Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Kieran Tierney
Discussion started by djarse , 22 June, 2019 20:52
Kieran Tierney
djarse 22 June, 2019 20:52
May be on his way:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Kieran Tierney
Boston Gooner 22 June, 2019 22:56
15 Mill plus a penny then.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Kalela 23 June, 2019 02:09
I can't say I have watched him play but going by Youtube highlights he looks good going forward. The way he appears to get the ball into the box consistently I think Aubamayang and Lacazette would really like playing with him. He is not a midget either and has good pace. Does anyone know what he is like defensively?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/06/2019 08:50 by Kalela.

SuperRob 24 June, 2019 07:30
Hoping this means we are selling kolasinac.

Padre Pio 24 June, 2019 12:57
Scottish premier probably as good as lower half champions league

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Boston Gooner 30 June, 2019 12:54
Tam McManus has claimed on Twitter that Kieran Tierney's departure from Celtic's training base in Austria is in no way linked to a potential move to Arsenal.

The Gunners have already seen two bids rejected by Celtic for the 22-year-old defender, the latest of which was £17.5 million [The Sun].

Hoops boss Neil Lennon confirmed on Saturday that Tierney had returned to Scotland to 'finish off his rehab' after struggling with a hip problem for much of last season.

Flava 01 July, 2019 08:27
Some reports that this is now done subject to a medical. These reports were from Twitter so should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Kalela 02 July, 2019 15:24
His teammate, Kristoffer Ajer, is highly rated ball playing giant center back. Maybe Arsenal should go for him as well. Does anyone on this site watch that league and would you say Kristoffer Ajer is a good defender?

Shane 02 July, 2019 21:31
I watch Celtic and Rangers every week for work and yes, Ajer is brilliant and will be a Premier League player this time next year.

MattySadler 02 July, 2019 22:09
Great offensively though unsure how he'd do defensively in the Premier League. Best case scenario he can be our Andy Robertson, worst case scenario he is an improvement on our current left back options.

Monreal has been regressing for two seasons now and last season was pretty poor, and Kolasinac just has so many flaws and limitations that the few good points he does have can't make up for them over the course of a long season.

If we do sign Tierney we can get rid of one of them. I'd keep Monreal as he is old and has no resale value, but he can play LB/ LCB, is a better defender than Kolasinac, is on lower wages than Kolasinac, and will go for free at the end of next season without any hassle, while Kolasinac is very limited, but is younger with some resale value which we could put towards other signings, plus he is on big wages.

litmus 08 July, 2019 08:21
Can I now do a "I told you so.../I was the first to call him out" like a certain other AT member here since I been sounding out Tierney a few seasons ago?

Boston Gooner 14 July, 2019 23:36
Celtic have rejected Arsenal's latest bid for left-back Kieran Tierney, Sky Sports News understands.

Arsenal's offer was worth in the region of £25m but it is understood Celtic were unhappy with the structure of the bid and want more cash upfront rather than in add-ons.

The Scottish champions are reluctant to sell their top asset unless the deal meets their valuation.

Sky Sports News understands that Serie A side Napoli remain interested in a deal for the Scotland international.

Tierney, who is under contract until 2023, was restricted to 21 league appearances for Celtic due to a hernia problem. The 22-year-old is currently recovering from surgery.

CazOnARola 15 July, 2019 02:21
Currently recovering from surgery. Hmm probably will fetch a lot more money if he was fully fit last season

Flava 15 July, 2019 12:10
Time to move on, I'm sure we have aback up target [:wor kid:]

Bergmars 15 July, 2019 16:44
[quote Flava]Time to move on, I'm sure we have aback up target [:wor kid:][/quote
Yes agreed

Under new managment

Bergmars 15 July, 2019 17:51
[quote Flava]Time to move on, I'm sure we have aback up target [:wor kid:][/quote
Yes agreed

Under new managment

Shane 15 July, 2019 22:55
If we sign this kid, I'd like it known to you English lads that his name is pronounced tier-knee. It's not tee-air-knee, or tee-ernie, or tare-knee, or Ter-knee, or tier-nay. I can't even remember what Shaka Hislop called him, but it's tier-knee.

