deadly Submarine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2012 22:12 by Deadly Submarine.

Posted by: Mikey (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2012 22:13

Can't fault him so far though.

8 pts out of 12 (75%!)
Unbeaten
Come from behind to win a game for first time since December 2008 (177 games)
Come from behind to nick a point, away from home against 2nd in the league.

Given the form we were in prior to his arrival it's been a pretty impressive turnaround by all means.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac168/total-tranmere/goodison.jpg

Posted by: bigmart (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2012 22:18

Its a joy going to the game at the moment long may it continue.

Date: 19 March, 2012 22:18

Can't argue with that but doesn't mean he's necessarily right long-term.

Look at how Les improved on Barnes's form and then what happened. We need to get this spot on in the summer whatever that results in!

Deadly Submarine

Date: 19 March, 2012 22:42

Of course their will be better managers than RM available. Billy Davies and Ned Kelly would be class but its never going to happen with our finances.

I'd rather we took Ronnie on than gambled on another Barnes/Watson/Les etc!

Posted by: @gony (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2012 23:27

so, how long would you give /RM ?

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 00:08

Quote:
Deadly Submarine
Still can't say I'm overkeen on Moore getting the job again beyond his temporary stint.
Maybe Rotherham will come sniffing as well now haha!

Totally agree.I can put up with him till the end of the season but beyond that definitely NO thank you.

Date: 20 March, 2012 06:01

Don't get me wrong on this I won't be busting a gut to complain if we do give it to him but as far as I'm concerned this is currently a temporary position and as a Club we still have a managerial vacancy to fill in the summer which we need to think long and hard over and get it right that's all!

Deadly Submarine

Posted by: jade-trfc (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 08:15

can i ask deadly what your problem is with ronnie?

just that on his last spell here i think the lowest he finished was 12 and no other manager since him has been able to beat what he has done since he left.

he has came in again after being sacked the players have become more happier and even a couple are wanting to sign new contracts for next season.

some people will call it the honeymoon perieod but think alot of people no its RM influence on the players and the fact he is willing to play 442.

just i feel he should get a year to year deal just like les because rm is a great manager at this level

Posted by: SprayItAboutLikeJimHarvey (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 08:44

Don't know if anyone's seen this article but it's worth a read. Ronnie is a "special one"!

[www.ft.com]

Personally, I think that Ronnie is the best choice of manager for the club. Having him back has made me realise how gutted I was when he first got sacked. Les has got a lot of plaudits for his building of a decent squad on a small budget but at the end of his last season I think that a lot of people felt that Ronnie had built a squad that was capable of getting promotion. In my opinion we've had three wasted years and the sooner we get him back on a long term contract the better.

Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 09:23

I'd love to see Ronnie stay but bring in David Kelly as his Number 2.

David Kelly was good when he was here, and I seem to recall after he left our form dipped quite a bit?

He has plenty of experience and if he could get our strikers scoring regularly it would be a good call.

Ronnie seems to have steadied the ship and has installed a bit of self belief in the playing staff.

He is Tranmere Rovers through and through and knows this league well.

We could go for an ex premiership manager but that would cost dearly and as was the case with Brian Little, it doesn't always guarantee success.

Instead of trying to sign a big name manager, use the money saved to buy a big name striker!

If were being honest, he shouldn't have been sacked last time, so why not give him a 2 year contract and see where we end up?

I know the Trust may have their own ideas about how to take this club forward, and they may even have potential targets for the managers job, however , for the immediate future I think Ronnie is doing a great job of salvaging what looked like a disastrous season only a month ago.

Can't see why we would want to give the job to someone else t.b.h?

Date: 20 March, 2012 10:02

Quote:
jade-trfc
just that on his last spell here i think the lowest he finished was 12 and no other manager since him has been able to beat what he has done since he left.

he has came in again after being sacked the players have become more happier and even a couple are wanting to sign new contracts for next season.

some people will call it the honeymoon perieod but think alot of people no its RM influence on the players and the fact he is willing to play 442.

just i feel he should get a year to year deal just like les because rm is a great manager at this level

There's only been Barnes and Parry since he left-hardly decent comparisons.All Moore has done so far is check and reverse our headlong dive to what would have been certain relegation-we've had just 4 games since he returned.Changes in managers often improve clubs' fortunes for a short while.Let's see what happens in the other 9 games before a decision is reached.

Date: 20 March, 2012 10:16

Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
jade-trfc

There's only been Barnes and Parry since he left-hardly decent comparisons.All Moore has done so far is check and reverse our headlong dive to what would have been certain relegation-we've had just 4 games since he returned.Changes in managers often improve clubs' fortunes for a short while.Let's see what happens in the other 9 games before a decision is reached.

Harsh words, but true!

Still maintain that big names guarantee nothing and are a drain on limited resources.

Let's get behind him for now and see where we end up come May?

Posted by: Lobby Ludd (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 10:58

The feelgood factor is back; something that has been missing for a long time. Should never have been sacked in the first place. Unless a Euro lottery winning fan buys the club investment is going to be minimal for the forseeable future. We are a struggling first division club with little hope of promotion but significant fear of relegation. Ronnie gives us the best chance of survival and maybe a faint hope of promotion.

