Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Iwobi signs for Everton
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 08 August, 2019 17:40
Iwobi signs for Everton
Boston Gooner 08 August, 2019 17:40
40 million.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Re: Iwobi signs for Everton
CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 17:47
Fee is quite low for a home grown player when zaha is been a 80mn price tag. Not really happy. It should have been mkhitaryan

Boston Gooner 08 August, 2019 17:47
Brill money.
But rather he had stayed this season.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

younghansolo 08 August, 2019 17:48
Hahahahahaha, laughing all the way to the bank

Padre Pio 08 August, 2019 18:21
Zaha scores a few goals

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

BootyDaddy 08 August, 2019 18:59
Quote:
CazOnARola
Fee is quite low for a home grown player when zaha is been a 80mn price tag. Not really happy. It should have been mkhitaryan

Yes but Zaha isn’t s.hit.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 19:18
Yeah but Everton sold their starlet for 50+. Iwobi has PL experience.

Upamecano was rejected at 55mn and he is a defender with no PL experience and not exactly ready either.

I just think in current market we could have got more.

Anyways, it looks like we might have broken even or close to it with our net spend after iwobi s sale.

SuperRob 08 August, 2019 21:04
Sad to see him go but probably it means that they'll give Nelson more of a chance and I think he has a much higher potential than Iwobi. Let's hope he takes that chance and reaches his potential.

tigerline 08 August, 2019 21:10
Quote:
SuperRob
Sad to see him go but probably it means that they'll give Nelson more of a chance and I think he has a much higher potential than Iwobi. Let's hope he takes that chance and reaches his potential.

We had always been told that Iwobi was destined to move inside eventually.
And we waited.
Well, guess what? Joe Willock has just jumped up and made a place for himself inside.
Iwobi became surplus to requirements ... yet we still got 40M for him!
Quality management, right there.

Gunnersingh1 08 August, 2019 21:21
I rate his skill set but we can't wait for ever hoping he will produce. I like this new ruthless Arsenal. 40 mil is bonkers!

djarse 08 August, 2019 21:34
Now confirmed by BBC but the price is less - £28m basic plus up to £6m extra in add-ons

MattySadler 08 August, 2019 22:01
There are players I would've got rid of before Iwobi but wages etc mean there aren't any takers.

I guess someone had to face the chop and if it had to be anyone I would've probably picked him.

AJ The Gunner 08 August, 2019 22:06
We actually sold Iwobi to Everton???! Not sure how I feel about this at all. We kept Mhki and Ozil but sold Iwobi??? A promising young player who I still think has yet to reach his full potential??? 🤔
149 appearances, 23 assists and 15 goals. Good luck at Everton and try not to score against us when we meet. Giroud's display at the Europa sure still hurts.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 22:21 by AJ The Gunner.

mapleleafgooner 09 August, 2019 00:39
Dumb move by Arsenal. Iwobi has a lot of upside in his game. More than Ozil, Mkhitaryan and Xhaka. I would get rid of them first b4 Iwobi. Dumb.

HappyGööner 09 August, 2019 03:50
Would've prefer selling Mikhi than Iwobi who's one of the few players we had that can take players on with the ball.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 03:52 by HappyGööner.

CazOnARola 09 August, 2019 04:16
Basically we are relying on Nelson. Pepe is our take defenders on player now.

younghansolo 09 August, 2019 04:47
You can't compare players who we should have sold. Teams didn't want then enough. If they did we would have done business.

Everton did want iwobi and paid enough to justify the sale. I'm pretty delighted

Merlion96 09 August, 2019 06:26
Plus, we have too many youngsters pushing through the team in this and next season:
- Saka, Nelson and Smith-Rowe are good back-up at the left wing;

- Kolasinac is a better left wingback than a full-back;

- Iwobi will be fighting with Aubameyang, Ceballos and Ozil for a spot at left wing with Pepe at right wing.

We need that 30+ to 40-mil to tidy us over for FY2019/20 to comply with FFP due to expected losses for FY2018/19.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

litmus 09 August, 2019 07:46
It was vital that we recoup some of the Pepe and Tierney purchases by selling someone. Iwobi had improved his game in the last season, but he is no Pepe, and it was a transfer that made sense as it happened. I agree there were others that we all would rather be sold ahead of him, but Iwobi was the one that someone wanted, and for a good price. 2 years ago did you imagine Iwobi would be worth (sold) at 35-40 mil?

If we were flushed with money from sugar daddies like Chelsea and City, we wouldn't have needed to sell, but unfortunately, we ain't. I do hope though that there is a buy-back clause in case he becomes the next Pires.

CazOnARola 09 August, 2019 08:13
Buy back or a sell on. And the reported fee is 28 mn plus 6mn addons

Bergmars 09 August, 2019 12:33
He has no similarities to Bobby whatsoever glad hes gone.

Under new managment

CazOnARola 09 August, 2019 17:34
There was a time a few years back when SandyB was saying we should cash in on some from ramsey/wilshere /theo/ox as they would catch higher price for being home grown and also help us find bigger players.

We never made that choice until it was too late. I myself admit that i and to keep Jack and aaron to see how it paned out, and fast forward 4 years it went south.

Looking at that, selling iwobi instead of waiting for him to come good was the right choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net