football
Latest News:
twitter Totally Tranmere Podcast Website facebook register rules help contact Image Map
LEAGUE TWO FIXTURES RELEASED WEDNESDAY 18TH JUNE 2014

Is PJ waiting until Les' replacement is agreed
glos white (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 19:24
Don’t post that often but I have to say I can’t believe Les is still in post. Nothing against him personally as I don’t know the man. But I genuinely expected after the result at the weekend for his sacking to be announced this afternoon. Is Johnson holding on to agree replacement then quick change around or is he just completely incompetent?

Re: Is PJ waiting until Les' replacement is agreed
garyrov (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 19:29
johnson wont sack les , i am starting to think johnson wants us to go down as any other chairman would have got rid of hapless les ages ago ,maybe he thinks league 2 football will mean cheaper players smaller wage bill ,good god if thats his thinking he will welcome non - league football ,so if thats the case johson will keep the clown just to make sure we go down and down again

HalfManHalfBrewery (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 19:37
Your question suggests that Peter Johnson actually has a plan to replace Les! Of course he doesn't because Les is a cheap option and replacing him would cost money! Don't forget he's made horrendous mistakes before ie bringing in Barnes and McAteer to relace Ronnie! He will simply sit there and do nothing until Les gets us relegated! Johnson lost the plot years ago and cannot be trusted to make any sensible decision concerning the club's future! No other club in the football league would still have Les in charge after one win in nineteen matches!

Matt34 (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 20:25
Ronnie cost too much and the club had to let him go to help save £1,000,000, however it was reported as a 19% drop in attendances.

Whilst that might have been so, to make it sound like that, was a bit naive and made Johnson look silly. If he'd fessed up straight away to the absolute reason, not a beat round the bush reason, he'd have looked a bit better over the Ronnie scenario.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

welsh rover (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 20:42
the excuss of falling attendences dident wash with me then and still dont now. pj wanted to make cuts and wanted a yes man. not a manager that may fight him. i dont know what money barnes was on but i would think the saving between the two wages would not of been a great amount. and in the long term may end costing us money.

bigmart (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 20:48
in answer to the original question no

clue-les (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 20:53
If that's true about Ronnie costing so much, why then did he turn around and hire Barnes and McAteer to replace him? Surely Ronnie couldn't have been asking for more than was paid to both of them.
This whole scenario has certainly fired up the MessageBoard and it's been very entertaining reading all the various comments, with almost everyone wanting a change of leadership.
It's going to be interesting to see how long Johnson can sit on his hands on this issue. Then again, if they manage to actually beat a team soon, he'll probably feel justified in keeping Les ...... to begin another long and winless streak.
I'm Tranmere through and through, but it's certainly getting harder and harder to stay optimistic.

garyrov (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 21:04
we all know that johnson is trying to cut costs in anyway he can ,so keeping hapless les is a good deal for him he is cheap and a yes man ,but does johnson relise that you get what you pay for you pay peanuts you get monkeys ,going down to league 2 or god forbid into non -league it will cost a lot more in the long run ,i mean crowds of just over 1000 ,having to start in the much lower rounds of the fa cup and the list goes on ,johnsom must relise that relagation is not a option the club will die ,or is that what he wants i wonder ????, he just does not seem to care what is going on and sitting on his hands spells disater for our club

Mikey (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 21:42
I've not seen RM's wage slips, or Barnes/McAteers BUT, from stuff I've heard.

> RM was on just over 100k a year
> At the same time we sacked RM I think we made a fair few admin/behind the scenes staff unemployed too? (Sure their were redundancies at the club) which probably helped towards that reported 1 mil figure above, plus player wage budget cuts (I've no idea if the 1mil figure is true like)
> Barnes/McAteer combined were on less than RM so it obviously did save some money wage wise but as Matt34 points out, attendances dropped.
> Les is on more than Barnes but less than RM

Don't want to claim it all to be fact as I haven't seen wage slips or anything. Some of it is bits I've heard which tbf may be wrong, some of it is just educated guess.

However back on topic I agree with what bigmart said.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac168/total-tranmere/goodison.jpg

Rovers G.O.A.T (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 13:49
I think Johnson may be waiting on the Ingleborough scenario which if went through sharpish may instigate a change or even mean that he wouldn’t be the one who has to make a one. Either way it boils down to:
Do you sack Les incurring a pay-out, plus the cost of a new manager? Coupled with the risk they might not even keep us in the division.
Or
Just let Les’ contract finish so there’s no pay-out? Coupled with the risk he might not even keep us in the division.
Now at the start of his managerial stint Les and the club staff in general were tasked with stabilising the club to new budgets and to avoid relegation. This has most likely been the same objective set each season. I think it is fair to say Les and the others have done what has been required.
Both decisions carry the same risk and reward; however one is cheaper for the club. Johnson must be braced for the worst anyway, so I think he’s going with the latter and hoping Ingleborough gets sorted soon. If it doesn’t a new manager will be in before the start of next season to try and pull some fans back.
Unless of course Les finishes 17th or better meaning we’ve finished higher than last season.
At the end of the day it’s the club we all support and we should show it all game, every game to help our team, that’s our task as fans. Believe me you get more out of people when you encourage instead of discourage.

Ricci (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 14:16
For PJ to be thinking of a replacement would mean showing foresight. He has none at all, that is why Les was appointed in the first place.

pez (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 14:24
There is also a scenario where a buyer has been found and P.J is reluctant to change things as the potential buyers may wish to appoint their own Management Staff?

Matt34 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 18:04
The Ingleborough scenario is a good shout.

why try ot get a new guy in and offer a peanuts budget, when Ingleborough goes through and you can offer a manager a more attractive budget and salary?

I'm not saying Johson would be right to wait, but he's tried many options in the past 2 years, including Keith Hill and Alan Knill alledgedly and Paul Jewel if you believe he supposedly spouted off about the budget, but if Johson could pay what Ronnie was paid or a bit more and give a manager another £1,000 a week for top wages, he'd be onto a much better proposition. someone decent to afford with a budget to match, then when you get promoted you would have less of a gulf between your spending and the cheaper championship teams and more chance of surviving.

Rather that then a manager coming in on cheap money, managing the slimline possible of promotion through the playoffs with the current cash, only for Tranmere to drop back down and into a financial hole, left by the loss of the £4,000,000 added TV revenues and other things, which an approximate £900,000 of parachute payments wouldn't solve.

I'd say thinking about it, Johnson will wait for the Ingleborough plans to be done and dusted, get the trust on board then re-evaluate management personnel, because he might get a new guy and 3-6 months later, the trust want rid, because they have other ideas, or because Johnson's new broom won't sweep to the trusts tempo.

Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 19:15
In the meantime the spectre of relegation due to inertia grows day by day.

Matt34 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 21:53
Yes relegation is a possibility but not a certainty, but Peter Johnson isn't media friendly, so expecting him to say anything about Les, Ingleborough or the trust, is even less likely than Goodison admitting he's having a gay relationship with Robbo, which of course I completely expect to never happen.

pez (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 22:03
Quote:
Matt34
Yes relegation is a possibility but not a certainty, but Peter Johnson isn't media friendly, so expecting him to say anything about Les, Ingleborough or the trust, is even less likely than Goodison admitting he's having a gay relationship with Robbo, which of course I completely expect to never happen.

Well they do reckon there's one in every team lol.

Matt34 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 22:40
One maybe, but it still takes two to tango (Sm6)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net