football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

We need to sign players in the transfer window
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 23:10
We need 2 CB's, a CM playmaker and a direct winger if we went to realistically challange until the end of the season for top 4

Am very happy with our current run but we haven't got a big enough squad to play in 4 competions and will fall away if we don't bring in reinforcements.

Re: We need to sign players in the transfer window
CazOnARola (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 01:31
Agreed.. We need a centre back badly. Tricky pacy winger next to affect the game like that, A b2b to replace Ramsey. Guendouzi isn't ready, you need someone who can score and has quality touches like torreira. Xhaka is quality in his shooting but his immobility hurts us

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 01:36
For next season, top priority is a left back as monreal and sead will not suffice. Nacho getting on a bit now. Ideally a young promising player. Kolasinac is a liability when playing out from the back as well as defensively

goonerred (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 06:47
I agree with all of the above. For once, I'm actually looking forward t a transfer window, Wenger always had an excuse as to why we couldn't sign players in WC or EC years, January no good because you can't sign big payers. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Unai will do.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:16
I think the next couple of transfer windows are going to be super exciting. Given that we are pretty certain to be getting rid of Ramsey, welbeck and cech and it looks likely that we'll get rid of koscielny, ozil, elneny and monreal, there are lots of positions we desperately need reinforcements.

A couple of shrewd deals in January in the defence and a major overhaul in the summer will be needed given all of that. Should be fun

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:52
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
We need 2 CB's, a CM playmaker and a direct winger if we went to realistically challange until the end of the season for top 4
Am very happy with our current run but we haven't got a big enough squad to play in 4 competions and will fall away if we don't bring in reinforcements.

Damn, you dont ask for a lot, do you? Do you really think we can sign all those players to solve all our problems in one January window. You'll just end up being disappointed as usual.

And no, we don't need all those reinforcements just to challenge for Top4. We are already challenging plus Man Utd have fallen away.

One or two shrewd buys is all we will do in January. It's likely in the summer you will see us get the higher quality players we need to really become a top team again.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 17:33
I'll be happy with one player. We are doing incredibly well, I'm pretty happy with what the manager has got out of the squad and we have great young talent coming through I'd rather see playing.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:57
Quote:
younghansolo
I'll be happy with one player. We are doing incredibly well, I'm pretty happy with what the manager has got out of the squad and we have great young talent coming through I'd rather see playing.

I agree, getting a whole load of players in as Singh wants is not the solution. Better to focus on one or two quality players that can hit the ground running and make an impact short & long term.

Kalela (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 00:48
I thought I replied to this thread but I don't see it now. confused smiley Anyhow a decent defensive midfielder is needed more than a player in any other position in my opinion. I really don't see this team winning many games with Xhaka and Guendouzi in midfield in the event Torreira gets injured. And with how reckless Torreira can be when playing, there is a decent chance he will miss some games due to injury.

Dream acquisitions:

CB: Issa Diop
RB: Aaron Wan-Bissaka
DM: Franck Kessie/Yves Bissouma/Ndidi
Wing/Attack: Anton Rebic/Pepe

Bergmars (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 11:24
Unai has players performing better and they are fitter we do need signings but maybe not as much emergency as under our last encumbent

Under new managment

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 17:26
Most likely we will have injuries like in the previous era. We have already had a few setbacks in training with players not returning as expected when they first got injured. I'm not sure if monreal s injury was also expected to be this long when first reported.

Considering the level shown by guendouzi and iwobi and also the min they have played, i would'nt say it's a very thin squad, but slowly players have been dropping like flies.

The amount of work rate being put in, by end of January we might be in trouble.

Also we have played a lot of home games against good teams (include wolves and Leicester, both are very good teams).
We are going to struggle in the second half just like we did in the second half at United and will be limping.

We need a couple of signings, else we need to be ok with 5th/6th this season and maybe a cup run

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 17:37
Just to put this into perspective, out of the top 12 teams we still need to play following teams away from home

City
Liverpool
Spurs
Everton
Leicester
Brighton
West Ham
Watford
Wolves

All the above teams can beat us away from home considering our defense.

