football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Granit Xhaka
Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 13:57
Good unbiased article from Sky Sports about Granit Xhaka

Sky Sports Article

Basically the stats prove hes shocking defensively as we all knew but key in terms of linking up in the attacking third. Which i don't think a lot of people give him credit for.

As i mentioned before, i've noticed he looks better with a Torreira on the pitch so maybe this is the partnership going forward. With Guendouzi starting less games.

So it's understandable that Emery hasn't dropped him from day 1 like people are clamouring for.

Re: Granit Xhaka
Goofle (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 14:03
Why waste having a player in the team who adds nothing? You are limiting what we can do on the pitch. You could either have a more dynamic defensive player alongside Torreira (Guendouzi), or have Ramsey alongside him, who makes us stronger going forward.

Xhaka doesn't improve us on either side of the pitch or even in terms of possession.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 14:19
Xhaka is a terrible player end of.
He does nothing well.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 15:15
Quote:
Goofle
Why waste having a player in the team who adds nothing? You are limiting what we can do on the pitch. You could either have a more dynamic defensive player alongside Torreira (Guendouzi), or have Ramsey alongside him, who makes us stronger going forward.
Xhaka doesn't improve us on either side of the pitch or even in terms of possession.

That's the point of me adding the article. If you read it, you might actually see he does add something on the pitch offensively.

I'm not his biggest fan but i'm objective. Guendouzi is a talent and i'm super excited but he's raw.

I know of your Ramsey love but hes too much hit and miss. If he can return to the form of the season we won our first trophy in 9years, then no doubt he should be in CM alongside Torriera.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 18:54
We can't defend worth s.hit and Xhaka doesn't help that in the slightest.

We do have good attacking players though, that is well known. So I fail to see how him being involved in goals is anything to shout about. How many times does he make the killer pass? Hardly ever I'd hazard a guess.

I could do f.uck all defensively and roam forward just to make a sideways pass to a creative player which eventually leads to a goal.

Xhaka is f.ucking s.hite.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 07:20
Its the old assist to the assist of which Hleb was the master, and we never missed him either

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 10:43
Fair enough but is a raw Guendouzi or Ramsey the answer? We will see.

Whatever happens it's interesting to see how the season and team unfolds.

12 September, 2018 11:02
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Fair enough but is a raw Guendouzi or Ramsey the answer? We will see.
Whatever happens it's interesting to see how the season and team unfolds.

Of course there not.

litmus (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 11:23
Xhaka does not meet with many of your expectations of a midfield, I get that. In fact many of our midfielders since the days of Gilberto, Vieira, Petit has failed to do so. Cesc was probably the best since then but he also has his weaknesses, i.e. not very strong defensively, lack leadership when the going gets tough. Ramsey had only one really good year, and is hit and miss most of the time.

However, the hate that I see from fans is unbelievable. I think most fans have the knives out for him even before any game starts. I have no illusions about Xhaka, but to deem him as totally useless is a going a bit far. In many of our games last season, often he did more than the likes of Ozil and Ramsey, and Iwobi whom were totally ineffective most games. I saw him winning balls, and disrupting opponents attack and more than a couple of occasions gave the final pass that led to goals. I also remembered he made a number of assists to Alexis and others back then. So I would not agree that he is totally useless. Now, that does not compensate for his defensive gaffes and stray passes but to say he adds nothing?? I have to disagree.

Yes, he is not a great defensive midfielder and he is no Kante, but I believe I am quite objective of all players - he might not be good enough compared to a Vieira and Petit, even Parlour for the CM position, so my question is why did Arsenal buy him in the first place? Surely in this day and age, you would know almost everything about a player's abilities, weaknesses, pace, style, agressiveness, so why did the club buy him to play in this system and put him in the DM position?

To me, he is not a DM, but he can be played in front of the DM, in a variety of midfield formation with Torreira in front of the back four. To me that's where he be more effective. Its up to Emery to work him in the best system or if not, then Unai will decide. I am sure that if he really is poor, he will get benched.

Goofle (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 12:01
Xhaka doesn't add anything offensively. He just happens to be in the team and therefore is the one making passes, so why wouldn't the stats say he helps us going forward?

Never rely on stats to prove something your eyes can absolutely disregard.

12 September, 2018 12:06
He is a liability.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 13:39
It would be better to partner Torreira with Ramsey. While Ramsey's passing range is not as good as Xhaka, Ramsey can score goals and gives our creative players another option with his running into the box from deep - both of which Xhaka does not give to the team.

tigerline (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 14:39
Torreira - Guendouzi - Ramsey in midfield.

Xhaka sits.

All three are very active players that cover a lot of ground.
Torreira and Guendouzi have the anticipation and ability to snuff out drives and make interceptions to begin our own counters. guendouzi adds the height on 50/50 balls that counterbalances Torreira.

Guendouzi and Ramsey are both integral offensive players.
I still think that Ramsey can be trained to mesh better up front with added talent around him. These two combined with Ozil, Auba, and Laca will score goals.