Date: 20 March, 2012 12:18

Unlike a lot of fans I backed Ronnie right throughout his last spell in charge even when many morons wanted him out (as they do with most Managers it seems).

I was also surprised and disappointed that he left so as such I don't have a 'problem' with Ronnie.

My point which seems to be getting missed, is that we have the chance to take a step back, assess where we are and bring in the right man for the job which I'm saying isn't necessarily (but who knows ulimately might be) Ronnie.

Deadly Submarine

Date: 20 March, 2012 13:10

Quote:
Deadly Submarine
Unlike a lot of fans I backed Ronnie right throughout his last spell in charge even when many morons wanted him out (as they do with most Managers it seems).
I was also surprised and disappointed that he left so as such I don't have a 'problem' with Ronnie.

My point which seems to be getting missed, is that we have the chance to take a step back, assess where we are and bring in the right man for the job which I'm saying isn't necessarily (but who knows ulimately might be) Ronnie.

It's a valid point you make,however,the club's priority is League One Status and maybe they will take stock during the Summer Break?

Can't deny he's doing a good job though?

If he does go at the end of the season then we have got about 8 weeks to get a better manager, sign new players to replace the out of contract players who want to leave, then theres the dreaded player poaching that goes on.

Could be an interesting summer, but we don't have much time to rebuild tbh

Date: 20 March, 2012 13:31

Quote:
Deadly Submarine

I would like to have a young intelligent progressive person with go ahead ideas in the mould of Eddie Howe when he got the Bournemouth job-a person who can take us forward not sideways or downwards.
This is a message board where people usually give their honest opinions-if they don't agree with mine,I don't consider them morons unless they are grossly insulting or abusive.

Date: 20 March, 2012 13:40

[quote Hoots Mon][quote Deadly Submarine]This is a message board where people usually give their honest opinions-if they don't agree with mine,I don't consider them morons unless they are grossly insulting or abusive.[/quote]

Some of them at the time were extremely abusive to be fair and I wasn't just referring to Message Boards I was talking generally!

Agree about your Eddie Howe mould comments.

Deadly Submarine

Posted by: Ricci (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 14:21

It seems the major problem the Rotherham fans had with Ronnie duuring his last stint there was the poor football, even though results were not too bad.

It is difficult to compare our dootball now with how were playing under Les, because it literally could not get any worse.

I am am completely undecided if I want Ronnie to continue. For now I am enjoying the games again, and just hope we carry on with this good spell, and ensure league 1 football for next season.

Date: 20 March, 2012 14:45

Personally I'd like to think (but knowing Tranmere it won't be happening) that we are talking to managers available NOW.

Then come Monday May 7th, if their is no one better than RM or no one better we can afford, we are in a position to say, it's yours if you want it, to RM.

If we can get a new manager in on May 7th gives them time to plan for next season, if we mess around waiting 3/4 weeks we're gonna be behind other clubs and miss out on good players.

We need to be planning now for it. I'd agree about having a look at who else is available but I think/expect and would be happy for it to go to RM if he keeps us up. PJ will see this as an achievement, a fans favourite etc and as I said earlier, he's a good manager and less risk like Barnes was!

Date: 20 March, 2012 15:00

Agreed Mikey!

Deadly Submarine

Posted by: ste24yearsafan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 16:08

Totally agree with Mikey. I (as most people already know) would not like to see Ronnie in the job longer term

Posted by: LocalHero (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 16:27

With the financial situation we are currently in, can we really afford to be taking risks on the likes of Ned Kelly or Jimmy Harvey? I (like most people) loved Kelly when he was here as a player, but with no managerial experience more than assistant, how do we know he'd be a success? Could end up in another relegation battle in which either PJ has to fork out more money getting someone else in to secure league 1 survival, or we go down.

I think until the trust (or someone else) takeover happens, which could be a while pending the sale of Ingelboro, we should be looking for a manager like RM with proven experience at this level who can keep us steady and ensure we remain in this league. If Ronnie keeps us up this season then I feel he's proven he's up to the job and deserves to be kept on.

Posted by: MalkinsNobblyKnees (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 18:00

I can understand the view that this is an important appointment that should be made without rushing and with a clear head but I really don't want us to go into an end of the season situation in which certain players don't know whether they're signing new contract or not. Plus I've already seen enough of RM to be convinced that, even if there are better candidates out there, there are so few of them that we're unlikely to get them.
For me the question of whether to give him a long-term contract versus the gamble of leaving the exit door open while trying to find someone better is already settled - I'd offer him a deal as soon as safety is assured.

Posted by: Mal again (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 18:32

[www.ft.com]
Perhaps those against keeping Ronnie can select someone better from the attached, the best over-achieving managers since 1973. Ronnie is at 12 in one of the two measuring methods out of over 250, involving a comparison of players' wages against position the team finished. Basically, money breeds success in general, although there are duff managers who achieved little with the money.

Posted by: Runcorn Rover (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 18:38

One of the problems that TRFC may face is that with the
number of managerial dismissals taking place RM may find
various offers may be made to him.
If TRFC want him longer term they are going to have to do a
deal or risk losing him.
Unless TRFC have other alternatives (unlikely considering
the finances)it seems to me that RM should be given the
job longer term.

