football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Emery says Arsenal were in decline during Wenger's final years.
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 22:07
Unai Emery believes Arsenal were in decline towards the end of Arsene Wenger's 22-year reign and "had to change things".

The Gunners will resume Premier League action following the international break with a trip to Bournemouth on Sunday, live on Sky Sports, looking to extend a 16-match unbeaten run in all competitions.

Arsenal failed to finish in the top four for the first time under Wenger in the 2016/17 season and again missed out on the Champions League places in the Frenchman's final season in charge.

Emery praised Wenger's achievements at Arsenal but says a loss of a "defensive structure" was the reason behind the club's struggles in his later years at the helm.

"I met once with [Wenger], and little else. I respect him a lot, but no matter how much info he gave me, I had to change things," Emery told Marca.

"I told the players: 'We started at kilometre zero'. Even now, four months later, I still say it: 'We are in the beginning!'.

"Before Wenger arrived, Arsenal celebrated the 1-0 (win) and was based on defensive solidity. Then with Arsene, joy was turned into attack, with players of good standing, and the perfect combination was 'The Invincibles'," he said.

"But over time, only technical quality and offensive freedom were taken care of, and the team lost the defensive structure.

"What I want is to unite both essences and be more competitive. The Arsenal was in decline. We had to stop it and start climbing."

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Re: Emery says Arsenal were in decline during Wenger's final years.
BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 09:48
As happy as I am that Wenger is gone and do like what I've seen from Emery so far, the last thing I'd be doing if I was Unai is bragging about improving the "defensive structure" just yet.

Although a work in progress, our defence still needs to be improved massively. We have been very lucky in a few of these games during the run as our defence has been terrible.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 11:15
Quote Emery: "I told the players: 'We started at kilometre zero'. Even now, four months later, I still say it: 'We are in the beginning!'.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 23:43
Yes, he is correct to say he will start from Ground Zero.

But he got off a flying start by signing Torreira.
And signing experienced defenders in Lichsteiner and Sokratis buy him leadership and time for them to mentor those youngsters to step up a gear to play in senior team.

We are still leaking goals.
We will know at season's end how good our defence is.

His 2nd target is to win silverware.
Carabao Cup is the first milestone on the progress that Emery had made for this post-Wenger team.

Emery will not have any more excuses for 2019/20 season.

'Love is a dream, wholly subjective. People fall in love with the most extraordinary people' Nancy Mitford.

goonerred (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 14:17
Don't want to hear Emery telling us about Wenger, I want to see him improve things.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 16:30
Well beating Bournemouth away was an improvement

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net