football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Seriously, which plyers would you keep?
goonerred (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 19:48
I would keep Lacazette, Aubamuyang, Toreirra, Sokratis for now, Bellerin for now, Guekendouzi and Leno for now, the rest can do one.Oh, we have to keep Ozil nobody will pay his salary, he gets paid for naff all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2018 19:49 by goonerred.

Re: Seriously, which plyers would you keep?
CazOnARola (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 19:52
Quote:
goonerred
I would keep Lacazette, Aubamuyang, Toreirra, Sokratis for now, Bellerin for now, Guekendouzi and Leno for now, the rest can do one.Oh, we have to keep Ozil nobody will pay his salary, he gets paid for naff all.
Yep that it. Can add iwobi to the first team squad as a home grown player along side AMN.

The others need to be sold and replaced

Bergmars (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 19:54
Cant see Lacazette staying

Under new managment

goonerred (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 20:00
Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
goonerred
Yep that it. Can add iwobi to the first team squad as a home grown player along side AMN.

The others need to be sold and replaced
I'm not impressed with either Iwobie or AMN

goonerred (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 20:01
Quote:
Bergmars
Cant see Lacazette staying
Maybe not, but I'd still want to keep him.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 20:35
Not many that's for sure.

Leno, Bellerin, Sokratis, Holding, Mavropanos, Maitland-Niles, Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi, Iwobi, Aubameyang and Lacazette, and even then most of those wouldn't even be starters.

----------------Leno

Bellerin--Sokratis--New signing--New signing

-------------Xhaka--Torreira

New signing--New signing--New signing

--------------Aubameyang

Means we'd need to bring in at least 13 players, though will end up being more. I'd also look to phase Sokratis out as soon as a good enough player is identified - you aren't winning sh*t with old defenders in the current footballing climate.

Pressing needs for the first XI: Centre backs need to fit the mould of the current best CBs in the world: Tall, athletic and good on the ball (Mavropanos but better). Left back needs to be athletic and strong defensively and offensively. Can replace Xhaka if we find somebody better in our budget, but the Xhaka-Torreira midfield looked good until they got broken up so it doesn't need to be a priority until other areas are sorted. Wide players need to be fast, skillful, with high levels of productivity. Obviously we will need to replace Ozil as well. It may be difficult finding a player with Ozil's playmaking quality but it certainly won't be hard to find a player with a better attitude.

Obviously we aren't going to bring in 13 players in one or two transfer windows. It will take time and patience (look at Liverpool, for example).

We're going to have a lot more evenings like today along the way.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 20:51
Agree Matty

Under new managment

Kalela (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 20:57
Only decent players on this team are Aubamayang, Lacazette, Torreira, Monreal and Sokratis. I am undecided on Bellerin. He has some good games and some really bad ones. I would keep Holding, Mavrapanos, and Guendouzi because they are young and can possibly improve. I guess the same thing can be said about AMN, Iwobi and Bellerin as well. Also I would give Leno another season and hopefully with a better defense he won't be as bad as he has been lately.

Dream acquisitions:

CB: Issa Diop
RB: Aaron Wan-Bissaka
DM: Franck Kessie/Yves Bissouma/Ndidi
Wing/Attack: Anton Rebic/Pepe

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 21:01
Quote:
Kalela
Only decent players on this team are Aubamayang, Lacazette, Torreira, Monreal and Sokratis. I am undecided on Bellerin. He has some good games and some really bad ones. I would keep Holding, Mavrapanos, and Guendouzi because they are young and can possibly improve. I guess the same thing can be said about AMN, Iwobi and Bellerin as well. Also I would give Leno another season and hopefully with a better defense he won't be as bad as he has been lately.

Agree with all of that but Leno. I don't think he's good enough to be a starter.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 22:24
There seems to be a lack of what I would call "2nd tier" goalkeepers around. You have De Gea, Courtois, Oblack, Ederson, Allison, Neuer, Subasic, Kepa and Ter steigen who are obviously all our of our reach. Then the drop in quality to the next level of keepers is really huge.

Seems like the next tier would be players like Pickford, Navas, Fahrmann, Szczesny and Leno who are all pretty average. And I can't think of anyone in between.

Willy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 23:39
Maybe we could take that Cardiff goalie?

Kalela (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 00:18
I don't know about the other keepers listed but Kepa sucks and allows in a lot of soft goals. He is also a lot shorter than his listed height. Chelsea is just better organized defensively compared to Arsenal.