Posted by: The Tranmere Troll (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 18:44

Ronnie's going for a Burton... quite literally

Posted by: jade-trfc (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 19:10

i just dont see how its a step backwards when in three years we havent finished above the lowest he finished

Posted by: Journeyman79 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 19:38

I personally think Ronnie staying is a done deal. I believe he has already been told keep us up and the job is yours!

Why else would he come back to a club who unfairly sacked him for 10 games unless there was a permanent job attached for keeping us up?

The only way Ronnie wont be in charge next season is if we go down, and it doesn't look like that will happen now!

Personally tho, I would like a fresh approach, but with a manager who has experience in the lower leagues and is hungry to step up to League 1.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz39/Journeyman_79/kit.png

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2012 23:36

The man didn't have to be asked, he jumped at the chance. He's changed the form dramatically, he's pro Tranmere through and through, he's here now, whereas many other people wanted in recent years, shunned it, including Hill and Knill alledgedly.

Tranmere might get player poachers looking, but look at it this way. Raven, Bakayogo and Kay can step in for Holmes and Buchanan, so losing two in form full backs, could pay decent dividends and unless Parry got the greatest value for monay players out there, there will be more of the same for the same kind of money.

Losing one or two in form defenders wouldn't hurt, when there was a bit more wage budget for the next few seasons and the comfort of knowing similar quality is out there.

I want Ronnie to stay and would welcome Kelly back as well. Ronnie has a solid back 4 and goalie with backup and compared to last time, players like Robbo and Devaney that on their day, I think can be every bit as good, if not potentially a bit more, than Anthony Kay, so he's got some good forward moving quality when fit and we have yet to see McGurk's influence in Ronnie's plans yet, as he might improve on the promise he showed when he got those 3 in 3, including that brilliant Wycombe strike.

Give him a 1 year extension and if he does hideously, get rid at Christmas, but if not, this time next year, extend the deal by another 1-2 years.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Date: 21 March, 2012 13:24

I am baffled by those who don't want Ronnie Moore as the manager?

He's come in at short notice, and turned our fortunes around straight away?

He looks like he will keep us in the division and still people are not happy?

Are we hoping "The Special One" is going to be giving Peter Johnson a call before the end of the season?

Ronnie Moore is Tranmere Rovers through and through, he proved he has good management ability last time, and just to extinguish any doubts, he's done again this time, with a squad of players who were selected and signed by somebody else?

Surely that is enough to warrant a contract?

We could say there are other managers interested, but at least with Ronnie Moore you know he can achieve things at this level as he has shown (twice).

Some people need to look at the facts a bit more closely. Tranmere Rovers is run on one of the smallest budgets in League Football, having a Big Name Manager does not automatically bring success, but does undoubtedly cause a drain on financial resources, which could otherwise be used to purchase better players.

Yes it would be nice to sign a Big Name Manager, but why? Do we really need anyone else?

As far as I can see Ronnie is winning games and motivating the players. At the end of the day, that's all everyone at Tranmere Rovers wants?

Date: 21 March, 2012 13:41

I'm fed up of this. Read the threads back and tell me where I have said I don't want Ronnie as Manager?

I'm sick of people reading what they want to read in people's comments and not what is actually there.

Interesting to see people going on about the poor budget again now Les isn't in charge as well!

Deadly Submarine

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/03/2012 13:45 by Deadly Submarine.

Date: 21 March, 2012 13:53

Quote:
Deadly Submarine
I'm fed up of this. Read the threads back and tell me where I have said I don't want Ronnie as Manager?
I'm sick of people reading what they want to read in people's comments and not what is actually there.

Plus I may be wrong but your post is the complete opposite of what you were saying when Les was in charge (re budget being an excuse etc etc)

Ronnie is doing well, and there are people saying on here that they would rather get someone else in at the end of the season.

I personally think Ronnie is doing well and should be given the job long term.

You are entitled to your views too, and I respect that.

With regards to Les Parry:
Let's face it, he was out of his depth?
Les used every excuse going, apart from blaming his lack of experience and tactics.He even had a go at the fans towards the end.

For the record Deadly, I didn't mention anyones names, I was merely pointing out that some people are never happy.

Date: 21 March, 2012 13:54

Quote:
Deadly Submarine

Quote:
Deadly Submarine

Thats why.

For people who just read the message board & don't know you IRL, thats why...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/03/2012 13:55 by Mikey.

Date: 21 March, 2012 13:59

'Necessarily' being the key word there Mikey (as is overkeen).

Pez, I agree that some people are never happy and it gets on my nerves too!! I'm delighted at the current turnaround in fortunes and if I'm honest I can't see us not being in League One next season.

You're right you didn't mention names and I was being over defensive of myself (not uncommon from me sadly!) so apologies for that!

PS: Pez - I edited my previous post immediately after submitting it (probably while your were replying) because I wanted to tone down the way it came across. That is why it is diffent to what you quoted in your reply!

Deadly Submarine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/03/2012 14:04 by Deadly Submarine.

Date: 21 March, 2012 14:02

Quote:
Mikey
Quote:
Deadly Submarine

Quote:
Deadly Submarine

Thats why.

For people who just read the message board & don't know you IRL, thats why...

