Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

How far away from top 4 ?
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 07 August, 2019 14:47
How far away from top 4 ?
Boston Gooner 07 August, 2019 14:47
A fullback and a top C/Back.
Not sure Rugani would be the answer to C/back position.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Re: How far away from top 4 ?
SA-Gunner 07 August, 2019 17:36
Luiz would be a much better signing than Rugani. Juventud are desperate to get rid of him, guy can't defend to save his life.

Boston Gooner 07 August, 2019 17:58
Not convinced Luiz can defend either.
Considering Chelsea aren't allowed to sign anyone just shows what they think of him if they let him go.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

SuperRob 07 August, 2019 18:34
Neither Luiz nor Rugani would start many games for us anyway. Both would be backup options to come in against lesser opposition. Was hoping we'd sign a centre back who would be an automatic starter but seems like that will have to wait until next summer

Gooner Sod 07 August, 2019 19:22
Quote:
Boston Gooner
A fullback and a top C/Back.
Not sure Rugani would be the answer to C/back position.

We can get top4 with our current players, we were only 1pt away last season. All the teams are poor except the Top2.

Chelsea are significantly weaker with Hazard gone, unproven Lampard in & a transfer ban. They will be overachieving if they get top4.

Spurs signed what looks like a top CM but are losing Ericksen & the top players they are linked to are rejecting them as of now. They aren't significantly stronger.

Man Utd have an unhappy Pogba and no striker that has scored over 15goals in a season with Lukaku leaving. Stengthened defence but also lost a decent midfielder in Herrera.

We lost Ramsey but replaced him with Cebellos, got a top signing in Pepe & a lot of promising youth players coming in. Our major weakness is the defence. If we buy decent players there then we should be favourites for 3rd imo.
But even without that we'd be in running for Top4 mainly because our rivals aint that good.

It looks like there will still be a massive gap to Liverpool & Man City unfortunately which should be our ultimate aim.

SuperRob 07 August, 2019 21:47
I think Willock and Nelson will also have big seasons and they are massive upgrades in terms of providing squad depth over what we had last season.

The biggest difference between last season and this season is that we now have much better depth in almost every area. Last season it felt like we had 14 players who were good and the rest were way below standard. Now it feels like we have 19 or 20 who are able to come in without weakening the team too much.

goonerred 08 August, 2019 08:54
Quote:
SuperRob
I think Willock and Nelson will also have big seasons and they are massive upgrades in terms of providing squad depth over what we had last season.
The biggest difference between last season and this season is that we now have much better depth in almost every area. Last season it felt like we had 14 players who were good and the rest were way below standard. Now it feels like we have 19 or 20 who are able to come in without weakening the team too much.
14, really?

younghansolo 08 August, 2019 09:20
We should make top four in my opinion. But if we don’t the manager must go. He’s had time after this season to buy players and to put his ideas into practice.

There’s no more room for excuses.

Gooner Sod 08 August, 2019 09:53
Quote:
younghansolo
We should make top four in my opinion. But if we don’t the manager must go. He’s had time after this season to buy players and to put his ideas into practice.

With the business done this window and comparing to Man Utd and Chelsea. I think it's a fair judgement that Emery must go if he doesn't make top 4.

Klopp and Pep will be close to challenging to the league with these set of players in my opinion.

CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 11:23
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
younghansolo

With the business done this window and comparing to Man Utd and Chelsea. I think it's a fair judgement that Emery must go if he doesn't make top 4.

Klopp and Pep will be close to challenging to the league with these set of players in my opinion.
Nope no way. Klopp has amazing physical players. He inherited 150mn Coutinho. And smartly used the fund to buy Van dijk and co.

Guardiola just buys the league wherever he goes. His tiki taka worked in the CL because he had Messi to score impossible goals when great teams parked the bus to render xavi iniesta ineffective.

I would put klopp above Guardiola until guardiola can win without two sets of 11 which he has been doing since bayern

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 11:24 by CazOnARola.

CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 11:32
On the topic, id like to see an improvement in the points tally and our weaknesses away from home. Nothing is guaranteed in today's day and age. If pepe breaks down and is out for the season with a cruciate break in the first game, that's 70mn down the drain as far as 2019 is concerned and would put us back to the same first team without ramsey. Would u still blame emery? Maybe.

But id' like to make an assessment after all the events unfold. I won't base it just on whether we finish 4th or 5th.

E.g.if we are 15 point clear at the top of the league by dec end and end up coming second by May, based on whose fault it is (tactics or injuries) , i would fire emery.

This target "top 4" mentality is what got us into the mess.

I will judge emery on his tactics, how he responds to difficulties, squad management, player management, and of course final league standing.

But final league position alone should not be the criteria, there needs to be objective judgment.

If he plays elneny at CM in a must win game at home against palace to rest his players for the europa league and ends up losing again, he's got to go. U can't keep repeating mistakes. But if he learns and improves substantially , i have more time for him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 11:35 by CazOnARola.

Merlion96 09 August, 2019 02:31
Guys, we should start looking at team-work and whether Emery had melded those players into a compact unit that can play possession football, quick passing and high tempo pressing game like what he wanted them to play.

We can score and likely to improve on the 73 league goals scored last season.

Benchmark is not to ship in more than 40 league goals and we are there as Top-4 and perhaps fighting for 2nd and 3rd as well.

Last season, Back-4 virtually had no shield with Torreira off-the-boil from November onwards.

This season, we have a more than decent midfield squad to choose from to support Ozil as our main creative play-maker:
- Ceballos
- Xhaka
- Torreira
- Guendouzi
- Willock

And even Chambers or Luiz cna play DCM at a pinch.

With Luiz, you have a player who is quick in transition from defence to counter-attack and his visionary long passes are exactly what Pepe, Aubameyang and lacazette thrive on.

Ozil, Ceballos, Xhaka and Luiz - those are the players that can play accurate through balls or lob that suits Aubameyang and Pepe off-the-shoulder, behind defenders and gaps to suit their pace and quickness off the ball.

I hope to see more quick one-two in the box with Lacazette strength in holding the ball and Aubameyang's quick feet and instinctive spin to create a yar dof shooting space in an instance.

Emery has all the ingredients to challenge even for the title if he can build a compact team that has telegraphic understanding for this season.

Like a long-distance runner, perhaps this season is where Ozil gets his 2nd wind to play as he can with a potent Forward-3 and a combative pair riding shot-guard behind him.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net