football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Winning but...
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 19:54
Lets be honest we've been average at best.

We're carring far to many average players who should not be anywhere near the squad, never mind the first XI

8 wins in a row but the wins are papering over the cracks!

Re: Winning but...
SuperRob (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 20:00
True, we are carrying too many average players. Especially in midfield and defence.

However there have been a few noticeable changes.

1. Clinical finishing. In some games this season we've scored every decent chance we've created. Last few seasons we need at least 5 clear cut chances before we score. I can only assume they've started doing more shooting in training.
2. Fitness.
3. Winning mentality. There are no easy games in the premier league, and we've managed to beat teams that we lost to last season even though we aren't playing well.

Hopefully a couple of decent transfer windows in January and the summer and we'll be in a position to challenge again next season. 4 more players of the standard of Torreira and we'll be unrecognisable. And with Sanhelli and Mistlintat, I now actually have some confidence that we might do some decent business in the transfer window.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 20:09
In this winning run we have played some pretty average teams.
Everton & Watford should have been well in front against us.
We are basically getting away with it against these teams.
Meeting the top clubs could be embarrassing.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

tigerline (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 20:27
It has to be asked ... can Steve Bould organise a defence?

There is quite a body of work and it is a putrid corpse indeed.

djarse (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 21:34
Oh come on guys - why so negative ?

Ten games played, 8 won (and the two we lost were against Man City and Chelski - and unlucky to lose that one - and Emery's first 2 games in charge).

8 wins on the trot, 3 clean sheets out of the last 4 with 10 goals scored. Fifth in the premiership, just 4 points off the top, virtually through the group stage of the Europa League already - wouldn't you have taken that at the start of the season?

Think how long it took Pep to sort out Man City. Emery has done pretty well - subbing players not playing well, grinding out wins even when we don't play well - how many times did we say under Wenger "we need to win ugly" - and when we do, everyone moans. And 12 different players have scored for us already this season not including Own Goals!).

Leno looks good, Sokratis is beginning to play well, Guendouzi is a good find, and Torreira a brilliant find. Smith-Rowe beginning to look like a serious first team player.

"Cup half empty, cup half full" and all that - but you lot seem to think the cup is three quarters empty....

Get a grip !

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 21:46
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Lets be honest we've been average at best.
We're carring far to many average players who should not be anywhere near the squad, never mind the first XI

8 wins in a row but the wins are papering over the cracks!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." Joseph Campbell

'If you want to be unhappy, just compare.' Chinese Proverb

'Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.' Winston Churchill

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 22:59
I agree with DJ, a wins a win, 8 in a row, three clean sheets several away wins etc.
Yes we had some luck, but so do a lot of winning teams.
Emery is changing the ethos, look at the heavyweights he put on today. No favourites, no midweek furloughs for his pals, or babies being sent out to lose.
Do you really think that ten years of shoddy defending will get wiped out overnight?
I am enjoying these games, I am reinvigorated, I went to the last lge cup game and I am going to the next. Its interesting whats happening, the guy hasnt inherited the Crown Jewels here, there is quite a lot of rubbish to weed out and replace

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 23:41
The team is winning, being clinical, and keeping clean sheets. This is a better attitude and perfomance than those seen for the last decade.

During the last decade there were some Wenger teams that were easy on the eye, and then they would go and lose to Blackpool. I stay with this one.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 23:43
As soon as we meet a top club it will just be the same old loss.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 08:19
Quote:
Boston Gooner
It possibly will be, but that is because wenger left us far behind the top four, the squad is full of second rate players. It wont change overnight, but what can change fairly quickly is beating teams we should beat, teams outside the top six.
Last season we didnt win one game away in the second half of the year, until it was all over and Wenger was on his farewell tour.
Winning more often away and beating lower teams will be a good start.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

djarse (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 09:53
Only Man City look unbeatable this season - Man U, Spuds especially look there for the taking....And we were unlucky to get nothing from the Chelski game

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 12:53
Quote:
djarse
Only Man City look unbeatable this season - Man U, Spuds especially look there for the taking....And we were unlucky to get nothing from the Chelski game
Not so much unlucky, not sharp enough. We could have had 3 goals at least in the first half

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 13:34
I don't know how people are expecting miracles from Emery at this stage. Personally I'd have liked to have seen more of an improvement in the defence by now, but 8 wins in a row from 10 games isn't bad at all under the circumstances. He's clearly still trying to bed in his ideas and philosophy. It takes time for f.uck sake!

He needs this season at least before people start chatting nonsense. Don't forget he has also inherited a largely bang average team. The table didn't lie last year and we are a 6th place team (at best) these days in terms of squad and the other teams around us have strengthened considerably as well. Whilst Emery wasn't really backed at all in the transfer window so is having to work with what he has and make it work. It might not be pretty but that is exactly what he is doing.

All things considered ... it has been a decent start.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 14:13
Yeah, the negativity is unnecessary and unwarranted. I feel the majority of fans on here generally like a moan. The forum seems quiet when we win, but as soon as we lose, Everyone returns to have a moan either by having a go at the players or manager.

Emery is doing well. Yes, most of the fixtures in this winning run aren't the hardest. However Watford were above us when we played (beat Spurs) & Everton are decent.

It's not easy to take on a new managers instruction and start winning in style straight away. Especially with some of the players in our squad.

We need more positivity around the club in this new era.

litmus (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 14:54
Quote:
Boston Gooner

Well, we have met 2 top teams. While we probably deserved to lose to Man City at home, bear in mind that it was the first competitive game Emery was in charge off with a number of new players in a new system.

Against Chelski, The same way that you can say Arsenal was lucky in some games that we won, you can also say that Chelsea was extremely lucky to win their home game against us. Somehow our players forgot how to score open goals from 6 yards out on that day specifically.

Willy (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 15:34
Agreed Booty - although maybe our squad is a bit better than that. Spuds for example have some top players (some overrated) but lack depth, Mourinho doesn't rate his CBs and keeps starting Fellaini.

tigerline (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 16:00
There is a lot of overreaction going on here.

Pointing out that yesterday's match provided further evidence that our defence is gifting far too many easy goal-scoring opportunities is NOT a blanket criticism of everything that Emery and this group of committed, hard-working players are doing right now.

I am THRILLED with our results and the new direction of the club (FINALLY!).

It is simply a single point of discussion that we are still dealing with a critical weakness in our overall performance.

What can be done to address it?
~ Tactics - Yesterday, Emery experimentied with three at the back. Even if it does not work, THIS IS A POSITIVE STEP. He is trying something.
~ CB - Emery seems to be taking a hard look at Holding as a starter. THIS IS A POSITIVE MOVE. Even if it does not work, he is trying something.
~ DM - Emery is finally getting Torreira into the starting line-up. THIS IS A VERY POSITIVE STEP. Many of us think that he will add an intrinsic layer of protection in front of the back 4 (or 3).
~ Steve Bould - He represents the bridge from our leaky defensive performances under wenger through the present. Hopefully, Emery will review his decision to maintain that dismal record of continuity and make a change for the better.

PhamGiang (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 09:31
Is not it important that they have won?
I think we need positivity

younghansolo (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 10:07
I think 9 wins in a row is pretty good going no matter how you win. If we can play badly but still beat the big boys then I'll be happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net