Dream acquisitions:

CB: Issa Diop
RB: Aaron Wan-Bissaka
DM: Franck Kessie/Yves Bissouma/Ndidi
Wing/Attack: Anton Rebic/Pepe

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 01:06
Players I will keep for next season:

#1 - Leno - good backup
#2 - Bellerin - a gem which we can sell to Barca for 80-mil in 2020.
#3 - Sokratis
#4 - Holding
#5 - Mavropanos
#6 - Kolasinac - a superb wingback wiht Holding playing behind him.
#7 - Torreira - a gem which we can sell to Real or Barca for 80-mil in 2020.
#8 - Ozil - get real guys. Nobody can afford his 350,000 pw salary and he loves London.
#9 - Iwobi
#10- Aubameyang
#11- Lacazette - sell him, Bad body language and will not fit into Uani Emery's team.

Lichsteiner, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Xhaka, Ramsey, Maitland-Niles - get rid of them.

Shane (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 13:52
Nobody's going to spend £80 million on Bellerin mate. I honestly think Eboue was a better right-back for Arsenal.

goonerred (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 14:13
Quote:
Shane
Nobody's going to spend £80 million on Bellerin mate. I honestly think Eboue was a better right-back for Arsenal.
I agree, Bellerin had such potential, but he seems to have lost the plot for the most part. We seem to be exposed down that right- hand side in defence at times and he doesn't seem to have the same pace going forward.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 14:26
Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Shane
I agree, Bellerin had such potential, but he seems to have lost the plot for the most part. We seem to be exposed down that right- hand side in defence at times and he doesn't seem to have the same pace going forward.
He has lost pace both sides of the pitch. Maybe he always had issues with awareness but used to make it up using his recovery ace which is certainly not at the level that was there at his peak and hence his struggles.

Also he hasnt been the same aince he was moved to a wing back in a back 5 (when we moved to 3 at the back) in the second half of the season ending 2017. It also coincides with the barca rumours but hasnt been tje same player ever since.

Shane (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 14:42
I'm not sure he was ever that good if I'm honest. Was he ever brilliant or was he just brilliant for his age? There's a difference.

It's not hard for a young player's stock to rise these days. It's incredibly simple in fact, and that's because they're judged by different standards I think. Their strengths will be exaggerated and their weaknesses minimised.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 15:17
[quote Shane]I'm not sure he was ever that good if I'm honest. Was he ever brilliant or was he just brilliant for his age? There's a difference.

It's not hard for a young player's stock to rise these days. It's incredibly simple in fact, and that's because they're judged by different standards I think. Their strengths will be exaggerated and their weaknesses minimised.[/quote
]
Agreed ppl will always look at potential and it clouds the overall judgment. Bit like guendouzi.

But i remember when we were on a good run under wenger, i used to think how crucial monreal and Bellerin were, as they were directly responsible for posting the first good out ball and then joining in the attack and also remember both clearing balls off the line.
There was a time when walcott and bellerin were linking up very well, i think before theo s ACL injury.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2018 15:19 by CazOnARola.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 17:20
Need major upgrades at right and left backs. Bellerin has regressed since he decided he wants to be a fashion model. Monreal is getting on age and starting to get injured. frequently. Need an experienced CB who can organise the defence and deal with crosses. Cahill fits the bill for the short term. May not be as fast as before so if he is partnered with someone speedy, we should be fine. Need someone better than Xhaka to complement Torriera in midfield. Xhaka can't tackle and is too slow on the ball. Need an attacker who is fast and tricky on the ball. Able to deliver accurate crosses. Iwobi is still too inconsistent and full of poor on field decision making. He can still be a very good prospect.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 18:28
Leno: Not good enough, but this is his first season. Maybe he can improve with a better defense, so keep him one more season.

Bellerin: Still young, another reason.

Mustafi: Not a starter, but can be kept.

Sokratis

Maitland-Niles: Young

Torreira

Xhaka: I think he has improved this season. Wouldn't be a starter

Aubameyang: Proven goal score

Lacazette

The rest can leave

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 19:39
Iwobi is home grown and a good squad player to play in the cups. We don't have many home grown players left. Ramsey will be another British player who leaves.