Apart from those
We have below home games
Chelsea
United

I see the current defense dropping points in most of the above matches.

Top 4 is probably not realistic this season. Maybe 6th again , 5th at best. Unless we get a miraculous upgrade on mustafi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2018 10:54 by CazOnARola.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 09:45
It's between us and Chelsea for 4th. Chelsea have got hard away games left too.

We need to add real quality to ourr defence and attack. CM probably can wait until the summer.

Manolas and Ismail Sarr would add that quailty.

What players do you reckon we can get in Jan?

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 13:50
I'm thinking some unknown guy from Germany as I don't see us spending 75mn like Liverpool.

Let's hope the scouts do a good job. I say Germany as that's svens home ground

weedz (IP Logged)
12 December, 2018 01:23
I reckon there's good chance we've secured Dembele, on loan, for the rest of the season, with an option for the 2019/20 season as well.

Barca have a problem with the wealth of talent they have in their forward line. In their perfect world OD would take what chances they offered him and in a season and a haif he'd be ready to step into Messi's boots.

But Dembele ain't having a barr of it and wants to play a lot more games. He also wants to play mainly on the right of Barcas favoured front 3. And that ain't gonna happen because of the for-mentioned LM.

By loaning him out, Barca solve the issue of a disgruntled starlet and retain ownership.

There is plenty of evidence on the net of Dembeles fondness of the EPL and Arsenal. So I remain hopeful.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 December, 2018 03:02
Considering his salary, the amount of of time it takes a player to settle in, and the fact that we recruitment team would be busy chasing defenders, it looks very unlikely to me.

The net just tells me that dembele s representatives just each to put pressure on barca and are offering dembele to arsenal. Neither barca nor arsenal seem to be interested

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 15:49
I think it's obvious nowbif we don't sign players we'll fail away.

We lack quality in defence, CM and on the wings.

We need new players badly.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 16:12
Have said before we need a few players to be challenging again.
And that isn't just going to happen in January.
Probably 2 or 3 transfer windows.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 16:23
Top 4 is a big ask this season. Buying players in January is unlikely to change that as we aint spending £75M on a world class player.

Our best hope is Chelsea or Spurs from drop significantly and ours improve.

If you look at the league. Spurs points tally is higher than Barca who is top of LA Liga. So its a big ask for us to get near them if they maintain it.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 16:24
We will probably finish 6th, if we sign players we will probably finish 5th

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 16:55
I still think we can fight Chelsea for 4th if we sign some players in Jan.

A injury to Hazard and Chelsea are in big trouble.

Shane (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 21:03
Quote:
CazOnARola

It's a bad season if we finish sixth. I like Emery but I'm not sure that would or should buy him a second season.

celine dion (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 21:32
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
CazOnARola

It's a bad season if we finish sixth. I like Emery but I'm not sure that would or should buy him a second season.

Dont be silly every manager should get two seasons especially one trying to replace one who was at the club for 20 years.

He's trying to change the entire mindset of the club. First two games of the season were against two of the three strongest teams in the country and he very nearly beat one of them. then he's gone unbeaten until xmas. Only lost today because his entire defence was out. Blokes taking the club places. Even if he does come 6th its no worse than Wenger and he then deserves a second season to identify the issues and continue to sort them out as he has been doing this season. Yes if he comes 10th then he has to go, but same or better than Wenger is fine. Give him 3 years, if he changes the entire squad to his own choices and its worse then Wengers, then yes, he has to go. But not 6th after a first season.

Shane (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 21:40
I like him as much as anyone but Arsenal is a massive club and our rivals wouldn't give a new manager carte blanche for three years. He has to make constant progress and doing no worse than Wenger isn't enough in my view.

celine dion (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 21:57
Its a hard one Shane but I think you have to look at context.

For example his first two defeats came against two of the best three teams in the league and his third when his entire back line was missing.

I would need to see a real collapse with his full squad in place before I felt he wasn't an improvement on Wenger. A lot of his signings this summer were made in haste or not by him at all.

Dont forget last season Wenger was bowling up to places like Newcastle Watford Brighton Bournemouth and getting thoroughly outdone and didnt have much of an excuse.

