Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Holding making comeback for U23s
Discussion started by Boston Gooner , 03 August, 2019 14:12
Holding making comeback for U23s
Boston Gooner 03 August, 2019 14:12
Rob Holding is edging closer to a first team return .Playing for Arsenal’s under-23s in a friendly against a Watford XI at London Colney this afternoon.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Re: Holding making comeback for U23s
goonerred 03 August, 2019 14:32
It will be good to have another option, but I don't rate holding much.

Boston Gooner 03 August, 2019 16:15
Played 60 minutes for Arsenal’s under-23s as they beat a Watford XI 6-1 in a behind-closed-doors friendly at London Colney this afternoon.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Padre Pio 03 August, 2019 16:18
I thought Holding was superb in the few matches up to being injured, aftet his injury we lost a momentum that we never recovered. I think he gave the defence a shape and steadiness

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

MattySadler 03 August, 2019 16:26
Could be back as soon as the first international break. Great if true but don't rush him back!

goonerred 03 August, 2019 16:30
Quote:
MattySadler
Could be back as soon as the first international break. Great if true but don't rush him back!
When is that?

CazOnARola 03 August, 2019 18:07
Decent in a back 3 which is what we are playing for a while with him with emery switching to a back 4 when we went down a goal of two. We need some pace as we most likely are gonna play a back 4 with the amount of midfielders and forwards we have bought.

Sokratis is fine. Kos used to be quick. Chambers is too slow followed by holding so it's slightly quicker than chambers but nothing like the CBs of other teams or even Sokratis.

Holding all always get done one v one vs Mane like he had been done a few times

goonerred 03 August, 2019 18:13
Quote:
Padre Pio
I thought Holding was superb in the few matches up to being injured, aftet his injury we lost a momentum that we never recovered. I think he gave the defence a shape and steadiness
I think we lost Bellerin, somebody else and had a couple of suspensions around the time he got injured,so it's hard to tell.

mapleleafgooner 03 August, 2019 23:36
Quote:
CazOnARola

Most defenders get burned by Mane 1 v 1. Not just Holding. And I won't count on Bellerin. He is more interested in his fashion career.

Kalela 04 August, 2019 01:37
Awesome news. He may not be the best defender in the league but he is one of the better ones on this team. I hope they don't bring him back too soon and reinjur him in the process.

CazOnARola 04 August, 2019 04:49
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
CazOnARola

Most defenders get burned by Mane 1 v 1. Not just Holding. And I won't count on Bellerin. He is more interested in his fashion career.
Its different to get burned and different to just stay back and let him go do what he wants because you know he doesn't even have to have the ball in control to go past you, he can just push the ball an run past you requiring 0 touches. This would apply to any speed merchant, not Mane who is exceptional and not just a speed merchant.

Bellerin is done as far as im concerned. His recovery pace is no longer what it it used to be and after doing his cruciate, he will go down further. But AMN is also not the answer, so we have no choice but to rely on Hector. I want holding back, like kalela says, he's better than mustafi and chambers.
But long term i dont see him working in a back 4.

He's good if we play a back 3 and he has a sweeper to cover for his lack of pace

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2019 04:53 by CazOnARola.

Padre Pio 04 August, 2019 17:38
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Padre Pio
I think we lost Bellerin, somebody else and had a couple of suspensions around the time he got injured,so it's hard to tell.
It was Holding who kept Mustafi in the right position, and helped discipline the back four. True Bellerin was a miss, but he was often more up the other end than Holding was.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Flava 04 August, 2019 18:09
Holding was good last season.

As for the dislike for Bellerin I don’t get that at all. He’s quality and our best RB by a mile

CazOnARola 04 August, 2019 21:08
Our best doesn't mean much these days. He will walk back into the team because his competition is a guy who never played RB before last season and Jenkinson.
As for holding, his competition is mustafi and chambers.

Chambers positioning horrible on the suarez goal.

We need the new CB before we get that new LB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net