football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Bad Result Could Work in Our Favour
Big Guhnz (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:40
Force the owners to back the manager which is crazy to think that’s even a question given he’s just signed for us in the summer.

I don’t buy this we don’t have the money@#$%&when we are in the black and a record low spend over wingers duration so to say we don’t have money is a joke and we have the highest ticket prices in our galaxy.

I think the result will work in the managers favour the recruitment team was in the stands and they’ll be onto kr£0nke about it. I think Ozil could be sold this month I have a feeling if Juventus inter Barca or any of the big teams needing extra for the CL come in for him we will sell.

The fan base is not putting enough pressure on Kr£0nke to put money into the club or @#$%& off why on earth did he buy the club it makes no sense he has to be the worse owner of the top 6 clubs in each league accross Europe the next home game needs to be a mass protest against the owner he’s took money out but out zero in throughout his whole period at the club wtf is all that about?

Re: Bad Result Could Work in Our Favour
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:43
Yup.
Emery out this summer.
No wonder he is a fialure at PSG, not strong enough to handle Neymar and now, makes like like a dumbfcuk in the way he is ahndling Ozil.

Emery vs Neymar - no fight.
Emery vs Ozil - bye bye Emery.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

goonerred (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:45
Other clubs will have seen the Ozil saga, they won't pay his wages so he won't go. If we don't buy in this transfer window it will show a great lack of ambition, we all know our owners don't have much ambition anyway, but with all the injuries and aging players in defence we need to buy, they don't have to be WC players, just better ones. I don't know if anything will shift Kranky.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:46
Ramsey had actually played with full commitment throughout. It is baffling that we don't use him even though ozil and mkhitaryan are out.

Big Guhnz (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:48
I don’t know about Emre out people will say if a player won’t do what the manager is askin then he should be benched when’s he’s benched they moan I would do the same if he was not doing what I ask he’s changing the attitude at the club and doing so is not pretty but it’s necessary as that’s what is turning young fans grey like the 19 year old Claude on aftv

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Quote:
CazOnARola
Ramsey had actually played with full commitment throughout. It is baffling that we don't use him even though ozil and mkhitaryan are out.

Ramsey MOTM.
Dumbfcuk of a manager.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
I get that people are emotional after a performance like that but there's no benefit to us breaking premier league rules on wage growth this january. And investment from owners is not included in the calculation on that so even if he did put money in, we wouldn't be able to spend it on new players. Our problem isn't that we don't have money to spend, it's that we can't increase our wage bill.

And that's down to poor financial management and poor squad management over the past 5 years. Honestly Sanhelli and Mistlintat have a big job on their hands over the next year or so to rectify the mismanagement of Gazidis and Wenger.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:53
If Ozil was so great, why are no clubs coming in for him?

The truth is he's an aging, inconsistent luxury player that no clubs can afford. I'd expect him to be playing in the US or China when he leave Arsenal.

Big Guhnz (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:54
Yes the wage situation coupled with the contract management is outrageously bad business for a football team of any level.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 15:00
Quote:
SuperRob
The truth is he's an aging, inconsistent luxury player that no clubs can afford. I'd expect him to be playing in the US or China when he leave Arsenal.

Since we are stuck with him for 2 more seasons, you expect Emery just to let him stay at home for the rest of the 2 seasons?

Bluntly, Gazidis and Wenger blinked and bend over for Ozil and his agent to royally screwed Arsenal FC … to the tune of 90-mil GBP.

You want to get rid of Ozil?
Sure, all interested teams are saying to Arsenal FC - "Why don't you subsidized his salary and we will take him off your hands?"

goonerred (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 15:26
Quote:
Merlion96
Quote:
SuperRob

Since we are stuck with him for 2 more seasons, you expect Emery just to let him stay at home for the rest of the 2 seasons?

Bluntly, Gazidis and Wenger blinked and bend over for Ozil and his agent to royally screwed Arsenal FC … to the tune of 90-mil GBP.

You want to get rid of Ozil?
Sure, all interested teams are saying to Arsenal FC - "Why don't you subsidized his salary and we will take him off your hands?"

