Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Awful Had Already Happened The Late Early Show
Posted by: Arsenal Times (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2008 19:39

The Awful Had Already Happened The Late Early Show

Re: The Awful Had Already Happened The Late Early Show
Posted by: 80'sGoona (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2008 20:08

Championship kinda win. Not playing very well, still creating chances, clean sheet, 3 points

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2008 20:40

blackburn had an away record as good as Man U so it was a very tough game. But Blackburn cant have any complaints

Posted by: Simon68 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2008 20:56

Friedel always plays a blinder against us so it was good that Swiss got that early goal to take some pressure off as we have become too anxious sometimes when we don't score when we dominate.

Could have been 5 or 6 in the end, but to go 5 points clear within 2 games with so many players missing that Ferguson, and so many "neutrals", were expecting and hoping we would be the ones dropping points, is brilliant.

And to have caught up on goal difference in such a short space of time is the icing on the cake.

We need to get the likes of Rosicky, Kolo, RvP, Eboue, Song, Almunia & Djourou fit or recharged asap as we have big games coming up thick and fast.

As well as Swiss has done, against the type of players ManU & Milan have upfront, Kolo is vital to us. These games are unlikely to be ones where we will be attacked in the air very much.

And Tomas can make a mug out of Brown if he is fit and on form.

Date: 12 February, 2008 21:47

True Simon, they all keep on about our implosion.
Only problem is I beginning to worry that Tomas is a sick note.

Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2008 01:04

The consolation is that Hleb can play in Rosicky's palce - minus goal-poaching instinct - and in a pinch, Eduardo as well.

but hey, Eboue is back so that our right flank is not as exposed as before when Hleb switches to left and left onyl fabregas to fill right flank.

We need our forgotten man - Walcott - to be up to speed to paly on the right, especially as a supersub in 70th minute to tear up a defence ran ragged to peices and win tight matches in the 80th something minute.

Now is the time for Walcott to stand up and be counted. His transitory period is over, and it is make or break for him.
No more excuses as he is 'still young" as he had 2-years training and coaching with us.

Posted by: mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2008 02:14

I won't play Walcott against ManUre as in Evra, they have a very lethal overlapping fullback and we will need Eboue to keep a check on him when Sagna overlaps. Walcott does not have the experience nor physique to contain Evra. Walcott might be useful coming on as a sub against the old and tiring Milan defence. His speed will be useful there. I won't be surprised if we don't get to see RvP again this season as his injury seems chronic. But I would really like to see Rosicky back asap as his creativity will be the additional spark we need complementing Cesc and Helb.

Having watched the Arsenal v Blackburn again, it is very apparent to me that Flamini covers alot more ground than Gilberto and Flamini is more often in advanced attacking positions than Gilberto. Gilberto looks more passive in his play while Flamini on the ball is always looking for passing options. Won't be surprised this is Gilberto's final season with Arsenal.

Posted by: weedz (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2008 03:42

The trouble, Maple, with using both Alex and Ebo on the L&R is that neither of them score goals. Which leaves us with Cesc, Ade and Ed9 as our only points of strike. Probably a little light in that deptment for AW. I think thats why he has tried to use Diaby on the left, when it`s not his natural position. But he can strike.

Mertz for Club Captain

Posted by: litmus (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2008 03:50

Agreed, mapleleaf.., Flams get more involved and wants to be involved all the time. I liken it to Gils is doing his job and nothing else, doing enough, but Flams wants to give his all in every game, not just doing "his job" but to influence the game for the team.

While Gils performance in the last game was pretty decent, we can all see how much more Falms contribute to the cause.

Posted by: AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2008 10:40

when one has warmed the bench as gilberto has done this season do you expect him to play top notch once he gets a game.the title is for arsenal to win or loose.senderos always has his freak moments of blunders but correct me if am wrong but he plays better in european games then in the epl.we are light weight at the moments due to injuries but if we can sustain and keep ourselves in the fa cup and CL also, then by the time players return from injuries we will have a blast of good run to the end.

Posted by: scorpion_nib1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2008 12:04

agreed with AJ. gilberto cant be expected to be at his best when he isnt playing. atleast his touch is back. his control and passing was good in the first half. we can definitely use him more often till the season ends. he should play on saturday. got enough experience and bottle. also, its not a must win game.

Date: 13 February, 2008 13:33

He had a useful game

Posted by: H.C (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2008 17:16

Can't agree with the idea that Bert had a good game. First up Padre, you will remember that I was a big defender of El Hombre Invisible back when it was fashionable to slate him. But after a good first ten minutes when he glided about as of old he was miles off the pace. He knew where the action was going to be but was unable to get there, and spent a lot of the game like a man watching a tennis match. In the first half especially this led to Tugay being in absolute acres every time he got the ball. With Arsenal effectively outnumbered in midfield and Cesc out wide(ish) Flams did the work of three men and was once again immense. Understand I am not slating Bert but no way did he have a good game. Committed to the cause, hard working for sure, but he left a big hole in midfield.

Don't want to see anybody talking about titles - not with 36 points still up for grabs.

And I don't give a monkey's about the FA Cup or the CL this season, I really don't. If we do win you know what then it might just be Le Boss's finest hour

Date: 13 February, 2008 18:15

I didnt quite say he had a good game, his passing was awful, but Blackburn didnt get many chances and he was a small part of making sure they didnt. It is a team game, and we were ok defensively.

He is no longer capable of being an offensive midfielder in this tempo team. Its a shame Diarra went, but that wasnt Wenger's fault.

Yes its important that nothing is taking for granted, titles are won in May not March, however Arsenal are in pole position and they wont be allowed to forget that. So they will have to put up with the pressure, not hide and lead from the front. Teams will have to fear them.

This was a great result, and it was a good, althogh dull, performance. The crowd, including me, were anxious, but we will have to learn not to live on our nerves, or it will spook the team.

Posted by: H.C (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2008 18:24

That's right Padre - you said useful, not good. Fair enough. I agree that now the pressure is really on because everybody has decided we're going to walk it. This is a very long way from being 'nothing in July', as the great man said, and I much prefer people thinking we're going to 'fold under questioning', as Joe Pesci says to Ray Liotta in Goodfellas

I was at the game Monday - a first for me this season. Have to say that the crowd's 'anxiety' sounded at times exactly like old-fashioned moaning!

Date: 13 February, 2008 18:49

Well thats why they moan, they are anxious, but they did get behind the team at times.

This was first time Blackburn lost in 7 games, crowd think we have god given right to walk over all teams. that all games should be won 4-0. Thats fairy tale stuff

Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2008 01:05

Quote:
Padre Pio
Well thats why they moan, they are anxious, but they did get behind the team at times.
This was first time Blackburn lost in 7 games, crowd think we have god given right to walk over all teams. that all games should be won 4-0. Thats fairy tale stuff

Hey, I beleive in fairy as in "Once upon a time..."...(Sm154)

And the only team we whup is Derby 5-0.
Another team is overdue for a whupping.....(Sm71)

Posted by: Bwana Wenger (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2008 02:52

looooooooooooooooooong overdue.(Sm118)

Warning: Supporting Arsenal is not for the faint at heart... It requires hard balls...

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net