I have read the threads but would like to know why Deadly isn't keen on Ronnie Moore getting the job beyond the end of the season?

In what way would he not be right?

He's been in charge twice and to be fair he hasn't done an awful lot wrong to be fair?

Who would he like to see come in as manager? and why does he believe they could do a better job?

Date: 21 March, 2012 14:16

His point/opinion is tho:

He's not saying RM shouldn't be given it, just saying that we shouldn't give it him without at least considering anyone else.

But IMO I only know that from talking to him yesterday and previously, rather from reading this thread.

Not overkeen to me means it's not really something you want, so I can understand peoples reactions.

Date: 21 March, 2012 14:20

Mikey has it spot on and I've explained it badly.

Thanks Mikey

Deadly Submarine

Posted by: TRFC_stevo (IP Logged)
Date: 21 March, 2012 14:24

Ronnie was unfairly sacked, and i can remember being completely baffled at the time about the whole situation. We are lucky he has come back, if i got sacked from my job for nothing and they suddenly needed me back i would tell them to shove it!!

Give him a contract now and let him get on with getting us back within a shot of the play offs next season.

Date: 21 March, 2012 14:37

What are or were your reservations Deadly?

Maybe you are right and what is occurring at the moment is simply "New Broom Syndrome" ?

All I will say is that if the Board are planning a replacement for the long term, then I would hope they are already interviewing potential candidates as we speak?

This would be vital due to the amount of work that would be required during closed season in relation to renewing players contracts or signing new players etc.

Who in your honest opinion would you like to see come in as Manager, and why?

Date: 21 March, 2012 18:31

As I said earlier,a young progressive manager in the mould of Eddie Howe when he took over at Bournemouth who will take us forwards not sideways or backwards. This will remain my opinion no matter how the remaining eight games go.

Date: 21 March, 2012 19:26

What happened then to nobody will take the managers job as certain people believe?

We have a proven manager at this level who should not have been sacked in the first place, i feel we should give him a contract and forget who else we may or may not be able to get in.

Date: 21 March, 2012 23:28

Some young progressive managers right now, are working for progressive league 2 and conference clubs who can offer the same or nearly as much for budget, such that a promotion would permit that manager to spend a budget that could in some way trump Tranmere's.

The circumstances financially still haven't changed and the attraction for others managers hasn't suddenly gotten better.

Unless you told a potential manager he could have at least I'd say around £150,000 extra for signings and another £3,000 a week for squad wages, then the enticement isn't there.

If you interview someone and say thanks to some small increases in revenue and a few player installment payments, he'll get another £40,000 for transfers and antother £1,000 for squad wages, it's not a great offer compared to before and won't blitz what the manager is probably getting at his club or could get for promotion.

Ronnie is proving with Les's players, what Les could have done. Yes Cassidy is a Ronnie signing, but he didn't instigate the win against Rochdale he topped it off and Ronnie still hasn't got players like McGurk and Devaney who could beef up his 4-4-2, so he has no distinact advantages or been allowed some significant wedge that Johnson might have felt concerned about giving to Les.

The slight concern for me, is what qualtiy would Ronnie get in come summer, but I'm faily confident he'd replicate the Les capacity for procurement and general quality through the door.

I still see no need though to waste time and expense ringing other managers, when you have a man willing to give and able to provide effort, form and anjoyment again.

People are entitled to think what they like about Ronnie, but I'll be honest and say, I don't understand why people can say I didn't like him being turfed before, but now I don't want him back, as if Rotherham was like a managers equivalent of a playing inury, that means you'll never be the same quality person again.

I see nothing but positives from this and all the evidence is there. Good defence, more goals, drawing against top 6 sides, winning from behind and current form the top 2 could envy, which I admit will probably taper off a little bit.

Keep Ronnie and keep it simple.

Posted by: cabletastic (IP Logged)
Date: 21 March, 2012 23:51

Here here Matt34 - I fully agree.

Date: 22 March, 2012 00:20

Good post Matt but I would much rather have the young progressive manager.

Posted by: mallorcapete (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2012 06:43

hoots mon-stop moaning,with les we were going down,now with ronnie we are nearly safe.tell me who the young manager you dream of is?we have an experienced trfc man in charge,he wants the job i would sign him up as soon as we get 50 points,maybe let him appoint a new asst manager-ned kelly? not itm.get real we are a lot better off than we were 3 weeks ago

Posted by: Ingleboro08 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2012 07:59

If Ronnie stays, he will be probably given a rolling contract.

Why not have a young talented coach alongside him(e.g. Dave Challinor) to be the future. Just as Ronnie did when he was assitant to Johnny King.

Let's have a plan, let's have a future, instead of the usual present day comings and goings.

If not Ronnie, lets have a clean break. and bring in someone who is not connected and bring in his own staff etc.

Posted by: Kennel (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2012 10:01

Ronnie has transformed TRFC in only a few weeks...the energy in the team is brilliant,the atmosphere at the ground superb and I can,t wait for the next game to come.A far cry from going to the match with trepidation , not knowing what we were in for and sad for the rest of the week.For God sake give Ronnie the job on a permanent basis..he deserves it.