Not sure, but I think they gave Ozil that contract as Sanchez was off and they didn't want Arsenal to look like a club that couldn't hang on to their big players. I'd have preferred to keep Sanchez on big money if it was a choice between the two.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 15:29
Don't see it happening myself

SuperRob (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 15:40
Quote:
Merlion96

I expect a professional footballer to have a little more resillience and strength of personality. There have been multiple incidents of Ozil behaving unprofessionally through his career, having days off training for no reason, missing games for non-injuries and illnesses and all this kind of nonsense.

Everyone is blaming Emery here, but it seems plausible to me that this could be Ozil pretending he's injured. Like when he had a "back injury" and Emery said he didn't know what was wrong with him. With Ozil it wouldn't surprise me if he was making a meal of it because Emery isn't mothering him like Wenger used to.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 15:40
That is the problem with Emery.
He got a big ego and does not want to look weak in front of Ozil, like he did against Neymar.

For the good of Arsenal FC, Emery must find the tactics that can accommodate Ozil.

Mourinho knew that Ronaldo is poor in tracking back or not at all.
But he knew that he needed to accommodate him and he changed his tactics to deploy Xabi Alonso to do the running with Khedira helping out.
Alonso is an intelligent player, with superb tactical awareness, fine anticipation and he compensate for Ronaldo's lack of tracking back.

Similar, in WC1998, Zidane refused to track back and Jacquet deployed two water-carriers in Deschamp and Karambeau to cover Zidane's shortcomings.

Both Mourinho and Jochim Low knew how to accommodate and deploy Ozil. Does Emery has that tactical acumen and man-management skills like Arsene Wenger to get the best out of Ozil now, our one and only world-class player in a sea of dross?

SuperRob (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 16:04
In what world is it a strong thing to do to allow a player to get away with being unprofessional? And what message does that send to the rest of the squad?

It's not about Emery wanting players who play "his way". It's about wanting players who are 100% committed.

And comparing Ozil to Ronaldo is simply ridiculous. Ronaldo scores more than 50 goals every season. Last season, under Arsene Wenger who accomodated him in every respect, Ozil got 4 goals and 8 assists in the league. That was only 1 more goal and 3 more assists than Alex Iwobi who is considered to be terrible by a lot of arsenal fans and was only 19 years old.

Should we be so accomodating to a player who's output is only slightly better than Iwobi?

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 16:06
Not comparing … but comparing managers as to how they accommodate genius.

Put it this way.
We are stuck with Ozil for 2 more seasons.
Treat him like Winston Bogarde?

SuperRob (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 16:19
Which goes back to my original question, if he's such a genius and worth accomodating, why are we stuck with him? Why are no clubs coming in for him? And it's because no big club thinks he's enough of a genius to accomodate his poor attitude.

And that's why I think he'll end up in the US or China, where they are more concerned about promoting themselves and where he can be uncommitted and still be easily the best player on the pitch in every game.

If we can't sell him, we should loan him out and subsidize his wages if need be. We could get a decent player for half of Ozil's wages

goonerred (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 16:21
Quote:
SuperRob
Which goes back to my original question, if he's such a genius and worth accomodating, why are we stuck with him? Why are no clubs coming in for him? And it's because no big club thinks he's enough of a genius to accomodate his poor attitude.
And that's why I think he'll end up in the US or China, where they are more concerned about promoting themselves and where he can be uncommitted and still be easily the best player on the pitch in every game.

If we can't sell him, we should loan him out and subsidize his wages if need be. We could get a decent player for half of Ozil's wages

I don't think he was linked with other clubs before he got his big pay day was he? We were well and truly taken to the cleaners with Ozil.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 17:03
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
SuperRob

I don't think he was linked with other clubs before he got his big pay day was he? We were well and truly taken to the cleaners with Ozil.

That's is correct.
After Alexis, both Gazidis and Wenger panicked.
And Ramsey is just collateral damage when his greedy agent miscalculated and Sanllehi preferred to cut his losses rather than ended up with another obscene Ozil-like pay package for Ramsey.

Big Guhnz (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 17:47
Quote:
SuperRob
In what world is it a strong thing to do to allow a player to get away with being unprofessional? And what message does that send to the rest of the squad?
It's not about Emery wanting players who play "his way". It's about wanting players who are 100% committed.

And comparing Ozil to Ronaldo is simply ridiculous. Ronaldo scores more than 50 goals every season. Last season, under Arsene Wenger who accomodated him in every respect, Ozil got 4 goals and 8 assists in the league. That was only 1 more goal and 3 more assists than Alex Iwobi who is considered to be terrible by a lot of arsenal fans and was only 19 years old.

