football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. West Ham
MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:39
Leno - 6. Okay. Couldn't have done much about the goal.

Mustafi - 6. Okay first half before being substituted.
Sokratis - 6. Okay. Made a great block in the first half.
Koscielny - 6. Again okay.

Maitland-Niles - 5. Mixed bag.
Guendouzi - 5. Involved throughout but lacked any real quality in the final third.
Xhaka - 4. Quiet first half bar a great long ball to Lacazette. Awful header led to West Ham's winner.
Kolasinac - 5. Bright first half but faded in the second half. Two instances in the second half where he was caught offside when he really didn't need to be. Needs to time his runs.

Aubameyang - 5. Missed a couple of good chances.
Lacazette - 5. Lively start but gradually faded.
Iwobi - 7. Only player who comes away with any credit as far as I'm concerned. Lively and about the only one who looked like making something happen.

Subs:

Torreira - 5. Little impact.
Ramsey - 5. Couple of flicks and one cross was about it.
Bellerin - 5. Again little impact.

Could see the way today was going to go during an open first half where both sides had opportunities but you could see we were really lacking quality in the final third. West Ham took the lead at the start of the second half after a shocker from Xhaka and, although we did improve after making substitutions, the quality just wasn't there and we never really looked like scoring.

Yet again the absence of Ozil becomes the main talking point.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2019 10:41 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. West Ham
Big Guhnz (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:41
4 all round @#$%& poor from everyone apart from Iwobi who gets a 7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 14:42 by Big Guhnz.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:43
Quote:
Big Guhnz
4 all round @#$%& poor from everyone apart from Iwobi who gets a 7

Guendouzi 4 involved throughout even when he needent be. Should leave the decision to pay into feet of centre forwards to Torreira /xhaka. Has no idea which side of the pitch we have overloads and switches play randomly

Kalela (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 14:55
Guendouzi is not ready for the first team. He was tasked with creating chances for the forwards and he failed miserably in doing that. He holds the ball and does those stupid turns even when there is a player wide open in front of him. Forwards were isolated in this game thanks to the poor performance of the midfield.

Dream acquisitions as of 10/15/2018:

CB: Issa Diop/Jonathan Tah
RB: Aaron Wan-Bissaka
DM: Franck Kessie/Yves Bissouma/Ndidi
CM: Kai Havertz
Wing/Attack: Ante Rebic/Pepe

SuperRob (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 15:11
Quote:
Kalela
Guendouzi is not ready for the first team. He was tasked with creating chances for the forwards and he failed miserably in doing that. He holds the ball and does those stupid turns even when there is a player wide open in front of him. Forwards were isolated in this game thanks to the poor performance of the midfield.

Agree he's not quite ready, but the improvement he's made since the start of the season is really encouraging and hopefully he continues to improve at that rate. He's already better than Xhaka in basically every area so I'd play him and Torriera for the rest of the season, and accept that they are young and inexperienced and that will lead them to make mistakes and be a bit inconsistent.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 15:18
There is a battle of will between Ozil and Emery now.
After being burnt by Neymar, Emery is determined to show Ozil who is boss and either Ozil buckled down to play how he wanted Ozil to play in the team or he is out.

Similarly, Ramsey disagreed and said he is more of a box-to-box No.8 and not a No. 10 that Emery wanted him to play, resulting in Emery pulled back the contract.

The reason why Emery continues to play Guendouzi is simply that Dozo is his type of player he envisaged his future Arsenal 2019/20 should be playing.

Without Ozil, Mkhitaryan and Ramsey, this team simply lacks creativity and playmaking. It was so glaring in contrast to Anderson and Nasri pulling the strings for WHU.

Rice and Noble simply out-fought and out-thought Xhaka-Dozo in the middle resulting in no service to forwards.

There was no width with Kolasinac pinned back by Antonio and Iwobi isolated without support at left flank.

Laca and Auba cannot play together as there is no link-up plays between them with AUba isolated and toothless, trying to find the ball. Auba is no winger and is a forward with his superb direct running and quickness. Laca is just a waste of space, a ball hog that is obsessed with scoring regardless of where his team-mates are. His runs are poor and as bad as Walcott in being caught off-sides once too often.

Sokratis - 6. Okay. Made a great block in the first half.
Koscielny - 6. Again okay.

Maitland-Niles - 3.SLow of thought, slow to react. Has pace but not a quick player.

Guendouzi - 3. A ball hog that slowed down plays. No vision, no positional awareness, headless chicken running.

Xhaka - 3. Give him the Ozil treatment.

Kolasinac - 5. Bright first half but faded in the second half. Two instances in the second half where he was caught offside when he really didn't need to be. Needs to time his runs.

Aubameyang - 5. Missed a couple of good chances.

Lacazette - 5. Lively start but gradually faded.

Iwobi - 6. Anderson and Nasri shown him up as just another fraud produced by Arsene Wenger.

Subs:

Torreira - 5. Little impact.

Ramsey - 7. MOTM. He transformed the team and brought Iwobi and Kolasinac into plays and created numerous attacking moves.

Bellerin - 5. Again little impact.