Kieran tier-knee.

litmus 16 July, 2019 03:47
Quote:
Shane
If we sign this kid, I'd like it known to you English lads that his name is pronounced tier-knee. It's not tee-air-knee, or tee-ernie, or tare-knee, or Ter-knee, or tier-nay. I can't even remember what Shaka Hislop called him, but it's tier-knee.
Kieran tier-knee.

Don't know about Hislop, but I have always only heard people including my Arsenal supporting family and friends say his name correctly even from past years - "Tier-knee". That's the most natural pronunciation.

Boston Gooner 17 July, 2019 10:54
Not saying we should have got him but Atletico Madrid have agreed a £21.7m deal with Tottenham to sign Kieran Trippier, Sky Sports News understands.

Tierney costs more & his he any better ?

Padre Pio 17 July, 2019 13:57
Is he fit?

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Boston Gooner 17 July, 2019 16:12
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Not saying we should have got him but Atletico Madrid have agreed a £21.7m deal with Tottenham to sign Kieran Trippier, Sky Sports News understands.
Tierney costs more & his he any better ?

If he had a broken back the deal would have been done now.

djarse 17 July, 2019 16:58
I think the real comparison is with Wan-Bissaka. Much as I like him, there is no way Tierney's price is only half his £50m

MattySadler 24 July, 2019 06:16
Reports yesterday that we've walked away from negotiations with Celtic over signing Tierney.

I hope this is either a negotiation tactic or we have someone else lined up, because Monreal has been finished for a while now and Kolasinac is awful.

We have also been linked with Alex Telles again, but I think Tierney is better.

BootyDaddy 24 July, 2019 16:42
In that response to the open #wecaredoyou letter, Josh Kroenke stated we were 'agressivly pursuing our transfer targets.

Yes Josh very evident after haggling over Kieran Tierney for the best part of a month only to walk away from the deal because Celtic wouldn't settle for structured payments.

W.anker.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Flava 24 July, 2019 17:42
I have no idea how Juventus do it because they are supposed to have negotiated 5 annual payments of £13m for De Ligt

SuperRob 24 July, 2019 18:18
All transfer "fees" are paid over several years. The thing Celtic don't like is the amount we want to pay in add-ons that is dependent on appearances and us qualifying for the champions league next season.

It makes sense to negotiate hard when you have a limited budget. They have 2 more weeks to make something happen. Let's see if they can pull it off or if their tactics backfire.

BootyDaddy 24 July, 2019 20:05
We’ve ‘negotiated hard’ for years and its cost us. We could have had Luis Suarez up front FFS if we didn’t insult Liverpool by putting a quid on the £40m bid.

Over clubs get their business done even if they have to pay a couple more mil for the good of the team. We on the other hand haggle and dither in the market and the majority of the time end up with either second rate players or f.uck all.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

tigerline 24 July, 2019 20:10
Quote:
BootyDaddy
We’ve ‘negotiated hard’ for years and its cost us. We could have had Luis Suarez up front FFS if we didn’t insult Liverpool by putting a quid on the £40m bid.
Over clubs get their business done even if they have to pay a couple more mil for the good of the team. We on the other hand haggle and dither in the market and the majority of the time end up with either second rate players or f.uck all.

And then Bottling becomes part of the Arsenal Team ethos.

CazOnARola 25 July, 2019 09:59
Wenger or not, this clearly is a policy of the club and the owner. I don't think emery is the one haggling. @#$%& kronke and his cronies

SuperRob 25 July, 2019 12:01
So hypothetical situation:

We want Tierney and Zaha

We have £65m to spend. Spending any more will result in breaking FFP and risking a UEFA ban.

We know that Palace want £50m plus players for Zaha and Celtic want £25m for Tierney

There are still several weeks left of the transfer window in which to get the deals done.

Would you

a) Just spend £25m on Tierney and give up on Zaha
b) Just spend £50m on Zaha and give up on Tierney
c) Try and negotiate with both Celtic and Palace to accept lower offers or a staggered payment structure.

djarse 25 July, 2019 12:13
Depends if we can sell some of our own players - Jenkinson, Mustafi, Elneny and/or loan them or others (inc Chambers, Smith-Rowe) - to reduce the wages budget and increase our transfer fund

Gooner Sod 25 July, 2019 12:38
Quote:
djarse
Depends if we can sell some of our own players - Jenkinson, Mustafi, Elneny and/or loan them or others (inc Chambers, Smith-Rowe) - to reduce the wages budget and increase our transfer fund

I agree, the main problem is we are useless at selling the players we don't need anymore so we basically can't increase our transfer budget.

