Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

David Luiz...
Discussion started by Gunnersingh1 , 07 August, 2019 23:36
David Luiz...
Gunnersingh1 07 August, 2019 23:36
I can't make up my mind if i think he'd be a good signing or not.

Part of me wants him because bar Monreal our defenders are shite on the ball but then I can remember him having a few Mustafi type performances every few weeks.

Do you want him to sign?

Re: David Luiz...
Boston Gooner 08 August, 2019 00:01
Quote:
 bar Monreal our defenders are shite on the ball 😂😂

Certainly isn't the answer to our C/Back issues.
Personally don't think he is that good a defender.
But if that 8 mill price is true it's a no brainer.
Will be good back up when we eventually get a top C/Back.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

BootyDaddy 08 August, 2019 00:09
He is a quality player but has moments of madness that can cost goals. But at this stage of the window and seeing as we desperately need a CB, it would be a great signing.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Kalela 08 August, 2019 00:24
If he ends up here, I can't wait to watch when Arsenal is forced to field Luiz and Mustafi because of injuries. That will be entertaining. Also while I don't think he is what Arsenal need at least it is not Gary Cahill. That guy couldn't get a game ahead of Luiz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 00:32 by Kalela.

SuperRob 08 August, 2019 00:52
Can't decide either. Potentially a good stop gap signing and it weakens our direct rivals so I guess I'm in board if we can't get any of our first choice signings this window.

Ares 08 August, 2019 02:25
Might be better value to give Mkhitaryan a go at CB

CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 03:28
Not a fan of side show bob. But he is quick which is a plus over chambers and holding. Has the same nos of mistakes in him as mustafi so will cost goals every now and then

younghansolo 08 August, 2019 06:51
With us signing Saliba, I don’t see why we didn’t go for Cahill on a one yet deal instead. He was free and would be fine for a year until Saliba joins us.

MattySadler 08 August, 2019 07:28
I was pretty underwhelmed at this initially because it is a stop-gap signing and doesn't really fit the profile of player we are/ should be going for...

But if the alternative is not saying any centre backs then stop-gap away.

Flava 08 August, 2019 08:32
I don’t think we’re in a position to turn our nose up at him. Chelsea conceded 12 goals less than us last season. He’s a Premier League winner and has great physicality. Good distributor of the ball as well so could help negate the need for some of Xhaka’s plus points and we’d like to see him out of the team I’m sure.

Yes, we’d have liked better but am happy with this on the whole. We’ve had a great window but hadn’t addressed the CB position. A decent stop gap until next season.

Someone mentioned Cahill, he played 26 minutes of Premier League football last season. I’m assuming there was a reason for that.

goonerred 08 August, 2019 08:53
On another note, Chelsea are our rivals and it would severely weaken them as they can't buy anyone in.

djarse 08 August, 2019 09:20
Presumably Emery sees the long-term central defence option being Saliba and Holding and Luiz & Sokratis the old hands to help prepare them

Padre Pio 08 August, 2019 09:45
I suspect Tierney will be spending time at CB as well. Luiz really looks like its on

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 11:19
Quote:
Padre Pio
I suspect Tierney will be spending time at CB as well. Luiz really looks like its on
Tierney is a shade better than Kolasinac defensively. Seen him diving in, lose his markers, etc.. He's like gibbs but better on the ball and offensively. I would put monreal at CB before kieran

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 11:42 by CazOnARola.

mapleleafgooner 08 August, 2019 12:37
Not my first choice CD signing. Too casual on the ball. Prone to mistakes. We already have an error prone CD in Mustafi.

Boston Gooner 08 August, 2019 12:43
And he's a diver.

Flava 08 August, 2019 14:02
Quote:
Boston Gooner
And he's a diver.

Excellent another tick in the box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 14:03 by Flava.

Boston Gooner 08 August, 2019 14:13
Chelsea fans have flooded David Luiz’s restaurant with negative reviews . 😂😂

goonerred 08 August, 2019 14:51
Quote:
Boston Gooner
And he's a diver.
He won't get much joy from that with VAR.

djarse 08 August, 2019 14:55
According to one website, Luiz's attributes include this:

"During the 2018/19 season the Brazilian player came top of the list for the number of through balls played in the Premier League. The defender played 41, eight more than teammate Jorginho, who was second in the list."