Posted by: pingusmate (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2012 12:05

Give him the job! He just looks the part for me. Even on tele/radio he makes you stop and listen to what hes got to say (similar to fergie, Dalglish). Respect prob. and seems to be rubbing off on the players at the mo. good record at this level. Ronnie for me!

Posted by: Kop Man Mike (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2012 12:35

i dont no what kind of manager Deadly expects, Ronnie knows this league inside out and he gets results!!

he has my backing, FULL STOP!!

and totally agree with Kennel and Pingusmate.

Date: 22 March, 2012 14:25

We've had just 5 games since he came back. It got so bad under Parry that virtually anybody could have improved the situation-if you went particularly to Chesterfield,that was patently obvious.That particular game was so depressing it was unbelievable. The club was almost dying a slow death in front of our eyes. We've now gone from one extreme to the other-let's see how the remaining 8 games pan out before rushing into a decision as to the future. I want a young progressive manager who will take us forward-that is not moaning -its just my opinion. This board is for expressing opinions and respecting those whose thoughts are different from yours even if you don't agree with them.

Date: 22 March, 2012 15:00

Why can't an experienced manager take us forward?

Why a young person and who do you suggest exactly?!

Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2012 15:50

Quote:
Mikey

We need a manager with experience in League 1(or 2 if fail to stay up but with only 6 points needed I think we are safe)so Ronnie falls into that category of experience especially with our budget so Ronnie will do for me or some one of that ilk.
But a younger manager with that type of knowledge would be hard to find, a young manager with no experience would be all most like putting Les back in the hot seat so for now unless we have some one come in and bankroll`s us with lots of money that could hide any cracks that a young manager has I think I will stick with Ronnie for now and if he keeps us up I think he deserves twelve months from June and then we can see how the land lays from there, onwards and upwards(Sm152)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/03/2012 15:54 by BELMONT.

Posted by: MartinDarko (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2012 15:52

If we want a young manager I'll put my name in the hat..

Date: 22 March, 2012 16:50

Quote:
pingusmate
Give him the job! He just looks the part for me. Even on tele/radio he makes you stop and listen to what hes got to say (similar to fergie, Dalglish). Respect prob. and seems to be rubbing off on the players at the mo. good record at this level. Ronnie for me!
Right now I would rather hear what RM has to say about TRFC
than Dalglish spouting garbage about his overpaid bunch
of under performers he bought.(Winning Carling Cup on Pens
against Championship team is nothing great to shout about).
Carroll on loan at TRFC next year? Probably wouldn't get his
place over Enoch

Date: 22 March, 2012 17:14

Quote:
Matt34
The slight concern for me, is what qualtiy would Ronnie get in come summer, but I'm faily confident he'd replicate the Les capacity for procurement and general quality through the door.

This is my main concern too. Ronnies signings in his last stint in charge were a bit hit and miss, mainly miss!

I too would prefer a clean break with a young talented manager coming in, but also agree that it would be difficult finding one who would want to come with the budget on offer.

If Ronnie does stay tho, i think what someone posted above should definitely happen. Get Garnett involved in the 1st team, and, if he rejects the chance (like when Les was given the job permanantly) then get someone young looking for the opportunity to learn, just like Moore did under Kingy!

Date: 22 March, 2012 18:48

Quote:
Mikey

Because a young intelligent person is more likely to have fresh progressive ideas which will take us forward not sideways or backwards. More of the same might steady the boat in the short term but that's all.I have said at least twice somebody in the mould of Eddie Howe when he started at Bournemouth.

Posted by: Carnal (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2012 18:50

I'm happy with Ronnie, at the moment. He hasn't just stopped the rot, he's turned us completely round. Who could have expected more? Early days, I know.

The problem with an up and coming manager, I see, is that they're an unknown quantity. Both in managerial ability and in their ability to attract/bring in new players. Also, if they do well, then they're off and no one can blame them.

I see Ronnie as bringing much needed stability to the club. For all the excitement of the past couple of weeks I can't see PJ, all of a sudden, wanting to take more of an interest (financially, at least) in the club. I think that he'll look for the safe bet. There's no doubt about that.

Date: 22 March, 2012 21:16

If Ronnie wasn't kept, I'd still go back to another suggestion, which is Sammy Mcilroy, who was being paid by a club without tonnes of money, so should be affordable.

I would welcome Dave Kelly as an assistant to Ronnie, as obviously I doubt a Sammy Mc / Ronnie scenario, as player and assistant or Co-managers would be good.

Alex Smith and Jocky Scott had a decent stint apparently as Co-managers of Aberdeen in the early 90's, but it became a hit and miss scenario for Roy Evans and Houillier at Liverpool, so that scenario has no consistant track record of working, that I know of.

I doubt Sammy Mc would want to be Ronnies sidekick, or vice versa, but side by side, with Kevin S let go and John Mc retained could be a bit funky, but might work theoretically.

I am not convinced of Jimmy Harvey as a higher level manager just yet, as I don't see enough significant improvement with any clubs he's managed, but would welcome him as Ronnies number 2 next season, especially if he did as he reportedly said he would have as manager, bring a couple of his Stalybridge stikers for £700 a week.

Another possibility, is relieve Kevin S and let Goodison be player-assistant to Ronnie, though I have no problems with Kevin at all.

