football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

What future for our stand-out Academy players
djarse (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 13:12
Interesting article here:

[www.arsenalnews.co.uk]

What do you think Matty ?

Re: What future for our stand-out Academy players
younghansolo (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 16:12
Smith Rowe is the only one I think has Arsenal pedigree but I doubt even he will make it here.

Sad to say I think all of these players will disappear out of our memories very soon, at the very best they will make a name elsewhere.

I've seen too many great prospects come and go to be anything other than a pessimist about this.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 17:44
Iwobi is the only good squad player at best currently. I know he isn't an Academy player, but he still plays like one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 17:44 by CazOnARola.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 18:45
Quote:
djarse
Interesting article here:
[www.arsenalnews.co.uk]

What do you think Matty ?

Just off to 7aside. Will check it out when I'm home. Thanks.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 21:45
Quote:
CazOnARola
Iwobi is the only good squad player at best currently. I know he isn't an Academy player, but he still plays like one

Iwobi is s.hit mate.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

MattySadler (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 21:46
I was going to write a bit of a summer transfer plan for the forum and may still do.

Firstly Mavropanos. He's missed most of this season with an injury and when he has played he's looked understandably rusty. I agree with the article he is crying out for a loan move somewhere. Loan with a recall option in case we have a defensive injury crisis again like this season.

It is a really tricky one to call with the older academy lads because the likes of Nketiah, Willock and Nelson are clearly far above U23 football now, and Smith-Rowe, Saka and Amaechi, if not already above U23 football, are top performers at that level. The first 3 especially would clearly benefit more from playing 30+ first team games somewhere next season, but with our recent loan record we know there are no guarantees they'll get that out on loan.

We're losing Ramsey and will try to shift Elneny, so if we sign a CM to replace Ramsey that still leaves us 1 down, possibly making room for Willock. We don't really have any proper first team wingers and will only sign one this summer (two if we're lucky), meaning opportunities for Nelson, Saka, Amaechi and possibly Smith-Rowe. We're losing Welbeck and probably won't sign a first team forward, meaning we'll need Nketiah as third choice (I also think Nketiah's cameos against Wolves and Burnley prove he is ready for that).

I'd keep Nketiah, Willock, Nelson, Saka and Amaechi as squad players until at least January, then we can reevaluate. If they're in-and-around the first team we keep them, if not we can look to loan them out. His loan this season was a non-starter so I'd like to see Smith-Rowe go out again, and hopefully stay fit and play regularly.

Bielik is another tricky one because he has performed excellently all season, but has been playing at too low a level. At one point at least he was the top performing "defensive midfielder" in League One by quite some way. A bit like Chambers, I think it is well worth at least having a real good look at him over preseason, but if a good offer comes in we have to consider it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 21:47 by MattySadler.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 22:15
Who will be our 8 homegrown players (with 4 from our Academy) in our 25-man squad next season?

'It's kind of fun to do the impossible' Walt Disney.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 22:49
At the moment

1. Martinez
2. Iliev
3. Bellerin
4. Maitland-Niles
5. Jenkinson
6. Holding
7. Chambers
8. Iwobi

I believe we're still allowed to name some of our homegrown U21s to make up the quota if needed, though it would be good if we could sign a home grown player in the summer.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 03:15
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Quote:
CazOnARola

Iwobi is s.hit mate.

Good enough to play for us in efl, fa, initial stages of europa. At our current Lucero, we need first teamers which will make him a squad player. We don't have money to buy more home grown squad players when we cannot even buy first teamers

MattySadler (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 06:23
Us and a few other Prem clubs have been linked with Charlton's Joe Aribo, who'll be available for free, for a few months now.

10 goals and 5 assists in 37 games this season from midfield. He likes to drive forward with the ball and is a good passer, so could be a potential Ramsey replacement in some senses. I've seen Charlton fans on Twitter compare him to a League One Pogba.

Yes it is a gamble and there are no guarantees he'll make the step up, but adding another home grown player for a small compensation fee would be well worth the risk.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 22:11
Quote:
MattySadler
At the moment
1. Martinez
2. Iliev
3. Bellerin
4. Maitland-Niles
5. Jenkinson
6. Holding
7. Chambers
8. Iwobi

I believe we're still allowed to name some of our homegrown U21s to make up the quota if needed, though it would be good if we could sign a home grown player in the summer.

Apparently, we cannot name even 8 no. homegrown players for the UEL squad this season.

With a limited budget, Emery can only look for bargains to fill up his 2019/20 squad like:

1. Martinez (Academy) - 2nd choice goalie
2. Iwobi (Academy)
3. Maitland-Niles (Academy)
4. Reiss Nelson (Academy)
5. Bellerin
6. Holding
7. Chambers
8. Nketiah

9. Leno

10. Aubameyang
11. Lacazette
12. Sokratis
13. Guendouzi
14. Torreira

15. Kolasinac (we can't find a replacement Lcool smiley
16. Mkhitaryan (his agent is suspected for one year ban on transfer)
17. Ozil - he refused to move and prefer to see out his contract.
18. Xhaka - we don't have funds to replace him.
19. Koscielny - by far our best defender and valuable squad member.

20. ELneny - sell him
21. Jenkinson - sell him
22. Mustafi - sell him
23. Monreal - most likely leave on a Bosman
24. Vacant
25. Vacant

Wonder how are we going to fins at least 6 new players with 40-mil to spend?

For those Under-21 players in Bielik, Smith-Rowe, Willock, Saka, Amaechi, Medley, Tsei-TuTu, et al, how many of them will be retained (instead of going out on loan) and promoted to senior squad?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net