football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Emery so far
BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 09:31
So what’s everyone’s opinions so far?

Getting Wenger out was a must, so I’d have settled for a lot less just to finally take that step forward. But I am reasonably happy overall to be honest. It goes without saying it is going to take time for Emery to implement his ideas and get his philosophy across to the players. But I think you can see that slowly but surely it is starting to take shape. His MOTM performance to one side, Cech even looked more comfortable yesterday.

The one thing however that concerns me is that I was expecting to see far more improvements defensively by now. We all knew Wenger couldn’t coach a defence to save his life, so for me that was a key area we needed to improve and fast. But the defending is absolutely terrible and there look to be no signs of it getting any better yet. We somehow got away with it again yesterday, but it was school boy defending at best and Cech’s saves simply just papered over the cracks.

What Bould is still doing at the club I’ll never know, but we have to see improvements defensively soon or we are going to really struggle to progress this season.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Re: Emery so far
Bergmars (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 13:43
There will be no top four this term that's for sure it will be this time next year to judge him.No difference at all as yet but give it time.

Under new managment

tigerline (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 15:19
Exactly.
The returning players notwithstanding, the retention of Bould is the most likely culprit of our failure to recognise or deficiencies and address them in any meaningful way.

I am hopeful that Torreira anchors the base of midfield in a big, big way.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 15:42
I think we need to keep some perspective and remember how we were all feeling this time last year (and this time every year for the last 5 or 6 years). And considering Wenger was responsible for transfers as well, we also need to take into account that change as well. Not to mention the completely new coaching staff (including a new goalkeeping coach and medical staff at last!)

One sentiment was that "there is no one who could possibly replace Wenger", "be careful what you wish for", "grass is always greener" etc.

My feeling was that the decline couldn't go on and there were no signs that Wenger would be able to turn things around. And I was prepared to accept a change that would see us get worse in the short term (like Utd under Moyes) so that we could have a chance of getting better in the future.

Turns out we've ended up with a coach who has won 8 trophies in the last 5 seasons, a new head scout who unearthed some of the best players in the world at Dortmund and a director of football who has done some of the biggest transfer deals in the history of football (eg Neymar).

And all that change has happened and as yet we aren't any worse than we were this time last year. After 6 games we're same points as Spurs and 2 points ahead of Utd. Many were predicting a complete collapse as soon as Wenger left which hasn't happened.

So firstly on the pitch. We've ridden our luck defensively at times. We haven't played spectacularly well in any game yet. But we're still managing to win games. We've showed actual character and belief that Wenger spoke about so often but we rarely ever saw in the matches in recent years, especially away from home. We're creating fewer chances than before, but we're converting more of them.

I like that more players are being given a chance, or more accurately that players are less certain that they are automatic starters. There are no outfield players who have played every minute this season and even the most established players have been dropped or subbed at least once.

The performance of certain players seem to be improving slightly even though it's very early to know if these are one off performances. In the last couple of games we've seen much more promising displays from Iwobi, Cech, Bellerin and even Xhaka who were all stagnating badly under Wenger.

I agree I would have liked to have seen more defensive organisation, but it's understandable that this will take a lot of coaching and a couple more changes of personel to get it right (ie getting Mustafi and Xhaka out of the team).

And finally I like that the coach clearly isn't happy with parts of our performances and keeps saying we need to improve, even when we are winning. In basically every interview he has said we need to control the game better and get better balance between attack and defence.

On to the transfer side, I actually think we did decent business in the first transfer window without Wenger for a side not in the Champions league without a man city size budget. Torreira is the star attraction and I think could be the answer to a problem we haven't addressed since Gilberto left the club. Sokratis also looks a decent signing, despite us needing to improve defensively as a whole.

And overall the approach seemed much better. In recent years our strategy has basically been to wait until the end and see who was available. Sometimes it turned out that big players became available like Ozil and Alexis, but more often than not we ended up with players like Squillaci and Andre Santos. This summer we identified players that we needed in specific positions and went and got them early on. Ok so they weren't star names, but they were players we wanted in positions we needed players, which meant that at the start of the season we weren't desperately searching around for anyone who was available at the last minute. I'd much prefer us to sign 3 players for £25 million each summer than hanging around until the end of the window and ending up with 20 flops for every one £50m player we manage to find.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 18:02
Comments from Petr cech:

"We started with the new manager from scratch basically and we try to get this mentality of winning every game, progressing every game, working every day and hopefully we can build this up and win the title sooner rather than later. That will make the big difference."