Emery has to be given time to sort out the Ozil issue and root out relics of the Wenger era like Koscielny and Elneny, that will take two seasons. If he isn't top 4 at the end of that, then, yes, he would have to go. But Im fairly confident he will sort it. Probably at the expense of Tottenham who will find things more and more difficult as the financial issues associated with their stadium take hold and there is also a strong likelihood that their manager will be poached I think. Would be far too early to take a view on it this season.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 22:42
The other context is that City, Liverpool and Spurs are having outstanding seasons and chelsea are having a very good season.Last season we were 16 points off 4 place and 21 points off 3rd. If we can close that gap, even if we finish 5th then that will be progress.

celine dion (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 22:48
thank you superrob. you have always been a very sensible person on here.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 23:36
True.
His KPI:

#1 - Give him 2 seasons to regain Top-4 status.
#2 - Develop youngsters like Smith-Rowe, Joe Willock, Nketiah, Saka, Medley, Gilmour, Guendouzi.
#3 - Mislintat to scout and buy a LB, CB, central midfielder, a dribbler and a forward.

That is, can Mislintat find raw gems to replace these players within the next 2 seasons?
#1 - Ramsey
#2 - Welbeck
#3 - Koscielny
#4 - Elneny
#5 - Ozil
#5 - Iwobi
#6 - Xhaka
#7 - Mustafi
#8 - Cech

I see him extending Cech contract one more season as a superb back-up or 3rd choice.

Ozil will need to go to free up salary budget plus his body language is not good and he is not hungry.

Welbeck is injury-prone and free up space for the likes of Nketiah, Saka, Nelson and Smith_Rowe.

Iwobi is just a squad player and no great loss if he is sold.

Xhaka is dodgy and always lack concentration and always have 1 or 2 serious error in him to let in goals.

Mustafi is unreliable and needs replacement.

We really need a wide player more urgently than LB or CB or CM this season.

Once we overcome December with injured players returning, we do not need a LB or CB this season but desperately needed a tricky and pacy winger to provide support for Lacazette and Aubameyang with both Xhaka-Torreira commanding the centre.

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

Shane (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 00:08
Quote:
SuperRob
Last season we were 16 points off 4 place and 21 points off 3rd. If we can close that gap, even if we finish 5th, then that will be progress.

Progress on Wenger's Arsenal team of last season, yeah, but that isn't the aim. The aim is to make Arsenal better than the teams ahead of us and the best way to measure that is by league position, not points, which is completely variable.

If we finish sixth this season and only four points adrift of the top four then nobody's going to be celebrating that. It's a failure because in terms league position we're no closer to getting where we need to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/12/2018 00:10 by Shane.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 00:21
Shane, I would be happy with 6th for this season.

But next season?
No excuse if we do not finish in Top-4.

We should be happy that Emery had rejuvenated the team.
No more going belly up whenever we are behind.

This is the KPI for Emery this season, which should be equal if not better than Arsene Wenger for the past 10 seasons:

24 wins 7 draws 7 losses.
Surely Emery can't do worse than that?

And of course, at least reaching a semi-final in a Cup competition.

'I like the total intensification, where there are crashes and bangs everywhere, pure adrenaline and no one being able to breathe' Jurgen Klopp.

Shane (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 01:56
I don't think we should judge Emery by how he does in comparison to Wenger last season. I mean, why would he be judged by how he does versus the Arsenal of last season rather than the Chelsea or Spurs of this season?

When I said I wanted 'constant progress' I meant a constant increase in our ambition every year. I want a top-four finish, then a Premier League title challenge and then the title itself. I don't want Emery's Arsenal just being better than Wenger's because that may not mean very much unless there's actual movement in the table.

