football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Match against Liverpool - The Moment of Truth
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
01 November, 2018 05:03
We rode out luck stringing 11 wins in a row in all competition.
Can be 13 if not for the blip at Crystal Palace.

Liverpool?
Nobody give us a hope and even diehard Arsenal fans worried about the pace and potency of Salah and Mane tearing our defence to shreds.

The key battle will be n midfield as to whether we are allowed to win the 2nd ball after it is cleared out of defence.
We defend poorly in a sense that virtually all 2nd balls out of defence are won by opponents.

And we are extremely vulnerable to counter-attack as witnessed by Lacazette misplaced pass resulting in Palace equaliser.

Midfield?
Again, we do not know how to press instantly and closed down players instantly.
Poor passes and 2nd ball won by opponents are a receipt for a slaughter versus Liverpool gegenpressing and instant counter-attack with Salah-Frimino-Mane.

I can't see us winning or even keep the score down to a decent 2-0 loss.

Will Emery fields a highly defensive team at home, sacrificing an attack on the flank?

................................. Leno

... Bellerin ... Mustafi ... Sokratis ... Monreal

Maitland-Nile ... Torreia ... Xhaka ... Kolasinac

.............. Lacazette .......... Aubameyang

we need to "double Stack" our flanks to protect against the runs of Salah and Mane.

Both Maitland-Nile and Kolasinac are better as wingback rather than full-back.

Xhaka will be our playmaker - No. 10.

'Most owners take out of the club and Vichai just put in. Without him, we would not have won the Premier League. It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.' Danny Barry, a Leicester City fan for 64 years.

Re: Match against Liverpool - The Moment of Truth
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
01 November, 2018 08:15
If Liverpool are on there A game and we start off like we normally do we could end up 3 or 4 down.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Bergmars (IP Logged)
01 November, 2018 09:54
Yes we will know by Christmas where we really are.

A shadow of what we were

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
01 November, 2018 10:56
Will our fullbacks be fit? That is a massive factor.

If they are, i think we can surprise everyone and get a good result. Key is to start first half like we've been playing most 2nd halves. Once our tail is up and crowd behind us, we can get a result.

Liverpool are good, but the way everyone and our own fans are writing us off at home is like they are Pep Guardiola's Barca (who we still managed to beat once at home).

However if we have a bad first half like usual, then our chance is slim.

goonerred (IP Logged)
01 November, 2018 11:22
I don't think Liverpool is the test, it's too soon. We've been winning matches that we would have drawn or lost last year, that's why we find ourselves in Top 4.How many times were we in front then started messing around until they scored and got confidence with, Wenger making defensive subs and bringing the opposition onto us. Clearly more work is needed but there is a big improvement. I don't expect us to beat Liverpool, I hope I'm wrong. Putting up a good fight would be a start and not imploding like we used to as soon as our first 5 minute intensity didn't yield a goal.

djarse (IP Logged)
01 November, 2018 13:25
If we are still in the game at half time, we have a chance. But Liverpool might be out of sight by then.

The problem is that our defence has still not improved enough, despite adding the excellent Torreira and Leno. Mainly because of injuries, Emery has still not been able to assess what his first choice back 4 would be - he may not know for sure until early New Year when Koscielny & Mavropanos have been able to play some games. I doubt he will buy anyone in defence till the summer.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
01 November, 2018 19:32
I agree with goonerred, too early to make it the big test.
I am more worried about midfield, with Xhaka at leftback and Guendouzi (is he suspended for this match?) possibly missing the midfiled could be weak. We need too proper backs and preferrably Xhaka and Torreira in midfield.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
01 November, 2018 19:52
Quote:
Padre Pio
I agree with goonerred, too early to make it the big test.
I am more worried about midfield, with Xhaka at leftback and Guendouzi (is he suspended for this match?) possibly missing the midfiled could be weak. We need too proper backs and preferrably Xhaka and Torreira in midfield.

Guendouzi is suspended. I'm pretty sure he'll play Xhaka and Torriera in midfield.

Monreal may make it but if not, Maitland Niles is back and i think he can play there. But we desperately need Bellerin to be fit too. Pace on both flanks are key.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
02 November, 2018 01:16
I am confident Emery will figure out a game plan to counter Liverpool's high pressing game. And prep his team accordingly. The old days of relying on only one's own quality against the oppositions are gone. I think Leno starting is key. Ramsey should not start as he is proned to hold on to the ball for too long thereby getting dispossessed. I feel the same about Xhaka but with Guendozi suspended, we may not have a choice. We need speed up front in the form of Aubameyang and Welbeck to keep Liverpool defence from being too adventurous.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 00:07
Looking at Liverpool Forward-3 which is devastating down teh flanks and have the intelligence to run between defenders to latch onto a through ball, we needed to strengthen the flanks, dominate midfield and have a strong centre.