Boston Gooner 08 August, 2019 15:29
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
And he's a diver.
He won't get much joy from that with VAR.
And so he shouldn't.

MattySadler 08 August, 2019 16:31
Quote:
Flava
Good distributor of the ball as well so could help negate the need for some of Xhaka’s plus points and we’d like to see him out of the team I’m sure.

This is very true.

Merlion96 08 August, 2019 17:16
No official announcement yet.
David Luiz coming or still at Chelski?

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Boston Gooner 08 August, 2019 17:45
It hasn't happened.

CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 17:52
Damn, i thought he had a medical

Boston Gooner 08 August, 2019 17:54
Personal terms holding it up.

Bergmars 08 August, 2019 19:52
The ghost of Wenger strikes

Under new managment

Gunnersingh1 08 August, 2019 19:58
It's done.

tigerline 08 August, 2019 20:01
Is it too soon to start worrying that this whole business was a scam? ... a ruse in which Luiz, Lampard, and Chelsea all duped us into thinking that there had been this dust-up and that Luiz was begging to leave.

Were we deceived into NOT filling our gaping hole at CB in this window while Luiz goes waltzing back to Stamford Bridge?

Never mind!!!
LOL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 20:02 by tigerline.

AJ The Gunner 08 August, 2019 22:08
I never liked this guy in Chelsea 😒 now he is an old Gunner. I can't process how I feel about this at all.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Boston Gooner 08 August, 2019 22:48
Just a fill in .
Hopefully come January or next summer we will be signing a top quality C/Back.

plonky 08 August, 2019 23:49
This smells like the William Gallas transfer, I hope it ends better.

mapleleafgooner 09 August, 2019 00:36
I can see him, Guendouzi and Aubameyang partying it up.

younghansolo 09 August, 2019 04:53
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Just a fill in .

We already signed one, we just sent him back on loan

litmus 09 August, 2019 05:17
Come on guys, we weren't getting Upemacano this window, so 8 mil for Luiz is a great deal. After losing Koscielny who has probably made lots more mistakes in the past few seasons, this was a purchase that needed to be made. Luiz was a key reason Chelsea won the title when Conte reverted to 3 at the back after the 3-0 loss to us. I don't think Luiz is as bad as some of us make him out to be. Against us, he gave us a lot of problems offensively and defensively. And he fits the profile of a ball playing defender that Unai likes. And he is an offensive threat to even at set pieces. At least this might keep Mustafi out of the team in most of the key games. Papa and him might actually be a good solid CB pairing.

Merlion96 09 August, 2019 06:17
thumbs down
Not forgetting his cannonball-like shop during freekick.

Boston Gooner 09 August, 2019 08:59
Quote:
younghansolo
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Just a fill in .

We already signed one, we just sent him back on loan

He will still need a top C/Back to play alongside.

SandyB 09 August, 2019 13:14
I think he can still do the job.

Bergmars 09 August, 2019 19:43
8 mill no brainer prem experienced good in the air at both ends and will lead.

Under new managment

CazOnARola 09 August, 2019 20:12
Quote:
SandyB
I think he can still do the job.
Yep. Plus way better on the ball than anyone in defense.

Can also turn faster than xhaka with the ball of he needs to.

Flava 09 August, 2019 22:31
And if Holding comes back and looks decent Luiz could do a job in midfield at a push, he’s played there before

Willy 11 August, 2019 00:54
He looks like Xhaka but with quicker feet and tackling. Shame he’s so much older than the Swiss. Can’t wait to see Luiz pinging our balls to the wings and slotting in runners. Not to mention another option on free kicks. The strength of our team is going forward so he’s a good fit (all in theory until he plays)

SuperRob 11 August, 2019 17:57
Chelsea look like they could do with him right now

goonerred 11 August, 2019 18:14
I was hoping Chelsea would win this, out of the two teams I think Chelsea will fade with their transfer ban and losing Hazard. They've made United look good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net