It really doesn't matter if this Arsenal team gets 15 more points than Wenger's team of last season if we finish sixth again, because there would still be five teams better than us, just like there was when Wenger left, and for me that wouldn't represent a forward step.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/12/2018 01:57 by Shane.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 03:01
Quote:
Shane
I don't think we should judge Emery by how he does in comparison to Wenger last season. I mean, why would he be judged by how he does versus the Arsenal of last season rather than the Chelsea or Spurs of this season?
When I said I wanted 'constant progress' I meant a constant increase in our ambition every year. I want a top-four finish, then a Premier League title challenge and then the title itself. I don't want Emery's Arsenal just being better than Wenger's because that may not mean very much unless there's actual movement in the table.

It really doesn't matter if this Arsenal team gets 15 more points than Wenger's team of last season if we finish sixth again, because there would still be five teams better than us, just like there was when Wenger left, and for me that wouldn't represent a forward step.
The players area the boat pbm Shane. The reason United are behind us and the rest ahead of us is because they have better players. We sold Gabriel and never replaced him with another, even on paper, experienced defender.
This is similar to the wenger era where we go into the season short in an area. I agree that the injuries haven't helped, but kos was going to be out half of the season. And we just had mustafi and sokratis as regular experienced CBs. Sanhelli( dunno how its spelled) and mislintat gambled with holding and mavropanos and while they might be good prospects, mavropanos esp should be in your reserve team /youth team only required should there be an injury to your 4 first choice CBs.
Holding to falls into that same category.

While ppl will point to holding s development, i would say that they should be developing in the youth team of on loan with a recall clause. That way if something happens to your first choice 4 (out of which one is kos), you have mavropanos and holding standing by.

We are not too different from the wenger era in this matter imho. Playing youth players as are our second choices, when reality of should be done experienced 26-29 years old CB like gabriel.

Effectively starting the season with 2 CB, and one of them being mustafi was diabolical. If mustafi got injured first game for about 3 months after the transfer window shut, holding and sokratis would have been playing every single game.

Raul and sven have to answer for this imho as they are calling emery "head coach".

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 03:45
Quote:
Shane

We can't compete against the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Chelski and ManU for the next 2 or 3 seasons unless we have a settled side like Tiny Totts and reinforced the squad like Klopp did last season.

As long as Silent Stan maintained the "self sustainable" model of working within our revenues generated, our only hope to compete against the Big 4 is to unearthed gems and to unearth and coach a group of our youths to senior level like Ajax 1970s or Fergie Fledgings or Guardiola Barca.

Tiny Totts got lucky for the last 2 or 3 season with their group of young players developed by Ponchenetto and their academy products.

It is really back to 1996 to 2002 where Arsene Wenger unearthed gems and developed them into French Spine. But Bruce Rioch did a massive favor by buying Bergy and GG left behind the Fab-4 to maintain a bedrock for Arsene Wenger to spring forward.

What did Arsene Wenger left behind for Unai Emery?

#1 - A Mesut Ozil who is a shadow of Bergy.
#2 - A shaky Back-4 that is not fit to polish the shoes of Fab-4.
#3 - An ageing Cech versus an ageing Seaman?
#4 - Ramsey, Wilshere instead of Parlour, Platt.

A massive improvement is when we can equal and improve on "24 wins 7 draws 7 losses" = 79 points, normally good enough for Top-4 for past 10 seasons.

The last time we collected 79 points was in 2013/14 season.
Before that, 83 points for 2007/08 season.
That is how dire Arsenal FC were during the last 10 seasons.

Hence, I had written off this season like Wenger 1996/97 season.
Am looking forward to 2019/20 season like 1997/98 season.

hippogunner (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 07:51
Quote:
Shane

I understand your point but you have to wonder just how big a club Arsenal is. You get some indication of that by the way they let Wenger manage for nearly fifteen years without a league title. A big club discards managers frequently if they don't win major honours. One wonders what the status of Arsenal is or what the owner intends it to be. Big clubs pour money into the manager's lap, that's how many gauge the status of modern clubs.

Chelsea, Manu and City would rid themselves of a manager who doesn't guarantee CL football every other season, if not every season. Patience is not their remit. Pool and Spurs operate on a lower level financially although Pool have spent big in the last few years. So should we I believe. Will our owner have that ambition?

