football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

On some of tonight's youngsters
MattySadler (IP Logged)
29 November, 2018 17:23
A lot of youngsters and potential debutants involved tonight. We already know Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Emile Smith-Rowe and Eddie Nketiah well. But how about the rest?

Joe Willock is another comparatively well known to us, having made 11 first team appearances in all competitions last season, without ever really impressing. This season, however, he appears to have stepped up and added an attacking edge to his game, with 5 goals and 1 assist in 9 appearances for our second string. He has also been in good form for England U20s. His call up tonight is thoroughly deserved.

We might've seen more of Jordi Osei-Tutu already this season, given our full back crisis, but he has been injured himself. He made his comeback as a sub the other day for our U23s. Having signed for us from Reading a few years ago, he was an unused sub for the first team 6 times last season. The right back is fast, skillful, can play further forward or at left back. I've found him to be better going forward than defensively, but he is always improving.

18 year old left-sided centre back Zech Medley joined us following his release from Chelsea two years ago. He's been a regular for our second string and was an unused sub for us against Leicester earlier this season. When I've seen him prior to this season I've thought he looked strong physically and good on the ball, but not great defensively, though he may have improved.

Scotland youth international midfielder Charlie Gilmour has been with us since he was 6. He's primarily a defensive midfielder but can also play further forward. He bases his game on Santi Cazorla's, fancying himself as being two footed and good on the ball. He's also a good penalty taker. He didn't feature much for the second string last season but has been a regular so far this season.

England youth international Bukayo Saka might be one of the most exciting talents on our books. Despite only being 17 he has been a regular for our second string this season. He is very highly rated by the club. He is primarily a left winger but can also play left back. I've been really impressed whenever I've seen him. He's very fast, skillful, direct and has a great cross on him.

Another England youth international, Tyreece John-Jules has been in great form this season for our youth sides, with 6 goals in 11 games, as well as with the England U18s. When I've seen him I've found him to be an intelligent forward. I've been impressed by his work rate and fitness levels, his movement, link-up and hold-up play, as well as his finishing. His uncle is Danny John-Jules, better known as The Cat from Red Dwarf.

Youth left back Dominic Thompson has been left out of tonight's match day squad, but did travel with the squad to Ukraine. Some have expressed surprise at his involvement as he hasn't always been first choice for our second string this season, though he's called him up to train with the first team quite a bit in Monreal's absence. I've not seen much of him but I found him to be better defensively than he is going forward, which is pretty rare for an Arsenal full back.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 17:47 by Padre Pio.

Re: On some of tonight's youngsters
MattySadler (IP Logged)
29 November, 2018 17:39
Forgot about Deyan Iliev, who also traveled but hasn't made the squad. He's a 23 year old Macedonian goalkeeper who missed about two years of football prior to last season due to injury. Since returning he's been a regular for our second string, and signed a new contract in the summer. Personally I much preferred Joao Virginia. Still gutted he left for Everton...

weedz (IP Logged)
29 November, 2018 19:17
Thanx for the info Matty. It's made the my watching more interesting

djarse (IP Logged)
29 November, 2018 22:28
Matty's back ! Hooray !

tigerline (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 02:49
Quote:
djarse
Matty's back ! Hooray !

All is well again ... Finally!

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 13:53
Medley looked great when he came on. He's f ucking huge too which is a bouns!

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
30 November, 2018 15:55
Welcome back matty!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net