We will probably have to keep Nelson here next season to meet the quotas.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 January, 2019 11:38
Quote:
CazOnARola
Iwobi is home grown and a good squad player to play in the cups. We don't have many home grown players left. Ramsey will be another British player who leaves.
We will probably have to keep Nelson here next season to meet the quotas.

Home grown quota could prove an issue as we've lost a lot of senior home grown players in recent windows.

That's part of the reason I would like to see us buy British/ home grown if possible, but unfortunately they are expensive.

Max Aarons, Ben Chilwell, Harry Maguire and Ezri Konsa would pretty much cover the full back and centre back positions, but you're looking at at least £100 million for the Leicester two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 17:23 by MattySadler.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 14:11
Throwback to this thread, the size of the task that is ahead of us.

We have so many areas that need strengthening and players that need moving on.

This isn't Football Manager or FIFA. Such a high turnover of players in a short space of time just isn't realistic.

We'll definitely lose Cech, Lichtsteiner, Ramsey and Welbeck this summer. If we could lose a couple more as well, like Jenkinson, Elneny, Mkhitaryan, etc, that would be a good starting point.

goonerred (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 14:34
Quote:
MattySadler

This isn't Football Manager or FIFA. Such a high turnover of players in a short space of time just isn't realistic.

We'll definitely lose Cech, Lichtsteiner, Ramsey and Welbeck this summer. If we could lose a couple more as well, like Jenkinson, Elneny, Mkhitaryan, etc, that would be a good starting point.

What length of contract did we give Mkhitaryan? No player will go anywhere if they are on too high a salary that they won't get anywhere else, we're stuck with them. Sometimes I think somebody in the club set us up for this fiasco of our highly payed players.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 14:44
Quote:
goonerred
What length of contract did we give Mkhitaryan? No player will go anywhere if they are on too high a salary that they won't get anywhere else, we're stuck with them. Sometimes I think somebody in the club set us up for this fiasco of our highly payed players.

He'll have another two seasons to run after this one.

I'm certain the Ozil contract extension and moves for Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan were part of a failed last ditch attempt to finish top four last season.

goonerred (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 14:59
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
goonerred

He'll have another two seasons to run after this one.

I'm certain the Ozil contract extension and moves for Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan were part of a failed last ditch attempt to finish top four last season.

I think there was lot of saving face with Ozil because one of our star players was leaving and we didn't want another to as well. I don't have a problem with us signing Abu, it's giving Xhaka, Jenkinson and the like a new contract when we could have got rid of them. Mkhitaryan made sense in the fact that at least we had another player to make up the money as Sanchez would just have been gone on a free too.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 15:38
Quote:
goonerred
I think there was lot of saving face with Ozil because one of our star players was leaving and we didn't want another to as well. I don't have a problem with us signing Abu, it's giving Xhaka, Jenkinson and the like a new contract when we could have got rid of them. Mkhitaryan made sense in the fact that at least we had another player to make up the money as Sanchez would just have been gone on a free too.

Yeah I agree we wanted to keep at least one of Ozil and Alexis so we still looked big time. It was a mistake in hindsight.

I have no problem with Aubameyang either. I've always been a big fan.

Mkhitaryan I erred on the side of caution with just because he had that one real amazing season and hadn't done anything since. I think he's been a real mixed bag for us.

The big problem, though, was having around £750k per week wages tied up in 3 players in their late 20s/ early 30s with little to no resale value.

goonerred (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:19
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
goonerred

Yeah I agree we wanted to keep at least one of Ozil and Alexis so we still looked big time. It was a mistake in hindsight.

I have no problem with Aubameyang either. I've always been a big fan.

Mkhitaryan I erred on the side of caution with just because he had that one real amazing season and hadn't done anything since. I think he's been a real mixed bag for us.

The big problem, though, was having around £750k per week wages tied up in 3 players in their late 20s/ early 30s with little to no resale value.

This is particularly ironic when we had the policy of only giving 30 year-olds a one year contract extension renewable every year thereafter for years under Wenger, the likes of Pires and Bergkamp included in that.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:52
Quote:
MattySadler

Don't be too downhearted.
Leicester City barely avoided relegation and was favorite candidate for relegation in the next season.

Bought only 2 players in Kante and Mahrez which our dumbfcuk of a manager was clueless about their ability and deemed had "wacthed" Kante and decided not to buy.

Perhaps, Emery can do a "Leicester City" next season.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:54
I'm not downhearted pal!

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:59
Good for you.

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net