Emery deserves two years minimum but I'd much rather we had signed Klopp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/12/2018 07:52 by hippogunner.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 09:49
If only we had signed Klopp or Pep, instead board bottled it whilst some fans said be careful what you wish for. Wasn’t a bad wish

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 10:45
Personally, I could see Spurs dropping a few points in the second half of the season. There's a lot going on at that club. Moving stadium mid season is not going to be an easy thing to manage.

I think our ambition should be to finish fourth and no lower.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 10:58
Quote:
celine dion
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
CazOnARola

Dont be silly every manager should get two seasons especially one trying to replace one who was at the club for 20 years.

He's trying to change the entire mindset of the club. First two games of the season were against two of the three strongest teams in the country and he very nearly beat one of them. then he's gone unbeaten until xmas. Only lost today because his entire defence was out. Blokes taking the club places. Even if he does come 6th its no worse than Wenger and he then deserves a second season to identify the issues and continue to sort them out as he has been doing this season. Yes if he comes 10th then he has to go, but same or better than Wenger is fine. Give him 3 years, if he changes the entire squad to his own choices and its worse then Wengers, then yes, he has to go. But not 6th after a first season.

Under new managment

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 21:35
The need for new players can't be any more obvious.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 21:39
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
The need for new players can't be any more obvious.

Haha true that, but nothing major is happening i think.

Shane (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 22:26
Quote:
hippogunner
I understand your point but you have to wonder just how big a club Arsenal is. You get some indication of that by the way they let Wenger manage for nearly fifteen years without a league title. A big club discards managers frequently if they don't win major honours. One wonders what the status of Arsenal is or what the owner intends it to be. Big clubs pour money into the manager's lap, that's how many gauge the status of modern clubs.
Chelsea, Manu and City would rid themselves of a manager who doesn't guarantee CL football every other season, if not every season. Patience is not their remit. Pool and Spurs operate on a lower level financially although Pool have spent big in the last few years. So should we I believe. Will our owner have that ambition?

Emery deserves two years minimum but I'd much rather we had signed Klopp.

I get the two-year thing, but I think he needs to earn a second season. There has to be a very strong case by May that Arsenal are going places under Emery for him to stay. If the season finished tomorrow then he'd get that second year no problem, but there's six months of the season left and if there's more cons than pros by then we should re-evaluate.

If our defence is worse than last season, which statistically it is at the moment, then that'll be a big problem. We can say he still has Wenger's defence for the most part but it's never going to be his defence, because he isn't solely in charge of transfers.

Shane (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 22:38
Another thing: the fact Carl Jenkinson played for Arsenal the other week should remind us that the club and Wenger doled out reward after reward without much merit. Jenkinson, who has 18 months left on his contract somehow, is a prime example of this.

It's a terrible habit and one that had to stop when Wenger and Gazidis left, so I think it'd be a huge step in the right direction if we did judge Emery on a season-by-season basis and didn't commit to keeping him before he's earned that privilege.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 22:46
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
CazOnARola

first year records of the 3 best managers in England:

The year before Klopp joined liverpool they finished 6th. In his first season they finished 8th.

Pep improved City by 1 place in his first season from 4th to 3rd.

Pochettino improved spurs by 1 place in his first seasons from 6th to 5th.

If Emery can stop our downward trajectory or even improve us 1 place from 6th to 5th then that would be a massive success considering the shape the squad is in given the mismanagement of the finances over the last 5 or 6 years. Only if we finish 8th or below should we even be considering getting rid of him.

Otherwise we set a precedent of replacing the manager every year and that very rarely leads to any kind of improvement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/12/2018 22:48 by SuperRob.

Shane (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 23:00
In other words, they all made tangible progress within one full season, so I don't know why we should expect less from Emery. Fourth is great. Fifth is fine. Sixth isn't. Seventh is a problem. Eighth is an automatic dismissal.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 23:20
2 out of 3 made some small progress in clubs that were previously finishing in a stable position. Arsenal has been gradually getting worse for the past 4 years and has been stale for 10.

And that's if we're judging him against these 3 managers, who have taken their clubs to higher standards than the clubs have been at in the last 40 years. Van Gaal and Mourinho were given two seasons at Utd. Brendan Rodgers was given 3 seasons at liverpool. Mancini and Pellegrini were both given 3 years at City after unspectacular starts.

