football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Down to Earth .....
djarse (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 09:59
So the unbeaten run continues though with lower expectations. Four draws and a surprisingly unconvincing win against Blackpool in the last 5 games.

Occasional flashes of brilliance and potential - against Leicester and Liverpool - but mostly riding our luck to avoid defeats. We will have a clearer idea of our progress after playing Spurs twice and Man U & Liverpool in our 9 games in December.

No doubt there are encouraging signs - the players are fitter from being worked harder, a bit smarter tactically, the manager is using substitutions and tactics better than Wenger, some players' form has improved under Emery, Leno & Torreira are excellent additions to the team, and we have been a bit unlucky with so many injuries in defence. But the inconsistency has not been removed and some players continue to look not good enough. But at the beginning of the season, most of us would have been happy with 5th after 12 games and a record of 12 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats by mid-November.

Emery will need the rest of the season to fully assess the squad and begin to rebuild for the future. I doubt he will do more than bring in a wide attacker in January (given the Wellbeck injury). Too many defenders coming back from injury shortly for him to be sure he knows the strengths and weaknesses of that department in January.

I suspect that in the end we will lose out on 4th place this season - albeit narrowly.

Re: Down to Earth .....
Bergmars (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 11:11
Can't see us in top four I would ask why Ramsey seems to be surplus when there are many who are not up to his ability seems madness to me

Under new managment

younghansolo (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 13:37
Quote:
Bergmars
Can't see us in top four I would ask why Ramsey seems to be surplus when there are many who are not up to his ability seems madness to me

I completely agree.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 13:45
Quote:
younghansolo
Quote:
Bergmars

I completely agree.
Its mostly his wage demands and in case we decide to cash in Jan, the squad shouldn't miss him. That's why he is playing others as much as possible. Which i kind of agree, if he is going to get sold, better him playing bit part role which will not give others exposure so we'll have to cover once he moves

younghansolo (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 20:30
I'm not so sure. Wasn't there a deal on the table he was happy with that we pulled away?

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 22:04
Quote:
younghansolo
I'm not so sure. Wasn't there a deal on the table he was happy with that we pulled away?
So happy with it he didnt sign it, and his agent was pushing for more.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Kalela (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 05:14
The injury to Monreal was huge in my opinion. He is good defender and helps the attack a lot. Their isn't a decent replacement there.

As for Ramsey starting, who would he replace? Xhakanos the only player I can think of but that would only work if Ramsey can play with descpline but he hasn't shown he can do that.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

Bergmars (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 06:24
Really he works his socks off fact that Ozil and other high earners can't be arsed to put a shift in makes no sense football or business wise.We are in a dangerous situation and the next four windows will shape the future of the club for years to come.We are in a mess.

Under new managment

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 07:53
Ramsey is useless. He'd make us worse.

We should have kept Cazorla, he's still better than all our CM's even now!

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 17:06
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Ramsey is useless. He'd make us worse.
We should have kept Cazorla, he's still better than all our CM's even now!
He can't run anymore like he heck to mate. And considering you have Torreira in the team isnt that way over the top?

Bergmars (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 17:52
Let's see where Ramsey goes crazy letting him go much less for nothing

Under new managment

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 18:35
I dont think Blackpool was a typical team, quite a few youngsters and we were cruising until Guendouzi got sent off

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Ares (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 19:44
Emery is doing very well using Ramsey as a late option

Much Like Sir Alex Ferguson vis a vis Solskjaer and Larsson

Bergmars (IP Logged)
14 November, 2018 06:00
No coincidence that's when we are out most effective

Under new managment

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2018 11:07
Quote:
Bergmars
No coincidence that's when we are out most effective

He's been shite all season. I din't know what games you're are watching.

Ares (IP Logged)
14 November, 2018 12:11
Ramsey does a lot of things horribly bad

But nothing is completely useless

It's not worth it putting him on for 90 mins for the odd highlight reel moment which in most cases is completely useless

But limit his time to 5 to 10 minutes

It has the effect of filtering out 80 odd minutes of chaff

and leaving us with maybe just one good moment, which if it comes to nothing (most of the time) we can go oh well at least we got that out of the way without having to go through 90 mins of the stuff. If he has his highlight reel moment and something actually happens as a result of it to affect the game then he will look very good and everyone can be happy for him and for the team.

Its better this way than for him to have his last season having a Mega rate of unproductive minutes on the field to a Tiny rate of return.

He's had quite a few injuries, it will be good for him to leave the club in a non fatigued hounded by injury state it is in his best interest to be nice and healthy for his medical when he signs for his new club ... and just in general ... its just a good thing (especially if you have really suffered in the past with injury) to have some light duties / periods of low intensity work out and so on.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2018 12:19 by Ares.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
15 November, 2018 10:41
Our squad is pretty poor. Everyone knew it would take a few transfer windows to see real improvement. We have two players who consistently make individual errors that lead to goals - Xhaka and Mustafi. We don't have any wingers who can dribble effectively, someone in the same vein as mahrez or hazard. That makes us easy to defend against. If a player beats their man with some pace and skill, it drags other defenders out of position and opens up space for players like Ozil to exploit.

I didn't expect the level of improvement we've seen so far. I thought it would happen much slower. We're still a work in progress, but the first 12 games has made me optimistic that Emery has a chance of making the kind of progress we all want in the next 18 months.

Now we badly need Sanellhi and Mistlintat to deliver during the next 2 or 3 transfer windows and we'll be back in business.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
15 November, 2018 11:02
Yes a lot of work to be done yet to be at least challenging for titles.
Expect the summer to be the time when Emery will get rid and make his signings.

Will be fortunate if we make top 4 this season.
And winning Europa league certainly isn't going to be easy.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
16 November, 2018 14:04
Don't see them investing much in the summer. Nothing like van dijk of course. Anyway emery has to first earn a van dijk by making his own coutinho and firminho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net