football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Mavropanos and Medley
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 11:13
I honestly think if we put both of them in the side they'd improve our defence.

People are going to say they're too young, well I'd rather see them make mistake than the clowns currently in our defence!

I doubt Emery would play either of them in a important game as he's as pragmatic as Mourinho.

Re: Mavropanos and Medley
djarse (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 14:37
Mavropanos looked good at the end of last season but has had a mysteriously long period out this season with a groin strain - which appears to have lasted 3 months + so far. That's why he's not been tried yet this season. WE have been unlucky in that sense - Koscielny out till now with a major injury; Holding improves and suffers a long-term injury; Mavrapanos not available throughout this period either......

Not seen enough of Medley to be sure how good he is.....

Ares (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 19:38
Instead of playing Jenkinson at Left Back (when he does remember him)

U E could at least try him at RCB where it doesn't matter if he's not great with the ball + he actually has played there before and done well.

when he did play Jenkinson LB in the Europa we did not let a goal in.

If Xhaka can get a game at CB I don't see why Jenko can't get in on some of that action.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 19:40
Forgot he existed, no idea why emery refuses to play him, as bad as he maybe, Lichsteiner has made some shocking decisions /cleareances

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 11:15
For all we know Mavropanos could have played a bit already this season. He finished last season well but has been out injured ever since. It will be interesting to see what happens when he is back.

With regards to Medley it is tough. I've seen him for our U18s and U23s. Physically he is a monster (6' 5) and he's very good on the ball (has played youth football on the wing), but he has also been prone to a defensive error. It is a shame we didn't see more of him in the Europa League.

It must speak volumes about the quality of our defensive youth players though. I mean, Emery had Iwobi and Maitland-Niles started against Liverpool, he didn't hesitate to put Smith-Rowe in before he got injured, Nketiah has been involved, as has 17 year old Saka recently, yet there's been no sign of any younger defensive players. We only saw Medley after a big injury crisis. This was the same under Wenger as well. It doesn't seem like the quality is there.

Kalela (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 13:49
Quote:
MattySadler
With regards to Medley it is tough. I've seen him for our U18s and U23s. Physically he is a monster (6' 5) and he's very good on the ball (has played youth football on the wing), but he has also been prone to a defensive error. It is a shame we didn't see more of him in the Europa League.

Saw that too and even mentioned here one or two times. Good size, good pace and strength but very error prone. He is not a natural defender. I was way more impressed by the youngster Daniel Ballard who I think should be the one given a chance. He is much smaller than Medley but he has a good reading of the games and tackles really well.

Dream acquisitions as of 10/15/2018:

CB: Issa Diop/Jonathan Tah
RB: Aaron Wan-Bissaka
DM: Franck Kessie/Yves Bissouma/Ndidi
CM: Kai Havertz
Wing/Attack: Ante Rebic/Pepe

tigerline (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 13:51
Quote:
MattySadler
For all we know Mavropanos could have played a bit already this season. He finished last season well but has been out injured ever since. It will be interesting to see what happens when he is back.

It must speak volumes about the quality of our defensive youth players though. I mean, Emery had Iwobi and Maitland-Niles started against Liverpool, he didn't hesitate to put Smith-Rowe in before he got injured, Nketiah has been involved, as has 17 year old Saka recently, yet there's been no sign of any younger defensive players. We only saw Medley after a big injury crisis. This was the same under Wenger as well. It doesn't seem like the quality is there.

Again, I have real doubts about Bould and the negative contributions that he makes at the club. Does he do ANYTHING to identify and develop defensive improvement and prowess?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 15:44
Quote:
Kalela
Saw that too and even mentioned here one or two times. Good size, good pace and strength but very error prone. He is not a natural defender. I was way more impressed by the youngster Daniel Ballard who I think should be the one given a chance. He is much smaller than Medley but he has a good reading of the games and tackles really well.

Yeah Ballard has done well this season.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 17:21
Medley, Willock, Nketiah and Saka have all trained with the first time quite a bit recently and have been in-and-around the matchday squad, so should see them in the FA Cup all being well.

Mavropanos and Smith-Rowe were in light training.

djarse (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 14:23
According to Emery today, Mavropanos has just started training again today - 5 months out - some groin injury !

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 16:32
Quote:
djarse
According to Emery today, Mavropanos has just started training again today - 5 months out - some groin injury !

Saw him score a banger on the club's Instagram account.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 11:14
Good news Mavropanos is set to play for our U23s against Man City on Monday.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 00:42
just put these 2 in against Cardiff. If i have to watch Mustafi again am gonna break my tv ffs!

Shane (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 04:52
Let's hope you watch the game on your phone or laptop that day.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 17:35
Mavrapanos not name in the europa league squad. Emery is clueless.

Holding, Bellerin and Welbeck named due to the homegrown rules!

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 18:52
Quote: Mavrapanos not name in the europa league squad. Emery is clueless.

How do you know? He might have left him out due to injury

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Shane (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 20:19
I would've left Welbeck out even if he was fit.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 17:02
Medley has signed a new long term contract. Has reportedly impressed in first team training this season.

tigerline (IP Logged)
13 February, 2019 02:57
Quote:
MattySadler
Medley has signed a new long term contract. Has reportedly impressed in first team training this season.

Matty, just a note of appreciation for all that you do here.
It is becoming evident that our club will be depending more and more upon our young prospects finding 5heir way into the first team.

Your detailed updates are much appreciated by this remote Arsenal fan.
(Sm128)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net