Challinor as an assistant would be good for me as well.

Date: 22 March, 2012 21:45

For every good up and coming young manager like Howe thee are numerous that are poor, fresh ideas and a different direction doesnt mean things will improve.

We have a proven league 1 manager at the moment and should appoint him on a permanent basis as soon as possible.

Date: 22 March, 2012 22:27

That is your opinion which I respect but don't agree with.Until you give somebody a chance you don't know how they will be.To tar all the others/''numerous''[who exactly are you referring to] as poor is very short sighted.

Date: 22 March, 2012 22:58

Just think back to Dave Watson.

Posted by: Carnal (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2012 23:06

Just think back to Les Parry! Or John Barnes......

Posted by: Bolton Rover (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2012 23:09

You can give some up and coming manager a chance and the minute results don't go our way everyone will be slagging them off and the rot will set in again. Look at Barnes - he was one of those 'clever' appointments that set us right back.

Ronnie has got the fans behind him and the team. If we brought any other person in on our budget there will be enough people against the decision to lose that momentum in my opinion .

Definitely want to see what Ronnie can do for us next season.

Date: 22 March, 2012 23:18

Quote:
bigmart
Just think back to Dave Watson.

That's ''numerous''? Just think of Karl Robinson or Chris Wilder for instance.

Date: 23 March, 2012 01:01

As I look at it Hoots Mon, with our lack of budget etc, why risk a Watson, Barnes, Les etc in hope of finding a Howe when we have someone who loves the club, is experienced, proven at this level and can offer some stability at last.

After the last 3 years we've had, I don't think now is a very good type of time to risk trying to find that type of manager you mention.

I think it's a good type of manager to have but not sure, in our situation, its worth taking that risk.

Date: 23 March, 2012 11:04

A win tomorrow and RM is a shoe in for FL manager of the
month.Certainally would give him bargaining power and not
just at TRFC.
The fact is he did not deserve to get sacked in the first
place.We have had 2 poor spells since then.
He obviously has the nous to operate successfully at this
level.Why change it if it ain't broke.
I reckoned the squad we had at the beginning of this season
could have been challenging for play off place but it had
the wrong leader.
We now have the right leader at this time for this club.Give
RM the opportunity to try and get us up next year.

Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 23 March, 2012 13:03

Goodison as player assistant manager or manager I like the guy and he has worked tirelessly as the centre of our defence for years and long may it continue(as long as them legs stay the course) but manager I do not think so . Ian is so laid back and cool in defence just can not see him getting in the frame as manager mind you I could be wrong.

.(Sm60)

.(Sm60) .(Sm60) .(Sm60) .(Sm60)

.(Sm60) .(Sm60) .(Sm60) .(Sm60)

.(Sm61) .(Sm61)

He would most likely field 4-4-2 reggae style looking cool in defeat but awesome when dancing (Sm60)(Sm61) to a win and when coming on to the field of play no more Rockford Files it would be to the tunes of Bob Marley "Don`t Rock My Boat"or *Trenchtown(Tranmere) Rock" and when we score the tune of *Keep On Moving* or if were not playing well coming on in the second half to the tune of "Lively Up Yourself* or if you don`t a *Small Axe* will fall other tunes are available for Ian`s reggae super white army(mind you the strip might change
to Rastafarian colours(Sm61)).(Sm22).Any back to tomorrow a win for Ronnie`s barmy(Sm138) army will go down well and if Goody wants to score one of the goals that bring that win on I will be dancing in them stands to the tune * I`ll Feel Good* on wards and upwards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/03/2012 19:19 by BELMONT.

Date: 23 March, 2012 22:29

Hoots Mon, Tony Adams Steve Claridge Paul Peschisolido and lots others have not exactly been much of a success and there are plenty more.

Date: 24 March, 2012 00:08

Steve Claridge? Player manager of Portsmouth over 10 years ago-later at Weymouth -very poor example IMO. Who are the ''plenty more''?

We are not going to agree on this subject IMO.

Posted by: mallorcapete (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2012 08:37

hoots mon,claridge at millwall,tony adams,didi mamman-stockport,ian rush-chester,barnes,watson,molby,whelan,to name a few all under 40 and flops,where or who is the young manager you want?

Posted by: Mal again (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2012 11:10

For every one Karl Robinson, there are 49 duffers. And I Would line to see the wage bill of the players at MKD versus Tranmere. And moaning of fans is epidemic [www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: 24 March, 2012 23:01

Quote:
bigmart
Hoots Mon, Tony Adams Steve Claridge Paul Peschisolido and lots others have not exactly been much of a success and there are plenty more.

When I first read this, I thought Bigmart was including Hoots Mon in his list of failed footballing types (Sm6)

Current managers still on the heap include Dave Penney, Terry Skiverton, Steve Ayre.

You look on the LMA site and someone like Paul Bracewell ias listed despite having 2 clubs under his belt but no appointment for around 9 years now, but the fact he is still listed would indicate he's not given up on management.

Managers have to start somewhere, but such appointments are a proving ground and big names like Peter Shilton, Ray Clemence and Bobby Charlton, have faired not too well with management.

