football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Emery out
Shane (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 12:25
Quote:
SuperRob
I've seen enough improvement already to give him another season. No question.

100%.

SandyB (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 15:48
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
SuperRob

100%.

(Sm160)

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 10:26
Time for Emery to go!!

He keeps tinkering with the team and formation which is not helping the team at all.

He hasn't got a clue what his best team is.

There's no structure to our play.

The defence is shite, the midfield is shite and so is our attack.

No point of f ucking around for 4/5 years, get rid of him now!

younghansolo (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 12:48
For goodness sake. He's making mistakes, no question but it's clear he needs a much better squad to work with. The summer will see if he's ruthless enough to do what is needed.

If he doesn't and next season we are still in the same predicament fair enough.

Shane (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 12:58
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
SuperRob

100%.

I'm going back on this. If we don't finish top four then let's get rid and try again with somebody else. We could and definitely should have a five-point cushion in the top four. And we would had we won our last two instead of losing both.

And losing both is nothing to do with the squad. We can't wheel out that excuse everytime we get hammered.

goonerred (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 13:36
I'll give him a summer transfer window to get shot of some and get in some, reserving judgement until Christmas. We can then go on the manager-go-round that we managed to avoid for so long.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 14:21
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
SuperRob

100%.

I'm going back on this. If we don't finish top four then let's get rid and try again with somebody else. We could and definitely should have a five-point cushion in the top four. And we would had we won our last two instead of losing both.

And losing both is nothing to do with the squad. We can't wheel out that excuse everytime we get hammered.

You want to be like utd and Chelsea then? But without their budget.

Liverpool, City and spurs are showing that its better to give the manager 2 or 3 seasons to build instead of changing every year.

Changing the manager every year gives the players an excuse. You think martial, lukaku et al would still be getting away with it at utd if they had gone and got pochettino 4 years ago and told him he had 3 seasons to turn them around? As a player in that situation you have nowhere to hide. Right now they know that if they don't perform, chances are the manager will be gone on a year anyway.

Anyway, no point arguing, saying "get rid of emery now" is the easy argument to make because it won't happen so you'll never be proved right or wrong.

Shane (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 15:44
It might happen Rob. Unlike us I don't think the Arsenal board consider this season a free hit for Emery. It doesn't just not count just because he inherited Shkodran Mustafi.

His mandate will have been to finish in the top four and if that doesn't happen then at the very least it's a conversation to have.

goonerred (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 17:09
If you want Emery out, who do you want in?

SuperRob (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 17:38
The arsenal board will have worked out that the only clubs who overperform their budget are those that get a decent manager and stick with them for 3 to 5 years even if they don't succeed in the first season.

And its not just the top clubs. Everton under moyes over performed their budget. Burnley under dyche. Bolton under allardyce. Fulham under Hodgson.

The only clubs who have some form of success by chopping and changing managers do so by spending a lot. If you get a manager who looks like he can progress you over 3 to 5 seasons, you stick with him. If he is making no progress or is going backwards you get rid and try someone else.

I think it's clear that emery has made progress and I can see him re-establishing us in the champions league over the next few years. Is he the man to take us back to winning the league? Who knows. We can make a judgement on that later down the road if we ever get a squad that is capable of competing with the top 2.

Let's wait and see what happens between now and the end of the season. If we lose our last 3 league games and get knocked out by valencia then I'll agree that we won't have made much progress. If we win our last 3 league games, finish 4th and the europa league then that will be a massive success. Who knows what will happen

MattySadler (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 17:39
Quote:
Shane
It might happen Rob. Unlike us I don't think the Arsenal board consider this season a free hit for Emery. It doesn't just not count just because he inherited Shkodran Mustafi.
His mandate will have been to finish in the top four and if that doesn't happen then at the very least it's a conversation to have.

The club may have had different expectations but regardless of who we gave the gig, personally I didn't think we had a squad able to finish in the top four or even top five.

Not unless we spent about a few hundred million in the summer...

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 18:04
It will be tough for emery and there will be a retrospective. Don't think he will be fired /should be fired.
I have been expecting us lose these games since nov. I have said on multiple threads about how many teams we still have to pay away from the top 13. I want expecting a win at watford so its a bonus. We will probably draw/lose at Leicester as well.