Unai Emery - 3. Another Dumbfcuk "ManU David Moyes" type of manager.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 15:38
Today was Iwobi's 150th senior appearance for club and country.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 15:47
Open verdict on Iwobi until he plays in a settled team, and not trying to carry the entire team in the playmaking department.
We need Ozil or Mkhitaryan to free him up.

hahanice (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 16:03

Sokratis - 6. our most comfortable defender
Koscielny - 6. looks timid but just about got the job done

Maitland-Niles - 5. Said he wants to be a winger, really struggled to beat his man.
Guendouzi - 6. OK. tried, a little sloppy in the final third but otherwise decent
Xhaka - 2. at fault for the loss. other than that he is no better than anyone on west ham's squad. simply not good enough. time to move on.
Kolasinac - 6. Thought he was pretty good going forward. didn't do anything wrong defensively
Aubameyang - 4. Missed a couple of good chances. Not really involved
Lacazette - 4. Lively start but gradually faded. Not really involved. didn't really work very hard either
Iwobi - 7. MOTM. Sloppy and missed a very good chance, but atleast he tried

Subs:

Torreira - 6. immediate improvement.
Ramsey - 6. immediate improvement. should have had an assist for iwobi. not sure why they dont sign him up.
Bellerin - 5. not sure I understood that sub

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 16:55
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Kalela

Agree he's not quite ready, but the improvement he's made since the start of the season is really encouraging and hopefully he continues to improve at that rate. He's already better than Xhaka in basically every area so I'd play him and Torriera for the rest of the season, and accept that they are young and inexperienced and that will lead them to make mistakes and be a bit inconsistent.
I used to think the same but i wouldn't do that now. For all his faults, xhaka will immediately pass the ball to Torreira of he is free or any of the guards forwards as he can get caught in possession and so direct hold on to the ball.

This is what w making Torreira so effective in that first time. Watch the second half again you will realize that Torreira cannot get into the hand because he doesn't get the ball back from guendouzi or ramsey, guendouzi more so. Guendouzi shouldn't be starting games for us period

hahanice (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 17:43
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Kalela

I used to think the same but i wouldn't do that now. For all his faults, xhaka will immediately pass the ball to Torreira of he is free or any of the guards forwards as he can get caught in possession and so direct hold on to the ball.

This is what w making Torreira so effective in that first time. Watch the second half again you will realize that Torreira cannot get into the hand because he doesn't get the ball back from guendouzi or ramsey, guendouzi more so. Guendouzi shouldn't be starting games for us period

Well not exactly, sometimes he passes it to Torreira or another arsenal player. Sometimes he passes it to the oppositions forward right in stride to go clean in. usually some of both every game.

Atleast Guendouzi doesn't directly cost us multiple goals a game

SuperRob (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 18:02
Quote:
hahanice
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Kalela

Well not exactly, sometimes he passes it to Torreira or another arsenal player. Sometimes he passes it to the oppositions forward right in stride to go clean in. usually some of both every game.

this

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 18:14
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
hahanice
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Kalela

this

Yes but he does the take most effective players for arsenal out of the game offensively. Watch every goal in open play this season and invariably it will be torreira and Lacazette that start those moves, many times it is actually torreira to Lacazette to the guy who scores /gives the assists.
Ozil has been very inconsistent /absent and mostly Lacazette has actually been the nos 10 in this team.
Guendouzi is taking both of them out of the game, esp in the last month or so, every since emery started playing him as 10 in those games.

The pbm is the intent. Xhaka is giving the bank seat while trying to pass it quickly. It's a mistake in execution but the decision to pass the ball quickly is still valid.

Guendouzi is deciding to take all those extra touches and trying to play the wembley ball instead of keeping it simple need be and in the end gives to back to players who are surrounded by 3 players/turns it over with an unsuccessful through ball. That is poor decision plus poor execution.

And my gripe with him is that he has only started to do this more recently. I don't fault his lack of defensive awareness cause that has been there from the start of the season. This ball hogging is new

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 18:23
Don't get me wrong, i just don't want the lad to become the next wilshere or Hollywood ramsey or the shitty crossfield balls coquelin

hahanice (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 20:56
I mean it's a major problem that a newly acquired 19 year old needs to start.
It's a major problem that he was such an upgrade on the 19 year olds that we had in our youth set up.
It's a major problem that the established midfielders in our first team that are playing are not markedly better than him (xhaka, ramsey, ozil, elneny)

I'm not going to worry at all about Guendouzi, and instead wonder WTF is wrong with the other clowns we have in our midfield

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 23:19
Quote:
CazOnARola
Don't get me wrong, i just don't want the lad to become the next wilshere or Hollywood ramsey or the shitty crossfield balls coquelin

Why Guendouzi is ball hogging is simply he does not have the tactical awareness to make a quick pass, a one-touch one-pass skill.

Can't fault his desire to make thing happening, utterly devoid of support from his fellow playmakers, he inadvertently started to hold the balls too long searching and looking for support.

Most damning, there is lack of leadership on the pitch to advise and give Guendouzi a telling-off he is hogging the ball.

Imagine Tony Adams or Vieira telling off Guendouzi.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 09:32
Said it before.
Guendouzi is not a good player.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

goonerred (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 11:10
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Said it before.

He's 19 playing with dross, he's trying to make something happen, he's young he needs guidance. Give him a couple of years, if he hasn't improved, get rid of him.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 17:27
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Said it before.

He's 19 playing with dross, he's trying to make something happen, he's young he needs guidance. Give him a couple of years, if he hasn't improved, get rid of him.

He was doing this early in the season with the same personnel around him. He had been doing this only recently ever since the falling out with ozil and emery playing others at 10 including guendouzi himself. And this translated inch him playing the same way even when he was being played deeper. I just hope its not an attitude issue and not about him trying to become a nos 10 which he absolutely never will be and shouldn't be

goonerred (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 17:33
As Kelela said on the Holding thread, all the injuries combined with all the injuries, Holding, bellerin, Kos, Mustfi the team had to shift around a bit and it's not worked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net