Unai Emery replaced Arsene Wenger this summer, with the Frenchman departing the Emirates after 22 years at the club.

Cech joined the club three years ago, and says he feels Arsenal under Wenger were guilty of prioritising performances over results.

"I would say 'the Arsenal way' was more important than getting the points sometimes and this is not how you win the league," Cech said.

"Sometimes you need to make sure you win an ugly game, when you are not playing completely well but you just dig deep, close the back door and win 1-0 no matter how. I think this is what we lacked since I arrived, over the last three years.

"Yesterday we showed, going through difficult moments in the game, we managed to get the win with the clean sheet so this is very positive.

Cech also revealed that he believes Emery's arrival has raised standards at Arsenal. He said: "I think the place became much more demanding in every way.

"This is great to see because this is what initially drives everybody forward and gives you the kind of kick that 'I'm not doing enough to start the game' or 'I'm not doing enough to keep my spot in the game'."

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 16:27
He's doing as well as expected so far. Lost two games against the last two League champs and won the other games against lesser teams. If we win against most of the lesser teams and a couple big wins at home. That's generally enough for a Top 4 spot.

We still have massive issues with defending which i'm hoping Koseilny helps to solve in the short term. Also i haven't really seen us pressing teams that often.

Positive
Makes changes when things are going well
Plays Auba and Laca together
Cech has improved from last season

Negatives
Defence is still crap
He still doesn't know his best midfield combo
Not dominating games against the lesser teams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2018 12:16 by Gooner Sod.

goonerred (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 10:32
It's too early to judge and Emery needs time. I am a bit cautious with our 6th place as we've beaten teams at the bottom end with only one win or no wins under their belt so far. We lost to two of the best teams and there will be sterner tests from the middle table teams.Given Watford's start, Saturday will be a better gauge of where we are.

SandyB (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 21:47
Emery is doing a good job. He's still attacking manager, so far couldn't do much on defensive side but trying to bring the nastyness in the team. I've high hope on him in Europa.

Kalela (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 06:22
The poor defense is because of personnel issue. When nervous wreck like Mustafi is your 2nd most experienced center back available then you can't expect much from the defense. As Holding and Mavropanos get more game time and more experience the teams defense will improve.It wouldn't hurt to have another defensive midfielder to play alongside Torreira. Xhaka is doing a decent job at the moment but his lack of pace is a problem.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 10:05
Xhaka is s.hit mate.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

tigerline (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 10:12
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Xhaka is s.hit mate.

Among our current players, a midfield pairing of Torreira and Guendouzi is our future.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 11:03
Guendouzi is worse defensively than Xhaka.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 11:15
Xhaka does zero defensively (or offensively for that matter), so I struggle to see how Guendouzi can be worse.

Guendouzi is also young and has plenty of time to improve. Whereas Xhaka has been completely useless in every aspect of the game since the day he arrived.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 11:21
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Xhaka does zero defensively (or offensively for that matter), so I struggle to see how Guendouzi can be worse.
Guendouzi is also young and has plenty of time to improve. Whereas Xhaka has been completely useless in every aspect of the game since the day he arrived.

This is simply not true. Xhaka has already scored and assisted a goal in the league this season. Contributed more than Ozil, Ramsey and Guendouzi as things stand. So he obviously does something offensively. Try to be more objective.

He's currently rated as our best performer this season in them Skysports power rankings, so statistically hes not useless.

I think both players should be rotated along with Ramsey depending on the game. Torreira has to play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2018 11:21 by Gooner Sod.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 12:15
Quote:
BootyDaddy

Don't get me wrong, I think Xhaka is terrible and personally responsible for many of the goals we concede. But Guendouzi is even worse positionally, lazy at tracking back, can't tackle and takes too many risks on the ball at inappropriate times in inappropriate areas.

