football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Christopher Nkunku
MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 06:52
Following the collapse of talks between us and Barcelona over Denis Suarez, we're now pursuing a near-identical deal for PSG's Christopher Nkunku (loan + option to buy). Apparently the deal hinges on PSG getting another midfielder in.

He is a French youth international and has been a bit-part player for PSG over the last four years or so, though he played a fair bit under Emery despite being a youngsters in a star studded squad, so they know each other well.

I don't know a great deal about him first so I've done a bit of research for you all:

Although he classes himself as an out-and-out central midfielder, he is a versatile player, often used out wide and has even played RB on occasion. He said that he is inspired by Veratti who, though not the biggest, knows how to use his body. Apparently you can see that in his game, though he is said to have more dynamism than Veratti. He is said to play with his head up and looks to move the ball forward, either through passing or carrying the ball himself, and likes to quicken the tempo. His finishing isn't a strong point (sounds like Iwobi and Maitland-Niles rolled into one). Also says he used to watch Motta closely when he is young but is more of an attacking midfielder himself.

Could be an interesting one, but again like the Suarez deal, given our situation I think it makes sense for us to go down this route and take a look, rather than committing big money to something.

Re: Christopher Nkunku
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 09:18
Don't get why we need him. We need a wide player who can beat players or who can create, he doesn't really do either. He's a Ray Parlour type who drifts into the middle when playing wide. He's not a full back either.

Not good enough at the moment, and wont be much help this season.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 11:10
why not just the game time to the likes of Emile Smith Rowe. How else are they supposed to progress.

Instead of buying fringe players of a similar age, use the players we've been teaching the Arsenal way since they were ten. Makes me so angry

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:07
Quote:
younghansolo
why not just the game time to the likes of Emile Smith Rowe. How else are they supposed to progress.
Instead of buying fringe players of a similar age, use the players we've been teaching the Arsenal way since they were ten. Makes me so angry

I agree completely. Smith-Rowe has looked really impressive everytime he's played. We also have Saka who everyone is excited about. He's played Guendouzi so its not like he doesn't trust youngsters.

This is one thing Spurs do well and one of the reasons why they can maintain a decent level without spending big.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 17:17
Smith-Rowe is injured.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 17:48
Quote from L'Equipe:

"When Unai Emery was in charge of PSG, he was annoyed by a lack of desire to work hard, and a lack of humility, coming from youngsters at the club. Nkunku was considered an exception, Emery was impressed by the young man."

Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Not good enough at the moment, and wont be much help this season.

Maybe not, but could still be worth looking at him for half a season though, to see if he is worth investing in.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 23:52
Christopher Nkunku?

Then, Joe Willock, Charles Gilmour and Ben Sheaf have no future.
Apparently, Emery does not rate them when he is eyeing 21 year old Christopher Nkunku.

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 16:43
So apparently Ty Gooden, our chief scout in France, has watched him extensively over the last two years, and the original plan was for us to move for him in the summer. After hearing about his availability this month, we've been discussing a potential loan move with an option to buy, but that is dependent on PSG getting another midfielder in before the deadline.

If we don't sign him today, it sounds likely that we'll look at him again in the summer, where he'll be entering into the last year of his contract.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net