Beilik, Kolasinac, Mustafi, Jenkinson, Koseilny, Chambers all have some value and another club would raise over £60m from those players by being proactive in telling them they have no future.

This will have minimal effect on current squad as the only player that could make a sizeable contribution is Kolasinac but he's being replaced.

This will then give us the money to buy a decent CB, Tierney & Zaha/Everton. And there will be an optimistic mood from the fans again.

But alas, this is Arsenal and we'll most likely only get Tierney over the line and keep all the deadwoods.

djarse 25 July, 2019 13:13
We have already offloaded this lot:

Ospina, Cech, Lichsteiner, Pleguezuelo, Bramall, Gilmour, Suarez, Wellbeck, Ramsey

I think its very likely Koscielny & Bielik will go and maybe Jenkinson

The real prize would be to get rid of Mustafi and Mikhtaryan- that would release significant funds.

Gooner Sod 25 July, 2019 13:45
Quote:
djarse
We have already offloaded this lot:
Ospina, Cech, Lichsteiner, Pleguezuelo, Bramall, Gilmour, Suarez, Wellbeck, Ramsey

I think its very likely Koscielny & Bielik will go and maybe Jenkinson

The real prize would be to get rid of Mustafi and Mikhtaryan- that would release significant funds.

All those players left on a free except spina right? So we've reduced our wage bill significantly but have not brought much transfer funds in.

That's the problem, we never seem to sell unwanted/contract expiring players for decent money. We did well getting £40m for Ox, but that's about all i can think of recently.

CazOnARola 25 July, 2019 13:52
Yep. That's cause we always try to wait till the end. Mustafi i think would have takers if we really wanted him home. Kos wants to buy out the last year but we dont have any money left to buy someone half as decent if he goes so we are not letting him leave. Only players that we can sell without risking too much is xhaka/elneny. If we sell Jenkinson then we don't have cover for AMN without having to buy another RB. We clearly dont trust the Academy full backs.

So thats that, if caballos really can play as an 8, then he is a decent cover for torreira. And we should sell xhaka and force elneny out somehow

Gooner Sod 25 July, 2019 16:27
Quote:
CazOnARola
Yep. That's cause we always try to wait till the end. Mustafi i think would have takers if we really wanted him home. Kos wants to buy out the last year but we dont have any money left to buy someone half as decent if he goes so we are not letting him leave. Only players that we can sell without risking too much is xhaka/elneny. If we sell Jenkinson then we don't have cover for AMN without having to buy another RB. We clearly dont trust the Academy full backs.
So thats that, if caballos really can play as an 8, then he is a decent cover for torreira. And we should sell xhaka and force elneny out somehow

Mustafi deffo has takers but for some reason the club likes him. Kos will go for <£5m when we cut out losses.

We can sell Jenko as Bellerin is back in full training & Chambers plays RB too. Emery doesn't seem to have faith in Jenko but i guess he doesn't want to take a paycut and leave his boyhood team.

I don't really see the point in selling Xhaka even as error prone as he is. He was still one of our best players last season. It Cabbellos was permanent deal then it would make more sense.

mapleleafgooner 25 July, 2019 16:49
We are missing a real deal maker in David Dein.

CazOnARola 25 July, 2019 20:12
I wouldn't talk about someone who has not done a deal for 20 years. We are missing mislintat. Our maybe it was a coincidence that we bought 5 decent players early last season. I would deem Sokratis, guendouzi, torreira and leno a success considering the expectations that were bought at. Leno is a two footed goal keeper. These days every team plays out from the back, even real Madrid was doing the same.

Anyway, we have been very slow and edus late arrival maybe the reason

MattySadler 25 July, 2019 20:40
Quote:
CazOnARola
I wouldn't talk about someone who has not done a deal for 20 years. We are missing mislintat. Our maybe it was a coincidence that we bought 5 decent players early last season. I would deem Sokratis, guendouzi, torreira and leno a success considering the expectations that were bought at. Leno is a two footed goal keeper. These days every team plays out from the back, even real Madrid was doing the same.