You only get rid of a manager after 1 season if you're sure you've made a huge mistake and hired someone who is completely out of their depth, like Moyes at Utd.

So I would say that 4th would be an unbelievable achievement, 5th is great, 6th is good, 7th isn't but isn't bad enough to get rid and we won't finish 8th. It's just unfortunate for him that he's taken over at a time when 3 clubs are performing pretty much at their peak. Pep, Klopp and Pochettino won't stay in their current roles forever and the best strategy for us at the mometn is to build and be at a stable point to take the opportunity when those clubs have a difficult transition season. But we can't do that by being permanently in transition like Utd have been since Ferguson left.

Spurs, City and Liverpool are uncatchable.

Chelsea have Hazard and Kante and went and spent £70m on a goalkeeper in the summer.

To finish above any of these teams with this arsenal squad in his first season will be extremely difficult.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/12/2018 00:12 by SuperRob.

Shane (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 00:46
None of those managers were 'given' anything Rob. They all earned a second season.

Van Gaal got United back into the Champions League at the first time of asking, as did Mourinho who also won two trophies during his first season. Pellegrini won the title in his first season, while Mancini took Man City from finishing 10th to missing out on the Champions League spots by losing a shootout with Spurs for fourth.

Their time at those clubs wasn't 'given'. Chairman and owners aren't in the business of being charitable to their managers for no reason and neither should ours. The reason why any of them got a second season is because they either achieved their mandate straight off the bat or the progress - like in Mancini's case - was too obvious to ignore.

Shane (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 00:49
As for Emery having an extremely difficult job, aye he does. It'll be extremely difficult next season too, but you know what, that's the job. With the money involved, it will never not be extremely difficult.

It was extremely difficult for Wenger to win the Premier League when he had to rebuild his best XI every second season, but nobody particularly cared and rightly so because, again, that was the job and we judged him on whether he succeeded or failed, irrespective of the difficulty of that task.

There's only certain allowances we can make for Emery I think, given it's his first season, but 'it's too hard' isn't an excuse if he does wind up failing.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 06:02
If we do not finish above united then i think it's not a good season. Even if they improve second half of the season, there is no reason for us to drop our advantage. 5th place is good expectation to have. Don't see anybody getting into the top 4 unless chelsea drops form Dramatically. Don't expect spurs to collapse and pool and city are in a league of their own

hippogunner (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 08:10
SuperRob and Shane you both make good points.

I stress once again that Arsenal are not Manu, Chelsea, City; or even Pool these days. I don't think our owner will hand Emery 150 million, the likely minimum needed to challenge for major honours. Those four clubs have owners who will pump money into their clubs. We seemingly don't. We also have numerous no-mark players who will sell for peanuts. The club is stuck in first gear and Emery may not know how to shift it into second. I can see us going through a Liverpool type ten years with the main hope being we shed the Kronke blight. Unless of course they do throw money at the club.

There have been long periods in Arsenal history where ambition is opaque. I fear we are still in one.

Shane (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 10:11
Liverpool didn't give Klopp £150 million immediately. He spent around £60 million during his firvst two transfer windows, but he spent very well.

He trimmed the fat - some might say literally after getting rid of Kolo Toure - kept what he needed and supplemented what he inherited from Rodgers with the additions of Mane, Klavan and Joel Matip.

And voila, Liverpool are back in the Champions League in Klopp's first full season.

Obviously Klopp has done remarkably well but the foundations aren't built on one big-money signing after the other. His success stems from some pretty basic management and shrewd signings and I don't think it's asking a lot of our new regime to do the same.

Actually, I think we'd be doing far better this season had we not spent £20 million on a goalkeeper we didn't need, and signed two defenders with that money instead. If Wenger tried to improve a horrid defence by signing Sokratis and a right-back the same age as Bacary Sagna we'd never stop mentioning it.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 10:45
It largely depends on who is choosing the targets doubt its Unai

Under new managment

Shane (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 11:59
Nah I know mate. I wasn't blaming him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net