Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

2019/20 Squad - what are Emery's priorities with only £40m?
Discussion started by Merlion96 , 17 May, 2019 16:21
2019/20 Squad - what are Emery's priorities with only £40m?
Merlion96 17 May, 2019 16:21
Face it, with at least £50m loss of income for missing out CL Cup, Silent Stan is not going to open his wallet especially he got a multi-billion dollar Inglewood stadium to pay off.

Arsenal Holding Limited is just a cash-cow for him to milk to finance his sporting empire.

Instruction to Unai Emery is similar to Arsene Wenger - self-sustainable with homegrown players to replace departing players.

The squad I see Unai Emery will have to operate with is as follows:

1. Leno
2. Martinez
#. A youth promoted as 3rd goalie. Unlikely Ospina will stay.

3. Bellerin
4. Maitland-Niles
#. A youth promoted as understudy - Tsei-Tutu?
#. Jenkinson - either release or sold

5. Sokratis
6. Koscielny - retain as squad member
#. Mustafi (may be sold to generate revenue to fund new buys)
7. Holding
8. Calum Chambers
#. Mavropanos - loan out or register as Under-21 player
9. Kystian Bielik

10. Kolasinac
#. Monreal - released
11. 11. buy new LB?

12. Guendouzi
13. Torreira
#. Elneny - most likely sold if there is a buyer
14. Xhaka - may be old if there is a buyer
15. Ozil - no way he will leave as he loves London too much
16. Mkhitaryan - his agent is suspended for a year by UEFA.
17. Priority is to buy a dribbler/winger
18. Priority is to buy a box-to-box ACM

18. Joe Willock

19. Aubameyang
20. Lacazette
21. Nketiah
22. Buy a 4th experienced striker on a cheap

23. Reiss Nelson
24. Smith-Rowe
25. Saka

This is more or less that Uani Emery cna offer to buy within his budget constraint:
1. £25m - LB
2. £40m - Dribbler/winger
3. £40m - box-to-box ACM
4. £25m - Experienced striker to replace Welbeck with Nketiah as the 4th striker.

That is, Unai Emery needs £130m - with £40m from Silent Stan and £90m generated from player sales.

Interesting to watch this summer how will Unai Emery generate the extra £90m by selling which players, and what are the bargains he will buy to rebuild this Arsene Wenger squad.

Mesut Ozil?
Mkhitaryan?
Why should they want to move earning such obscene salaries and all loving life in London?
AFter all, in 2 years time, they can move on a Bosman to any of the London club (or return to Europe), albeit earning less but still living it up in London.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Re: 2019/20 Squad - what are Emery's priorities with only £40m?
Merlion96 17 May, 2019 16:42
[www.goal.com]

Interesting.

Will Emery promotes Amaechi to senior squad and forgo buying a winger as he will be well-stock with dribblers like:
1 - Iwobi
2 - Reiss Nelson
3 - Saka
4 - Amaechi

No.9?
Why not let John-Jules as the 4th striker?
1 - Auba
2 - Laca
3 - Nketiah
4 - John-Jules?

Now, if either one or both decided not to sign the new contract extension, then Sanllehi will sell Aubameyang to PSG if there is bid and Lacazette to A. Madrid if a serious bid is table. Sanllehi will not allow players to run down their contract and leave on a Bosman.
It will be a nightmare situation if both Auba and Laca demanded 300,000pw to sign-on.

Padre Pio 17 May, 2019 18:36
If he can sell some dead wood the amount to spend goes up

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gooner Sod 17 May, 2019 20:49
The problem is Arsenal don't really have any valuable players we want to sell.

The only two we'll get decent money for that most fans won't mind leaving is Mustafi & Xhaka. But after losing Ramsey, it's not wise to sell Xhaka as we'd need to buy two quality mids rather than 1.

It's a shame Bellerin got injured. He's an asset that we could have sold for very good money and wouldn't miss that much with an astute replacement signing as we know AMN can also do a competent job there if required.

Padre Pio 18 May, 2019 16:06
Well we probably do want to sell Ozil, but his wages undermine that

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Shane 18 May, 2019 17:44
I don't think it'll be hard to get rid of Ozil. It doesn't make sense for Ozil, his people or Arsenal to just have him picking up £350,000-a-week for the next two years, contributing nothing to the team. It's so short-sighted because two years from now, when his contract is finished, he'll be nearly 33 and who's going touch him if he has another rotten two years? Nobody. He'll be a lepper and it'll be too late to accept a wage cut then.

If Ozil wants to continue playing football well into his 30s then he'll leave this summer, and I'm very confident he will, despite what his camp have said. If the right move came along, even for less money, he'll jump at it. The clubs know this too.

