Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Van Persie
Discussion started by Shane , 27 May, 2019 10:42
Van Persie
Shane 27 May, 2019 10:42
What a player, lads.

He brought the curtain down on his career there the other week, after scoring 240 times in 485 games for our good selves, Man United and the Netherlands. What a player.

I loved his technique, his unique idiosyncrasies like the way he ran, or passed, or shot. He played like an alien and not because he's out of this world or something silly, but because he has these limp extraterrestrial hands which sort of hinge backwards so that his wrist bone is often facing the turf when he shoots, or mugs someone off with a bit of skill that worked when he was a child and still does, because he's that good at executing it. He treats the ball like he gave birth to it, much in the same way Bergkamp did.

In football they say don't lean back too far when shooting, because it makes it difficult to control the trajectory. The further you lean backwards, the higher it goes, and yet I swear we've seen him score free kicks with a body shape like Neo when he's dodging bullets. I remember Wenger pointing this out before, not the bit about The Matrix, but the way Van Persie can lean back limbo-like and maintain control over the flight of the ball.

And that volley at Charlton? I've watched this goal about 50 times just now and I still can't really understand how he managed it. If you pause it at the point of impact, he's in the air and both of his feet are WAIST-F*CKING-HIGH. There's no standing leg, which means it isn't even a volley, is it? He sort of jumps into Eboue's cross.

This was a Saturday 3pm game. I remember watching Live Score on BBC with my friend and we couldn't wait to see it because of how Martin Keown or Garth Crooks or whoever it was reacted to it.

Obviously injuries crippled him for a few years, but I think he came back in around November of 2010 or so, which was good because Chamakh had turned as sh*t as his hair, and I really don't think he stopped scoring until the day he left.

Eighteen months of goals, consistently. Every week. Bang-bang-bang-bang. I mean, we're talking Ronaldo and Messi numbers in the same time period, but his game had sort of been developed. He could still score a worldie, but they'd often be darting runs to the near post and flicked finishes with a right foot.

On the surface they looked like easier goals, which is technically true I guess, but the way he could chameleon himself into being a sort of fox-in-the-box striker, and such a fine one and so quickly, was an example of how versatile and well-rounded he was as a goalscorer.

He had much more strings to his bow than Henry for instance, which is why he finished his career as a midfielder. Once his legs went, so did the electricity which made him Thierry Henry, whereas Van Persie, at 35, has just come off an 18-goal season.

Maybe he's a Judas. Maybe he's not. Who cares at this point. What we can all probably agree on is that he's one of the most gifted footballers we'll see at Arsenal.

What a player.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2019 17:30 by Padre Pio.

Re: Van Persie
MattySadler 27 May, 2019 13:08
Agreed mate. Such a fantastic, unique footballer. Could score all types of goals and carried us for a few seasons.

Looking back now, knowing how things turned out, you can't really knock his reasons for leaving.

That level he was at between 2010 and 2013, for us and United, I just wonder what we could have achieved had we built a better squad around him...

Padre Pio 27 May, 2019 13:40
Its good to remember him he gave us many happy memories.
He was morally fearless on the pitch, when he stepped up for his penalty kick in the FA cup final against Man U he had never taken a pen at a top level match before. He was determined to smash it in as hard as he could. Style was far from his thoughts, but it looked bloody brilliant.
I dont blame him for leaving he was getting older and he wanted to win the league which Wenger was never going to do, plus the physical toll of being the lone striker was getting to him.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gunnersingh1 27 May, 2019 22:46
Henry was on another level to Van Persie. Henry could do everything Van Persie could and more!

Could Van Persie go past 3 or 4 players and score?

Henry had far better vision too, look at his assists record.

Henry is the best Prenier League player ever.

Boston Gooner 27 May, 2019 23:16
Ferk me GS you always have to change the topic.
People are only saying what a great player Van Persie was. (And he was)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Shane 27 May, 2019 23:21
In his defence, I did compare him to Henry a little. I think that's what he's probably responding to.

Boston Gooner 27 May, 2019 23:28
Quote:
Shane
In his defence, I did compare him to Henry a little. I think that's what he's probably responding to.

I will let him off then. (Sm160)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

younghansolo 28 May, 2019 12:42
|one of my all time favourite players. He could use both feet and his set peeve delivery was as good as anyone.

That freekick against bore (I think) is one of the best I've ever seen. Just incredible power and accuracy.
I wish we had never lost him,.

Bergmars 28 May, 2019 13:09
Up there with the invincibles shame we couldnt deliver what he wanted

Under new managment

goonerred 28 May, 2019 13:52
when he left I was really annoyed with him, one good season injury-free for us and he was off. He saw the writing on the wall though and knew he had to move to win a title as his career was coming to an end. They make shed loads of money, but the best of footballers want to retire having won the best trophies on offer if they can, can't blame them for that.Just hurt more that he went to United

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2019 13:53 by goonerred.

tigerline 28 May, 2019 14:37
RVP's frustration with wenger's intransigence mirrored my own.

RVP wanted to see a commitment to winning at Arsenal and he left only when it became clear that this was never going to happen under wenger and Kroenke.

Great player.
I was proud to have him in our squad.

litmus 28 May, 2019 14:40
They reason many of us hated him after he moved to United was because we all took him as our own. Him moving to United is like your girlfriend leaving you for your high shcool nemesis.
No one doubted his talent and contribution to our club. They are only a few players that the fans truly loved as our own. Henry, RvP and Cesc. Fans felt a certain bond with them, as they "grew" with us from young, RvP was 20 when he came, and moving to United broke our hearts.

As much as we disliked the move, many of us understood his reason to leave and that it made sense for him, but it still hurts.

younghansolo 28 May, 2019 16:48
The problem I still feel is I hear people referring to him as a united legend and all sorts. He had literally one good season at United then he pretty much retired after that.

But for us, he was here for years and we turned him into that player.

At the time I actually thought Wenger was right to get something for him if he wanted to go. He was categorically wrong selling him to united though. Giving him a guard of honour was disgusting.

However in hindsight, had we kept him for a year and he had then gone to united on a free he would have probably been a Sanchez or they would have been forced to find someone else.
Therefor ein the end, it's clear we should have just let him go for a free.

PKGooner 28 May, 2019 17:29
Quote:
younghansolo

However in hindsight, had we kept him for a year and he had then gone to united on a free he would have probably been a Sanchez or they would have been forced to find someone else.
Therefor ein the end, it's clear we should have just let him go for a free.

He wouldn't even have gone to United the season after because Ferguson retired.

Selling him to United was criminal. Single handedly won them the league.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net