Anyway, we have been very slow and edus late arrival maybe the reason

Raul said in this evening's meeting that this window is down to them and Edu's job doesn't really begin till September.

I'd put the lack of progress in the transfer window down to our lack of money and need to negotiate our @#$%& off.

tigerline 25 July, 2019 20:46
Progress means getting rid of our deadwood.

CazOnARola 26 July, 2019 04:11
Quote:
tigerline
Progress means getting rid of our deadwood.
Deadwood doesn't want to leave. Terminating the contracts probably doesn't help at all. If zaha is 80mn then xhaka is worth at least 40. And manager seems to like him.

Only players that we could realistically sell is xhska, mustafi. Elneny doesn't want to leave arsenal and Jenkinson won't take a party cut (plus we don't have a bank up Rcool smiley.

Our real failure is that we couldn't get any defenders coming through the ranks to even act as back ups and had to convert AMN to a RB

MattySadler 26 July, 2019 19:14
Contrary to reports the other now, it is now being reported that a deal could be close. Let's hope so.

Boston Gooner 26 July, 2019 20:04
He'll end up here

tigerline 26 July, 2019 20:47
Quote:
Boston Gooner
He'll end up here

(Sm160)

CazOnARola 27 July, 2019 02:53
Quote:
tigerline
Quote:
Boston Gooner
He'll end up here

(Sm160)
Looks like that unless a new tracker comes up which didn't seem to be the car right now.

Also zaha probably won't happen now. Looks like Everton are interested.

Boston Gooner 03 August, 2019 11:25
Celtic manager Neil Lennon has revealed that Kieran Tierney's injury woes have yet to be solved and has discomfort when kicking a football.

The full-back is on the mend from a double hernia operation but has also been suffering from the joint complaint Osteitis pubis.

CazOnARola 03 August, 2019 13:50
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Celtic manager Neil Lennon has revealed that Kieran Tierney's injury woes have yet to be solved and has discomfort when kicking a football.
The full-back is on the mend from a double hernia operation but has also been suffering from the joint complaint Osteitis pubis.
Might as well look elsewhere with our injury record over the years. He sure as burrel isn't going to solve his injury problems with the team that handled cazorla

goonerred 03 August, 2019 14:01
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Might as well look elsewhere with our injury record over the years. He sure as burrel isn't going to solve his injury problems with the team that handled cazorla

Boston Gooner 03 August, 2019 14:07
Arsenal target Kieran Tierney could be out for eight weeks, with the Celtic defender feeling pain in his groin and stomach every time he kicks a ball

goonerred 03 August, 2019 14:11
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Arsenal target Kieran Tierney could be out for eight weeks, with the Celtic defender feeling pain in his groin and stomach every time he kicks a ball
Let's give him a miss then, it could be October or longer before we get anything decent out of him.

Boston Gooner 03 August, 2019 14:15
Agree if these reports are true.
We need somebody to step straight in.

CazOnARola 03 August, 2019 18:11
There is no clear impact injury with a definite recovery time. He has been struggling with similar issues all of last year and i wouldn't want this kind of players here. He looks to be on a the path of wilshere, Hargreaves and to an extent ramsey. Let's look at other options.

Sead and monreal aren't as bad as mustafi/chambers. We need that CB pronto

Padre Pio 03 August, 2019 19:05
Quote:
CazOnARola
There is no clear impact injury with a definite recovery time. He has been struggling with similar issues all of last year and i wouldn't want this kind of players here. He looks to be on a the path of wilshere, Hargreaves and to an extent ramsey. Let's look at other options.
Sead and monreal aren't as bad as mustafi/chambers. We need that CB pronto

I agree, he is also overpriced considering his physical state

SuperRob 03 August, 2019 20:44
He's played 40, 55 and 40 games for them in the last 3 seasons. Doesn't strike me as being the number of games that an injury prone player would play.

Ramsey played 32, 32 and 40
Kolasinac played 36 and 36 in his two seasons with us.
Xhaka who I regard as our most consistently available player (unfortunately) played 46, 48 and 40 in the last 3 seasons.

We should decide not to sign a player who can contribute for the next 4 years because he might miss a few weeks at the start of this season. Btw the mail copied the sun who reported he "could be out for anywhere between 3 and 8 weeks". Meaning they have no idea how long he will actually be out for but players with this injury are generally out for roughly this amount of time.