Point taken about him being young and he definitely has potentail, especially with his vision, and hopefully he will improve in all aspects, but right now he can't be our starting centre midfielder.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 13:22
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
BootyDaddy

This is simply not true. Xhaka has already scored and assisted a goal in the league this season. Contributed more than Ozil, Ramsey and Guendouzi as things stand. So he obviously does something offensively. Try to be more objective.

He's currently rated as our best performer this season in them Skysports power rankings, so statistically hes not useless.

I think both players should be rotated along with Ramsey depending on the game. Torreira has to play.

Yes I see your point, 4 PL goals in his 3 seasons so far is certainly grounds to get excited about his offensive contribution.

I don't know or care what 'skysports power rankings' are either. They can't be anything worthwhile anyway as I trust my own eyes, so assume they mean wander around in midfield aimlessly and do nothing at either end of the pitch.

The guy is s.hit.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 13:24
Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
BootyDaddy

Don't get me wrong, I think Xhaka is terrible and personally responsible for many of the goals we concede. But Guendouzi is even worse positionally, lazy at tracking back, can't tackle and takes too many risks on the ball at inappropriate times in inappropriate areas.

Point taken about him being young and he definitely has potentail, especially with his vision, and hopefully he will improve in all aspects, but right now he can't be our starting centre midfielder.

Good point and nor can Ramsey as he's probably been the worst of the 3 so far. I think we need to play 2 of 3 before someone actually claims that spot. I don't agree with Xhaka starting every game though.

celine dion (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 18:28
I think he's done superb personally, as well as he was likely to do, perhaps even better in fact. You can write off the first two games, he was never going to win them, and in fact he came pretty close to getting something from Chelsea.

these aren't even his players dont forget. You can bet your life some of these characters wont be about in a years time.

Yet despite the fact that he's clearly trying to fit what he's got into his formation and style of play, (Cech passing the ball about, Aubameyang wide, etc etc), he's demonstrated the consistent ability to spot what was going wrong in games, make early changes and WIN the actual games. Wenger would not have won the Cardiff game, no way, not once they scored their second goal, Wengers side would have been all over the shop, I also dont expect they would have ground out the win at Newcastle because they would have been too gung-ho and got caught on the counter attack even worse that this lot did. At home, yes, its not been very tidy but they've won by the same margins Wenger would have, perhaps not quite the same flowing football but thats hardly relevant.

Seriously, if this is the amount of wins he can get without his own team, trying to coach them into a style of play, imagine what he'll be like in a year or twos time. Arsene who?

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 04:14
Too early to render judgement.
I will wait till November where traditionally, ManU, Man City, Liverpool and Chelski will start to get their acts together and accelerate towards top of table.

'Love is a dream, wholly subjective. People fall in love with the most extraordinary people' Nancy Mitford.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 09:18
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
BootyDaddy

Yes I see your point, 4 PL goals in his 3 seasons so far is certainly grounds to get excited about his offensive contribution.

I don't know or care what 'skysports power rankings' are either. They can't be anything worthwhile anyway as I trust my own eyes, so assume they mean wander around in midfield aimlessly and do nothing at either end of the pitch.

The guy is s.hit.

Well maybe don't use words like 'Whereas Xhaka has been completely useless in every aspect of the game since the day he arrived.'if you don't want to be called out on it. There's no need for hyperbole.

The truth is i'd say at least half of the first team have been underperfoming for the last few seasons including Xhaka (Mustafi, Bellerin, Cech, Ramsey, Ozil). So we need to judge some of them on this season and not some dislike we have against the players under Wenger.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 12:01
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
BootyDaddy

The guy is s.hit.

Well maybe don't use words like 'Whereas Xhaka has been completely useless in every aspect of the game since the day he arrived.'if you don't want to be called out on it. There's no need for hyperbole.

Xhaka has been completely useless in every aspect of the game since the day he arrived.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 00:52
Xhska's issue is he is very slow on and off the bsll. His distribution is first class and that is imo his only redeeming quality. Takes too long to bring the ball under control and gets dispossessed easily.

