football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Our injuries this season
litmus (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 16:07
Are defenders. I can't recall when was the last time that we had no injuries in midfield and forwards at the same time in our 25 man squad. May that continue well into the season.

We are thin in defense though with Sokratis, Monreal and Kolasinac, joining long term injured Koscielny and Mavropanos on the sidelines. Although Sokratis may be back for the next game, we are on thin ice having to name young Zach Medley on the bench for Leicester, with games coming in thick and fast. Good thing that AMN is back available to fill in at LB if needed.

Re: Our injuries this season
Kalela (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 04:04
Quote:
litmus
We are on thin ice having to name young Zach Medley on the bench for Leicester, with games coming in thick and fast.

That Medley is a giant. For his age anyway. Anyhow I was under the impression Mavropanos was back already. Is he still injured? Also none of the injuries, aside from Koscielny, are or were long term so things are different in a better way already in regards to injuries.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

litmus (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 06:36
Mavropanos can be considered somewhat long term injury as he has been out since before the start of the season and like Kos, only due to start full training in November.

From the Arsenal site, I can see Kos has begun some form of light outside training as part of his rehab, not sure if Dino has.

But you are right, our injury record seem to have gotten a lot more better of late. I hope Monreal returns and does not get any more injuries. He is vital player. Seeing the recent games when he was out, he is sorely missed especially going forward.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 07:41
I don't think it's gotten better. We always had lopsided injuries in the past in one area of the pitch resulting in a 'crisis '. Xhaka played left back so that would definitely be termed crisis is previous years.

Sead, monreal, kos, AMN, mavropanos all who can play in defense are still out.

It doesn't look as bad cause we are not playing big teams and we have 3 additional players who are first teamers playing well who were not there before. Torrerira, iwobi and guendouzi. Our midfield and forward has compensated

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 08:04
If Lacazette got injured tho, we will struggle as we have no replacement for what he does. Both aubameyang and welbeck are woefull at linking up and holding the ball up under pressure. If you see, laca is involved /starts most of our moves with his one touch pass back into midfield with his back still to goal (ozils goal against leicster).

Lacazette, torreira and ozil are making the best decisions with ball and have helped carry the team at times. We have replacements for the other two. We infact even replace ozil with a more defensively solid Ramsey, but there is no replacement for laca as aubameyang is useless at what laca does and welbeck is better at hold up play but his goal scoring is not at the required level

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2018 08:09 by CazOnARola.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 13:51
If Lacazette is injured, Aubameyang will be fine even if his link up play is not in the same level. If it's about link up play, Ozil can be played as a false 9.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 18:44
Quote:
SA-Gunner
If Lacazette is injured, Aubameyang will be fine even if his link up play is not in the same level. If it's about link up play, Ozil can be played as a false 9.
The second part won't happen which is why i find Lacazette key. Also because of the way we are playing. Constantly playing to feet. If you notice Torrerira does this a lot, playing into feet of a man who is surrounded into tight spaces. This is how we start most of our attacks where torreira is involved and the man he passes to first is invariably Lacazette, as that pass would typically bypass the first line of defense which is the midfield and allows us to get at the back 4. Best example is ozils goal but throughout the match u still see torreira playing into feet like that.

weedz (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 03:12
I'd suggest that Torreira would be tougher to replace from within our squad. And as his main duties are defensive, it is the defence that is our most vulnerable, injury wise.

I struggle to warm to Mustafi. He's a mistake waiting to happen, IMO. So although Uuni's main thrust last window, was to improve us defensively, we still have some way to go.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 10:57
There are just some topics you don’t need to make a thread about

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

litmus (IP Logged)
29 October, 2018 02:11
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth
There are just some topics you don’t need to make a thread about

You are probably right Jack. But then again, so is half the threads on AT.

But don't you think its incredibly ironic that ALL our injuries (and they are plenty of it) are in defense, and NONE in midfield and forwards. (Back spasm doesn't count as an injury). I don't recall this happening before.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
30 October, 2018 01:12
It does happen to us. Plenty of times. We even had sol Campbell back once during an injury crisis lol. Silvestre and sol campbel at CB against messi and co. Lol.

We have played monreal and debuchy at Centre back. And now when most on berrate xhaka for his lacl of defensive awareness, he is played at left back in an away game against zaha. This is normal at arsenal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net