football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

2 away wins on the bounce
Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:21
Two wins away from home which we didn't do all last season. Second ha;f performance was impressive.

3 of our next 4 games are at home and we don't play a top6 team until Liverpool 3rd Nov.

Things are looking up, we may have a top4 chance if Man Utd and Spurs keep slipping up.

But that defence is still shocking, and there's no sign of improvement. And Torreira has to start!

Re: 2 away wins on the bounce
djarse (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:03
I didnt see the game but I notice that Sky made Sokratis the Man of the Match, citing two brilliant saving tackles - is that accurate ?

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:55
I saw it at the Emirates on the screens, Sokratis was excellent as was Cech.
Lacca also very good

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:27
I recorded the game and will watch it tonight.

djarse (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:37
Three wins on the trot - any reason why we shouldn't win the next 7 (2 Europa, and I Carabao)?

Europa 20 Sep H Vorskla
PL 23 Sep H Everton
CC 25/26 Sep H Brentford
PL 29 Sep H Watford
EL 4 Oct A Qarabag
PL 7 Oct A Fulham
PL 22 Oct H Leicester
ce

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:47
I like it that Emery is not afraid to make changes at half time to improve the game for Arsenal. Positive change for me. I think Emery is saving Torreira as he may not be fit enough to last a full game. As well, I am surprised Holding is not starting as he is more comfortsble on the ball than Mustafi. I expect Emery to ring in changes for this Thursday Europa game.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:21
Only 2 more away wins needed to match last season

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 21:34
We've been shite for all the 5 games. Not good enough and it will catch up with us soon if we don't improve in all areas very quickly!

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 23:40
Give the bloke a chance, he's had 5 games. I find it interesting what he is doing.
Sokratis is beginning to settle in, Torreira was class today when he came on. Of course its got to be improved but 10 years of stagnation is not going to be put right overnight.
And this might cause some howls I even thought Granny had a decent game today

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 00:39
Quote:
Padre Pio
Give the bloke a chance, he's had 5 games. I find it interesting what he is doing.
Sokratis is beginning to settle in, Torreira was class today when he came on. Of course its got to be improved but 10 years of stagnation is not going to be put right overnight.

Like i said, Xhaka has looked good everytime he's been on the field with Toreirra.

We need him in midfeild as Ramsey will not be disciplined enough.

litmus (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 07:30
My observations - I am concerned about Ramsey's lack of form. Ozil too, besides the goal he didnt create a lot of chances.

Torreira was great again although he should have done better with the clear shot on goal. Love his hussle when he was on the ground and still won the ball. Xhaka was good, not just the goal but overall with his distribution. Was instrumental in the 2nd goal too. Sokratis was good and I can't wait for him and Kos to be our main CB pairing. Cech was great I thought. Commanded the skies well, especially since Newcastle had lot of corners.

Second half we were better playing with a higher tempo, and moving the ball faster.

Our left side defend needs to improve massively, too many crosses are getting thru especially late on. Monreal's age might be a factor. We should have switched to a back 3 with 3 CBs in a 3-4-3 with 2 wide midfielders when we were 2-0 up. Dissapointed with another no clean sheet.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 07:40
Quote:
Padre Pio

I said it will tske time but I exoected to see a different way off playing. Right now it's the same way as under Wenger mainly.

The pressing game has stopped. No tactical discipline. Not much as changed yet.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 16:52
I think you can't do pressing game when you don't have the players for it.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 19:24
We've won two away games in a row so that's changed. Last time we did that was almost 12 months ago

younghansolo (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 09:53
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Quote:
Padre Pio

I said it will tske time but I exoected to see a different way off playing. Right now it's the same way as under Wenger mainly.

The pressing game has stopped. No tactical discipline. Not much as changed yet.

This is where I'm at as well. I'm sure it will come but I definitely expected to have noticed more change by now. Even if it were just personnel.

I'm excited by Torreira though. Really love the way he plays. Pure heart.

As bad as things were under Wenger in recent years, I do think we need to remember that we got to the europa semi last season (and possibly should have won that) we got to the League cup final as well.

The years before that we won major trophies as well. The performances were certainly on the decline and Wenger was way past his best, but we were in a fairly good place overall if you look objectively.

I slightly take umbrage at some fans assertion that we were an utter shambles, like we were finishing twelfth.

IMO this manager has every opportunity to take a half decent squad and make it a winning squad.

Ares (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 11:44
The cross came in from the left Bellerin was no where near the right back position - I think I saw him approaching the edge of the box as the ball hit the net in the back of the goal

Our 2 CB's hadn't got back yet Moneal couldn't let him play it inside so he let him hit a wide cross - this is where his oppositte number would have forced his guy inside, forced him to take an extra touch, forced him tecalculate and on to his weaker foot in an area (well covered now) with no space.

There would have been no goal with Lichsteiner obstucting his guy and the ball going out for a throw to Arsenal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 11:49 by Ares.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net