Trent2000 (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 12:37
What I like about this team, is that Emery makes changes and is not using the old hierarchy to dictate his decision making. This makes all spots competitive and you have to perform or fear being dropped. He also helped in letting Jack go, which has to resonate in the team and the attitude going forward. I think in two years this team will look completely different and we might be surprised at the performance of it, we just have to be patient.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 13:00
He still plays Özil out of position
Still starts Ramsey ahead of Mhki
Still plays Auba out wide instead of finding a easy to play 2 up top
Overloads our fullbacks with defensive responsibility, as they get no help from Özil and Auba
Very rigid tactically
The creativity is almost none existent
He got rid of jack and talked about building around a player he doesn’t want anymore

He’s useless but we are winning so all these things don’t matter until they do

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

celine dion (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 18:35
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth
Overloads our fullbacks with defensive responsibility, as they get no help from Özil and Auba
Very rigid tactically
He got rid of jack and talked about building around a player he doesn’t want anymore

Have you noticed how West Ham have become astronomically better since Wilshere got injured?

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 23:56
Quote:
celine dion
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth
Very rigid tactically

Have you noticed how West Ham have become astronomically better since Wilshere got injured?

That's hitting below the belt (Sm6)

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 00:12
Alex Iwobi has revealed he has lost weight as a result of Unai Emery’s intense Arsenal training sessions. The academy graduate burst onto the scene midway through the 2015/16 season but lost his way during the latter stages of Arsene Wenger’s tenure.

Emery reported highlighted the Nigeria international’s potential during the interview process prior to his appointment and Iwobi certainly appears to be repaying his new manager’s faith.

The 22-year-old came off the bench on Saturday and had a decisive impact against Watford as Arsenal secured their seventh straight win in all competitions, courtesy of two late goals.

Iwobi’s cross forced Craig Cathcart to put through his own goal, before playing a part in the build-up to Mesut Ozil’s third goal in four games.

Speaking about the impact Emery has had on him, Iwobi said: ‘I’m more positive & more confident with the ball. ‘The boss has basically told me if something doesn’t work, keep going & don’t dwell on it.

He’s told me to stop being so critical & to just keep trying no matter what happens, no matter if things don’t go as I want them to.

‘That’s given me a lot more confidence to try a few more things, like beat a player, to shoot more. I’m always ready to get on the ball a bit more. I’ve lost a bit of weight because of the intense training & I think its made me a bit sharper. ‘Obviously the main thing is the team do well.

But if I can a few more goals that would be a bonus. The main thing the boss stresses is to get in the positions to score. I scored against Brentford but I was offside. I had another chance too & I just need to convert them.’

Read more: [metro.co.uk]
Twitter: [twitter.com] | Facebook: [www.facebook.com]

Alex Iwobi is the smoking gun on what Emery had brought to Arsenal FC so far.

Once hailed as the most technical gifted Academy products, he had stagnant for the past 2 seasons under Arsene Wenger … a bit-part player, low on confidence and desperately trying too hard to please the fans instead of staying calm and played for the team.

Look at his impact as a starter and as a supersub.
he transformed the entire Watford game when he came in, adding fresh impetus and start linking up Forward-3 with MIDFIELD>

One thing I love about the new Iwobi is his willingness to track back and match-fit to inter-changing from flank to flank with Welbeck and Ozil.

We also saw a more direct-running Welbeck who won balls in the middle and setup the first goal with a pass to Iwobi and then an assist for the 2nd goal.

Both of them is a positive indication of what is to come when the team should gel by November or else Emery needs to cull the old Arsene Wenger leftovers and bring in new players in January 2019.

Perhaps Ever Banega or Rabiot is the missing link we needed in the middle to command and control the middle.

Open verdict on Xhaka, who will need to improve and to start to develop telegraphic understand with Forward-3 to deliver more telling passes with his accurate long passes. More assists - say 10+ assists in 2018 - from Xhaka will mean he is a success.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 10:39
Quote:
celine dion
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth
Very rigid tactically

Nope

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

celine dion (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 18:41
Ok, well, basically heres their results this season to help you.

Liverpool 4 West Ham 0
West Ham 1 Bournemouth 2
Arsenal 3 West Ham 1
West Ham 0 Wolves 1

*** WILSHERE INJURY ***

Everton 1 West Ham 3
West Ham 0 Chelsea 0
West Ham 8 Macclesfield 0
West Ham 3 Man utd 1

West Ham also beat 10 man Wimbledon 3-1 when Wilshere was fit, but thats probably because he didnt play.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net