However Tranmere are not really in a position to gamble. If Tranmere had £5,000 a week for players and the manager had been poached to a £15,000 a week championship side, then a fresh manager managing a great performing lesser team, has a massive inducement, but if your team has seriously dropped off the pace by November, compared to the previous season, bin him, get a new guy in with a month to assess training and match form, then deal in January.

Tranmere don't have the money for amazing players, (but they have some amazing value for money players), who might underperform with a poor manager, but be devastating with a good manager, though Ronnie has upset the apple cart with the current bunch in that respect

If Tranmere had rank form, and were bottom 4 by November and a few points away from the line like Barnes was, a new manager would be really struggling to bolster the form and shoot up the table, as was proven by Les, when the team just stayed up, although they could have probably done enough to be okay with 2-3 games left, so that was a little bit down to Les, but largely down to Barnes's poor tenure.

I think Tranmere would be more able to take a risk on someone fairly green at management if they had 3x the money and 5 or 6 players capable of regular championship football, as underperforming players of that calibre, can really be dangerous when played well and turning around some insubstatial form with around 6 months to go, would be very doable, for sides that could average another 0.5+ on their goal difference every 1-2 games over a 6 month period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/03/2012 23:02 by Matt34.

Posted by: TranmereFan (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2012 13:12

Just keep Ronnie ! Hes already nearly got us up previously! and Prenton park is rocking again!

What more is there to want?! why would a young manager (or any other) make that any better than it is now?

OOhhhhh RONNIE MOOOORRRREEE!(Sm78)

Date: 25 March, 2012 18:14

Quote:
Mal again
For every one Karl Robinson, there are 49 duffers. And I Would line to see the wage bill of the players at MKD versus Tranmere. And moaning of fans is epidemic [www.bbc.co.uk]
To quote Alan Hansen. "you won't win anything with youngsters".Generally speaking the same thing applies to
Managers.Experience is crucial in the cut and thrust job.
There are a few exceptions of young managers doing well but
as stated in many cases it is because there is money available.

Date: 25 March, 2012 18:33

Alan Hansen was proved wrong though wasn't he!

Deadly Submarine

Date: 25 March, 2012 19:01

He certainly was.

Posted by: Mighty White (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2012 19:22

Why does everyone say Ronnies sacking was harsh? No one knows the real reason why. If he was harshly sacked he wouldn't have come back. He has obviously appologised to the board, that is why he is back. It's all in the past now just get behind him till the end of the season, then lets get Ned Kelly in !!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON YOU MIGHTY WHITES(Sm44)

Date: 25 March, 2012 19:50

Quote:
Mal again
For every one Karl Robinson, there are 49 duffers.

Did you count them?(Sm152)

Posted by: Mal Again (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2012 20:15

Yes

Date: 25 March, 2012 20:20

Well done.

Date: 25 March, 2012 22:54

Ronnie had nothing to apologise for to my knowledge. Johnson was making spending cuts and Ronnie was in the fallout.

Why would he have had to apologie. He had a squad with one or two players on £2,000 a week and almost made the playoffs, so unless he was nobbing Lorraine Rogers on the sly, I don't think he would have anything to be sorry for.

Date: 26 March, 2012 07:28

Quote:
Deadly Submarine
Alan Hansen was proved wrong though wasn't he!
Yes but only the one time,most of the time he would have
been right.Same applies to Managers

Date: 26 March, 2012 14:04

It's not the same for managers because we only need one at a time. We need a full squad of players.

Posted by: Matty_1985 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2012 01:21

I think Ronnie should get the job full-time. Why chance getting a younger, less experienced manager in? Ronnie knows this level of football like the back of his hand and is certainly showing that he ha made a positive impact already!

Date: 27 March, 2012 07:20

Quote:
Matty_1985
I think Ronnie should get the job full-time. Why chance getting a younger, less experienced manager in? Ronnie knows this level of football like the back of his hand and is certainly showing that he ha made a positive impact already!
Summed up perfectly.After the last few years of failure why
risk more by trying out someone inexperienced .Give it to RM

Posted by: TRFC_stevo (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2012 11:06

I can't understand this young manager mentalilty, there is always a risk with a young manager, and even if they have done well elsewhere they wont be coming here will they.

so if we do get a young manager it is more than likely going to be his first job, no thanks!!! been there done it.

Would u want AVB here cause i would'nt!!!

Posted by: Glenfield Garry (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2012 15:10

What do u Tranmere fans want?? Moore saves ur skin & now u want him out? Be satisfied. He's a good manager who does a good job. Ur Tranmere, not Inter Milan.

Posted by: Lobby Ludd (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2012 15:55

We know who we are, who are you?

Date: 27 March, 2012 17:54

Another point about inexperienced manager with the Eddie Howe mantality.

what would happen if someone like that came in and got Tranmere close or in the playoffs, then the following season a Championship club offer him £14,000 a week for player wages and 2-3x the salary?

Then you lose Mr Wonderful to a bigger club and then what? Expect another Mr Wonderful to waltz in and achieve the same?

