football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

U23s v Tottenham
MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 19:09
Game is live on the Arsenal website. We're 1-0 up following a Joe Willock goal.

-------------Martinez

Olowu - Ballard - Pleguezuelo - Bola

--------Gilmour - Willock

Amaechi - Smith-Rowe - Olayinka

-----------John-Jules

Subs:

Okonkwo, Sheaf, Burton, Saka, Balogun.

Re: U23s v Tottenham
MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 19:20
Chants of "we want Wenger out" followed by chants of "Arsene Wenger he's one of our own" lol.

Pleguezuelo is in fine form at the moment. Trained with the first team recently as well.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 19:33
Joe Willock just missed a one-on-one. Got played through but didn't really have the pace to pull away from his marker.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 19:38
Smith-Rowe with a great finish from a very tight angle but its disallowed for offside.

Great finish like that Kanu one against Chelsea.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 19:47
Half time 1-0. Could easily be 3 or 4.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 20:09
Sheaf on for Olowu. Pleguezuelo moves to right back.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 20:10
Smith-Rowe smacks the post with a great effort from outside the area.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 20:16
John-Jules makes it 2-0 with a good finish after the ball broke to him following Olayinkaa's burst into the penalty area.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 20:36
Saka bought down in the penalty area... penalty given!

Gilmour steps up... saved!

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 20:41
Kicking off here. Spurs players are fighting with Arsenal players and amongst themselves.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 20:42
One Spurs player sent off and two Arsenal players booked. Another Spurs player, who kicked it all off and was on a booking, has got away with it.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 20:52
Spurs left back, who has had a torrid time, pulls one back let on.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 21:22
Full time 2-1.

Should've won by a wider margin as we dominated throughout and could've realistically been 3 or 4-0 up at half time, and had a number of good opportunities in the second half, including a missed penalty. Spurs only really got into our penalty area once and that was when they scored their consolation goal.

Obviously with a new manager we'll be trying to play to his style right through our reserves and academy. I noticed today that we played out from the back very well, but I think the intense high press took its toll on some of the players as I noticed a few struggling with cramp and tight hamstrings.

Players who impressed me:

Daniel Ballard impressed me at centre half, particularly in the first half. He's like a proper old school, strong, powerful, commanding centre back, but I suspect his possible lack of quality on the ball will prevent him making it at the highest level.

Julio Plegueuzuelo was quality in two positions. He was almost faultless at centre half and was equally as good when he moved to right back. His reading of the game is excellent and he is so passionate.

Although he missed a penalty, I was impressed by young Scottish midfielder Charlie Gilmour. He is very comfortable with the ball at his feet, even under pressure, and played a couple of quality switch balls on his weaker foot. He was combative as well.

Joe Willock is a funny player as I've watched him quite a lot but never really been impressed by him. Today, however, he really drove us forward playing as our box-to-box midfielder. He covered a lot of ground, got stuck in, scored one and could've had another.

Emile Smith-Rowe started off quietly but grew into the game and put in a typical Smith-Rowe performance. He could've scored a couple and was disappointed to go off.

Xavier Amaechi must be a nightmare to play against. He is very fast, good on the ball and very, very skillful. He tore Spurs left back inside out. Finishing and crossing are areas he needs to improve, though.

Tyreece John-Jules also impressed me upfront. He assisted Willock's opener before scoring himself and coming close with a header later on. He did not stop running all game, pressing hard and defending from the front. Impressive physically.

Ben Sheaf, off the bench on his return from injury, saw a lot of the ball when he came on and was very assured in possession, as usual.

Bukayo Saka, only 16, was so dangerous of the bench with his pace, movement and crossing. Needs to keep playing at this level - great talent.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 00:28
Sounds like the Wenger bug is still in the system. Dominate possession but wasteful in front of goal. Poor defending where opponent gets one shot at goal and they score. Emery will need ta few years to purge the Wenger bug.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 07:30
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Sounds like the Wenger bug is still in the system. Dominate possession but wasteful in front of goal. Poor defending where opponent gets one shot at goal and they score. Emery will need ta few years to purge the Wenger bug.

End product definitely needed to be better but I was impressed how well the U23s played to Emery's style.

Flava (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 10:04
Do you think we’ll see Smith-Rowe in the Europa league and Carabao Cup, Matty?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 14:41
Quote:
Flava
Do you think we’ll see Smith-Rowe in the Europa league and Carabao Cup, Matty?

100% mate. He was being linked with some Championship/ overseas clubs on loan but Emery quashed any talk of a temporary exit. With Nelson gone he'll jump up a place in the pecking order and should feature in the secondary competitions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net