football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

A couple of observations from recent games
younghansolo (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 11:38
Kolasinac

There's something I really, really like about this guy. He's not the best defender by a long stretch but Monreal has been covering him really well.
But Saed has something I really enjoy. Just watch his standing position, it's always about 40 yards out hugging the wing and he's like a caged animal waiting for the ball. Always on the balls of his feet ready to do what he does best.
And what he does best is fairly dogmatic and simple, but bloody effective. He runs down the line, happy to beat players and always looking to fizz a low ball across the box with real venom. As a former left winger I bloody love watching this. And he does it with real aggression.
I thought we were signing an elephant looking to block everyone, but he's actually a panther poised to strike.

Ramsey

This one is fairly obvious, but boy has he been working hard for the team. It shows real professionalism to do what he's done. There's literally nothing in it for him other than to maybe show us what we are missing. But I don't think that's it. Watch him talk to our players, especially our younger ones. He wants Arsenal to win. I'll always remember him fondly for that. It's the exact opposite of Cesc.

Lacazette

How much does this guy remind you of Ian Wright. He's so industrious and just loves to strike with power. He's got finesse but he knows his real attributes are to use his raw aggression. It can cause him problems too such as his red card in the Europa, but generally It's great to see a striker who just likes putting wither foot through the ball. His confidence is sky high right now.

Aubameyang

He's another one who's not at all what I expected. I though he was Henry, he's not. He's more like Van Nistelrooy. He just loves scoring goals. At a technical level I'm not actually sure he's the best striker we have but he just knows where the goal is.
However, there was a moment against Newcastle where he darted down the wing though at incredible speed and it was with an aggression little seen in recent years. Theo was fast but tame, like a gazelle. Auba is a Cheetah.

He also shouldn't be taking penalties, even the one he scored was dreadful, even if he wasn't looking at the ball (which isn't impressive, it's stupid.)

Mustafi

It's not all good though. Mustafi is a disaster waiting to happen. He passes without looking or thinking and simply dives in. He hasn't evolved at all. In one game he'll time every tackle to perfection and get away with it. In another he'll be off.
Let's not talk about his crossing

Few other random observations:

I never want to see Guendouzi and Elneny on the field together again. It's like watching a couple of pensioners. Separately they're fine but together it's horrible.

Emery's passion is infectious. I loved watching him set up a free kick on the half way line against Newcastle and then shout "go" to watches gain yards like an NFL team and draw the table. The fact the players followed it shows they know he's the boss.

Ozil...What a player he is. I just love watching him with the ball. His brain works at twice the speed of anyone else, it's a shame it doesn't;t power his limbs sometimes to work harder.

Maitland Niles is ahead of Bellerin right now. He's a hard worker, he's crossing well, and he's liked by his team mates. Well done to the lad, because he's overcoming his weaknesses to forge a place for him.

Sokratis is the best defender we have had since Sol Campbell.

I actually like a lot of these lads. I'm rooting for them to succeed not just because of the badge. Well done to them and the manager for bringing that back. Because it has been gone for a long time and quite frankly it's in spite of the club hierarchy not because of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 12:34 by younghansolo.

Re: A couple of observations from recent games
mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 13:33
I agree on the part about Aubemeyang taking penalties. He is too casual for my liking trying to make taking penalty an art when it should just be about putting the ball into the net.

Re: A couple of observations from recent games
celine dion (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 18:37
Yes I like these players as well, but a lot of them are the same players as played under Wenger.

The difference is I didn't like them then because I disliked Wenger so much, and it reflected on the players. Because I always felt that their positivity and celebrations meant so little when they could be guaranteed to crumble in the usual way before long.

now we don't have that guarantee, we don't know what they can achieve, it paints them in a whole new light in my mind, we start to trust them when they talk up their game or celebrate after a good win, we start to believe in them as players.

In the past I tended to only believe in the players who were so clearly carrying the team like RVP or Sanchez.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net