The way to do it is 3-4-3 with 3 no. CB like Juventus, which Lichsteiner is most familiar with, and at least 2 mobile and quick CB who can play FB as well.

Bellerin is a doubt and too risky to play him. Lichsteiner is ready-make for this game in 3-4-3. Kolasinac is a wingback and not a FB, a limited player with poor defensive skill but has the pace and toughness to break up plays in midfield.

................................ Leno

...... Pleguezeulo... Sokratis ... Holding

Lichsteiner ... Torreia ... Xhaka ... Kolasinac

.....................…........Ozil
.......... Lacazette ............... Aubameyang

Our Forward-3 must put in a defensive shift with both Lacazette and Aubameyang tracking and instantly pressing the ball carrier to prevent them with time to pick a pass.

Ozil is our False 9 with a mandate in a free role as No. 10, to link up midfield with attack and to stay upfield as a goal-scoring threat when both Laca and Auba are pressing Mane and Salah, helping out our midfield.

We need a discipline Mourinho's Real Madrid Ozil who will put in a defensive shift and able to transit from midfield to forward quickly with both wingbacks in support and Auba with his deep running into position and Laca instantly moving into the box.

In fact, a mercurial Ozil is the key to winning this match. Which Ozil will turn up to play?

Ball winning in the middle.

It is pointless to intercept and win duels when we always lost the 2nd ball. After winning and interception, the key is to retain the 2nd ball.

Clearing balls out of defence must be improved such that we always win the 2nd ball.
It is pointless to clear the ball out of the box … into the path of a Liverpool player, who will start the next cycle of attack again.
And that is why we were punished by Crystal Palace and why we always started off the pace in the 1st half. We always lost the 2nd ball.

More works need to be done for the players to develop understanding amongst them such our 2nd ball will reach an Arsenal player; and our final pass will reach an Arsenal player.
That's all you will need to beat Liverpool.

'Most owners take out of the club and Vichai just put in. Without him, we would not have won the Premier League. It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.' Danny Barry, a Leicester City fan for 64 years.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 00:39
If Palace can score 2 goals against us with 2 pacy and tricky forwards, I can see Liverpool scoring at least 3 goals against us with the pacy and tricky Forward-3.

Salah and Mane are both deadly predator, running into form, and will not miss most of those clear chances we presented to Crystal Palace, Leicester City, Fulham and Blackpool.

KPI for Emery is - Has he managed to meld Midfield and Defence into a compact unit to stop all those runs through the middle by opponents with clear sporting chance?

I doubt it and Emery may need another 2 to 3 months, right into February to get his balance right with Leno, Sokratis, Torreira and Xhaka as the defensive spine.

Xhaka?
There is simply to replacement for him with Maitland-Niles and Joe Willock still not up to par with Xhaka, and still potential only, still potential unfulfilled.

Guendouzi?
Still work in progress.
But like Diaby, can he remain healthy and fulfilled his potential as another Vieira?
He is more like a regista in the mould of Pirlo with Terreira as his "Gattuso".
Give the lad time to develop and he may turn into a real gem.
if he continues to develop at this rapid rate, he is the natural replacement for Xhaka.

But we need to buy another experienced central midfielder to push Xhaka.
Do we have the budget to buy another experienced midfielder to replace or to push Xhaka?

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 01:06
Posters should read the feature above about Klopping. It took him more than a season to turn it around

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 05:39
How long it took Raineri to win the 2015/16 title?

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 08:37
Ranieri is a one in a million kind of a story. Also it was more of our title to lose when we beat them twice but we blew it inspite our being a stable team and having one of the best overall squad in recent years.

Kalela (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 12:33
Guendouzi as part of a midfield two is, at this stage in his career, a disaster so I am actually glad he is suspended. Xhaka and Torreira have to play until better players can be signed.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

goonerred (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 17:25
Does anyone have a decent link to a stream? Thanks

goonerred (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 17:34
I'm a bit worried about Holding in this match.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
03 November, 2018 19:43
Holding not bad. This result will build confidence. There's a lot to build on, plus we do need some new players. 14 games un beaten well done Emery

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 November, 2018 11:30
We didn't blink, too it on the chin, get up again and went in swinging till the end.
That's the fighting team I want.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
04 November, 2018 14:21
Quote:
Merlion96
We didn't blink, too it on the chin, get up again and went in swinging till the end.
That's the fighting team I want.

You p*ssed when you typed that. (Sm22)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net