football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Brighton
MattySadler (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 18:49
Leno - 7. Did well aside from one heart in the mouth moment in the first half. Made a very good save to keep it at 1-1.

Lichtsteiner - 5. I'd quite enjoyed not seeing him in any match day squads for a few months. Caught miles out of position in the build up to Brighton's equaliser. Not good.
Mustafi - 6. Came close with a header in the first half.
Sokratis - 5. Bull in a china shop.
Monreal - 6. Tried getting forward and won our penalty via potentially dubious means... One moment of madness in the second half.

Xhaka - 3. Not only did he give away the penalty but his passing and set pieces were poor throughout.
Torreira - 6. Actually thought he battled hard today.

Mkhitaryan - 5. Appreciate the work rate but no signs of any real quality or end product. Messed up a simple pass which led to Brighton's equaliser.
Ozil - 4. Was he on the pitch?? Apparently he was captain today...
Aubameyang - 6. Scored a penalty. Tried to cause trouble with his pace. Missed a sitter.

Lacazette - 6. Worked hard but didn't get a great deal of service. Almost made a chance for himself spectacularly.

Subs:

Kolasinac - 5. Tried to add width but didn't do a great deal.
Iwobi - 3. Passing/ crossing were abysmal.
Guendouzi - 5. Immediate improvement on Xhaka.

Had more than enough opportunities to wrap the three points up today but we didn't take them and gifted Brighton an equaliser through more of our own stupidity. In the end we didn't play well at all.

Champions League qualification via the league is unlikely, but at the end of the day we all knew from our last two seasons under Wenger that we're miles away from where we want to be as a club. Five signings in the summer and a dodgy loan in the winter was never going to be enough. There is a lot of work still to be done. I'd feel more confident if I felt there was a strategy in place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2019 20:32 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Brighton
goonerred (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 19:04
Sh@@t, sh@@t and sh@@@ter

SuperRob (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 19:14
Choosing between Ozil and Xhaka to be captain pretty much sums up Arsenal right now.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 19:21
The manager deserves a kick today as well. Makes three subs when the force was with us. Completely disrupted the flow of the team. And brought on a defender when we had a striker on the bench.

There is no way we will win the Europa making decisions like that

MattySadler (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 19:22
On a positive note I thought Duffy, Dunk and Bissouma were all quality today.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 21:11
You know the longer the evening has gone the more and more angry I am about this match.

What a wasted opportunity. And I bet sours lose next week too.
We should all be livid because that was simply not good enough

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 21:29
Chelsea won't beat Leciester either!

MattySadler (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 22:10
Quote:
younghansolo
You know the longer the evening has gone the more and more angry I am about this match.
What a wasted opportunity. And I bet sours lose next week too.
We should all be livid because that was simply not good enough

You're right. Everton, Palace, Wolves, Leicester, Brighton. Should be beating all of them.

We were in the driving seat for third place and have fallen apart right at the end. It is infuriating but in truth I never expected us to be this close to the top four at the end of the season, given the previous two seasons and all the changes.

Unfortunately we have a squad full of players who are either old and past it, not good enough or both, plus we've been hit by some genuinely costly injuries at various points (Welbeck, Holding, Bellerin, Ramsey). It means we're working with a pretty small squad made up of many players who just aren't up to it.

There isn't an easy fix. United are proof that you can't just throw money at it either.

litmus (IP Logged)
06 May, 2019 02:10
Sell everyone and keep Auba, Laca, Leno and Torreira. Maybe Sokratis and Hector too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net