football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Bielik doing well?
MattySadler (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 19:34
After the depressing, but unsurprising, news that we have no money to spend this morning, I was feeling pretty low and decided to try and find something positive and Arsenal-related to cheer me up...

Earlier this season we had Reiss Nelson making a big impact in Germany, scoring a lot of goals and being named Bundesliga Rookie of the Month for October whilst also scoring for the England U21s. More recently we had Calum Chambers, struggling at centre back, being switched into midfield and emerging as one of Fulham's best players.

We signed young Polish midfielder Krystian Bielik in January 2015 as a 16 year old, but have seen very little of him since. He saw himself switched from midfielder to centre back and starred for our second string for a couple of years, but his first team impact was minimal at best, making just two first team appearances in the League Cup.

He spent the second half of the 2016-17 season on loan to Championship side Birmingham and started well playing as part of a back three, but found himself out of the team following a managerial change. He was meant to spend the second half of the 2017-18 season on loan to League One Walsall, but injury prevented him from making any appearances.

20 and at a crossroads, he joined League One side Charlton on a season-long loan in a bid to kick start his first team career. Initially starting out playing centre back, for the first time since signing for us he has played regular first team, even scoring his first professional goal, and has since been switched back into his original midfield position, where he has starred for a promotion-chasing Charlton side.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwfkZtwX0AI0Vir.jpg:large

Averaging 8.6 tackles and interceptions per 90 minutes, Bielik is quite clearly the best midfielder in League One in terms of defensive output. Just for comparison's sake, fellow Arsenal loanee Calum Chambers is the second best in the Premier League in this respect with 6.9 (behind Man United's Ander Herrera (7.4)).

Admittedly he isn't playing a the highest level, but he finally appears to be making up for lost time. He has just turned 21 and has another year to run on his Arsenal contract. Providing he continues to perform for Charlton, might it be worth letting Emery have a look at him over the summer? He was signed as a hot prospect, obviously highly rated by someone at some point, but hasn't really been given a chance since. He could potentially provide cover for the defence and midfield positions, and allow us to spend what little money we have on other areas.

Re: Bielik doing well?
Kalela (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 23:12
I think if it wasn't for the injuries and Wenger's strange obsession with playing players out of position, he would have gotten a chance to play in the first team. Sometime back - I can't remember all the details - I remember him coming on for Glen Kamara during a League Cup game while the team was struggling and he ended up bossing the midfield. I think Arsenal still lost the game but he had a really good game. He was very impressive but unfortunately he was not awarded with playing in the first team. From what I have seen, he is a skilled defensive midfielder and he has a decent size to handle premier league physicality. He should be given time in the first team. If he fails, sell him or let him run down his contract but if he is decent then keep him.

Dream acquisitions:

CB: Issa Diop
RB: Aaron Wan-Bissaka
DM: Franck Kessie/Yves Bissouma/Ndidi
Wing/Attack: Anton Rebic/Pepe

MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 20:51
Quote:
Kalela
I think if it wasn't for the injuries and Wenger's strange obsession with playing players out of position, he would have gotten a chance to play in the first team. Sometime back - I can't remember all the details - I remember him coming on for Glen Kamara during a League Cup game while the team was struggling and he ended up bossing the midfield. I think Arsenal still lost the game but he had a really good game. He was very impressive but unfortunately he was not awarded with playing in the first team. From what I have seen, he is a skilled defensive midfielder and he has a decent size to handle premier league physicality. He should be given time in the first team. If he fails, sell him or let him run down his contract but if he is decent then keep him.

That infamous Sheffield Wednesday defeat when Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott both got injured yeah.

I just feel with us struggling financially we can get players like Elneny and Ramsey off the wage bill and look to the youth team/ players out on loan. Bielik and Chambers are both above to play most positions in defence/ midfield and are doing well this season.

Funnily enough Glen Kamara finally found a bit of form up in Scotland for Dundee. He's being linked with moves to Rangers and Cardiff at the moment.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 01:08
Boy, after WHU game, I don't mind Chambers and Bielik replacing both Xhaka and Elneny next season.

Better to trust the devils you don't know rather than the devils you know now.

Xhaka is a flawed character and simply cannot focused the whole of 90 minutes.
he tends to gather wool and simply lost focus under pressure or his mind elsewhere during a dull period of Crab Football.

We really need players who are mentally strong and fully focused on the game for 90 minutes or more and do not go wanderlust or day-dreaming on the pitch.

I am no more a supporter of Xhaka, a flawed player who can't concentrate.
The faster we get rid of him, the better we play.

Joe Willock?
Why wasn't he given a chance ahead of Guendouzi?

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net