Ronnie is here, Tranmre through and through and is probably not likely, however fabulously Tranmere do under him, to be offered a job at Wigan, Wolves or Bolton if they drop down, or any other relegated Premier league club or a championship side who didn't finish high enough, so he'd be here for a long time to come, helping to give the trust more stability with their improvement plans, because if a Mr Wonderful came in and then got poached in 12 months and then a Mr average came in and helped the team to struggle, disgruntled fans would not be appeased in their dislike of struggling, by new merchandise and a shiny new hotel popping up the trust provided, as your football comes first at any club and supportrers support teams Hotel facilites or not, because peripheral things like Hotels, much as though they are important for a clubs revnue and status, are not what you pay to see.

Tranmere look the best they've looked since Ronnie was lats there and Ronnie looks like the perfect fit for Tranmere, with his history at the club, intense liking for it and current form, so why have anyone else right now. It would give the hopefully soon to be incumbent trust, less to worry about, if they could relax about pitch matters and retain more focus on promoting their revenue and club status improvements.

Better to see a Ronnie doing what he does with the current budget, than possibly see some other guy struggle and be forced to divert revenue streams for other things towards the squad, so the manager can have 50% or more more money, to keep them up, if other aspects of club improvement get delayed somewhat.

I think anyone would wish Ronnie had £3,000 a week and upwards for signings, but if you know you don't have to give him that just yet, to get a good season, then you can power on with other things and people wouldn't be wondering when the heck the Hotel and main stand redevelopments would start, whilst they marvelled at some 26 year old loan striker from Cardiff, on £2,500 a week and up, scoring 15+ a season, instead of seeing new works happening and possibly a £1,500 a week Premier league reject kid, scoring 15+ a season.

If you can build pitch success around Ronnie and a modest budget, without having to force greater chunks of cash at some underperforming newbie, so he can get players who can prop up his ailing form, you'll have more ability to push on with what you want off the field.

So Ronnie to me makes more than just managerial sense right now.

Date: 27 March, 2012 19:41

What if....... what if........ what if....... You can say that about virtually anything.

Date: 27 March, 2012 20:34

Quote:
Hoots Mon
What if....... what if........ what if....... You can say that about virtually anything.
For some people "What If" is the way they see life as they want it to happen.In a real world you have to make it happen.RM got on the phone and got the job and made it happen.He has done the business give him the job full time.
We can all get on with it and put an end to this very entertaing post

Date: 27 March, 2012 22:59

The post/thread is entertaining but it would become boring if we all had the same views.That will not happen.Absolutely no chance.

Date: 28 March, 2012 14:50

Quote:
Glenfield Garry
What do u Tranmere fans want?? Moore saves ur skin & now u want him out? Be satisfied. He's a good manager who does a good job. Ur Tranmere, not Inter Milan.

Who here has said we want Moore out? I was of the opinion that Moore was a step backwards, and i made this opinion BEFORE the good run.

If Moore does get the job i'm sure 100% of the fans will be behind him.

However, as a Tranmere fan of 30 years + i am entitled to my opinion as to who I would like to manage us.

As for the Inter Milan reference, I haven't noticed anyone mention wanting an International quality manager, so where did that come from?

Posted by: cadburygorilla (IP Logged)
Date: 28 March, 2012 20:46

Love ronnie and done an amazing job but with us having to produce and sell players as a means to survive (there is a figure in the budget for this!) I worry about him bringing our own young lads through....apparently he hasn't introduced himself to any of the youth team yet...

Date: 28 March, 2012 21:03

Quote:
Journeyman79

However, as a Tranmere fan of 30 years + i am entitled to my opinion as to who I would like to manage us.

It would appear that some people think you're not unless you totally agree with them.

Posted by: Curious (IP Logged)
Date: 28 March, 2012 22:59

Do you mean those who don't make fatuous bitchy remarks about other Tranmere or Sheffield supporters?

Date: 29 March, 2012 00:48

Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Journeyman79

It would appear that some people think you're not unless you totally agree with them.

That's a bit harsh.

Just think all things considered, after the last 3 years we need a bit of stability and RM can offer us that, whereas there is a larger element of risk if we gamble on the young manager you talk about!

Date: 29 March, 2012 09:28

Ronnie Moore is proving to be the saviour of our League One status, and as such deserves some recognition for this.

I know some people will have their own feelings as to whether or not he should be given the job beyond the end of the season, but let's be honest? It would be totally unfair and reckless to say "Thanks but No Thanks" IMHO.

This Younger Manager that some people would like to see? Exactly who do they have in mind?

What this club needs now is some stability which IMO Ronnie has provided almost instantly. We are looking good and need to build from this.To make wholesale changes during the closed season could be suicidal and to bring in a Young Inexperienced Manager to oversee the whole thing is totally ludicrous.

Ronnie has the credentials for this league
Ronnie has the relevant experience - Fact
Ronnie has the team playing well - Fact
Ronnie has the Boards backing - Fact
Ronnie has the majority of the fans backing - Fact
Ronnie has the ambition to take us forward - Fact

All the above ensure harmony and consistency at the club, a firm foundation to build on and hopefully with a few new additions to our current squad of players, next season we could realistically be pushing for a play off position.

We are currently seeing positive things at Tranmere and to install a Younger Inexperienced Manager would generate so much negativity that I wouldn't even consider it as a viable option!

Again that's only my opinion,but I live in South Wirral not Cloud Cuckoo Land!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In
Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net