football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Mislintat
Bergmars (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 13:07
goes 8th February

Under new managment

Re: Mislintat
BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 13:18
Interesting to see what comes out of this, but I'd wager good money he'll be paid some silence money as part of his severance to not expose the shambles within the hierarchy of the club that made his job role pointless and untenable.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

younghansolo (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 13:28
Utter disgrace to let him go. Back to me not spending a penny on this Club now and illegally streaming the games.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 13:31
We really needed him if we were ever going to compete with the bigger spenders out there. I'm gutted.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 14:05
Shambles :-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/01/2019 14:05 by Gooner Sod.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 21:34
Just power-play between Sanllehi and Mislintat.

Sanllehi will now has a free hand to develop his extensive Latin American network and bring in the players he thinks we need … like another Real Madrid Perez.

Not sure good or bad.
Wait it out.

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

Kalela (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 05:15
Quote:
Merlion96
Sanllehi will now has a free hand to develop his extensive Latin American network and bring in the players he thinks we need [u][/u]… like another Real Madrid Perez.

Not sure good or bad.
Wait it out.

Won't getting those players work permits become an issue?

Dream acquisitions:

CB: Issa Diop
RB: Aaron Wan-Bissaka
DM: Franck Kessie/Yves Bissouma/Ndidi
Wing/Attack: Anton Rebic/Pepe

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 07:55
As I understand it Senllehi is a signer of players, not a finder of them. Its a power play alright clearly wanted Mislantat out as they dont want to spend

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 21:17
Quote:
Kalela
Quote:
Merlion96
Sanllehi will now has a free hand to develop his extensive Latin American network and bring in the players he thinks we need [u][/u]… like another Real Madrid Perez.

Not sure good or bad.
Wait it out.

Won't getting those players work permits become an issue?

I think Sanllehi is looking for those in the 24 to 27 year old range and work permit is not an issue if transfer fee is above a certain value.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 14:42
So Sven begins his final week at Arsenal.

I'm still gutted.

Even more so after how well Torreira and, in particular, Guendouzi, did yesterday.

That was going to be our way to compete.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:55
I believe it was Sanllehi + Emery versus Mislintat.

Perhaps Sanllehi previous network in Latin America and Emery Spanish Network will serve us better than Mislintat.

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 20:11
Quote:
Merlion96
I believe it was Sanllehi + Emery versus Mislintat.
Perhaps Sanllehi previous network in Latin America and Emery Spanish Network will serve us better than Mislintat.

This is my concern.

I may be wrong here, and I hope I am, but it sounds like Raul's contacts vs Sven's stats and data. To me that goes against what we need to be doing.

I don't work in football so I don't really know, understand or appreciate the benefits of the "contacts approach", but I'd guess that approach leads to signings like Lichtsteiner, for example, or Banega?

I know more about the stats and data approach from various pieces I've read.

The stats and data approach is what took a cash-strapped BvB side that was dropping down the league during the mid-to-late 00s, completely turned their fortunes around under the guidance of Zorc, Klopp and Mislintat and turned them into a title winning side and a force in European football. Its that approach that means they can afford to sell the likes of Aubameyang, Sokratis, Dembele, etc, and not look any worse.

Klopp still uses that approach with Liverpool. Forget the big money signings for a second, just look at Robertson!

Smart recruitment is why Southampton have survived despite ransacked for their players over and over again and still remained in the Premier League.

The stats and data approach is the reason Brentford are able to punch above their weight. For example, Brentford use xG stats heavily rather than actual goal stats, so they move for a better forward player (Andre Gray) instead of potentially signing a forward who was just going through a purple patch. Brentford were able to sell Andre Gray for a big profit after he did well. They replaced him with Scott Hogan, who they also sold on for a big profit after he did well. They replaced Hogan with Neal Maupay, who is currently doing well and will probably sell him on for a big profit.

The reason I mention sides like that BvB side of the mid-to-late 00s, Southampton and Brentford, is because we're working under a self-sufficient model. We cannot outspend the rest of the top six, bar Spurs, and need to work smart.

I'm gutted because I was really looking forward to it - lowering the average age of the squad and the wage bill, bringing in young, hungry, up-and-coming talents, bringing through quality prospects from the youth side, and not getting too attached to players or afraid to sell them when big offers come in because they are replaceable! I find players like Torreira and Guendouzi a lot more exciting than older players who are made available by bigger sides.

I just worry because I can see us getting lumbered with more players like Mkhitaryan and Lichtsteiner with this "contacts approach".

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 00:51
Agreed Matty.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 01:26
Matty, Emery had employed his own data analytic scientists.
Plus, no modern manager is daft enough not to employ data analytics scientists now.

Even Big Mouth, when he was a player during off-season with Tampa Bay Buccaneer, he was impressed with data analytics employed them and bragged in his memoirs that he was the fore-runner to employ modern sport sciences before Arsene Wenger.

It is just a different focus with Sanllehi having no confidence in Mislintat as Technical Director of Football and wanted to bring in his trusted people. Like what Wenger was doing with his own French Mafia and lieutenant like Boro.

Remember, the dismantling of Leicester City scouting system after they won the title?
I think Walsh left for Everton?

Similarly, Mislintat may be out-dated once he left his sources in Germany and seemed one-dimensional and "forever" poaching BVB players.

Guendouzi?
Emery claimed he knew of him in France as well.

Perhaps, Sanllehi and Emery felt that Mislintat is like Arsene Wenger (or even Marsh), outdated and does not really know the rest of world football other than Germany.

We will know during the next transfer window on what are the plans of Sanllehi and Emery when they scout Latin America, Spain and France for bargains like Mavropanos, Torreira and Guendouzi.

Now, these 3 young players had gone off a scintillating start.

Will they continue to develop like a young Vieira, Henry, Ljungberg, Toure, Clichy, Fabregas and Ashley Cole?

Or just a one-season wonder or flops like Merida, Vela, Bentley, Pennant, Senderos, Djourou, Coquelin, Wilshere, Walcott, OX, et al?

younghansolo (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 11:14
What happened to the guy we hired from Leicester a couple fo seasons ago? He was some kind if "digital scout" which I suspect means he watched Youtube a lot. Not sure we hired him into the same role at Arsenal

younghansolo (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 11:17
Answered my own question by looking at LinkedIn. Did we replace him?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dvoi6b.png

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:31
LOL @ being a 'video scout'. Blatantly means you just watch youtube all day.

Saying that I'm not sure I would be any good at it as I can't resist repeat clicking the recommended videos on the right and always seem to somehow end up watching a Leopard fighting a Crocodile to the death or something similar.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Shane (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 15:44
It isn't that difficult to become a scout. Well, not in comparison to becoming a doctor or a lawyer or something.

There was a young man at Brentford, who sadly passed away in November, and he got his start from randomly emailing a lot of clubs with scouting reports he had written. Then Celtic hired him to scout the Under-21's team opposition, then he worked in the Scotland set-up, and eventually he became Brentford's technical director at the age of 24. Amazing really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 15:45 by Shane.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net