Goofle (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 15:16
Why have Guendouzi? I like him a lot, but wouldn't you rather have a team that's set up to win games?

Sure, Ramsey doesn't offer as much protection simply due to him being more adventurous (although he is better defensively than both the alternatives), but we don't need that in most games.

You see us playing Cardiff with two DM's and it's suicide-inducing football. I would rather not watch our games lately.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 20:01
Yes Ramsey certainly makes us easy on the eye when he turns up once every 5 games.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

SuperRob (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 22:20
I can't remember the last time Ramsey played in his best position. He's no worse than xhaka defensively, and he certainly offers more going forward.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 07:59
Bet there's a few clubs ready to take Ramsey in either January or the summer

A shadow of what we were

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 10:13
Ramsey should have been f.ucked off in the summer. Have we learned nothing from Wenger's incompetence around contracts and in particular the Sanchez saga?

Bergmars (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 10:51
It's scandalous verging on the negligent

A shadow of what we were

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 12:10
Quote:
litmus
Xhaka does not meet with many of your expectations of a midfield, I get that. In fact many of our midfielders since the days of Gilberto, Vieira, Petit has failed to do so. Cesc was probably the best since then but he also has his weaknesses, i.e. not very strong defensively, lack leadership when the going gets tough. Ramsey had only one really good year, and is hit and miss most of the time.
However, the hate that I see from fans is unbelievable. I think most fans have the knives out for him even before any game starts. I have no illusions about Xhaka, but to deem him as totally useless is a going a bit far. In many of our games last season, often he did more than the likes of Ozil and Ramsey, and Iwobi whom were totally ineffective most games. I saw him winning balls, and disrupting opponents attack and more than a couple of occasions gave the final pass that led to goals. I also remembered he made a number of assists to Alexis and others back then. So I would not agree that he is totally useless. Now, that does not compensate for his defensive gaffes and stray passes but to say he adds nothing?? I have to disagree.

Yes, he is not a great defensive midfielder and he is no Kante, but I believe I am quite objective of all players - he might not be good enough compared to a Vieira and Petit, even Parlour for the CM position, so my question is why did Arsenal buy him in the first place? Surely in this day and age, you would know almost everything about a player's abilities, weaknesses, pace, style, agressiveness, so why did the club buy him to play in this system and put him in the DM position?

To me, he is not a DM, but he can be played in front of the DM, in a variety of midfield formation with Torreira in front of the back four. To me that's where he be more effective. Its up to Emery to work him in the best system or if not, then Unai will decide. I am sure that if he really is poor, he will get benched.

Good write up. That is exactly my point of view. But i find with most fans, they focus their anger on certain players and never truely objective.

We all know Ramsey is inconsistent and injury prone and Guendouzi is raw. Yet most people is clamouring for Xhaka never to start a league game again.

Goofle (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:29
Playing Xhaka ahead of a DM is suicidal. He's not good enough at anything to justify his inclusion. You are weakening the team in two respects.

1. He's rubbish.

2. Somebody else could be there.

Ares (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 20:07
Quote:
litmus

litmus your words have merit

you are a credit to the internet

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:38
It doesn't help Xhaka that he's had no support in midfield, with Ramsey glory hunting upfront!

Ares (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 09:37
what GS Said

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 16:58
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
It doesn't help Xhaka that he's had no support in midfield, with Ramsey glory hunting upfront!

I agree with you here. Xhaka looks much better when playing for Switzerland. It's not much he can do when his partner is Ramsey, or worse, like last season's Elneny.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 19:19
Quote:
SA-Gunner
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

I agree with you here. Xhaka looks much better when playing for Switzerland. It's not much he can do when his partner is Ramsey, or worse, like last season's Elneny.
Well he could, for example, not pass the ball directly to their forwards. Or maybe he could try not taking 5 minutes to turn and pass to the full back. Or maybe he could try not letting the opposition midfielders walk past him without even challenging.

Torriera has managed to look like a decent player playing alongside Ramsey and xhaka.

Sometimes you can excuse players because of the system they are in, for example I think any centre back would have a tough time at arsenal because they get no protection from the fullbacks or midfield. But you can't blame other players for the numerous individual mistakes that xhaka makes every game.

Last season the two players who made the most individual errors that lead to goals in the whole league were mustafi and xhaka.

djarse (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 14:10
According to the Power rankings, Xhaka was a top premiership over the past month - just sayin'.....

[www.skysports.com]

Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 18:40
Quote:
djarse
According to the Power rankings, Xhaka was a top premiership over the past month - just sayin'.....
[www.skysports.com]

Doesn't matter, most people have made their minds up about him. Even though he seems to be getting better under Emery.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 18:41
Quote:
Gooner Sod
Quote:
djarse
[www.skysports.com]

Doesn't matter, most people have made their minds up about him. Even though he seems to be getting better under Emery.
I think he might be getting better, its worth persevering for a while

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

18 September, 2018 19:06
He isn't any better.
He's just a poor player.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 17:55
Quote:
Boston Gooner
He isn't any better.
He's just a poor player.

This.

Those power ratings are bs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net