It will all come down to the last two games and how Chelsea do in those

Shane (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 19:09
Quote:
MattySadler
The club may have had different expectations but regardless of who we gave the gig, personally I didn't think we had a squad able to finish in the top four or even top five.
Not unless we spent about a few hundred million in the summer...

If we finish outside the top four, let alone the top five, it'll be because we sh*t the bed and bottled it, not because we didn't spend hundreds of millions last summer.

The fact is that we'd be third now, five points clear of fifth place, had we won our last two games - two very winnable games too. We didn't get turned over by Liverpool and Manchester City. We lost against two teams who we're better than. When that happens it's generally down to organisation, motivation and team selection.

As for the squad, it's stronger than a lot of us thought last year. It has to be. If the squad is as shite as we said then Emery is doing a phenomenal job, over-achieving in a serious way.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 19:36
Quote:
Shane
If the squad is as shite as we said then Emery is doing a phenomenal job, over-achieving in a serious way.

I think this is true. How many of our players would get into Utd's first team?

Aubameyang and maybe Sokratis. In Chelsea's first team? Aubameyang and maybe Torreira.

None of our players would get into Spurs, City or Liverpool's first teams and you could count on 1 hand the number who would make it into City or Liverpool's matchday squad.

We have the 6th best first team and the 6th best squad by some distance.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 20:14
How reliant upon Ramsey these past few months shows the squad isn't any better than we feel. Letting him go is clearly another mistake though.

If we finish top four (unlikely in my opinion) and win the Europa (also unlikely) the manager will be rightly hailed a hero despite said mistakes.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 23:18
#1 Year - happenstance

Okay, he got lucky and went on a 22 games unbeaten run.
Now, the wheels came off his bus and fingers are starting to point at the mediocre squad he inherited.

His excuse for failure is that he had no funds and inherited plenty of deadwoods.
Plus praising "Mustafi is still a young player and can only improved".
Plus "I cannot afford Ramsey and his style does not suit the team I am building".

#2 Year - Coincidence

No more excuses as he is given a free hand to buy the players he wanted to shape the squad he wanted. But if he continues to buy bargains like Lichsteiner, on-loan SUarez, etc. then he cannot blame Arsene Wenger if we should flop and missed out Top-4.

#3 Year - Retaliation

Get rid of him and hound him out of Emirates if he turned out to be another deluded Arsene Wenger Mark 4.0 dishing out Crab Football claiming "we must retain possession to control the game".

'It's kind of fun to do the impossible' Walt Disney.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 April, 2019 04:57
The fact that we didn't spend in jan is a clear indication the ppl upstairs are not willing to spend. If it was to review what emery can do with the current lot, then so be it. But if we keep buying lichsteiners in the summer then we know stan and josh are responsible

Shane (IP Logged)
26 April, 2019 17:59
Quote:
SuperRob
I think this is true. How many of our players would get into Utd's first team?
Aubameyang and maybe Sokratis. In Chelsea's first team? Aubameyang and maybe Torreira.

None of our players would get into Spurs, City or Liverpool's first teams and you could count on 1 hand the number who would make it into City or Liverpool's matchday squad.

We have the 6th best first team and the 6th best squad by some distance.

Aubameyang is the key word in this Rob. If you have a world-class striker then I wouldn't say challenging for the top four can be considered over-achievement, considering the other players we have too.

If we were making a very good first of a top-four finish with Welbeck up front then I'd totally agree we were over-achieving, but we're making a good fist of it with Aubameyang, a co-leader with Salah and Aguero for top goalscorer.

We finished third in 2012. On paper that squad looks a hell of a lot worse than this, but we had Van Persie. That's an example of how valuable a world-class goalscorer is and now we have another one.

Shane (IP Logged)
26 April, 2019 18:13
Quote:
younghansolo
If we finish top four (unlikely in my opinion) and win the Europa (also unlikely) the manager will be rightly hailed a hero despite said mistakes.

I don't think it's unlikely mate, especially not top four. We'll be fourth on Sunday if we beat Leicester and Chelsea drop points at Old Trafford. That's a very possible scenario.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
26 April, 2019 19:21
I believe poor away form has been 10 years in the making, it wont be solved in one season hence I dont expect top four.
Europa is different we possibly have 50-50 chance, I also suspect some players may be holding back because they have mind on Europa.
Emery has made some mistakes mainly overestimating the leadership qualities of a poor squad

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 13:54
Should be sacked today, I've seen enough.

