football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Watford
MattySadler (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 22:12
Leno - 8. Made two excellent saves in the first half and was a calming presence throughout. Really looking the part at the moment.

Mustafi - 7. Fine at right back and looked even better when he moved to RCB. Won one really brave header in the first half.
Mavropanos - 7. Nearly cost us when he lost out to Gray but was sound otherwise.
Koscielny - 7. Did well again.
Monreal - 7. Improvement on Thursday's performance.

Torreira - 5. Tried to put himself about but looked tired after Thursday's efforts. Got Deeney sent off.
Xhaka - 6. Passed the ball well but we were still overran.

Mkhitaryan - 3. No sign of him whatsoever in the first half. Second half he was poor and his shooting was woeful.
Ramsey - 5. Another who looked tired after Thursday's efforts.
Iwobi - 6. Frustrating at times but worked hard and created our best chance of the second half for Mkhitaryan.

Aubameyang - 6. Looked sharp in the first half. Great chasing down for the goal. Didn't see as much of him in the second half.

Subs:

Ozil - 5. Never really got into the game.
Guendouzi - 5. Tried to put himself about.
Maitland-Niles - 5. Made one excellent block.

After a mad two minutes where Aubameyang tackled Foster to score and Deeney was sent off after catching Torreira with a stray arm, you would've thought we'd have been comfortable, but it was anything but as Watford pushed us all of the way. Honestly it looked like we were the ones with a man sent off. Fortunately we hung on for a vital 3 points.

Had we not won today I wouldn't have felt confident about us finishing in the top four at all. However, after seeing the state of some of our players today (namely last Thursday's star men Torreira and Ramsey), I'm not as confident as I was about this Thursday...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2019 14:07 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Watford
SuperRob (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 22:39
Getting results any way that we can with plenty of rotation is going to be the key for the rest of the season.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 23:19
Leno man of the match sums it up.

Terrible performances from Mavropanos,Xhaka,Mkhitaryan,Ramsey & Iwobi.

We got away with this one.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 06:23
Gaaawful ... Napoli is wetting themselves knowing that they can put away at least 2 goals with those clear-cut chances presented to Watford yesterday.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

goonerred (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 07:03
I think 5 is too high for some of our players. 5 suggests average, most were below average. Leno is the only one who can get above 5 and I agree with 8. OK I'll give our defenders a 6, that's it. Iwobi loses points, no matter how much he huffs and puffs and gets himself into some good positions his final ball is woeful. Too many of our passes went astray, often when we were in good attacking positions, which then set up a Watford attack. Watford looked dangerous every time they attacked, more so than we did. We scored a fluky goal when they had 11 men and didn't really look like scoring when they had ten.

I just hope a two nil lead and the motivation of progressing in the cup is enough to spur them on against Napoli. Frankly, I'm not convinced, they were lacklustre against Everton and didn't know what to do when they got into the final third last night, that with a top 4 finish beckoning.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 10:03
I thought Iwobi played some good final balls, most of which were wasted by Mikhy

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

goonerred (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 10:55
Quote:
Padre Pio
I thought Iwobi played some good final balls, most of which were wasted by Mikhy
I remember him losing it quite a lot though.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 10:59
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Padre Pio
I remember him losing it quite a lot though.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 11:09
I'm seriously struggling to see how Mkhitaryan was ever player of the season in Germany.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

litmus (IP Logged)
18 April, 2019 07:37
Quote:
BootyDaddy
I'm seriously struggling to see how Mkhitaryan was ever player of the season in Germany.

Yup, he looks disinterested most times, a bit like Ozil. Brilliant in one game, then terrible in the other 2. Maybe he never quite fit in the the EPL. He was different class with Dortmund.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
18 April, 2019 07:51
Bloke has failed to produce at any consistent level since like 2015-16 so I'd rather not have him here on £180k a week personally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net