football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Calum Chambers is our Midfield Missing LInk
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 00:08
[youaremyarsenal.com]

Good read.

This is the muscle we needed in the middle to partner Torreira.

Under Raineri, Chambers is developing into an utility player, moving into midfield and slotting into Back-4 effortless when under pressure during dead-ball situation and defending a slim lead.

If he continues to develop at this rate at Fulham, he should replace Xhaka in a "Big Man Little Man" Double Pivot.

Torreira is quick, wonderful anticipation and a ferocious tackler. Couple this with Chambers' fast developing positional awareness, he will be always on hands to win the 2nd ball after a Torreira tackling or interception in contrast to a slow thinking Xhaka who lacks mental focus.

With Bielik returning, we have wonderful selection of 2 out of 4 players in Torreira, Chambers, Bielik, Joe Willock to play that "Double Pivot" role to shield the Back-3.

Time tog et rid of Xhaka and Elneny during summer 2019.
This will help to reduce the wage bill and help to improve our quota of 12 out of 25-man squad must be homegrown.

Is Bielik considered homegrown?

Our homegrown for next season:
#1 - Bellerin
#2 - Holding
#3 - Chambers
#4 - Maitland-Niles
#5 - Iwobi
#6 - Nketiah
#7 - Willock
#8 - Gilmour
#9 - Reiss Nelson
#10- Medley
#11- Martinez if he stays - he is homegrown as well?
#12- Smith-Rowe

And some of those players are still Under-21 (like Saka, Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Medley) and can move into that category freeing up spots for British players which we may buy.

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

Re: Calum Chambers is our Midfield Missing LInk
MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 09:25
Yeah I mentioned Chamber's interesting development a while back. He was having a tough time under Jokanovic but has emerged as their best player in recent weeks.

Throughout my lifetime the best Premier League sides have always had at least one good utility man. Man United have had plenty over the years, most notably Phil Neville and John O'Shea. Chelsea had Branislav Ivanovic. Man City had Nigel de Jong. Liverpool currently have James Milner. They're an important player to have.

We currently have Ainsley Maitland-Niles (can play LB, RB, CM, RM) and Calum Chambers (CB, RB, CM). Both can play useful squad roles, and, vitally, both of whom count towards our home grown quota.

Chambers is obviously highly thought of at the club. He signed a long term extension towards the end of Wenger's time and signed another soon after Emery arrived, having played a big part in pre-season. Maybe they just want to guarantee we're able to get a decent fee for him, or maybe they see a future for him. The important thing is he carries on getting games. Two successful (from a Chambers point of view) full Premier League seasons, one as a centre back for Middlesbrough and one as a central midfielder for Fulham, would be great experience.

goonerred (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 10:51
Funny, I've never rated Chambers, not since he had to cover all over the shop for injuries to players when he first came and his confidence was shot. Instead of being nurtured, he was thrown in at the deep end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 11:48 by goonerred.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 11:40
I've not been paying attention to his development. Has he been playing in midfield then?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 14:28
Quote:
goonerred
Funny, I've never rated Chambers, not since he had to cover all over the shop for injuries to players when he first came and his confidence was shot. Instead of being nurtured, he was thrown in at the deep end.

Agreed but he has had some good spells here. Started his debut season very strongly and was one of the few bright points at the end of last season.

In between those spells he had a really good season on loan to Boro, but that's literally been it.

Quote:
younghansolo
I've not been paying attention to his development. Has he been playing in midfield then?

Started the season playing as part of their ever-changing defence and wasn't doing well, but has probably been their best player since moving into midfield.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 16:08
Hes been playing in midfield long before Ranieri arrived

Under new managment

MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 January, 2019 17:59
Quote:
Bergmars
Hes been playing in midfield long before Ranieri arrived

First appearance for Fulham there was in Jokanovic's final game I believe

Kalela (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 01:17
He is actually for 2nd place in the league in interceptions.

Dream acquisitions:

CB: Issa Diop
RB: Aaron Wan-Bissaka
DM: Franck Kessie/Yves Bissouma/Ndidi
Wing/Attack: Anton Rebic/Pepe

hahanice (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 04:47
I have always liked Chambers. Just don't think he is a right back, so when he plays there and gets massacred it's not on him. Also hard to judge him when he plays center back with someone like mustafi and they get torched. When he has been put in good situations he has been good.

All of his loans have been excellent as well

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 09:00
Quote:
Kalela
He is actually for 2nd place in the league in interceptions.

Didn't know that. That is impressive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net