Anyone wants him to stay don't f ucking moan when we are shite again next season!

The man is as clueless as his players!

goonerred (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 14:01
No, but he has to do something worthwhile in the Transfer window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/04/2019 15:10 by goonerred.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 15:05
Quote:
Padre Pio
I believe poor away form has been 10 years in the making, it wont be solved in one season hence I dont expect top four.
Europa is different we possibly have 50-50 chance, I also suspect some players may be holding back because they have mind on Europa.
Emery has made some mistakes mainly overestimating the leadership qualities of a poor squad
Still this

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 15:10
Emery deserves a Summer to see what money and signings he can do to make it his team.

If Mustafi is still figuring in the first team next season then he really does need to go.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

younghansolo (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 15:30
Although I'm incredibly angry at the mistakes made by the manger in recent times and the severity of them. We clearly need to point out anger at the ownership. We desperately, desperately need investment of a huge scale to compete. We don't have enough young players coming through and our squad is atrocious. Just loo kat the bench today it was terrible.

We must spend, or it doesn't matter who the manager is.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 15:53
Quote:
younghansolo
Although I'm incredibly angry at the mistakes made by the manger in recent times and the severity of them. We clearly need to point out anger at the ownership. We desperately, desperately need investment of a huge scale to compete. We don't have enough young players coming through and our squad is atrocious. Just loo kat the bench today it was terrible.
We must spend, or it doesn't matter who the manager is.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 16:05
Emery is done.
Arsenal is done.

We are the laughing stock of a team with a dumbfcuk of a manager.
When he was a appointed, those Suits claimed they were impressed by his detailed analysis of the squad, the youth, academy players and the ladies' teams.

Make you wonder now what was those detailed analysis all about.

'It's kind of fun to do the impossible' Walt Disney.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 16:06
Emery will bring in more duds. Am not prepared to give him no more time.

We have to be ruthless. Get rid of him and the majority of overrated clowns!

SuperRob (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 17:36
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

Luckily for the rest of us, it isn't up to you.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 21:34
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

Luckily for the rest of us, it isn't up to you.

Luckily for the club it's got fans like you!

Oh and don't talk for the "rest!"

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
29 April, 2019 13:22
What I don’t get is that Emery inherited a top 6 (at best) squad from Wenger and has had limited funds to improve it. The majority of the significant additions I am actually happy with considering the tightened purse strings (Torreira, Sokratis, Leno), but even with those players we are obviously still some way off being a considerable force again.

Word around the camp fire is our sewer rat owner and his round table of parasites are not releasing any significant funds for next season either. That’s where the problem is because even if we sack Emery and get rid of the Mustafi, Elneny’s and every other useless player in the team, without significant investment what exactly do you expect from a new manager? We would need a minor miracle for ANYONE to come in and do much better with this rabble.

Emery deserves another season to see if he can make the team his own (as limited as it is) and get the maximum out of the players to bridge the gap and get us back into top 4. That is the absolute sky is the limit currently until we f.uck this owner off as being a serious challenger for any major silverware is a millions miles away until that happens.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
29 April, 2019 14:34
Quote:
BootyDaddy
What I don’t get is that Emery inherited a top 6 (at best) squad from Wenger and has had limited funds to improve it. The majority of the significant additions I am actually happy with considering the tightened purse strings (Torreira, Sokratis, Leno), but even with those players we are obviously still some way off being a considerable force again.
Word around the camp fire is our sewer rat owner and his round table of parasites are not releasing any significant funds for next season either. That’s where the problem is because even if we sack Emery and get rid of the Mustafi, Elneny’s and every other useless player in the team, without significant investment what exactly do you expect from a new manager? We would need a minor miracle for ANYONE to come in and do much better with this rabble.

Emery deserves another season to see if he can make the team his own (as limited as it is) and get the maximum out of the players to bridge the gap and get us back into top 4. That is the absolute sky is the limit currently until we f.uck this owner off as being a serious challenger for any major silverware is a millions miles away until that happens.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
29 April, 2019 14:51
That nails it
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
BootyDaddy

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net