Should we be so accomodating to a player who's output is only slightly better than Iwobi?

Exactly

Shane (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 18:20
Imagine having an ATM card which is linked to a bank account with billions upon billions of Euro in it, but not knowing the PIN. That's what it's like having Ozil. You have access to everything and absolutely nothing at the same time.

Ozil is a stupidly-talented footballer but it's utterly negated by his own personality and attitude. Wenger absolutely did mother him but I think he understood that he had to. I think he understood that submitting to Ozil was the only possible way to get the very best out of him, but even then it's flawed because if you mollycoddle him then it enables the anonymous performances we've been seeing for years, but if you challenge him, elicit a fight or flight response, then he takes flight. Literally.

I agree with Emery's management of him but I actually think he tried the Wenger approach. Giving Ozil the captaincy one week and dropping him from the squad a week later makes absolutely no sense unless the armband was a motivational tool, an attempt to show Ozil that he is important and does have a role to play, but it looks increasingly like he doesn't.

We'll never get the best from Ozil in the same way as that imaginery bloke will never get the PIN code. For as long as Ozil's here we will continue to have everything and nothing rolled into one.

goonerred (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 18:25
Quote:
Shane
Imagine having an ATM card which is linked to a bank account with billions upon billions of Euro in it, but not knowing the PIN. That's what it's like having Ozil. You have access to everything and absolutely nothing at the same time.
Ozil is a stupidly-talented footballer but it's utterly negated by his own personality and attitude. Wenger absolutely did mother him but I think he understood that he had to. I think he understood that submitting to Ozil was the only possible way to get the very best out of him, but even then it's flawed because if you mollycoddle him then it enables the anonymous performances we've been seeing for years, but if you challenge him, elicit a fight or flight response, then he takes flight. Literally.

I agree with Emery's management of him but I actually think he tried the Wenger approach. Giving Ozil the captaincy one week and dropping him from the squad a week later makes absolutely no sense unless the armband was a motivational tool, an attempt to show Ozil that he is important and does have a role to play, but it looks increasingly like he doesn't.

We'll never get the best from Ozil in the same way as that imaginery bloke will never get the PIN code. For as long as Ozil's here we will continue to have everything and nothing rolled into one.

Ozil was 29 when we gave him that insane contract for 3 and a half years. Look at the great players we've had in the past and wouldn't extend contracts when they got to 30.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 03:15
We had to give that to look like a big club. There would have been riots among fans of both the best players left. I think we all need to calm down. I was just looking at the wages.

Mkhitaryan is on 180k
Kolasinac on 100k
We have ppl like elneny as well. Im. Not sure if its the wage bill that is preventing us from signing players. I woulsnt think ao. But the squad is full of players with wages a lot morw than their worth and needs a full rebuild. This going to take a while. We have to make sure we get the right players in. I do think the board has ties up emery s hands

Bergmars (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 09:42
It is the wages apparently that's why we can only loan players too many average players on lucrative contracts whom we cant move out.Jenkinson on a 5 year contract at 62000 a week its laughable.He is reportedly on more than Toreira badly run club that the new incumbent has inherited.
I would hazard a guess the long term contracts signed when we moved into the Emirates sponsorship wise have hindered progress they were signed to offset the new ground and were signed hastily and sold cheap.

Under new managment

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 10:23
Radio isn't here, but the highbury redevelopment and the 130mn or so that needed to be paid back within 5 - 7 years i think set us back the most. The 2009 crash meant highbury redevelopment only earned us 10% more than the invested value is i recall and paying 25mn per year for that plus the emirates loan killed us.

Right now though the pbm is that the owner will be focusing on Rams and has probably left us in a lurch. The reason I'm not so sure about the wages is because in loan deals you typically pay some /all of the wages of that player, so the wage bill would still rise unless we are saying that loan player wages don't count

Trent2000 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 15:30
If Emery will not play Ozil, then let him go to China and retire in that league. The saga of him being injured or not is getting ridiculous. Do we not think a club over there will take him on a free, they would jump at it and if he is put in the reserves, he will go.

I for one, think we have no replacement for him and we struggle without him, but of course I could be wrong.

Getting tired of it and Emery needs to be honest about the situation to the fans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net