Kalela 04 August, 2019 03:05
Quote:
CazOnARola
Sead and monreal aren't as bad as mustafi/chambers.

Monreal is not bad and I don't even understand why he gets trashed on this site. He is not the best defender in the world but he is not awful either. Sead on the other hand is a catastrophe and just doesn't know to defend. He is only useful if he is playing as a wingback with 3 CBs at the back. While there is big need for a CB I believe the need for a left back is just as great. In fact I would rather see the kids played there than Sead when playing 2 CBs at the back.

CazOnARola 04 August, 2019 03:42
Quote:
SuperRob
He's played 40, 55 and 40 games for them in the last 3 seasons. Doesn't strike me as being the number of games that an injury prone player would play.
Ramsey played 32, 32 and 40
Kolasinac played 36 and 36 in his two seasons with us.
Xhaka who I regard as our most consistently available player (unfortunately) played 46, 48 and 40 in the last 3 seasons.

We should decide not to sign a player who can contribute for the next 4 years because he might miss a few weeks at the start of this season. Btw the mail copied the sun who reported he "could be out for anywhere between 3 and 8 weeks". Meaning they have no idea how long he will actually be out for but players with this injury are generally out for roughly this amount of time.
I had heard that he missed most of last year.
Left back is just about the only position in s football pitch where s little weaknesses won't cost you as much as anywhere on the pitch as long as the bloke can defend.
Tierney also looks great going forward by i fond him to be lunging into challenges like how mustafi did when he came here. Mustafi is much worse now then when he first joined.

All im saying is if the bosses have a clear idea of that injury and think it will not resurface in other parts of his body in terms of s muffle here and there then its fine.

We bought monreal for 11mn. He hardly gets his dues even in the press. I feel he is a much better full back then many so called top full backs, esp in his prime and his passing is unbelievable.

I'm sure we could find someone we like if we wanted to.

Finding a left back is not the same as finding the next gareth bale.

MattySadler 07 August, 2019 20:53
Fee agreed apparently. On his way to London for a medical.

Gooner Sod 07 August, 2019 20:58
Good news, hope he'll be fit soon.

MattySadler 07 August, 2019 21:09
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Good news, hope he'll be fit soon.

Read differing reports ranging from 1-2 weeks to 6-8 weeks. Hopefully the former.

Kalela 07 August, 2019 21:13
How do you perform a medical on a player who is already injured?

SuperRob 07 August, 2019 21:14
Neil lennon said it was closer to 2 weeks

djarse 07 August, 2019 22:22
Tierney deal agreed according to BBC:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Ares 08 August, 2019 02:29
Sensible haircut.

Looks a useful sort.

MattySadler 08 August, 2019 07:23
Improves the left back position but means we now have 3 "left backs" in the squad

SuperRob 08 August, 2019 07:58
Guessing Kolasinac will be sold in the next few weeks

CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 08:22
Monreal is a definite starter when we play 3 at the back. So yes Sead s days here might be numbered, provided we get luiz. Else i think emery might start monreal ahead of mustafi alongside Sokratis till holding returns

Boston Gooner 08 August, 2019 18:37
Tierney told the Arsenal website: "It feels great. I'm delighted to be here. Obviously I'm injured now, but I'm just looking forward to getting back on the pitch, training and getting involved with the squad.

CazOnARola 08 August, 2019 18:45
Yeah I'll be surprised if he starts a game before mid Oct

AJ The Gunner 08 August, 2019 22:09
I heard he is injured. Hmmmm.....

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

djarse 10 August, 2019 13:12
Apparently KIERAN TIERNEY’s start to life at Arsenal got underway in record-breaking style as the Scot managed to set new vertical jump height during his medical, breaking the mark previously reached by Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Should help with defensive work in our penalty area at set pieces:

[www.express.co.uk]

Bergmars 10 August, 2019 13:45
Quote:
djarse
Apparently KIERAN TIERNEY’s start to life at Arsenal got underway in record-breaking style as the Scot managed to set new vertical jump height during his medical, breaking the mark previously reached by Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Should help with defensive work in our penalty area at set pieces:
[www.express.co.uk]
And thats carrying a injury

Under new managment

Padre Pio 10 August, 2019 20:06
And I had Manx kipper to celebrate

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net