If I owned PSG or someone I'd have no qualms about bringing him in on £200,000 per week. He can go back to pulling strings for bigger names, getting praise when things go right and no criticism when sh*t hits the fan. That's how he likes it.

Merlion96 20 May, 2019 23:09
With Welbeck and Ramsey leaving, Ainsley Maitland-Niles now over 21 and Calum Chambers, Matt Macey and Emi Martinez returning from loan spells, there is set to be a significant reshuffle in Arsenal’s homegrown spots for the 2019/20 season.
To briefly explain the rule, you can only have a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players in your 25-man squad. This doesn’t include u21s (for next season that means players born on or after 1st January 1998), you can have as many as you want of those.

A homegrown player is someone who has been registered with an FA or FA Wales club for a period of three entire seasons before his 21st birthday. As a result, this is Arsenal’s list of homegrown players ahead of next season:
Hector Bellerin
Rob Holding
Deyan Iliev
Alex Iwobi
Carl Jenkinson
Emi Martinez
Ainsley Maitland-Niles
Calum Chambers
Matt Macey
Meanwhile, here’s Arsenal’s list of non-homegrown players (assuming Cohen Bramall and Stephan Lichtsteiner leave, as expected):

1 - Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
2 - Mohamed Elneny
3 - Sead Kolasinac
4 - Laurent Koscielny
5 -Alexandre Lacazette
6 - Bernd Leno
7 - Henrikh Mkhitaryan
8 - Nacho Monreal
9 - Shkodran Mustafi
10- Mesut Özil
11-Sokratis Papastathopoulos
12- Lucas Torreira
13- Granit Xhaka
14- David Ospina
15- Takuma Asano
16- Konstantinos Mavropanos

That means Arsenal can only make one non-homegrown signing before they run out of room. At that point, they’d have to sell (or leave a player in the reserves) before they could sign anyone new.
With a number of players on the homegrown list seemingly set to leave (Macey, Iliev, Jenkinson, Chambers), the Gunners definitely need to be looking into replacing them. Otherwise, their main squad list will reduce below the maximum of 25 for every homegrown player that leaves.
The club could just put faith in the u21s to fill those gaps, but Unai Emery has rarely done so with the academy players this season.

[dailycannon.com]

We have 16 no. foreign players and needed to sell before we can sign 2 or 3 more foreign players.
Look at how many deadwoods that needed to move.

Homegrown players?
There are 3 goalies there and most likely Deyan Iliev will be released.
Plus Emery may wish to save limited transfer funds by retaining Martinez as No. 2 and Macey as NO. 3.
But we needed to buy at least one experienced homegrown players.

goonerred 21 May, 2019 08:21
Quote:
Shane
I don't think it'll be hard to get rid of Ozil. It doesn't make sense for Ozil, his people or Arsenal to just have him picking up £350,000-a-week for the next two years, contributing nothing to the team. It's so short-sighted because two years from now, when his contract is finished, he'll be nearly 33 and who's going touch him if he has another rotten two years? Nobody. He'll be a lepper and it'll be too late to accept a wage cut then.
If Ozil wants to continue playing football well into his 30s then he'll leave this summer, and I'm very confident he will, despite what his camp have said. If the right move came along, even for less money, he'll jump at it. The clubs know this too.

If I owned PSG or someone I'd have no qualms about bringing him in on £200,000 per week. He can go back to pulling strings for bigger names, getting praise when things go right and no criticism when sh*t hits the fan. That's how he likes it.

I don't know, Ozil doesn't seem to be bothered about football. Why would he give up two more years of £350k a week? We're stuck with him, !t was such bad business, it's insane.

Shane 21 May, 2019 11:01
Quote:
goonerred
I don't know, Ozil doesn't seem to be bothered about football. Why would he give up two more years of £350k a week? We're stuck with him, !t was such bad business, it's insane.

Because he could go somewhere else and get £200,000-a-week over four years.

If he doesn't leave until 2021 and has two more years like the one he's just had, he's finished. He'll be 32 and untouchable, in a bad way.

Long term it makes much more sense for his bank account and his career to leave Arsenal now, and I think he will. I don't think he'll play for us again.

goonerred 21 May, 2019 11:35
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
goonerred

Because he could go somewhere else and get £200,000-a-week over four years.

If he doesn't leave until 2021 and has two more years like the one he's just had, he's finished. He'll be 32 and untouchable, in a bad way.

Long term it makes much more sense for his bank account and his career to leave Arsenal now, and I think he will. I don't think he'll play for us again.
It would be great if we could get him off the books. He might just stay with Arsenal then retire.

Padre Pio 21 May, 2019 19:36
I think thats a good point and perhaps a gleam of hope. Looks like Zidane is going to get tough with Bale on a similar income, apparently they cant afford it either

CazOnARola 22 May, 2019 02:41
Bale is on 600k not 350ksmiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net