football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

The Curious Cult of Sokratis - Klopp Quip
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 23:09
Brilliant article by Jonathan Liew

Watch out for Klopp Quip

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 23:11 by Padre Pio.

Re: The Curious Cult of Sokratis - Klopp Quip
tigerline (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 01:10
Great read.

I wish that Sokratis could impart some wisdom, or common sense even, into Mustafi the Moron.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 06:41
That is a great read and sums up my feelings for Sokratis perfectly.

Initially I thought we'd signed a dud because he looked so rusty and off the pace in pre-season, and didn't even start the actual season that well either, but since he has settled and emerged as our best defender by a long, long way. He is tough as hell, relishes a fight and loves defending. You can't help but feel pumped up when you see him throwing his fists up in the air celebrating a late tackle.

When was the last time we had that, a defender who loves to defend? I'm struggling to remember.

With all the speculation about who would replace Wenger, one of the key things really was we had to be somebody who was completely different from him. We'd had years and years of "we concentrate only on our own game", little thought for the opposition, coasting through games. We were soft and complacent. Emery is far from perfect, and we are still appalling defensively most of the time, but he is different enough from Wenger to give us the culture shock we obviously needed. We work harder, we run more, we actually try to maintain some sort of shape and discipline, and whilst we're far from perfect, you can see certain areas where there has been notable improvement, in terms of certain player's performances, certain team performances and results.

Sokratis encapsulates all of this pretty well. I feel he is completely different from what we became used to under Wenger. I couldn't imagine Wenger ever signing a Sokratis-type, regardless of how many pundits and fans called for it.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 12:13
I was gutted to realise he is 30 years old. He's been a real breath of fresh air but sadly won't be with us long term. He's already talking about going to America when his contract expires next year.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 13:52
Surely we signed him up first for longer?

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 14:03
Contract expires in 2021.
By then, hopefully, Holding and Mavropanos will step up to take over.

Not forgetting Bielik is known to throw his body in harm's way.

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 17:35
Quote:
Sokratis
"I weigh three kilos less than when I was in Dortmund and feel physically much stronger than in previous years...After eight months, I'm convinced that I've made the right decision with Arsenal."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net